Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
EAA Oskosh Airshow 2009

Time to start planning for Airventure. It's July 27 - August 2 in Oshkosh, WI. If you have never attended... and have any interest in airplanes... you will be amazed! It is the largest aviation event in the world. So many people attend that the only way to stay in the area is to camp, and they have a huge camping area on the grounds.

Airplanes? We are talking about thousands of airplanes - old, new, airliners, jet fighters, WW2, helicopters, light sport, seaplanes, aerobatic... it's quite a show. Also, many activities such as forums, music, films, museum, shows.

Last year I only saw about 3 Airstream trailers in the thousands of campers. We should be able to do better than that! Oshkosh is largely a celebration of aluminum!

Many people fly-in and camp in a tent by their planes. I own an old plane, but prefer to take the trailer to have a comfortable place to stay.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Not this year for me, but I wish. . .

My wife and I are lucky enough to have flown into Oshkosh twice in an airplane we built ourselves. One of the biggest thrills of my life.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
I drove my beamer from middle mich over via the ferry out of ludington and had the time of my life! I want to fly!
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
I am on my way home from Oshkosh as I write this. My son is driving so I am free to surf the web. I don't know where you looked, but I saw dozens of Airstreams last year. I posted pictures on the Yahoo Groups airstream site. There were a lot of them there this year, also. I saw a brand new Sprinter Airstream. It was a beauty but somewhat small for my use. I had a great time. I went to the outdoor movies in the campground. Saw the movie "The story of the X-15" starring Charles Bronson, Mary Tyler Moore, and a bunch of actors that you would recognize if you saw them but not necessarily their names. It was filmed in the mid '60s and it was fun to see all the old cars, airplanes, and fire equipment from those days. The acting was kind of hokey but I enjoyed the movie. Last night I watched Jeff Dunham and his puppets. Great show! He owns a Rotorway helicopter that he built. I spent a morning just driving around the campgound looking at older campers. Its the perfect place to window shop, there is every kind of camper known to man. I have flown into Oshkosh in my Cessna 175,but I prefer to drive up and camp. There is too much to do that requires ground transportation. Can't wait til next year!
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
a bunch of years ago, Jeff wrote a series of articles documenting the heli project, and it was serialized in one of the flying mags...can't remember each one, but I read them all online with great interest. It was very well done.

One day, I'll get to Oshkosh. Its on my bucket list.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote