Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #601
Sarah

Currently Looking...
First Capital , Ohio
and more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04268.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	106030   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04286.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	106031  

Name:	DSC04291.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	106032  
skinnyjumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #602
Sarah

Currently Looking...
First Capital , Ohio
and even more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04294.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	106036   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04311.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	106037  

Name:	DSC04334.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	106038  
skinnyjumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:42 AM   #603
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64airstream View Post
biggoofball,

Here's an attempt at posting the full sized photo...

Roy
That is a spectacular photo!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 AM   #604
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drag'nwagon View Post
MisterMike,
Perhaps you were right not to attend as it would have possibly ruined your second rally. As for not being totally prepared, well you would have the expertise and experience from all of us to get you through and probably fix anything that was wrong and repairable on site. The only part that would have left you hanging was the towing the trailer to get there part.
Thanks for your kind reply as well as to the several folks who sent PMs essentially telling me the same thing. I know that everyone would have helped us if we had any equipment difficulties and I appreciate that very much. Yes, I could have towed the Caravel the 250 miles or so from Vermont to Rob & Zoe's place and back but I still think it would have been premature. I know I could handle meeting so many new friends all at once but my wife and 12 year-old daughter, being very introverted and shy by nature, this would have been extremely stressful for them despite the fact that everyone was in the party mode and would have been happy to see us.

Additionally I don't even know if the plumbing, hot water and the propane systems even work, let alone how to even use them. I simply didn't have the time to fool around with them and June was here before I knew it. We all like to shower daily (even oftener in the summer) and there were no such facilities available in case we got there only to find out that they didn't function. When you add this to the fact that the trailer (not used for over two years) and tow vehicle just weren't ready for the journey and me with NO experience towing it anywhere I could see that this had the potential of being a personal disaster instead of the fun we anticipated.

This was a very difficult decision as I was looking forward to attending WBBB-I since February. It was obvious that this was going to be a very special, unique event and a great introduction to the world of camping and rallies. However I was concerned that if Cynthia and Yettive didn't have a totally wonderful experience the first time out they would never even consider it a second time. I am afraid we are just too accustomed to our creature comforts to take a chance on not having them available especially if the weather were to be hot and sticky. This is of course NO reflection on the event or the organizers as I knew up front what to expect as far as the amenities I felt we needed were not an option and I lack the knowledge and experience to be able to deal with the situation successfully.

I know from the two Airstreamers I have already met that we would have been welcomed as old friends by all the wonderful folks in attendance and my decision was not based on any fear of not fitting in or anything like that. I could have gone by myself, of course, but would have felt guilty leaving Cynthia and Yettive alone at home and would not have been able to enjoy myself. As Frank said: "If you're not having fun it's your own fault", this was my greatest concern.

By the time BB-II rolls around I will have some experience towing our beloved aluminum capsule like a pro as well as familiarity with the ancilliary systems and how to use them. I'm sure that we will "get up to speed" sooner or later and we'll hopefully be there, flags and antennas flying, next year.

Best regards,
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 AM   #605
3 Rivet Member

Skinnyjumbo...Your pictures are GREAT!!! Love the black and white shots..post more!!! Your mom is a Hoot!! Obie
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
https://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #606
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Man, Roy made me cry. He got me all choked up... All the comments are so appreciated to say the least.

I would like to hear any negative comments also. If you have any constructive criticism, please send me a PM. If we do this next year we want to make sure that it is an even bigger success than this one was. Unfortunately the venue was maxed out for guests and to have more people come we will need to find another location. I wonder if Max Yasgur's farm is available.

Some reading this thread have been living vicariously. Perhaps you would consider holding a Birthday Bash in your area next year, to run in conjunction with this one.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:42 AM   #607
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
OK, You asked for it.

-Next time you plan on a rally, could you at least have the courtesy of flying to Ohio to be sure my brakes work.

-Relocate the flies

-OK kinda serious here, just kinda though. Nametags. I suck at remembering people. I only have some much brain space, and I think I've used most of it.

I know the idea is stepping into dangerous waters, but I really wouldn't mind.

Perhaps a creative "nametag contest"?

--------------------

All involved did a great job this year. Despite my difficulties, we had a great time.

Thanks for hosting.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:43 AM   #608
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Well Frank, if Yasgur's farm is available I wonder if there may be a stage for Antsy to play on??? Maybe one is left in a old barn??
Old 06-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #609
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yasgur's farm has been transformed into an amazing performing arts center. It happens to be a local venue for us.

Bethel Woods Center for the Arts | Official Site

Although the actual spot where the stage was in '69 is still open....

Next year? How about a lake or river to swim in. The pool was great, but it got a tad crowded.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:16 AM   #610
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Well then...Is there a Monterey, New York??? A preview of B.B. 2011??
Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #611
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Thanks Guys!

We had a geat time and now we have experienced our first airstream event. We are still traveling and we are now in Illinois. I will post pics later. New York.... Our first time.... What a beautiful state.... Awesome people at the Birthday Bash.

Thanks again

Brian & Adrienne
Old 06-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #612
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
OK, You asked for it.

-Next time you plan on a rally, could you at least have the courtesy of flying to Ohio to be sure my brakes work.

-Relocate the flies

-OK kinda serious here, just kinda though. Nametags. I suck at remembering people. I only have some much brain space, and I think I've used most of it.

I know the idea is stepping into dangerous waters, but I really wouldn't mind.

Perhaps a creative "nametag contest"?

--------------------

All involved did a great job this year. Despite my difficulties, we had a great time.

