Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2009, 07:09 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Jason has asked me to let everyone know that we cannot make it to the CBR this year. The repairs have not gone well and we are no farther than we were last night. The gas and water lines still aren't connected and it doesn't look like they will be anytime soon. We're really disappointed and we were looking forward to meeting everyone.
Sorry to hear that.

If there's any way you can come, you definitely should. Last year a woman was there with a completely stripped camper - totally bare inside.

airstreamhobo called me this evening to let me know that a couple people were there already.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Hi all. I figure I should detail to you what is wrong with the trailer so you don't think I'm a complete lame-O. I really thought that going into this evening that all would go well and we would be on our way tomorrow. I kinda had that too good to be true feeling, turns out I was right. I'm not sure at this point how to even fix it, but it turns out that there's a few different sizes of copper pipe in our trailer. Unfortunately, the one that burst was of a thin-wall 1/2" variety and this doesn't lock into shark-bite connectors, which is what I bought in order to mate with the PEX that I am using to replace the trashed copper. Secondly, the gas line to the water heater was leaking. Due to corrosion and so forth, I couldn't just tighten it down nor loosen it to apply sealer without twisting the copper pipe. Therefore, I cut the pipe and removed the fittings. However, what was left was no longer round (due to having been bent 90 degr.) and therefore I couldn't get the flare nut over it much less get a flare on it. I made a last minute trip to Home Depot in hopes of connecting up the gas line, and of course they didn't have exactly what I needed so I had to pay $25 to get a bunch of stuff that might do the job instead of the $10 of stuff I really wanted. Well, I opted for a compression joint to go onto the supply line but the out-of-roundness of the supply line bit me again and when I turned on the gas, the compression joint just hissed. Without that joint sealed, I can't run the furnace. Without the furnace, my kids (young'ns) will get awfully cold at night since we also lose the ability to use the ceramic heater. So, between that and finding out about the slight off-size of my copper, I just gave up. It was 9pm, no stores were open anymore, and I can't sacrafice a vacation day to work on the AS tomorrow. So I'll stop rushing, do it right, think about things before laying down the money. I'm hoping to hit an Ohio WBCCI rally in late April. I also hope to be able to apply the two vacation days this week instead toward visiting with whomever from WDCU that is passing through Ohio on their way to international. Seems like I saw a travel itinerary somewhere...will have to dig that up and officially get it on the calendar.

This doesn't change our wanting to join the WBCCI nor the desire to designate WDC as our Unit. We are truly regretful that we can't make it. I think we made all possible efforts, but one has to know when it's right to plug the plug and lick one's wounds. We had originally told ourselves that would would do CBR next year and that this year was too soon to make a big trip with the "new" AS. Turns our we were right, and karma (or insert your higher power of choice here) made sure we knew that.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:12 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Never give up!

Jason,

Buddy Heater with 12' foot hose to main propane tanks (heat), Jugs of water for drinking/teeth/flushing toilet(porto potty on site)/etc.. can be heated on small camp stove if needed(water)

If you need a shower, I'm sure there will be someone that will let you blow off stink in their bath (Frank, your bath fix?).

Train the family now and you will be able to go camping no matter how bad the trailer maybe.

