Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Could Rob have his name legally changed? Then he could name the event after himself!
With 4 Wally Juniors..

Love it!!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Go ahead and make it bigger

Guys, it's February. You're planning the rally in June. Why can't you enlarge it? If it won't fit on Rob's farm, then move it. It's five months away. No need to wait for 2011. If you want it bigger, do it now!

Heck, if you do that, I might even bring my spawn-of-the-devil AVION to it (said it was open to anyone with a shiny silver trailer...). I appreciate Wally too, ya know!

see ya 'round,
Old 02-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Name ???

How about ROZO Caravan Club ?? Maybe even "International" added.

Most of us would agree to the "KISS" principle.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Jim, If you were ever to come to Bakers Acres you would understand why we want to have it there. The three hundred mile view makes it so worth the sacrifice. The real issue in increasing the numbers is being able to deliver what we promise. If all goes well, 2011 will be much larger. Avions are very welcome by the way.

all the positive PMs and "thanks" have been very uplifting. Thank you all for your support.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Vintage Radios

We're going to have alot of vintage radios on display, so bring your old radios and record players.. check out Page 84 of Wanderlust.. we'll have a few of those too.... Looking forward to this alot!! I love the old sounds!!
Courtesy parking

Old 02-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #26
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
If there is any interest, I will be guiding a fishing trip on the Chenango River. No canoes needed, we'll be driving to within 100 yards of the river at about 5 different fishing holes. These are good spots, too. I've spent 30 years fishing this river and I can (almost) guarantee success. Pike, walleye, and trout will be the targeted species but we may get into the carp as well. While I don't eat carp, there is nothing like fighting a 15 pound carp on a light trout rig!

John
Old 02-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Rats I'd like to have been able to attend ESPECIALLY if it offends someone at IBT that I do go to outside rallies. I am definitely going to sign up for Alumaplaoosa - and refrain from contributing to any financial success of the International.

You've asked that this thread not turn into a bashing of the WBCCI so I'll try to stay helpful

HOWEVER....

Is it possible that there might be a "misunderstanding" by current WBCCI leadership due to cerebral fossilization of decades long term exposure to IBT politics - and that the owners of AIRSTREAM INC. might have just as much a claim to use Wally's name, image, etc. as the WBCCI says it has?

A mere assertion that "we own Wally's name" doesn't mean that the WBCCI actually DOES own it... it means that they have paid someone with a law degree to write a letter. The WBCCI may have some right to the name and image, but clearly it's not exclusive. Airstream DOES use Wally's image, name and likeness in it's website, advertising, etc. Every book about Airstreams or silver trailers mentions Wally - and I'll have to check, but I don't think any of those authors got PERMISSION to use it from the WBCCI. I'd also say that PeeWee could equally well assert the right to use his relative's name in any rally he wanted to attend or support. I know PeeWee wants to see the WBCCI continue, and I sympathize. I even say I yearn to see leadership which wants to serve the MEMBERS rather than just suck every last dollar out of the treasury before they go for the long dirt nap. The letter, while too small to be read easily, is presumptuous on more than one level and shows the IBT's usual care and concern for it's membership's welfare and rights.

You know what, tomorrow I'm going to Hancock Fabrics and I'm going to buy some silver lame cloth, and make a six section silver beret (sectioned like a baseball cap). I'll use round silver sequins as decorative rivets to draw attention to the seams on the sections. Once I get a model I like I'll GIVE away the pattern, the directions and the "right" to make a riveted beret. Argosy owners could do one in cream and bronze without rivets.

Paula
Old 02-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
That sounds too cute Paula, put me down for a pattern please. Susan.
Bo&Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
chapin , South Carolina
Inland Andy, the real small print may say it can not be duplicated without the express written consent of the WBCCI........

hows this sound.... Wall E Buyem Bash
oleschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Jim, If you were ever to come to Bakers Acres you would understand why we want to have it there. The three hundred mile view makes it so worth the sacrifice. The real issue in increasing the numbers is being able to deliver what we promise. If all goes well, 2011 will be much larger. Avions are very welcome by the way.

all the positive PMs and "thanks" have been very uplifting. Thank you all for your support.
I'v been to Bakers acres, I'm sure the view is more like 400 miles
I can almost see home from there.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
From my 'warped' point of view, I'd consider that 'letter' as being a 'Badge of Honor'...

Your great idea for a 'Birthday Bash' to invite like minded friends to get together doesn't sound like commercial, for profit enterprise to me...and just a mention on your web site that the event isn't connected with Wally's Wags in any way, should have been sufficient to disassociate your event from any such event they might hold, IMHO...I'm not an attorney, but I've been inside a courthouse...

Maybe they're just miffed they didn't think of it first!

Your 'Bash' sounds like a real blast - hope you have a good 'chuckle' around the campfire about the whole routine...

I would frame the letter and hang it up there on the mantle for all to see...

Have lots of fun - wish we could be there...

Ray in Nor-Cal
Old 02-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1970 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
Newport , Oregon
Hey Rob how about asking Tim to hold the West Coast "He who shall not be named" (sorry JK) Birthday Bash on the same weekend. let's see if we can fill it as fast. We could link the firesides by skype
buckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:31 AM   #33
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
Hey Rob how about asking Tim to hold the West Coast "He who shall not be named" (sorry JK) Birthday Bash on the same weekend. let's see if we can fill it as fast. We could link the firesides by skype
Dennis, It sound like you found a mission. I say go for it. We hold no claims to the title Birthday Bash. Maybe we could simacast it on the CBS morning show. Seriously, I think you should get three friends and make it happen. Really the only hard part is going to be find a venue with a 400 mile view
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:16 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
I hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
I'v been to Bakers acres, I'm sure the view is more like 400 miles
I can almost see home from there.
Right guys, you can see outer space from here!
Courtesy parking

Old 02-11-2010, 06:24 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Tons of Birthday Bashes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Dennis, It sound like you found a mission. I say go for it. We hold no claims to the title Birthday Bash. Maybe we could simacast it on the CBS morning show. Seriously, I think you should get three friends and make it happen. Really the only hard part is going to be find a venue with a 400 mile view
I'm sure there's some cool place up in the Sierra Nevada's that has a 300 mile views, or heck, up there on the Big Sur coastline at some State Park...

What a concept, little Birthday Bashes popping up all over the place that weekend!! I love it.

I'll get Tim to dial us all into a BASH VAP
Courtesy parking

Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Well Rob you sure know how to get the word out.

When I Google Wally Baym trademark I could not find any mention of his name as a trademark, but rather only the Beret. What is even more interesting is the fact that the Birthday Bash is right up there at third in line on a Google search. At that rate you should overtake the WBCCI in no time.

Maybe the WBCCI would be better off having Ms. Kimberly go after Google and there deeper pockets. Because they sure can ask you to have history removed from Google

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #37
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverOwner View Post
If there is any interest, I will be guiding a fishing trip on the Chenango River. No canoes needed, we'll be driving to within 100 yards of the river at about 5 different fishing holes. These are good spots, too. I've spent 30 years fishing this river and I can (almost) guarantee success. Pike, walleye, and trout will be the targeted species but we may get into the carp as well. While I don't eat carp, there is nothing like fighting a 15 pound carp on a light trout rig!

John
Fly or spin casting?
Fly I'm in! I will need the name of a local shop so I can get some local flys.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Sounds good!

Frank, thanks for the kind words. Sounds like a really nice place and a great idea.

Maybe I can check you guys next year then. Don't worry...I'll park in the back

take care,
Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #39
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Page and I are pretty much individual campers - this will be the second rally (actually the third, since we plan to attend the Nation's Capital rally on the way there). Our only other rally was the 4CU Balloon Fest. That was certainly a 10 out ot 10 rally. What a bunch of nice folks, too.

We chose to come to this one for a couple of reasons; first was time and place. Next was the confidence we felt that this would be a fun thing to do and a great chance to meet other Airstream enthusiasts.

Rob's farm looks to us to be a great jumping off point too - we've never been to the Finger Lakes. So we'll be looking for advice on where to spend a week or so camping/touring that area before we have to head for home. We'll be bringing our kayaks, and would love to be able to set up next to some lake and just be overwhelmed with the sights and sounds.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Anyone else have any ideas?

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #40
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Reminder for all New Englanders that I will be arranging a psuedo-caravan over to the Birthday Bash. Rob has advised me that the route to go is NY-23 which begins at the Mass/NY border goes over the Rip Van Winkle Bridge and meanders through the Catskills. One or two stops at older Diners. There is one right over the bridge that I have my eye on.

It will be a casual drive. Me heading up to 23 is a bit out of the way for me, but it sounds like it should be fun.

So again, pm me where you'll be coming from and your emails and mobile phone number, if you haven't already, and I'll send you my email address and mobile phone number. I haven't settled on a meet up location yet. I might go for a ride in early spring to check out the bridge and the diner near it. So far it's 4 of us.

I look forward to hearing from you.

one last thing, I have a portable CB so if you have one too it could make communication easier.