Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2004, 07:05 PM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Talking Our personal Road to Lansing

We were able to head out earlier than expected. Left Saturday late afternoon and made it to Lake City (150 miles) Spent the night in a budget campground that was within cell coverage. Checked in and crashed for the night.

Got on the road this morning around 8:30 after making some seat of the pants adjustments on my carb. I am looking to find the sweet spot, I am currently running rich. Had a good day with no real trouble.I was able to finally identify a fuel issue. My engine stumbles under load but only after being on the road for a while, 200 miles or so. I attributed it to the delivery system, it locks like it is the fuel sock, so I am in for a tank drop when I get home. The trouble only starts once I get below half a tank. Made it to Monteagle for the night, got off the road early and settled in. I am working VIA my laptop over a cell connection. Slow but it works. For those that don't know Monteagle is the top of the Appalachians on I24. So tomorrow morning it is all DOWNHILL for 10 miles or so.

Met a nice couple from Pensacola that have a 67 Sovereign, not going to Lansing, but having fun in their vintage coach too.

I will be posting here on the trip as well as on the rally, what we see, do and take pictures of.

Check back tomorrow, we are suppose to meet a forum friend and get somewhere approx 3 hours out of Lansing before we stop. Where will it be? We don't know, thats the fun of it!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 07:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We'll enjoy your posts! Have a good trip as well as a great destination
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:46 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
So here we are 50 miles south of Indy. We would have gone further, but the campgrounds wanted too much for water and a dump station. Stopped in Louisville to visit with Steven Webster and leave some money at camping world. Edie has been figuring the mileage and today we topped 10 MPG on average. I may have to check the math. If the math is right, I sure don't want to mess with the jets on the carb

Today is a special day. It is the one year anniversary of the day I blew the engine in this MH up in Dallas. It has been a long strange trip, but I have enjoyed parts of it.

No real news, but I must make a gear head note. The MH hates gas that is 10% ethanol. The carb based engine just bucks and stumbles under load, but cruises fine. As soon as I filled up with it for the first time I though I got a bad tank of gas. I added a bottle of octane booster to help offset the ethanol, we will see how it does. When we first got this unit there were bottles of octane booster in one of the belly bins. Now I know why??

Hoping to get into Lansing early afternoon. We are not in the open parking. Based on some posts I think I am glad. We are in the WBCCI 30 AMP section, so I will let you know if it is dry.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 06-21-2004, 09:21 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Brett - so nice to meet you and Edie. I hope you didn't get that bad gas at the KOA I recommended! Safe travels to Lansing.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I have a great friend who has gone to Lansing and in playing in the band for the International Rally.
He is a "7 Star General" in WBCCI. Has 7 stars over his number on his 34' trailer.
Not many with that many years of membership. He is supposed to call and check in with some of the home crew at some point, but he hasn't yet.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:26 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm looking forward to your reports on the international. Going to next years international is a topic of much discussion around our house lately, so we're eager to hear what it's like for you this year. Have fun!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:48 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Sorry for the late post. The cell phone is soooo slow. I am a family member's home with broadband!

We made it in fine. The MH is likely in need of a minor timing adjustment so I will need to do that once I get home.

The weather has been WONDERFUL! Highs in the 70's nights have been in the 50's.

We are parked in Marshall Park, just east of Downtown. We are high and dry and on firm ground. Parking has been spread all over town due to the soft conditions at the Airport. Most members seem to be coping with the dislocation well so far.

Attached is a picture of our coach parked. The 30 Amp section is not yet full, but the scuttlebutt is that it looks to be full.

We were able to get registered today, have had time to look over the rally schedule a bit. The Flea Market is on Saturday . Every day is packed, but I may not be able to make many of the seminars due to WBCCI meetings I need to attend . I will try to offer a synopsis of some when I post tommrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6230002small.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	7297  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 06-23-2004, 09:21 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You guys know how to set up camp - love the flamingos

I got a brief message from another unit member saying there was a bad storm there tonight. Not too bad I hope.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Brett, We don't leave for and arrive at Lansing until this Saturday, 6/26 (it's only a 2 hour drive). Unfortunately, we still don't have a working fresh water tank or solar panels or a generator. As we are all being "spread around" town, are they making sure that we still have water and electric (3A) hookups?

