Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Airhaus
Id make reservations. Thats a HOT area and a nice State Park . Im sure they will be filled. We camped there last Sept and enjoyed it very much.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
axles

Yeah, I'm starting a mini-axles discussion here because I want the advice of people I know and that have done the task of changing them. I know what responses I would get in the general threads...

Roger: I did the check today that we talked about at Pleasant Hill...drove the trailer up onto high blocks on only one axle. Well, the other axle did indeed drop, but the problem is that the axle on the blocks was no more compressed holding a lot more of the trailer weight than normal. So, I think they're shot.

I crawled under the trailer and did a "rubbing" of the tag on the axle. They are indeed Henschens, weird thing is that the date on them is 1970 but my trailer is a 1974. Oh well, maybe old stock or something. But the capacity (2800lbs) matches the manufacturing tag on the front of the trailer. So, I'm embarking down the lovely trail to replacing axles.

So, Roger, you just did new axles and you went w/ Henschens. You bought them through Andy, I think. Did you pick them up at Jackson Center? What did they cost you, altogether? Did you buy them with brakes or reused the old brakes? How long ago did you buy them?

Larry: I'm interested in contacting the guy that did the axle for your Argosy. Can you dig up an email, phone number, etc. for the place so I can talk with them?

I will also pursue the Dexter option. I know some people cringe at that, but they are a reputable co. that seems like they want more of the service market. Plus, I've heard that nowadays Airstream is using Dexter as OE anyway.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Jason,

Larry (actually Lou!) has offered thier driveway for an axle party for me! Probably next week or so.

I bought an axle from axis and picked it up this past week. $330 out the door.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Jason
I sent you a PM on the subject. I would rather not start another axle war on the forums. Cause its like kickin an ant hill and you will get that many answers. Hope You understand.
Roger
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
axis...I assume that's where Larry bought his axle from???

if you're doin' the swap in his driveway then I might have to stop in. Keep this forum posted when you're going to be there. I'm only about 45min away.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:41 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
I will also pursue the Dexter option. I know some people cringe at that, but they are a reputable co. that seems like they want more of the service market. Plus, I've heard that nowadays Airstream is using Dexter as OE anyway.
Jason,
Our '06 has dexter axles with the electric hydraulic disc brakes. So far they have been OK other than the brake hoses that were originally installed were too short and prone to kinking and rubbing. After the total failure of one line I replaced them all with longer braided steel lines and have had no issues since. Here is the thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...end-45278.html

But I guess brake lines are a non-issue if you go with magnetic shoe and drums.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:12 AM   #147
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:

if you're doin' the swap in his driveway then I might have to stop in. Keep this forum posted when you're going to be there. I'm only about 45min away.
Nope.

Larry purchased a unique axle. It has some very nice features. He bought it locally. Mine came from Elkhart at the factory (3 1/2 hour drive).

When we figure a date out, I'll post it here.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
yeah, Larry was showing me / telling me about the axle and I was intrigued. If someone didn't have first hand experience with it, I probably wouldn't give it a second thought. It's kinda odd though that for as neat of an idea as it is (the splines and therefore height adjust-ability) that it hasn't caught on more. I like that it's local, too. The only downside I see is that I have to put the AS in the air and remove an axle to use as a template, take it to the shop, wait, then go back and pick up the new ones.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #149
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:

Jason,
No we did not buy axles from axis, nor Andy, but got them from a place in the Cleveland area. I will get Larry to dig out the info. and PM you or call you.
We have been out camping this week, Mon thru today. Shinim and Al invited us to go on vacation with them to Salt Fork. We had a great time.
Now we will catch up and be ready to go again! LOL
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Yeah, I knew you'all were off the 'net and camping. We had a great time camping last weekend with some friends that also have young children. We were camping at a waterpark and it made for a great setup.

Take your time getting the axle info...I likely won't be doing the swap until the winter. I have been busy this week, but got much accomplished. As for the AS, the new toilet is in and it's now wired for cable TV.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Did you get that Larry. Jason now has a new toilet wired with cable tv. Don't think I want to tune in to that station.
Ha ha.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
wondering

Inquiring minds want to know where the heck is the wifi going to be hooked up!??????

Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 07-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #153
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Jason... If you are going to the Metro Detroit rally I could pick up axles from axis in Elkhart ( they are in my back yard) and they will load them in my pick-up here and there will be enough help there to load them in yours. Just send a PM if you need help.

Mike
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Glad ya had a nice time Lou.
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
Old 07-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Did you get that Larry. Jason now has a new toilet wired with cable tv. Don't think I want to tune in to that station.
Ha ha.
Al
Yeah, I guess I could have worded that better...

But it brings up an interesting idea. Cable hookup in the bathroom...I'd never have to leave!
Old 07-04-2009, 06:36 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
Jason... If you are going to the Metro Detroit rally I could pick up axles from axis in Elkhart ( they are in my back yard) and they will load them in my pick-up here and there will be enough help there to load them in yours. Just send a PM if you need help.

Mike
Unfortunately, we're not going to Metro-Detroit as we have a wedding to go to for my wife's cousin in LaPorte, IN that weekend (but the AS is going, too!)

I've never heard of Axis axles before, but I would say that my #1 choice for axles would be the place that Larry used out of Cleveland. Until I talk with them, I'm not going to look elsewhere. Larry called last night to (assumably) give me info, but I'm in cell-phone-hell for the weekend so there's no calling back right now.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Salt Fork SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Glad ya had a nice time Lou.
Salt Fork was a huge and beautiful and mostly quiet park. We were there Mon.-Fri. a.m. The only problem with the park is that their skunk population was out of control! We got chased into the trailers a little earlier than we would have enjoyed. The skunks came out just after dark. One actually came and got under my lawn chair!!! I think it licked my foot!
Anyway, we had a great time. Shinim and Al, Larry and I took a tour around the local area. Cambridge is famous for decorative glass and we did all of the museums and glass companies. We went and saw the Hopalong Cassidy museum too. LOL! Then on Thurs. we went to Zanesville to see the sights. The Y bridge and Zane Grey museum and driving on the old National Road. And of course, we found some local eateries to stop at and have lunch. That was fun too.
Happy Fourth of July to you all! Hope you have a celebration! We need to keep remembering how important flying that flag is!
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 07-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #158
4 Rivet Member

Well I am finally caught up on the work around the house that didn't get done while we where camping with Lou and Larry. For those of You who have enjoyed Shinims desert magic before , here is a picture of the peanut butter pie we enjoyed for the weeks desert menu at alt Fork. We are planning on making 2 for Metro Detroit , the caramel sauce was a recent suggestion. The next addition may be crushed nuts on the top. We had a wonderful time sight seeing and the local eateries where fun. The lemon ice cream in Zanesville at Tom's was the best since 1984 in Korea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pnut butter.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	83438  
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Al
Now that's not fair.Post a pic of something that looks that good. Make one for Detroit-Metro Shinim,
Thanks
Roger
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
Old 07-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #160
Rivet Master

Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit Send a message via Skype™ to Airbiscuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Al
Now that's not fair.Post a pic of something that looks that good. Make one for Detroit-Metro Shinim,
Thanks
Roger
Make one for Roger, and one for me, then the two others go to the first ones who get to them! LOL!

Roger, talk about not fair, they sent me the picture via cell phone while they were eating it. I contemplated getting in the car and driving there just to teach them not to tease! But I held firm and waited on baited breath to see if any would survive the trip home... supposedly there is a piece waiting for me with my name on it, though I have yet to see it.
May have to go raid the fridge at mom & dad's.
Airbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ohio, rally