RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari Bunk

Hi!

I actually posted earlier today but can't seem to find that post, so I guess I will try again! We just bought a 2005 Safari Bunk which we are very excited about. We plan to travel with our 6 children, and this Airstream actually has a set-up which I think is ideal for a family with young children (PRIVATE master bedroom up front with substantial sliding door), twin over full bunks in the back, dinette that doubles as a bed, and plenty of living space. Not to mention the built-in DVD system with plasma TV (this is what sold our kids on it! ). We can also eventually take out the two chairs with table and put in a pull-out couch there if we decide we need the sleeping room. We are not new to Airstreaming (my husband grew up in an airstreaming family with 10 kids , and we actually bought and lived in a 1976 international when we first married and were still in college in CA (what a blast that was!).

Anybody else out there with a Safari Bunk? How is the configuration working for you and your family? My husband has always been the Airstream fanatic in our family, but I think I am surprising him with my enthusiasm over our new purchase!
Old 02-18-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Have Overlander Bunk (1972 modified)

John & Lauren,

I did not know that Airstream was accomodating full size families. I figured it was up to us to make the necessary modifications.

Here is our sleeping arrangement (until I remove the side gaucho and custom build one with a bunk above it).
http://www.airforums.com/photo...00&userid=4331

(I don't know why I can't get the hyperlink to work)

I have also removed the front gaucho and replaced it with a wraparound dinette.

Nice to know there are other adventurous people out there with Airstreams.
(#7 is due 27 Feb)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breakfast.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	10471  
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Just in case...

We traveled with sob square trailer and multiple children for over 10 years in bunks and dinettes arrangement, and discovered as children "matured" towards teenage years that they preferred and we preferred the folding jumbo dome tent adjacent to the trailer on many occasions... Gave each group a little more privacy, still OK for meals inside or outside and group activities, TV etc, but fewer disturbances and noises at night.. Didn't work in real cold or hot or areas with large mean animals (bear country around Yellowstone, for example..) but could be an option if kids are presented with choice to sleep on their own...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Ron,

Loved the pics of your modified airstream. My husband's family always did the same thing--created bunks and such to fit their family. Airstream itself used to make canvas bunks, but I guess that they quit making them when they discovered they tended to fold up or collapse while people were sleeping in them! <g> My husband was just telling me about how his father had created a kind of "cage" in their Airstream so that whoever happened to be the baby in the family at the time could have a safe place to sleep. Of course, we had a good laugh about how well that kind of thing would go over with authorities nowadays! Times have certainly changed. I am very glad that Airstream is finally making some configurations that seem designed with families of young children in mind. Congrats on #7!

John, we definitely plan to use tents for sleeping for the older children in a few years. The oldest is just 11 now, so I think he and his brother will still want to be safely inside for a few more years, but certainly once they reach the mid-teens, I'm sure that they would be much happier tenting it than packed into the airstream with the rest of us <g> And that will be FINE by us!