Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #21
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Mixed bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
I had alway's heard good about Sutton, and they may do good work but not this time.
Don
Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of whatever tech happens to be assigned to the task. I have had good fortune with my dealer, but there are some techs there that I wouldn't let touch my trailer out of my sight. The dealer knows this and assigns me a good tech.

The dealer knows my abilities and I have done most warrenty repairs with them supplying the parts. The two exceptions have been the refrigerator replacement and the hub replacement when a brake shed its shoes while towing.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #22

Newport , Oregon
New AS

Am considerating buying my first AS and was shopping at Sutton RV. Was looking at the Safari 25' FB SE. Boy, will I be wanting to check out their repair section if I decide to buy from them. I just cannot understand a dealer selling something as nice as a AS and then replacing a part under warranty with sub-standard equipment. Sure makes you take a 2nd look at them. Thanks to everyone who took the time to post their experiences with this dealer.

Bill
w5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:33 PM   #23
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by w5cents
I just cannot understand a dealer selling something as nice as a AS and then replacing a part under warranty with sub-standard equipment.

hi w5cents

welcome to the forums...

the problem here is that gunny didn't buy his trailer from this dealer...
the problem here is that some dealers do not do repairs as carefully on trailers they did not sell!
the problem here is that some dealers make getting service (under warranty) nearly impossible on trailers they did not sell!

oh and there are of course dealers with poor service departments or minimal service departements...

gunny was 1000s of miles from home and tried the local dealer....
sometimes doing this is a disaster.

and it is an unacceptable game plan for the factory to tolerate these bad examples...

of course the dealer in question is in the top 5 nationally for sales volume...

so guess who is sol in this encounter...gunny.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by w5cents
Am considerating buying my first AS and was shopping at Sutton RV. Was looking at the Safari 25' FB SE. Boy, will I be wanting to check out their repair section if I decide to buy from them. I just cannot understand a dealer selling something as nice as a AS and then replacing a part under warranty with sub-standard equipment. Sure makes you take a 2nd look at them. Thanks to everyone who took the time to post their experiences with this dealer.

Bill
I can tell by your choice of model you are are well read, thoughtfull, very attractive and a genius.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
I bought a 22' CCD and 28' CCD at Sutton RV previously. I've previously had warranty work done at Sutton's RV.......and I was less than impressed with the warranty work that they did on my 22' CCD and now 28' CCD. They've recently expanded their service department to a new location with larger digs. I haven't been there since the transition.....but plan to take my 28' CCD in for some warranty work in the near future and will report on their quality of work (I'll stay and watch this time)!
BTW, Sorry Gunny about the inferior warranty work on your AS! I hope things eventually work out!
2Air is right.........if you didn't buy it there.......it may not mean you get the best service (that ain't right) ........I hope it's right for me when I take it in for warranty work (or I'll be p#$$ed)!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:02 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Good and poor service

Quote:
My dealer is stocking up on part's as fast as he can, but I add too the list faster than he can get parts.
I will move back too my 73 (Non-Airstream) Argosy and then take this thing too my dealer and leave it for repair and sale on consignment.
Hi Gunny,

What the others are saying about preferential treatment given to their own customers is a pretty common practice - sorry to say. I know that Kamper Klinic does this to an extreme (personal experience). I sent a complaint to Jackson Center. They're still in business; they just don't get mine. Airstream of San Antonio doesn't do this from what I've heard, but they have a small service department. I bought my current AS from them, so I get good service from them.

I've heard really good things about Oasis RV in AZ. Really good things about Billy Sims in Lubbock as well. I do have first hand experience with Windish RV in Denver. My a/c had conked out one summer while on vacation. I drove there from South Dakota, they checked it out and said they would have the unit by the time I was on my way back to San Antoio from Wyoming. I scheduled a service appointment with them, and when I returned they had the new a/c unit. They installed it that day while the wife, pets and I toured the greater Denver area. They really went out of their way for me, and I always drop their name when the opportunity arises.

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I metioned those three dealers because at least one of them will be on your way as you come home, and you might want to try them out.

Good luck,

_______Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:31 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Calif - (1) Go on top and see if all the screw's are in place and sealed
(2) Check too see how far the Toilet is mounted from the wall, If it is less than 9" you can't replace toilet with up-grade
(3) If shower door is chrome, it will leak. The new door is gold.
(4) Check every edge of the laminate, if it is not smooth from all directions it will peel.
I have never seen the 19' model, but these are just a few of the problrm's I have with my unit.
Missed this post before and wanted to respond!
(1) I'll make sure this is checked out and will bring this post along
(2) I noticed the installed toilet doesn't have a sprayer and inquired about changing it during the walkthrough. I was told it isn't a big deal to change out and will call on this tomorrow!
(3) Ours is chrome....will check this out too, where does this leak?
(4) Will go over this again carefully too!

Thanks Gunny, love our new Safari BTW and appreciate this info, sorry you have had such a hassle to deal with.

Barbara
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:53 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The A Team
Congratulations on your new Safari LS SE. We purchased our 2006 Safari SE from Southwest Coaches in July and couldn't be happier. We really appreciated the time and expertise of their service tech Aaron during our walkthrough. Very thorough. I took lots of notes! We have taken our Bambi out twice and so far everything is perfect. We called the dealer a couple of times to ask (stupid newbie) questions, and they were very willing to help. Our salesman was Dave, and he was great. All around an awesome dealer.
I'm spreading the word about these guys, they are great! Aaron also did our walkthrough and was awesome...just wish I took notes too (or maybe I can borrow yours?).....I thought the lock on the shower was broken but I forgot to push it in first Can't wait to take it out!!

Barbara
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #29
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the Fun Never Stops

Arrived in Santee, CA. 20 Sept at 3:00 PM. At 2:00 PM 21 Sept Dicovered that I had no 12 Volt power. Long story short, Converter gone.
Santee Airstream Dealer won't warrenty because Paralux is too hard too deal with.
Found one in El Cajon, CA. for $269.95.
Got too Love Airstream.

I did find out that Paralux has an "up graded model 7355". Gee I wonder why!!!!

I was too have other work done at Santee dealer.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Arrived in Santee, CA. 20 Sept at 3:00 PM. At 2:00 PM 21 Sept Dicovered that I had no 12 Volt power. Long story short, Converter gone.
Santee Airstream Dealer won't warrenty because Paralux is too hard too deal with.
Got too Love Airstream.

Don
Did you call Paralux ?

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #31
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

No Jim, according too my dealer Paralux is easy too deal with, it's the AIRSTREAM Dealer's that you didn't buy from.
I now consider my trailer warrentied at (1) My dealer (2) Factory !!!!
From now till I get home I am using a battery charger for power. It runs the frig and a few lights, but not all at one time, will get better after the battery's are at full charge.

Don
Old 09-22-2006, 07:12 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Got too Love Airstream.

Don
Parts on a new Airstream product are warranted through Airstream, not through individual suppliers.

If you are traveling, and have a failure, the dealer is supposed to correct the problem for you, and then submit the warranty information "on line" to Airstream.

Dealers are required to have a working inventory of certain parts, for warranty purposes.

However, it seems that some dealers may chose to not help a new coach owner, unless they sold the coach.

Sad, very sad, but also very true.

The owners should communicate with Airstream, in detail, when such negative activity has taken place.

Don, if your coach is in warranty, I would contact Airstream, who will probably give you some kind of refund for the purchase you were forced to make, because of a non cooperating dealer. Document the deal. You can write to them to the attention of the sales department, or call customer service at 877-5966505.

Your Airstream warranty should be recognized by any selling dealer or by an authorized servfice center. You have a right to expect reasonable, courteous and efficient warranty service, especially for the life support systems.

Airstream does frown on dealers, within reason, that sends warranty customers down the road, unhelped.

Posting of those dealers names, by owners, such as yourself, would certainly keep potential buyers away, and rightfully so.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:54 AM   #33
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun NEVER Stops

I have had the same responce from every dealer I have tried and Airstream WILL NOT refund for repairs.
My trailer was buildt in Feb 06 and purchased in Mar 06.
The CEO of Airstream told me "What do you expect, they are built by humans" when I tried too get some of my money spent for repairs in NC which has no dealers (the trailer was 1 mo. old at that time!!!). Airstream under Bob is a very unfriendly place for owner's.
My advise too anyone looking for a Airstream, is buy used and fix it up or buy new and fix it up, your choose.

Don
Old 09-23-2006, 11:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Financial Trouble

No brand will or can survive without dealership support.
Harley Davidson motorcycles would not have survived without it's dealers during some tough years.
There seems to me to be a contraction in the number of participating Airstream dealers.
Usually, lack of sales, unrealistic manufacturer demands and lack of profits will cause a problem like this.
There is an upside to all this, if Airstream goes belly up your Airstream will be more valuable as time goes on.
Thanks for the posts.
R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:31 PM   #35
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Well today I had too move 4 spots over because I extended my stay, and I have a flat on the street side rear.
Better than a blow out but still a pain.

Don
Old 09-24-2006, 02:54 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Must be a record

Gunnyusmc,

I have followed your story and believe that the troubles you have had must be a record. I would have finished myself a long time ago if I had the same experiences. You are one tough person. Hope it smooths out for you, you deserve a break.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:55 PM   #37
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stops

Well the flat was a screw right thru the steel belts, so it will be my spare and the spare will go on the ground.
Discount Tire is closed on Sunday, are at least by noon here in Santee, so will be first customer tomorrow.

Don
Old 09-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Another tact

Instead of taking it back to a dealership Why not try an authorized repair shop like Inland RV or G&h? Their business is based on repairs and not sales. Guys like Andy at Inland RV have Airstream repair pros they need to keep working and I doubt he cares if the check comes from you or Airstream.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 09-25-2006, 08:56 AM   #39
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
And the fun never stop's

I don't know were G&H is.

Don
Old 09-25-2006, 09:01 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
G&H is in Bellflower, Ca.

On the A/S website they list dealers and Service only centers. I can't help but think a service only place would be eager to do your warranty work. It's how they make their living after all.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4