RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
Add a screen to emergency window?

Has anyone ever added a screen to their (nicely sized) emergency window in the bunk model of a Safari 30'? (or any airstream that has an emergency window)

Seems like a shame to not be able to open it (without getting eaten alive by bugs while sleeping)

Thanks.
Kira
KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Both of mine had them. The only difference was that a loop of spline (the vinly stuff that holds the screen in) was added at the bottom so you could rip the whole screen out to exit safely.

If the track is there - and I can't imagine them manufacturing a separate piece deleting it - just buy some plastic screen and appropriate size spline and put one in.

If you've never done this, there are "screen repair" stores that primarily work with apartment complexes who could do it for you if you take the Airstream there.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I must be missing something here. If you spline a screen in how do you get to the latches to open the window? I have looked at using Velcro to hold soft bug material in place.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
BFO - My current Airstream is an Eddie Bauer, the one before that was a Safari FB "SE" special edition, and the first one was a CCD (now sort of the "SE")

All have the big pano windows where the whole window bumps open from the bottom, and the inside frame has a screen built into it, not the basic Flying Cloud Herr windows with the small screen slider at the bottom. On mine the operators are inside on the lower part of the frame. (The window gets stuck and you go outside with a paint scraper and gently pry it loose from the seal.)

Sorry about that.

Paula
Old 06-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What Paula said.....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The screen is a separate frame that screws to the wall. It has "pass through" slots for the window latches.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Does something cover the "pass they slots" to keep critters out. A picture might help me visualize.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Not sure I have a pic on my phone and am away on business......I'll look.

EDIT: No pic with me..but yes the window tilt rods have slots with the fuzzy stuff filling the slot for bugs. The holes in the screen frame for the lock latches just butt up to where the latches come through the window frame and are "sealed" with a locknut....so no opening to the outside.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Rich, thanks