Have you seen anything of a schedule of events. I have seen communications on the VAC Mailing List that the VAC Open house is either Saturday (6/26 I assume) or Wednesday 6/30. Can you confirm which is correct? Also, there is supposed to be a "swap meet/flea market". According to the communications on the VAC Mailing List this is also on Saturday (again 6/26 I assume). Can you confirm which Saturday they are talking about for these events (6/26 or 7/3)? I really want to scour the flea market for parts for our "new to us" '66 Overlander. It would really be unfortunate if it was all "picked over" before we get there Saturday afternoon. Thanks.

Joe
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 06:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
The MH is likely in need of a minor timing adjustment so I will need to do that once I get home.
Brett:

FYI - I bumped up the advance on the 345 from 4 degrees to 8 degrees before the trip to St. Louis last month. I noticed no difference on either the mileage or performance.

Just a word of caution - if you detect any pinging or knocking at all, buy or borrow a timing light before you start back - you sure don't want to destroy your new engine! Knock is acerbated by mediocre gasoline - it tends to "explode" (like a diesel) instead of producing smooth power with a clean, steady burn.

Have a great time.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:03 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Joe,

The Flea Market is on the schedule for 7/3

The parking committee is parking folks on the main rally grounds again. There will be the 3 amp electric and water available.

Just to put some rumors to rest. There were 3 rigs damaged in the parking. One was a trailer hitch that was damaged on a MH, they were towing it in back wards and the owner turned the wheel the wrong way, one that the dump handle was damaged on and I cannot remember the third one. I was assured by the WBCCI president that all units that were damaged have been or will be repaired. The field at the Airport is firming up and they ave actually moved some of the folks that were parked all over into the main parking areas.

The VAC open house is Wend. 6/30 form 1:00 to 3:00 according to the official rally schedule.

Dennis, I hear you on the ping/knock. I have none now, but I want to be sure the timing is not too retarded. The MH has power, but the stumbling must be due to something, it only happens when it is hot and has been run for quite a while. I want to verify that the timing is at the least correct. I am concerned that the timing has not been adjusted since the new motor was installed and the guys at the shop that installed it wee being rushed by yours truly to get it on the ground and out the door. I vaguely remember them timing it, but I am not sure.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 06-27-2004, 08:37 AM   #12
Magazine publisher
Commercial Member

Ferrisburg , Vermont
A lot of people got parked at wierd satellite locations last week while we were waiting for the ground to dry up at the main rally site (Capitol City Airport). No hookups at most of those spots, so it was a bit like boondocking at Wal-Mart, without the benefit of a Wal-Mart.

We were parked at the "Pro Bowl" -- a closed bowling alley a couple miles down the road. Saturday we relocated to the airport and got a nice spot in Green One, Row One. The weather is fantastic now (no need for A/C) and forecast to stay that way for this week.

Spirits are definitely improving now that people are getting hooked up and the weather is good. I predict a good week ahead. And even if you're still boondocking, isn't that what Airstreams are built for?

We found a decent Internet connection at Panera Bread, nearby, so we can check in a little more easily now. Next year we have to figure out how to beam Wi-Fi to some of the rally parking so those of us who are still working and have laptops can stay connected!

Other tidbits:

The local dealer (Woodland) has a huge selection of new trailers and Class B's on display, about 20, plus another dealer has half a dozen motorhomes. It's a lot of fun to check them out.

Lansing is not the grimy industrial town you might have envisioned. It's definitely mostly working class, but the MSU campus is very nice and there's plenty to do here. The downtown location of the Convention Center is on the Lansing River and fairly lively.

If anyone has questions, just post 'em here. I'm sure either newkid64 or I would be happy to answer them ...
Airstream Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:54 AM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Since you asked. Can we make requests of a few specific items from the swap meet? I figure the only way i'm going to find what I'm looking for is at the big swap meet.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:08 PM   #14
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
FF,

Post away. No Guarantees and if you have an upper limit on what you will spend you better post it. I can get vintage parts all day long if money is not an issue
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 06-29-2004, 03:17 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Here are some pictures of bulletin boards. They are of units that I know we have forum members that have not been able to attend the rally. There is also one that I do believe was painted by a member, I will reserve his name, but if he wants to step up and take credit, please do so.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	denver.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	7410   Click image for larger version

Name:	washinton.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	7411  

Name:	nashville.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	7412  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 06-29-2004, 03:23 PM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Here is one of the cool combs that pulled in. This one was in the 30 AMP section and he drove it in form St Pete Fl.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caddy.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	7413  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49