You would be surprised the problems some of us have!!
Me, no heat(mr. buddy, or small cat heater), can not leave water on(to many small leaks), Fantasic fan leaks, etc....
Old 04-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Hi all. I figure I should detail to you what is wrong with the trailer so you don't think I'm a complete lame-O. I really thought that going into this evening that all would go well and we would be on our way tomorrow. I kinda had that too good to be true feeling, turns out I was right. I'm not sure at this point how to even fix it, but it turns out that there's a few different sizes of copper pipe in our trailer. Unfortunately, the one that burst was of a thin-wall 1/2" variety and this doesn't lock into shark-bite connectors, which is what I bought in order to mate with the PEX that I am using to replace the trashed copper. Secondly, the gas line to the water heater was leaking. Due to corrosion and so forth, I couldn't just tighten it down nor loosen it to apply sealer without twisting the copper pipe. Therefore, I cut the pipe and removed the fittings. However, what was left was no longer round (due to having been bent 90 degr.) and therefore I couldn't get the flare nut over it much less get a flare on it. I made a last minute trip to Home Depot in hopes of connecting up the gas line, and of course they didn't have exactly what I needed so I had to pay $25 to get a bunch of stuff that might do the job instead of the $10 of stuff I really wanted. Well, I opted for a compression joint to go onto the supply line but the out-of-roundness of the supply line bit me again and when I turned on the gas, the compression joint just hissed. Without that joint sealed, I can't run the furnace. Without the furnace, my kids (young'ns) will get awfully cold at night since we also lose the ability to use the ceramic heater. So, between that and finding out about the slight off-size of my copper, I just gave up. It was 9pm, no stores were open anymore, and I can't sacrafice a vacation day to work on the AS tomorrow. So I'll stop rushing, do it right, think about things before laying down the money. I'm hoping to hit an Ohio WBCCI rally in late April. I also hope to be able to apply the two vacation days this week instead toward visiting with whomever from WDCU that is passing through Ohio on their way to international. Seems like I saw a travel itinerary somewhere...will have to dig that up and officially get it on the calendar.

This doesn't change our wanting to join the WBCCI nor the desire to designate WDC as our Unit. We are truly regretful that we can't make it. I think we made all possible efforts, but one has to know when it's right to plug the plug and lick one's wounds. We had originally told ourselves that would would do CBR next year and that this year was too soon to make a big trip with the "new" AS. Turns our we were right, and karma (or insert your higher power of choice here) made sure we knew that.
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I understand where you're coming from. I was shooting for CBR this year as well, but I'm not yet done with my back-half trailer restoration, and I found out some family news which makes it very difficult for us to travel such a long distance right now anyway.

SO... next year, maybe we'll meet at CBR 2010. I will have both the back AND front half renovation complete by then, my 18-month old will be 2 1/2, and our new baby will be 7 months old by that time and will surely love sleeping through the long distance drives!

Anyway, your copper pipe is likely odd-sized from freeze damage. Probably best to cut out all of the bad sections and re-plumb with new copper or PEX or whatever you like.

Good luck, and perhaps we will meet at next year's CBR 2010!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I too must poop out, because...

I'm in love. I've just met my newest grand nephew... and he is a living doll so I really do have to hang out around the family and get to know him better.

If this kid turns out to be the Budda reincarnated it won't surprise me. He just exudes this inner stillness... and he's barely walking.

Oh, I've also just made a high speed run to the factory - it's kinda bleak with about half of the factory laid off and even some of the front office crew and repair guys. The very fact that they got me in on a few days notice in APRIL should say it all.

Paula
Old 04-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Brief panic caused by the weather forecast this afternoon but by tonight it has improved alot. 9:30pm, it's cold here in CT and raining. Still have some issues for the am before we depart. ETA 2:30pm

The Bat Cave Express rides again....
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
well, i'm finally parked in the rally field at Rogers farm. one final and minor plumbing fix had to occur. thanks once again for the help from HowieE.

the amazing cast of characters including Pee Wee are here with more to arrive tomorrow. this is airstreaming at it's finest.

we gotta sick frank on dirk the biker dude tomorrow. dude has a brand spanking new rig that leaks everywhere. who the heck parked dirk at the end of the row anyway. there should be something in the blue book about parking newcomers in the middle.

cbr '09 is off to a nice mellow start. now if the rain would just let up for a few days.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Swoope , Virginia
ok guys, how 'bout some pictures for the poor folks who couldn't make it.
mikmilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #69
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmilr View Post
ok guys, how 'bout some pictures for the poor folks who couldn't make it.
In my desperation for some pics, I went through the back door.

The clown is my CBR hero.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Well just got home from our first Rally, first time ever sleeping in a travel trailer and on our maiden voyage with the 79 Argosy and I must say it was GREAT!!!!! Everyone was so welcoming and nice. I never meet so many people for the first time and felt like I knew them for years. I must say that Kim and Danee and the Rogers did a great job. Pee Wee was great to listen to, he really was a great person to meet. I felt very honored to hear his stories. I was not sure what to expect about the whole rally thing and I must say it has surpassed my expectations. I will definitely be there next year as a member and I hope to see everyone again this summer at other rallies.

