Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2003, 11:05 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Successful Galveston Rally

We just returned yesterday from 6 nights on the beach at Galveston in the Dellanera RV Park run by the Beach Authority.

For the first 5 nights, our 14 Airstreams were mostly alone in the park. On Saturday, the park filled to capacity with trailers of every description.

The park is right on the beach, and the wind blew onshore all week, so hard that I couldn't open the vents on the trailer. On our return, I washed at least 1/8" of salt from the back of the trailer.

Even with the wind, the week was truly fine. The two highlights for me were the full day at Moody Gardens and an afternoon at the Flight Museum. The best value of the week was the free round trip ride on the ferry across Galveston Bay.

We had 14 member units plus a member-at-large couple who enjoyed our group so much that they joined our unit at the rally. In addition, we had a guest couple from the Texas Hill Country Unit and a lone, unaffiliated Airstreamer who had spotted the rally on our unit website and had come by to find out about WBCCI.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 12:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Wish I could have made it!! A lot of history in Galveston. Been busy getting my boat ready for the season and polishing my Overlander, too many toys and too little time I guess. Let us know if you are seeing any ill effects from the salted ocean winds. I am planning a trip to South Padre Island later this summer and am a little concerned especially since I will have a fully stripped and polished unit. Guess I should Walbernize it?

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 12:37 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hey Chas, not to Hijack John's thread, but what are you using to polish your overlander? My trailer's polished but it needs a little tlc to shine it up again.

We're going to our first rally this weekend. I can't wait to finally get it on the road. Hope the weather clears up.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 01:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Nuvite.

There are several grades, go to perfectpolish.com and check them out. May need to get a cyclo but if you're not too picky you can get by with a rotary buffer or even a drill mounted buffing pad.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 01:47 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Walbernize

I had just waxed the trailer last week with the pink Walbernize. It rinsed off really well. Worst thing was getting the love bugs off the front. I had to use the brush on the top front.

We went through sone clouds of the love bugs where it sounded like it was raining. I had to stop and clean the windshield twice. They did clean up fairly easily on the freshly waxed surface.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 03:22 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
How disgusting. I've heard about the love bugs, I'm so glad we don't have them up here! I'll bet you were glad you'd just waxed it! Our rally is going to be at the beach too, but not close enough to actually have salt spray on the trailers. You must have been right on the water. Sounds like apretty cool place to be.

Thanks for the tip Chas, I'll check out that site.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote