Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Edgewater Park , New Jersey
Nascar and RV's

Anyone have any experience or info on camping at or near the tracks during a race. I just called Richmond Raceway, where I have tickets, and they said the waiting list for trackside camping is 12 years.

I was thinking on pulling an A/S to Richmond, Dover, Pocono, Lowes or Bristol.

Any info or experiences would be appreciated.

JOe
FiveOJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
I can help with Talladega...
It turns into a city on it own.
Must be 20,000 campers.
Mostly outside and all around track.
You can reserve a spot in the infield.
Outside is free and first come first serve.
I would find an infield spot.

Lots of Rednecks, red dust and beer.

These photos are 'PG' rated

klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Bristol aka "Thunder Valley"

Joe, We camp at All American Campground, LLC during the spring race in March. Forget it in the fall. You may find a space by contacting AAC @
423-323 7247. The portion of the campground we utilize is rather $$$$ but we are close to the gate, have good services including power and water, pump out if needed, ice, two newspapers each morning and a good level, gravel covered spot with plenty of room for our TV and guest parking. They charge by the week. There are numerous campsites further from the track including the grounds of a church nearby. Even further away is a the wonderful Hungry Mother State Park, a part of the award winning Virginia State Park System. HAPPY TRAILS
Old 01-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Dover

We don't do the NSCAR thing, but we live nearby and have driven by the track during race weekend . It's quite an event around here, and all of the local campgrounds are booked solid for several miles around. It would be nice to see some silver amongst that vast sea of SOB's. Here are some of the details for 'parking' near the track.

Dover International Speedway - The Monster Mile®
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Once again my husband would love to go to one race this year. But as I look at how you are packed in like sardines I worry about taking the Airstream. Looks like a dent in the making.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Naw. Come on up and don't forget the bourbon and coke! We have a blast. Last year there were a few vintage Airstreamers in our park as well. VAJeep will be our side by side neighbors this March at Bristol.
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 01-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Darlington or bust!

We do it every year with severaL AS's.

No damage to AS but the head may suffer from Brownbag Flu.
I have seen many AS's at these events
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Left - Left - Left - Left. I'm getting dizzy!

I've been going to the USGP Formula One Race (Go Go Go- Down Shift - Down Shift - Down Shift - Hard Right! - Left - Up Shift - Right - You get the idea!) at Indianapolis every year since it started in 2000. We get better at it every year. The hordes stay at “Coke” field. We stay in the neighborhood (backyard) just off the track. Our place has power poles for the RVs, water and two bathrooms, one with a shower, specially built for race campers.

We have a short walk to the track and pick up great food on the way. Inside the track, it’s BYOB, all you can carry. Saturdays are great to roam around. It’s more crowded on race day, so you need to stay near your seat. It’s an international crowd, lots of colorfully painted Brazilians and Ferrari flags.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
We're in the process of moving from Richmond but there is a CG just north of us that my brother-in-law has stayed at and gave it pretty good marks. You might want to take a look/see

Campground: Americamps RV Park in Ashland Virginia

The Richmond NASCAR races have a HUGE following and they're in the process of adding more seats.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
No experience at Richmond but have done Talladega, Atlanta and Daytona beach many times in the Airstream. An experience my friend, an experience. We have renewing campsites but I see the new sites keep getting farther and farther away. Its an absolute zoo of RVs at any Nascar event but a fun that is hard to explain.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:13 AM   #11
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
They All Asked For You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
No experience at Richmond but have done Talladega, Atlanta and Daytona beach many times in the Airstream. An experience my friend, an experience. We have renewing campsites but I see the new sites keep getting farther and farther away. Its an absolute zoo of RVs at any Nascar event but a fun that is hard to explain.
Expane, explane....
I'd like to hear your point of view.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Talladega

"Dega" is a MUST for any NASCAR fan. You can see it all at Talladega. It's quite a circus. HAPPY TRAILS
Old 01-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #13
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdamer
Left - Left - Left - Left. I'm getting dizzy!...
We are road racing fans too! Bought our camper simply to go to the races and are thrilled to find out that this year open wheel racing is returning to our local track, Mid-Ohio! The Indy Racing League and the American LeMans series will be sharing the weekend. The camping at this track is amazing...pick your spot anywhere around the perimeter for $50 or pay $25 to stay in the tent camping area.

