Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
2005 Safari Special Edition

We became first time Airstream owners today! After being swept away by our first exposure at a show recently, we have spent every spare moment researching Aitstreams. Spent several hours at the delaer today trying out several models/sizes, and were torn between liking the Safari decor, but wanting the upscale windows on the Classics & Internationals. Stumbled across a trailer that had just arrived called a Safari Special Edition. Stepped inside and knew we had to have it ...

It is an International shell (wrap around & Vista View windows, full aluminum interior walls & ceiling, mini-blinds except for the front window, all vinyl woodgrain floor, full accent light package inside) but with Safari cabinets, furniture and fabrics. It is very dramatic & contemporary without being so sterile and retro as the International. Ours is a 25 SS with the Midnight fabrics, and has the full A/V pacakge inc. Sirius radio, spare tire, front Fantastic fan, galley skylight and awnings on both sides. The only thing I would have liked was a larger A/C, but I can always put a larger one in if the 11,000 BTU one proves a problem in the summer.

The MSRP was just under $52K and we got it for $44K + tax (might have been able to do a little better). Dealer is calling Monday to schedule the pickup & inspection. Interior quality on this unit (& most of the ones we looked at today) was very good. Mine had a misfitting service door outside, a couple scratches on the countertop and a wardrobe door that needed a hinge adjustment.

We took a bunch of photos, and I will try to get some up tomorrow.

Keith
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:34 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Smile Saw one today in Austin, Texas

We were at the RV show in San Antonio two weeks ago, representing the local Airstream club. There was a representative from the factory. We expressed a great interest in the CCD 25, but didn't like the interior. Not one peep about the Safari Special Edition. Also noted is there is absolutely nothing on the Airstream website about this model.
We stopped by the dealership in Austin today, and much to our pleasant surprise was a unit just like you purchased. When we asked the owner about it, he was a little evasive said he needed to replace a couple of panels and couldn't give us a price. He did say he would contact us next week regarding a price.
It is exactly what we want after we sold our 30 foot Land Yacht motorhome, but at this point it seems to be a well kept secret.
Did your dealer say the new model will be widely available? I think it would be a great seller, but only if one can purchase one.
Bob Ricks
WBCCI #3042
ricksre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:47 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
The salesman (and another sales droid that stopped by) seemed as surprised as I was when we unlocked the door and walked in. They had just gotten it and hadn't even unwrapped the propane cover from the bubblewrap yet. No clue as to what models, availability or anything else. The price difference is approx $6000 over an equivalent Safari when you take out the A/V options, etc. It is listed as a single option called "Safari with International upgrade."

It does have the Safari galley with double sink. The combination of the metal walls, accent lighting and warmer wood & fabrics is quite stunning IMHO. The windows are quite an improvement over the Safari ones as well.

Everyone at the dealer thought it would be a big seller.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Congratulations !!!!!

I wish you the same success and pleasure I recieve from my 25'.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Congradulations on your new coach and welcome to the forums!
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Here's a quick test photo. Since I'm new to the forum, Need to see how size is handled. I'll throw a few more on after seeing how this is handled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Logo.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	10156  
Old 01-22-2005, 06:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
OK - here's some more of the interior and a snapshot of the new owner grinning gleefully before he recalls he has to pay for this :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bed.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	10157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinette.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	10158  

Name:	Galley.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	10159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lounge.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	10160  

Name:	Owner.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	10161  
Old 01-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
We just bought a 2004 unused 25' CCD from the dealers- all aluminum and little to seal and not very many smells, it's being ozonated this week, pick-up SAT And I can hardly wait. with the aluminum, black, orange dinette cushions, it seems very Zen to me and I hope to carry that theme through. It's called "The Escape Pod" (a la c3pio and r2 d2 in Star Wars 4) as we have gas well drillers breathing down our necks and I may have to vamoose fast or be quickly dead. Interesting, under TX law, I, the land Owner, have NO rights over the mineral owner. and no representation in texas government. And I got the gas letter the same day I got my passive hot water solar collectors, there is some irony in that. silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:47 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
P.S . We are removing the gas oven and stove top to put in electric ones, the hot water heater is having an electric rod put in it and it had never had propane run through it, so I can avoid that all together. Where the front tanks go, will make a great storage area. we're figuring out about the washer/dryer. Life is SO interesting. suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
congratulations!

I especially like the new owner picture! Cool looking interior, I am glad I saw your pictures. Sure does seem a secret. Wonder if there are more besides the two mentioned here on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister
OK - here's some more of the interior and a snapshot of the new owner grinning gleefully before he recalls he has to pay for this :-)

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:20 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Thanks. This does seem to be a big secret. I was quite surprised when I saw it.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Safari Special

The model "Safari Special" is not a new model at all. In fact it was around about 35 years ago! I own a 1970 23' "Safari Special". As most people have seen with the 1969-mid 70's trailers, the bath went across the back of the trailer except for the small trailers that had a corner bath. They came out with(I don't know the sales numbers) with a 23' Safari Special. This trailer had the couch in the front with a side-bath in the back. Giving you a double bed in the back and a double bed in the front. I don't beleave it was a very common model. Everyone that ever comes into ours says they had never seen one before(I don't know if thats good or bad). I will say I love the look of your new trailer. I just wish I had 44K to buy one. I could always sell my three old one to buy one new one! HOw many can that model sleep? I see the couch(2), table (1/2 kids). Is that a bed or a table in the back curb side?

Paul Waddell
WBCCI/VAC/WDCU 1270
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:19 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
It's the current 25 SS floorplan - bed in the back, dinette & sofa turn into beds if needed.

One of the things that attracted us to this one was the lack of white plastic/fabric in the ceiling & walls. White never seems to age well and eventually yellows. We also have dogs and the "mouse fur" wall covering in the standard Safari & Classic looked like it would be a dog hair magnet. We can jus wipe down the metal interior walls.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

I will say, sounds like the best floor plan yet! A place to get away(in the back), a place to sit down and eat and a couch to make it all feeel like home! You are a very lucky one grasshopper. It is now time for you to take the new power you have and go have fun! When I see a trailer like yours, it makes me want to go rip the inside of my 26' footer out and start all over!

Paul
Old 01-22-2005, 10:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Yeah, this will be a winner! The factory is doing good in responding to customer desires. Kudos to the factory. The Safari line needed an upgrade pkg like this and they responded. I am sure they will get many orders.

The windows are the best part but also the wood floor I really like.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:59 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
More photos. Ceiling shot shows some of the accent pot lights.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bed2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	10163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	10164  

Name:	Lights.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	10165  
Old 01-23-2005, 06:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Will you be at the Florida State Rally? You coul dbe the new hit!

Paul Waddell
Old 01-23-2005, 06:51 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just what the doctor ordered! I am so pleased that they finally, finally, gave the Safari the ability to have some of the bigger brother (sister) toys. Since they all mostly start out the same way, it only made sense.

This is a hot coach. Though I am concered about having pets and kids with the walls getting scratched, the trade off for vista views, wrap around front windows and the replacement of those nasty cheap windows with the CCD, Classic style windows is a HUGE, HUGE hit in my book.

Nice job Airstream!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:55 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey, Hey...it's also got a black stove burner cover too!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 07:29 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
As far as the potential for the Al walls getting scratched, I was more concerned about what was going to happen long term with the fabric mouse fur on the standard one. I don't have kids, but was really concerned about stains (ahem) or the cloth getting snagged. Also the hair magnet issue - didn't want to have to vacuum the walls.

When/where is the Florida rally? I'm new to this "traveling beer can" stuff, so I'm not up on the community yet.

Keith