Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2008, 05:09 AM   #261
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
no generator for me. no AC, no microwave, no coffee maker, no need. 3A for charging will be just fine
Old 07-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #262
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
no gen set for me either.... but I do have a coffee maker.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:25 AM   #263
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
We are definitely going to the Vintage Trailer Jam and looking forward to visiting nearby sites such as the Finger Lakes Wine Country, Lake Placid and surrounding Adirondacks. Saratoga itself is an interesting community. Hope to see you there.
dbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #264
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Williamsburg , Virginia
Wish me luck getting to the Jam folks. This will be an interesting week. I was down on the NC Outer Banks over the weekend- had a great time, plenty of sun and seafood. Yesterday, pulling out of camp, my neighbor mentioned he heard a squeek. I thought, ok- probably torsion bar. It is 40 years old and has earned a rebuild. I get 25 miles down the road and as I reach Manteo, there is an ominous chunking sound from curbside. Ugh. Popped off the hubcap and sure enough, nice and hot. Last month, I repacked bearings on the Eriba Puck and the homebuilt/teardrop at the same time except I gave up on one hub because I was afraid of stripping the nut. I thought it was the homebuilt. So much for my memory. So, pulled into a Napa, got the nut off (I suspect with abnormal adrenaline born of frustration) and the outer bearing was down to half the balls and the rings looked like tinsel. Inner race was welded to the spindle. Knocked the hub off and the inner bearing was missing 3 balls too (the back of the rim was nicely greased ) I had to drive my wife up to Williamsburg so she could pick up her car to drive to work in Maryland and I am waiting/praying for the shop to call and say that cutting the race away was successful and spindle is salvageable. Sooo.. hopefully I will have a trailer to bring up to Saratoga. If all else fails, I may just have to drive up with either New Beetle or Westfalia. I think this precludes baking
ollie
ommuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #265
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
arrived

We are parked at VTJ. So far over 30 rigs have arrived for early parking. Expect over 50 rigs to arrive tomorrow. Will post photos when I can!!
Come on over and visit if you can!!!
abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #266
S.S.SLOAN

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Belgrade , Montana
Any motorhome forum-ers attending this? I would love to hear a "scoop" from Brett G's seminar on classic motorhomes. Wish we could go! If anyone attends could you please pm me and let me know the topics covered? Have a great time everyone - We really enjoyed the VAC open house in Bozeman! s.s.sloan
s.s.sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #267
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Pretty well packed and ready to go first thing tomorrow. I am planning on leaving around 8 am- and Andy will leave after work - around 5 pm. I am a little nervous about my first solo tow experience (but I am sure there will be someone there wiling to help me park and level it when I get there ). Looks like the weather should be pretty nice and there will be a good turn out! Anyone know the mapquest address I should use? See ya'll when we get there!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #268
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
All Packed!!! Family was warned that I expect to leave at 7AM. Which means I'll drive away at 9. But I will not get foul. Promise. Can't wait to see you all. Unfortunately I did not get to make a pie. A thousand apologies.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #269
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am in central New York at Rob's house courtesy parking and taping episode 74 of the Vintage Airstream Podcast. We will be towing over in the morning and should be there by noon. I am looking forward to getting there and meeting everyone.... pie for all on saturday, or until it runs out.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #270
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
"Will post photos when I can!!" Abe

Promises, promises
Old 07-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #271
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Smile Yay, April! No worries Skip!

Go for it, April! I am towing in by myself as well, and will likely need help parking, family following later. Was supposed to arrive today, Thursday, but stuff happened and I didn't want to end up in a parking lot all alone :-)

Hey Skip, I made TWO pies, a Chocolate Caramel Pecan Pie and a Sweet 'n Tart Lime Pie, so no worries! I just hope I can find the pie people in the crowd Look for the newer 25' AS that needs a washing w/ black crew cab truck (also needs washed!) and lead us to pie!

Also have a delicious Chille Rellenos quiche ready to bake for the breakfast potluck, but will need help finding that group too. Memory is tricky these days, my Mom calls it Part-Timers

See you all there!