This spot was awsome. I could watch from my bed

The biggest problem we have when we go to the track is that we actually like to sleep at night and if you are unlucky enough to park next to an all night party...tough luck. It's worse than a Troubadour rehersal at 2am like the last Forum rally we went to

We'd like to do a NASCAR race someday. Does anybody have advice on camping at any northern tracks like Michigan, The Glen or Chicago?

Thanks,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
wow!

Steve, We love road racing as well but have never been. We need to do your track and watch the Vettes roll around. What a fabulous campsite! How early should we get to the track to obtain a site similar to yours? We've got to put that race on our list. Thanks, POP. HAPPY TRAILS
Old 01-25-2007, 07:56 AM   #15

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
...We love road racing as well but have never been. We need to do your track and watch the Vettes roll around. ...
Wow, I am pretty impressed that you could tell that those were Vettes in the picture

At Mid-Ohio season ticket holders get to pick a camping spot on Thursday night. I suppose a line forms for others outside the gate. We've never had season tickets or waited in line. We usually save the money and park in the camping area. Most people show up Friday evening and Saturday am. Getting there before lunch on Friday should get you a very nice spot anywhere around the track. There is always practice and qualifying on Fridays and with the smaller crowds that's the time to visit the paddock and garages.

The above picture is from the SCCA Runoffs from 2 years ago, which we no longer host. But we now have the NASA Championships which bring many many 'Vettes as well! And actually a more interesting variety of cars and classes.

We camp at every event but the motorcycle races. Like I said we like to sleep

We would love to hang out if you come up...

Steve

Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 01-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #16
_

. , .
hey did any of u nascar fans notice...

the toyota camry is on board...

NASCAR.COM - Toyota to race Cup, Busch beginning in '07 - Jan 23, 2006

it will be interesting to see how toyota will do...

the roush ford team says they will kick toyota's beeehind...

although his quote is...."i expect to had toyota their heads"

Kansas City Star | 01/25/2007 | Roush not frightened by the Toyota monster

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Steve, Couldn't tell there were Vettes in the picture; however, being a long time Corvette owner/fanatic, I do know all about the ALMS and Mid-Ohio.
I will contact you as plans develop as that would be great to be able to camp side by side in our Airsteams. Thanks for the information.
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St Petersburg , Florida
Honda Grand Prix of St Petersburg. One long weekend, three races...American Le Mans, Indy Pro Series, And IndyCar Series. Street racing is legal March 30 thru April 1st. Campsites available trackside. Check out this site Home - St. Petersburg Grand Prix. I'll be there.
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St Petersburg , Florida
Steve

I'm interstest in going to int Indy race in July. Is the site in your photo a typical site one can get by arriving at 7:00am Friday prior to race, or is this a site you would need to have an annual pass to get? Is the camping area on the website for this race the same as the races you have been to??
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #20

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
We usually stay in the "tent" camping area and spend $25/weekend instead of the $50 to park around the track (all the RV spots outside the tent camping area are on the outside of the track, see overhead view below).
It is difficult for me to say but I would guess that the competition for the trackside spots is pretty stiff during a popular "Pro" weekend. We attend SCCA club weekends too where it's always take your pick of spots.

Come to think of it I bet nothing longer than a 22' TT usually parks with the tents. But there are always at least a few TTs and a bunch of pop-ups.

Here's a picture of the "tent" camping area from the track...

Picture of track from "tent" camping area...

Explaination of areas in overhead view...

The red star on the last picture represents that awsome spot under the tree at the bottom of the hill. There are at least 60 spots down in that area with 1/5 of them along the track fence. When we got that spot it was opening day of a week long event. It turned out to be right on top of a swale that flooded during rainstorms. It only rained once though

Every spot is first come first served. I wish I could be more certain on availability but some would say that there isn't a bad spot anyway. And even though some may not have the view, all the RV spots have ready access to the track and the paddock.

Steve