Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Cover for sewer hose fell off!

Help! While driving back from my trip to Mammoth mountain i made the mastake of driving through the rough pothole freeway system of downtown Los Angeles. I was washing my AS today and noticed my bright red EZ hose and the cover were gone ! Evendently the extreme bouncing rattled the cap cover off

I do recall a car or two honking their horns but I didn't at that time think they would be honking at me?!

So, here is my question. Do any of you guys know where I can get a replacement cap cover for the 3" storage tube?

Thanks in advance.

Safari=Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:37 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I was able to order a new cap from a local RV dealer.
My cap started to turn more easily then one day while making a turn to my surprise I see in my mirror that my hose was dragging just in front of the tires. Put the damaged hose back in the carrier and used duct tape to keep the cap on the rest of the trip.

Larry Ruebel
Bismarck ND
2002 Safari 27
Ruebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Rick, ya must have been on the I 10 or Santa Ana (I 5). The 2 roughest roads down there IMOP. You oughta be able to get a replacement thru Airstream since you have a new coach.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Cover for sewer hose fell off

You might do some modification with PCV materials. As I recall, these storage tubes are pretty flimsy. Depending upon the exact parts, you might obtain PCV materials from Lowes. Home Depot, or a supplier for land scapping. Good luck,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
Help! While driving back from my trip to Mammoth mountain i made the mastake of driving through the rough pothole freeway system of downtown Los Angeles. I was washing my AS today and noticed my bright red EZ hose and the cover were gone ! Evendently the extreme bouncing rattled the cap cover off

I do recall a car or two honking their horns but I didn't at that time think they would be honking at me?!

So, here is my question. Do any of you guys know where I can get a replacement cap cover for the 3" storage tube?

Thanks in advance.

Safari=Rick
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:46 PM   #5
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Cover for sewer hose fell off

Rick, you will probably have to make some sort of modication using PCV materials from Lowes, Home Depot, or a land scape supplier. I considered building my own storage tube about a year ago. The cost of the required materials was cheaper then the cost of a new storage tube and much better quality.

Good luck,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick

Thanks in advance.

Safari=Rick
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:59 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
A warning

No one ever looks at the end of the tube under the trailer. A lot of times, it is necessary to twist at the hose to get it all to go into the tube. Some of this twisting may apply torque to the hidden cap. A couple of years ago, the under-trailer end of my tube came off and I lost a fine hose and fittings on the road.

Nowdays, I drill a small hole in the seam of the under-trailer end and insert a small metal screw. No way now that that end can come undone. The photo shows the screw on my current trailer. No more worry about that end of the tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blacktube_s.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	13656  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:27 AM   #7
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Hey you guys thanks for the input. Glad that I'm part of this forum !

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote