Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Visiting The Wilds / Big Muskie Bucket Labor Day Weekend

With the recent cancellation of the AirForums National Rally at the The Wilds in SE Ohio, I was left with 4 tickets to the open-air safari bus tour and no rally to go to. Obviously, I'm not going to let the tickets slide. So the rally got cancelled, what's an Airstreamer to do? Go camping! Just because the AirForums rally got cancelled doesn't mean I can't still camp there and go to the The Wilds and use my tickets.

If anyone would like to join my family and I, we would appreciate any shiny trailers that would like to show up. We will be camping at an AEP ReCreation Land. I have never camped at one of these before, but it's FREE as long as you fill out the permit form at their website. Everything is boondocking, though. They also have maps available for download at the website. There are numerous camp areas. Area F (refer to AEP map) is at the Miner's Memorial. This is a remembrance to the miners of these lands and most interestingly, the bucket from "Big Muskie" is there. Google Maps / satellite view actually has a really great shot of it. It's THAT big. I've not been able to find an exact address, but for those GPS savvy, the coordinates are: 39.697814,-81.730863. For those not so electronic, Area F and the memorial is at the intersection of State Route 78 and N. Unionville Rd. For those using one of those road atlas thingies, look for the intersection of SR-78 and SR-83 south of Cambridge, OH. Then look a few miles west on SR-78 after the intersection. The Wilds is about 10 miles north of this "Area F".

So I'm killing two birds with one stone. I get to use my pre-purchased Wilds tickets and I get to stare in amazement at the Big Muskie bucket. If you'd like to join it, there's no RSVP, no registration. You need to read, print, and sign the AEP form if you are going to stay on AEP land. You don't even have to submit it to anyone, just carry it with you. Note though in the rules on the form that generator use has limited hours. Then, plan to join me Sat. Sept 3 and Sun Sept 4 for camping (arriving Sat around noon, leaving AM Mon Sept 5 (Labor Day)). If you are planning to come or have questions, please post here though so I at lest get an idea if people are joining us.

One last note: this gathering is in no way connected on the organization level to the now cancelled AirForums National Rally that was planned to be held at the Wilds. I had purchased tickets to the Wilds in anticipation of that event. Since it has been cancelled, I am still going to the area within the originally planned time frame and thought that I would invite others.

Here's a link the rally calendar posting for this trip: http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...y=2011-9-2&c=1
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
This is a call out to anyone who is lurking out there but hasn't posted to this thread.

The current weather today in Ohio and the prediction for tomorrow is around 95 degrees! My thermo. for outside right now shows over 100, but it's in direct sun. Anyway, boondocking is no fun in direct sunlight and 100 degrees. We have the camper out and ready to go, but if no one else will be going there then we will just "car" it down there tomorrow and come home after visiting the Wilds and the Big Muskie bucket.

If you're coming, please reply here or send me a PM.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote