Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
1963 19' Globetrotter
1964 19' Globetrotter
Montreal , Quebec
Smile Florida state Rally 2006

Does anyone know the dates of the Sarasota Florida State Rally in 2006? I'm planning a trip to Florida and would like to include the rally.

Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Fsr 2006

I'm going from memory as I haven't seen it published yet. I think it is the week of 20-26 Feb 2006 in Sarasota.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:44 PM   #3
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Herb is correct, but the Official rally dates are Feb 22-26th. The workers park early and Herb is a committee chairman so he goes in early as well to get it ready for the rest of us.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I understand this is one rally to not miss, Deb & I are planning on making this year's..'06.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Here is the form to sign up for the rally. See you there!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FSR2006 Nautical nonsense.pdf (12.6 KB, 128 views)
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED
I understand this is one rally to not miss, Deb & I are planning on making this year's..'06.
It is supposed to be the second-largest rally of the year, every year. If you live in the Southeast, or even anywhere East of the Mississippi River, and can't make the International Rally, you should try to attend this one. Check the Forum Rally forum for info on the forum rally at Florida state rally.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Rally Report

We do a Rally Report on www.theVAP.com and in it, it has the dates of Rallies for the upcoming month, including the Florida State and the post Florida State get together! We post it on the first show of the month for the next month. Later,

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
Just an FYI - the vap.com is down - says 'offline - contact system administrator'
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Here is a pic of last years FSR.

Yes it is very big - have not been to an International yet - and I thought our Ontario Unit Rallies were big fields of Airstreams - topping out at about 70 each time - but this was 500+ - which we heard at one point this Rally pushed 1200-1500 in the late 70's early 80's.

We did not get to join in on too many functions as we were desperately trying to get our trailer plumbing fixed - for the rest of our holiday.

Being in our 40's the entertainment was a bit dated for us - but that is not to say the people there did not enjoy themselves - right up their alley. This was the most retirees we had seen at one time in our lives - and they sure do kick up their heels. Between the hours of 9-10

Although we were forewarned that the front was noisy (traffic) we had to try it out.(Thanks Rich L.) Noisy was an understatement! To us back road folk out in the country a 6 lane Hi-Way is real noisy - I think parked on a airport strip would have been quieter. Sirens, screetching lowd rumble cars and constant until about 3-4 in the morning then you had a couple of hours peace then it started up again at 5-6. So if noise is an issue for you - you might want to seriously consider the back. Also if you have Pets and want to take them for a run - the best spot was way in the back -- so far we had to drive them there.

However - Vintage is another issue - to park with the "group" then you suffer with the noise.

Not sure why Vintage has to be in the front(and I am sure it will be a hard sell for the organizers who have "always done it that way" to change) - there would be a bigger Vintage show if we all parked in a big circle in the very back. Stick one vintage show rig out in the front - with a big sign for the Open house on Saturday and then have arrows for the back where the open house would be. That way the vintage are not competing with the NEW - BATES RV all week long. I hear they have some cool vintage rigs they are overhauling for recruitment sales offices - maybe they could be the "Bait" or the Attraction - so that we could all move back together and would not be missed.

Probably could get a real nice open house affair going on - get a VAC table set up and encourage new WBCCI and VAC registrations - locally and across the country for the visitors that are WBCCI members but not VAC members.

Anyway just an observation......heading down again this year with our Globe Trotter and two fur babies.

In the pic below if you look really hard and get your imagination flowing you can just see the group of us vintage to the very far right and bottom of the photo - yep we made the front page alright but not the arial pic - shame...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04FSR.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	17679  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Ps

For you younger folk who have a hard time sleeping

If you wake up a bit too late on the Sunday morning - you will miss the mass exodus - and be sleep soundly - but with a constant squeel of electric brakes as almost 500+ rigs leave all at once.

Seriously we were stuck in the field as our electic box was under 6 inches of water and we could find no one to turn the power off for us to unplug - so we hung out until the storm passed.

There were about 25 rigs all around us when we went to bed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_9117.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	17681  
Old 01-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Yes, we were there, and boy did it rain, not to mention the mud right outside our door. The entertainment was hokey, but we still had a blast. Don't forget you get ice cream every night. All of the older people we met were very friendly and seemed to enjoy our company. Terry even helped the older couple next to us get thier brakes fixed.
Also, we had coffee Sunday morning because I have a stove top percolator, and we were offering it to every one. So, if you need it this time around, we are in the 63 overlander, and the percolator will be with me.
Also for the ladies, I have a 12 volt hairdryer (bought at the flea market) and if need, I am willing to loan it out.
Hope to see all of you there. The more younger people who show up, the more likely we will get new ideas. The older population is not going to last many more years.
Marie
Old 01-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
1963 19' Globetrotter
1964 19' Globetrotter
Montreal , Quebec
We were there last year and seemed to be the only ones with small kids. There were no activities for children. This year we are headed back to Florida but will be going to the Tin Can Tourist Rally instead. We will also include a couple of nights on the Skyway Bridge.
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi
We were there last year and seemed to be the only ones with small kids. There were no activities for children.
Yes, that is something that needs to be addressed. And FIXED, if the club is going to attract younger people. Maybe the Forum Dinner this year could be at Chuck E Cheese's pizza place. (for those of you that don't know, they cater to kids and families). Hey, it's a start...
Old 01-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Franklin , Tennessee
What type facilities are at the Florida State Rally

I'm sure it must be published somewhere; what type facilities do they have at this rally. 30 amp everywhere? Water? (hopefully , but doubtfully ) sewer?

Thanks,
Gerry Goffinet
6948 and coming
nangoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Tennessee
When does it end exactly

Folks,

I need to pick some people up at the airport in Tampa on 2/26, scheduling flights now...can someone tell me when on 2/26 the rally is actually over? Does it typically conclude on 2/25 or are there typically closing ceremonies on the last day (26th)? If so, how late in the day? Thanks, Gerry Goffinet
Old 01-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by nangoff
I'm sure it must be published somewhere; what type facilities do they have at this rally. 30 amp everywhere? Water? (hopefully , but doubtfully ) sewer?

Thanks,
Gerry Goffinet
6948 and coming
They offer rally power (3 amp) and city water in series with others in your row. They have dump facilities, but no live sewer hookups. Soooo, you can have lights and a tv set, but no electric heater, and no air conditioner. Breakfast is around 8 am daily (part of the rally), but you need to get there before 8 to get breakfast.
Other meals are your responsibility, with the exception of the closing banquet on Saturday evening, which is also provided with your rally fee. Ice cream is also provided after each evening's entertainment. On-site restrooms with showers are available, as is dial-up internet on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The Forum Dinner and Movie is tentatively scheduled for Thursday night, as the Thursday entertainment is usually, umm, not as good as the stuff you see Friday and Saturday. Any requests for a specific movie should be made no later than a week before opening day of the main rally, so the AV people can count votes for a specific movie, and procure it.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:23 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Folks,

I need to pick some people up at the airport in Tampa on 2/26, scheduling flights now...can someone tell me when on 2/26 the rally is actually over? Does it typically conclude on 2/25 or are there typically closing ceremonies on the last day (26th)? If so, how late in the day? Thanks, Gerry Goffinet
Closing ceremonies are typically at 11 AM Sunday. ( I will double check this. If it is different, it will be changed in this post). Tampa airport is about an hour and a half's drive away, maybe a bit less, but you need to leave your Airstream before entering the airport. Clearance at the main terminal is about 8'.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:29 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Tennessee
After the rally

Terry and group, I'd like to stay in the vacinity of Sarasota for about a week after the rally. I suspect I can't stay at the fairgrounds. Is there another place you are aware of that I can contact and make arrangements? Thanks, Gerry
Old 01-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Terry and group, I'd like to stay in the vacinity of Sarasota for about a week after the rally. I suspect I can't stay at the fairgrounds. Is there another place you are aware of that I can contact and make arrangements? Thanks, Gerry
Yes, there is a state park a tad further south of Sarasota, called Myakka River State Park. Reserve now, as it is the height of Snowbird Season here.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Punta Gorda is just another 45 min south depending on what you are looking for - Paradise Park - Airstream - Class A only park with free golf on a 9 holer - full hookups for I think 119US for the week.

They usually have spots on the Visitor Parking section.