Thanks for hosting.
Yeah, the flies were a pain in the posterior, but hey, it's a farm...

Liz and I were talking about the nametag thing on the way home. Instead of nametags, how about visor hats that folks could write their name on the bill. they would be much more functional than plain old name tags.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #613
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
June's photo contest theme is "The Spirit of an Airstream Rally" and the Birthday Bash definitely had spirit. Today is the last day to submit photos.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f415...t-65200-2.html

Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #614
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
Thanks so much Bob!!! One question: What's up with the pillow stuffing in the Zip Dee?

I really need to figure out how I can buy Gail's Trailer. Maybe she'll hang on to it for awhile until I sell my two.

Skip--You were missed at the BASH!! What an incredible time we had.....

I actually enjoyed "Two Ton Tillie" so much, (after cleaning her up for the season), that I might find it hard to part with her. I figured, though, the right folks, and the right price will make it happen sometime in the future!!!
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #615
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I made it safely to Lake George, NY on Monday. I finally recovered from the Bash and posted my photos.

Zoe and Rob,
Thanks for providing the space for hosting the rally. I had a fantastic time!
Thanks to all that cooked. Food was great!

Steve, John and Obie,
great support! Thanks for the aireal pictures, water and chief announcer.

Beth and Frank,
What can I say. You and Rob never stopped moving. Beth; Thanks for letting Frank have the time to organize the the rally.

It was well worth the 2540 mile drive!
I most likely wont see you next year. 2012 is a definate possiblity!

My pictures can be found here: Picasa Web Albums - 10425944131271906... - Birthday Bash...

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #616
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by drag'nwagon View Post
If it were not for the kids it would have been a BAS.
If we not for the kids the Bash would have been incomplete. (H)

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #617
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Think I've recovered now . . .

It has taken me a full day to regroup and come back down to earth.

Thanks to all who made this event possible. What everyone has said in the post rally posts goes for me too. Great memories have come from this rally. Just a very few things of many that stood out:
  • This was the most well attended rally I seen in four years of Airstreaming.
  • Antsy McClain is genuine, the real deal. Thank goodness he, as he puts it, has "narrowly escaped success several times." Antsy and his son, Grant, fit right in around the campfire just like any of the rest of us.
  • Diversity abounds and is a good thing. Let it never be forgotten that each and every Airstream comes with it's own special personality, just like each and every Airstreamer.
  • Tractor rides, fireworks and Kettle Corn go very well together.
  • When frugal, 25 gallons worth of water can last 4 days even with washing dishes, hair, and an 8 year old.
  • Running out of water during your Sunday night shower's rinse cycle isn't so nice.
  • Cooking with wine is an art to be shared. To Marc, Colin, and Mary Kim, I thoroughly enjoyed your company. Turning a sauce recipe into a 3-bottle event is how to handle a rainy day.
  • If one housefly gets into your trailer on day one, he will invite 58 of his closest friends before rally's end.
  • Rob Baker's wife, Zoe, should be canonized as the patron saint of Airstreaming wives and mothers.
  • Sunsets and silver just go together.
  • BFF's are made at Airstream rallies.
  • The let down of leaving is easier when mini-caravanning to the interstate. Ralph and Laura, you look great from behind! (BTW Laura, check your streetside tail light. Might need a new bulb for the brake light. )
  • Next time I'll give the camera to an 8-year old. "V" Waddell did WAY better than I in the photography department.
Many thanks to all of you that have posted photos. Roy, you need to enter a national contest with that fireworks shot!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #618
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
What can I say? The Bash was everything I thought it would be times a million. Not sure if I've ever had more fun with a group of people that I didn't really know in my life. From the frat atmosphere of the VAP recording to the happy hours (day-long) to the fantastic food to the even more fantastic people, it was a happening that will bring a smile to my face for a long, long time. My list of people to thank makes me feel like I just won a Grammy but bear with me. First and foremost the 4 great hosting families. Without their constant skyping, this event would not have been possible. Second, my pit crew. The guys that took me under their collective wing and helped with everything from hooking up my Reese Straitline to reworking the umbilical electrical and brake controller and providing a constant stream of advise for the tow home. Tom, Steve, Martin, Doug and more all went above and beyond with their service. Third, all my new friends. I'll list a few of my faves....Dick and Ethel, Floyd and Ann, Ace, Antsy, Gene, my brothers in reggae Steve and Martin, Margaret, Deb (who traded me cold beer for Mardi Gras beads), the Van Dammes, Obie, Bob, heck...everyone who stepped over me and not on me! Love you all.

On to some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bb2010 gene and dh.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	106069   Click image for larger version

Name:	bb2010 group.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	106070  

Name:	bb2010 van dammes.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	106071  

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog https://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #619
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
Here's the inside of the '64. Pretty much an example of an Airstream bachelor pad at its worst. No water, no electricity, no gas (lp), no problem. Snoring could be heard from the campfire, Dick Perkins said.

Our 1100 mile tow home (left Monday at 8 am, got home Tuesday at 3:30 am) included a bellypan repair and an alternator replacement. Tradewind towed like a dream, lights and all!

Peace...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bb2010 64 inside.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	106072   Click image for larger version

Name:	bb2010 64 inside2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	106073  

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog https://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #620
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
The let down of leaving is easier when mini-caravanning to the interstate. Ralph and Laura, you look great from behind! (BTW Laura, check your streetside tail light. Might need a new bulb for the brake light. )

Too bad we couldnt keep in the same direction. We seemed to always go different directions~! We had a nice time!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote