Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2005, 09:44 AM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
redeagle313,

You know, if you're thinking about a 25' Six Sleeper, I am currently thinking of getting a 31' Classic....if you are serious about a 25' SS, I might be parting with our 2004 for a possible upgrade in the spring. Still thinking about it. Only used one season so far, still under warranty and has 1 or 2 off the menu upgrades, as well as a number of on the menu upgrades like LS pkg, leather sofa, etc). PM me if you're interested, you are not all that far away.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #42

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
redeagle313,

I might be parting with our 2004 for a possible upgrade in the spring. Still thinking about it.
Oh oh, look out Twink, I feel the momentum building.....just wait till those southern breezes start blowing your way....

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:28 AM   #43
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, I know...been there before.......

I'd really rather have a 28' Special Edition, but we really like the 31' and the 28' has not and might not ever materialize. Even if niether happen, we still have a hell of a coach with our 25' Safari SS.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:10 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Thumbs up From a 25' to a 28' or bigger

Just curious about why you are considering upgrading already from your 25' Safari to the 28' or larger? Privacy issue with the SS? Smallish black tank?

We have two young daughters (8 & 2.5) and want to purchase a TT that will still meet our needs as the girls grow.
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:42 AM   #45
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The six sleeper is a great unit. The smaller black tank wasn't an issue in our Bambi or our Safari (18gal), nor was privacy.

We first went with the Bambi because it's all we could really afford and we got a great show price on it at an RV show. Circumstances changed and we got a Safari since that was what we could then afford. Tow vehicle was an issue and I felt the 25' SS would be ok w/ my Chevy sedan, but a Classic 30+' Coach would not be possible, or I should say a good, safe idea to try. So we got the Safari and towed with the Chevy sedan. After one season, it was pretty clear to me that the Chevy sedan had the power and torque to deal with the 6300lbs without question. However, the coach outweighed the car by about 1000lbs (depending on how loaded the Safari was to it's max NCC). High or brisk winds really pushed the car around (even with the proper hitching gear) and after about 3000 miles this last season and seeing a horrific accident on the way home from the summer Midwest Rally, I decided that money (cost of better tow vehicle) should not get in the way of our saftey and that of our fellow travelers on the road.

So I bought a 2004 Suburban 3/4 ton at the Chevy year end close out at about 20% off sticker. Needless to say the Suburban tows the Safari like it isn't even back there. Now that I have a very robust tow vehicle, I am considering getting what I really wanted from the start.

To some, it seems rather foolhearty to buy a coach, use it for a year, then trade it, but frankly, if the market was not so hot for these units, I might not have done it or consider doing it again. Last trade I actually got what I paid for our Bambi in trade. I also got what I would consider a good deal on an "ordered" coach.

This time around, if I did it, I would assume that I'd get a fair trade as well as I loaded this Safari up with almost every option except the video and skylights. I did however get the extra fantastic fan and upgraded the A/C unit to the 15k unit with electronic climate controls (which were the "not on the menu" items I talked about earlier and what I personally feel should be standard equipment on a coach of this size or larger). Keep in mind that the base retail Safari SS was in the low $39,193.00 for the 2004 model year. Now the base for a 2005 Safari SS is in the low $42s, a near $3k price increase from the 2004 model year. I am again assuming that a used coach value will continue hold it's own.

So the Reader's Digest version of all this is simply that I'd always wanted a Classic, or similar, circumstances changed and as they changed so did our migration plans to the coach. It also helped that Airstream came out with a dinette version of the 31' and also the possibility of a 28' Safari Special Edition and that pre-owned coach prices have held fairly well....if any one of these didn't happen, all bets would be off and I'd not even consider an upgrade (again).
Old 02-09-2005, 01:52 PM   #46

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313
Just curious about why you are considering upgrading already from your 25' Safari to the 28' or larger? Privacy issue with the SS? Smallish black tank?

We have two young daughters (8 & 2.5) and want to purchase a TT that will still meet our needs as the girls grow.
I read Twinks comments and there is some interesting parallel with ours. We also chose a Safari as our first A/S albeit a 27' model. The choice was pretty much dictated by limitations of the tow vehicle, which was a Chevy 1500 van. I really wanted the Classic.

We kept the Safari for three summers but early in that final year, GM started rebates and other pricing incentives that allowed me to move up to a 2500 (3/4 ton) van. At that point I knew that I had the right vehicle and it was just a matter of time. That time came in the fall when the dealer at a state rally, made me an offer for my Classic that recouped my entire original cost of the Safari plus an amount over that figure. Bottom line I took the bait and ordered the trailer.

Safari's are hot units on resale and my dealer had a couple from New Mexico waiting in the dealership for me to deliver the trailer. The folks inspected the trailer and bought it before I finished removing the Dual-Cam sway control from the trailer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #47
Craftsman

Twink, what is the advantage of the 31' dinette over the 30' floor plan also with dinette? In the 30 the dinette is seperated from the couch by a credenza. Good for setting up and watching TV. In the 31' dinette the couch is almost on top of the dinette. ????
Jack
Old 02-09-2005, 02:34 PM   #48
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Twink, what is the advantage of the 31' dinette over the 30' floor plan also with dinette? In the 30 the dinette is seperated from the couch by a credenza. Good for setting up and watching TV. In the 31' dinette the couch is almost on top of the dinette. ????
Jack
I am not sure I like the pass through bathroom found on the 30' unit. The 31' has the side bath that is not part of the main hallway. Less room in the head than the 30' granted, but when camping and using the Air Conditioning, you don't get bathroom smell blowing into the bedroom after a buddy or a family member uses the facilities to it's fullest.

In addition, when someone needs to use the head at night, they have to slide both the front door and the back door (connected to the bedroom) each use or you get a show. This also cuts off cool air from the A/C while someone spends any length of time in there. Since we'd be camping mostly in the warmer months, these issues were the most important to me when looking at the 30' vs. the 31'.

I also think of the fact that I can get a flat panel TV and mount it making the credenza not as important, though there is a small table on both the 30 and 31' units street side.

Additionally, even though both coaches are the same length, the 31 footer has more wardrobe space too.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Walk Through Bath Vs. Side Bath in Classic 30' & 31'

Pros of Walk-Thru Bath

1. The room! Close the two doors and you have a large amount of room to change, take a shower, use sink, etc. in private.

2. It is great having two solid doors to close between bedroom and living area. This really isolates the bedroom from noise from kitchen and living area if someone goest to sleep earlier then others. Also nice for sleeping when someone is using sofabed.

3. More room and "open feeling" in front of sofa.

4. Credenza is perfect for holding my 22" LCD TV and surround sound system plus has a bar. Roof cabinet is nice too.

Cons

I agree with Twink:

1. Ordors are less confined but fantastic fans take care of it pretty qiuck.

2. Less circulation of AC if doors have to be closed. This is my biggest gripe but doors aren't closed much.

3. Larger wardrobe closet.

Overall, I would choose the walk-thru bath again. I love all the space and room and it is bright due to sunroof.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:42 PM   #50

Fenton , Missouri
I know that if you are interested in a slide out, the only interior style supporting that in the 31' length is the 30' model.

Now forgoing that I can tell you that if the dinette had been available in the 31' model, I would have had a much harder decision to make. We love the pass through bath, but we also miss the closet. Our 27' Safari had this double door closet with the side bath and it really gives you a lot of hang up storage.

At this point we are at peace with our choice. We are more conservative in what we bring for hanging up......and in some cases that may be good. I can feel pretty confident in saying that if you are considering full timing, you just might give more creedance to a side bath model and take the double closet.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #51
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
BTW.... also looking at the 30' vs' the 31' there are more vista view windows street side on the 31':

30':
http://www.colonialairstream.com/newinventory/7491.html

31':
http://www.colonialairstream.com/newinventory/7470.html

Old 02-10-2005, 07:28 AM   #52

Fenton , Missouri
You know after looking at the new 31' pictures, I'm curious as to where they put the outlet for the TV?.....unless its by the fold out table on the front curbside.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-10-2005, 07:42 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Jack, my guess would be that the TV location in the new model is on the forward side of the refrigerator. FWIW, I don't like the new 31 dinette because it really looks crowded up front. It's just packing too much in there.

I really do like the big wardrobe and side bath and hate the split bath setup. Personally, I could've lived with the 31 model, eating off the large fold-up table, but my wife would have none of that. She was willing to give up my side of the wardrobe and live with the split bath to get a dinette directly opposite the galley with the 30. In the end, the no-compromise 34 was the only answer. We got it all, including room for foot stools or ottomans to put our feet up on while sitting on the couch.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:55 AM   #54
Craftsman

I'll bet Airstrem would put those two extra vista views in the 30'. Might cost you something.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:58 AM   #55
Craftsman

I spoke to soon. You couldn't add them because of the cabinets over the dinette.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:06 AM   #56

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
Jack, my guess would be that the TV location in the new model is on the forward side of the refrigerator.
Hmmm...I don't know, I see the back of the dinette directly against the refrigerator. Unless the outlet is under the dining table or behind a curtain.

I see your point they do have to move things forward to accomodate the shower in the side bath. That's the great thing about the slide out since the greater part of the dinette kicks out and away, the person sitting on the sofa isn't looking at the back of the dinette. We also get a verticle storage cabinet behind the dinette next to the fridge. That provides the hookups and the platform for the TV. I wouldn't be surprised that they eventually figure out a way to make this model a slide also, although with a slide you lose the top cabinets over the dinette and in this particular model there is no room to place a verticle cabinet like mine.

Ah yes life is a compromise isn't it....

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-10-2005, 08:25 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I'm guessing the back of the dinette is thick enough to put an LCD TV above it.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:41 AM   #58
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I would assume Moe is right. On the Safari, that is where they place it (on the common wall witht the fridge) when you get the TV upgrade pkg (the outlet the factory installed TV connects to is not really accessible). If you don't get the upg pkg, on the Safari, it's located on the streetside wall under the dinette table.

It does a look a bit croweded on paper, I'll admit, but looking at the photos and having a Six Sleeper with a similar area, we're pretty comfy with it. Now that Airstream has placed heavier axle systems on the coaches, to me a tri-axle is nice, but around here they charge on the tollways for each axle, let alone any additional upkeep and weight compared to the 31'....I'd need that diesel Suburban this year.

Oh well, another trade up in a year of two.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:24 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Thumbs up Before buying...........

We are only about 100 miles from Jackson Center, and we are thinking about going through the plant tour prior to buying or ordering a new trailer. Is it possible to view various models of finished units during or after this tour?
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #60
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It is. If you want a taste of what to expect, go to www.silvertwinkie.org and you'll see some of the coaches on the line being built.