Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #301
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Williamsburg , Virginia
lol skip
Count me in too guys- I want to come up earlier anyway- just let me know how I can help out in 09!
ommuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #302
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I want to sit back and enjoy the fruits of others labor... count me in on that. Oh skip, another drink please...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #303
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I want to sit back and enjoy the fruits of others labor... count me in on that. Oh skip, another drink please...
Gin and tonic? That's what Allie and I are imbibing presently. Next year, if my mint is in season I can possibly produce mint julips.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #304
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep View Post
If any one knows where my 4' bright yellow Stabila level ended up please let me know. I think I used it last helping a Shasta get level and I did not miss it till I was unpacking.

abe
Level is on the way home! Thanks to forum member IH Collector. So many people and soo few time.... I was so glad to meet many fellow forum members, but I wish we had more time..... Maybe next year!!![/quote]

Level arrived safe and sound last night. Thanks again IH Collector!!!!!!!
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #305
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Photos!!

I left my digital camera home for this rally so I ran out to Price Chopper down the street and picked up a disposable camera. I had the film developed and put directly to CD. Here are my highlights:

Ommuel and his set up winner of Best Rat Trailer:

Next to Ollie was this nice combination of tow vehicle and trailer. The trailer brand name escapes me but it is sort of a tear drop in that the main compartment is just bed nd the rear tail gate props up to reveal the "kitchen". On top is a row boat. This was a father son combo. The Willies was restored by dad and the trailer by the son. Cool, huh?

"Mom!! Dad!! I wanna come in!!!"

Two great photos of the great collection of Scotties, Shasta's and Sportcraft's

My award for best parking spot goes to Vintage Thunder:

(minstrl blue. Boy says "Hi" to your son)

I loved this Spartan. Super gorgeous wood work inside completely redone by the owner.

pinktrailer and me breaking down camp on the "hot side" of the party . My "rookie" stripe is being removed.

But the star of the show was the 1939 Airstream shown here "staged" to look like the Model A is towing it.

We sure had a good time despite the heat and humidity. We made lots of new friends. As I'm sure you all did too.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #306
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
1966 17' Caravel
Pierrepont Manor , NY
Yikes, Pine Tar Woes!

Being new to this and because I don't have a nice shiny trailer, I don't have a maintenance schedule for my baby so it took me a while to discover I have a mess to clean!

As I was walking by yesterday I swiped my hand across what I thought was a rain drip and to my surprise it did not come off. On closer inspection I discovered it was pine tar! Since we have no pines here at home and were parked under the pines at the Jam, I surmise this is where it came from. So if you where also parked under the pines you might want to go check your trailer out!

Now what to do?? I tried scraping it off with my nail and it did come off some, but one, I don't want to put scratches on my Globetrotter getting it off. And two, its under my nail now as well , eeeww! I have no experience with pine tar/pitch (including what to call it)! Solution, anyone???

Does this mean not only do you have to cover these things at home, you also have to shelter them when you are out with them too!! (I'll have put my "cheesy blue tarp" above it instead of using it for an awning now!)

OMG, think of the scary things out there for my baby...pine tar, hail , bugs, etc...and since the VTJ was our first outing ever I probably don't know the half of it!!!
TAC # Ny-6
MTnestRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:06 AM   #307
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
ditto

Ditto on the pine tar, I have 4-5 spots on our front window plastic protecter. Does any one know what I can use to desolve the pine tar and not hurt the plastic? I have heard that "simple green" will work, but we have not been able to try it yet.
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #308
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
huh. Now I'm happy I was in the "hot area" with no shade.

Simple Green should work. I also wonder, why not try Goo Gone. It works on adhesive, and pine tar is an ingredient in many adhesives .... worth a shot.

I've never tried it on aluminum, but I've had GREAT success using WD-40 on adhesives, bug goo, etc on paint and glass.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #309
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
MEK... takes anything off of anything. Will not effect the aluminum and if you do it in your garage... Oh yeah, got a lecture about that... anyway, MEK will take it right off. There are less sever things also, but it works great.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #310
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Warning on using MEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
MEK... takes anything off of anything. Will not effect the aluminum and if you do it in your garage... Oh yeah, got a lecture about that... anyway, MEK will take it right off. There are less sever things also, but it works great.
A warning about MEK.

While I worked at Airstream I had to experiences that I want to share.

One of the employees that worked in the fiberglass department was working one day and his co-workers complained that he smelled really bad. After an investigation it was found that gangrene had developed between his figures. Yes, the culprit was MEK.

On the final line one of the employees was having an allergic reaction to chemicals being used to finish the trailer. A sample of each chenical used was sent with the employee to the doctor. The doctor pin-pricked his back with each of the chemicals. The next day the employee red, four inch swelling, raised a quarter of an inch on his back. Yes it was MEK.

This is just information to be very careful around MEK.

Pee Wee
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #311
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Any news on Vintage Jam 2009?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #312
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Vtj 2009

We're working on the venue now. I think we will have an official announcement in February.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #313
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Wow!! That was fast!!! Thank you Rich. Please let me know if you need volunteers. I will help.