Here are a couple photos for everyone. I only with I took more. The days flew by. I just realized that I did not even take a photo of my trailer at the rally. Can you believe it all that work and not one photo? If anyone took a photo of the Argosy at the rally could you send it to us?

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040057.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	77962   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4030042.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	77963  

Name:	P4030044.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	77964   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4030043.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	77965  

nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #71
IH Collector

1963 16' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
Cumberland , Rhode Island
Had a Great Time

We all arrived home safely with no incidents. Thanks to the DC Unit for putting on a great rally. The New England folks enjoyed the hospitality, food and fun. Here we are on Saturday in the middle of the cherry blossoms at the tidal basin near the Jefferson Memorial. We hope to do it again next year. All the best!

Paul & Melanie with Paul & Jane
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4791 (Medium).JPG
Views:	155
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	77991  
Old 04-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I had a great time, as usual. Erica did, too - she really enjoyed meeting everyone. I'm hoping to get my pictures up tonight. We have 136 or something like that...

Old 04-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
What a great time! Thanks all for being so darn friendly- as always! The hosts did a great job and Pee-Wee was great to talk to- but we enjoy getting to catch up with everyone and meeting a lot of new ones this year! Here is a pic I got on Friday evening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2323.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	78007  
Old 04-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

Well I made it home today.. I have posted on my Blog
AirstreamHobo Travels and also posted pictures on Picasa Album, click on the link at the begining of the blog to go to the pictures 144 posted. I had a real good time this week. I hope everyone did too. Many Thanks to the Hosts: The Rogers & The Alaniz' They tried very hard to show us a good Time as always at CBR. I know I gained alot of Airstream Friends this week. Meeting Pee Wee was my Highlight of the week. I hope everyone arrived home safely!!! See you next year at CBR 2010. "Obie"
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
https://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Finally got my pictures posted here. Captions will be updated later... (Just about all of my pics are from the DC trip...very few of the actual rally...)

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Having fun with the Washington D. C. Unit

I just have to thank the WDC unit for the CBR and not needing CPR.

Sue and I are home having left BWI, and landing at PHX.

We have enjoyed the ABC's, and the XYZ's of rallying in style in 2009.

Here is one of many pictures to show that you don't have to druge at a rally and it is fun clowning around, especially when one of your members is OBIE, the Great.

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_8479.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	78057  
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I've updated the pictures with captions and stuff...some panoramas on the way when my computer finishes processing them... could be a while!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

Munimula Quote ..".we gotta sick frank on dirk the biker dude tomorrow. dude has a brand spanking new rig that leaks everywhere. who the heck parked dirk at the end of the row anyway. there should be something in the blue book about parking newcomers in the middle."

Just for your information, we park people where they want if requested, Dirk said he had to leave sat nite and wanted an easy out. He was directed for the middle of the row, but he wanted the end.... we aim to please all Rally Goers!!! I think had a grand old time for his first Rally , He even paid up his dues to Rob. I am trying to talk him into an Airstream tatoo for next year, but he hasn't said yes yet???
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamhobo View Post
He even paid up his dues to Rob. I am trying to talk him into an Airstream tatoo for next year, but he hasn't said yes yet???

Obie, you mean like this one??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tatoo.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	78132  
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

Doug, Don't tell me you got that new Grand Daughter a Tatoo??? Congratulations to you & Terry for the new GrandDaughter!!!!!! We missed you at CBR.... But I remembered how to wave a flag from you in the past, so I got everyone Parked in a 1/2 wagon shape. Check out all the pictures everyone has posted, they will make you feel like you were there. The caravan thru Wash DC was awesome by those who did it!!!!!! I understand that the wife is now Dr. Terry??? With that $$$$ now you can tow a 34 footer... See you at Lockport I hope??? Obie
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2

Tags
cbr, wdcu