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:26 AM   #272
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Williamsburg , Virginia
Hehe- I'm on my way! 400 miles down! Picked up Puck from shop at 5 this afternoon- they managed to get the remains of the fused bearing off and get two new ones on. They weren't able to get a good seal on the backing washers to the hub (weird 40 year old German parts)- so it is spinning out some grease, but the hub isn't getting hot and it has been towing fine. Listening to the VAP to stay awake and downing coffee at 3am through the West Virginia hills- glorious! Just pulled into the driveway in Cumberland- going to grab some clothes and do a quick spray paint of my mottled fiberglass roof by lanternlight so it won't look quite so horrible and I'll be back on the road to Saratoga No kitchen- but I'll pick up some chow to share
ommuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:04 AM   #273
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Talking Birdie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin' Cat View Post
... Was supposed to arrive today, Thursday, but stuff happened and I didn't want to end up in a parking lot all alone :-) ...
Wow! I was SOOO bummed to not have left yesterday, but it was so weird that I just couldn't get out of here. Now I know why!

At 4:30 a.m. I awoke to the happy sound of all the birds chirping, and started to notice one that sounded kinda like a cat, but not quite. Hubby was sure it was some kind of bird (we do have Grey Catbirds around here, but they don't sound like cats to me). Around 5:15 a.m. I finally decided to investigate, as it was sounding much more catlike.

There was a shivering, muddy, sweet little KITTEN under our back porch!!!! She is absolutely adorable!

I will bring her with me to the Jam as I cannot leave her alone for four days with my three cats

See you after lunch!

Anyone want a little kitty?
I am calling her Birdie

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #274
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Check out the story on Saratoga's Post Star front page this morning

Homes away from home :: PostStar.com

The actual paper had some cool stories

We just got back from spending the day at the JAM - lots of cool trailers, I got to meet alot of people, and hot!!!

It was 3 hours each way, but worth it to see our friends and make new ones! Lots of TRAILERITES there too!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:55 AM   #275
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Thanks

I just wanted to thank everyone - Frank, Skip, and probably a least dozen others whose name I forgot - who took the time to talk with me at the Jam open house and show me around their trailers and motorhomes. Hard to imagine a nicer group of people.

I've learned a lot in my 70s Airstream search from the VAP, reading the forums here, and looking at brochures and pictures online. But its amazing to be able to see so many trailers at one time. I went there wanting a Caravel. Nice and compact. Then I saw a Globetrotter or two and think "Hmmm, 3 feet more is kinda nice." And then I saw a Safari or 24'ish Argosy and think "Ooooh, roomy! And (usually) another axle!" (Can't say I envision sheparding a 345 Classic motorhome down the highway though....)

Thanks again. The hunt continues...
Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #276

1963 26' Overlander
cobleskill , New York
Thanks

I just want to take a moment to thank everyone at the jam in Saratoga for making my wife and I first rally a really great time,
special thanks to the members of the dc unit for make us feel so welcome, We had a great time camping next to Abe and Melissa, and talking with Frank and Beth, We hope to see you again, Jason and Melissa
jmpathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #277
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Great time!!!

Back at you Jason and Melissa!!! It was fun to be parked next to you all!! Boy was it a long haul back to Richmond, my first ever $300. day at the gas pumps...

If any one knows where my 4' bright yellow Stabila level ended up please let me know. I think I used it last helping a Shasta get level and I did not miss it till I was unpacking.

I promise to post some photos when I get unpacked!!

abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #278
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
How were the PIES????
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #279
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep View Post
If any one knows where my 4' bright yellow Stabila level ended up please let me know. I think I used it last helping a Shasta get level and I did not miss it till I was unpacking.

I promise to post some photos when I get unpacked!!

abe
Abe-
I saw that level on a Shasta parked near you on Saturday. Maybe he's still got it? It was nice meeting you. Hearing Rob Baker actually admit that he likes a '70's era Airstream almost floored me! But then again, your trailer is no ordinary 70's era trailer!

John
Old 07-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #280
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Thanks to all! What a great time!!! Best rally ever!

Here is a link to my website I made up a page of the fun!

Enjoy

08 Vintage Trailer Jam

Balrgn
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote