Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Greetings Corraleno,
Sorry to hear about your transit damage.
I had some sheet metal damage to my Excella when a tire blew out while towing. I learned the local Airstream dealer, Holiday Travel Trailer on Central does sheet metal replacement. They did a reasonably good job for me.
Jerry
Thanks for the tip Jerry, I'll check them out. Do you mind if I ask how much it was? You can PM me if you want. I'm trying to get an idea of how much to go after the shipper for.

Jackie
Old 01-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I'm so sorry you are going though this, Hope to see you at the resto rally, maybe I can give you a hand to the road to recovery.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I have this rally posted in several areas, so some of the folks are letting me know outside the forum.

However everyone who in on the forum who wants to attend should go to the link above and put your name down.

WOW what a bummer in transport. Now that we have this restoration rally going, I'm going to visit Holiday Travel Trailer and see if they would be willing to come out and join us - give some tips on repairs.

Carrleno - I know it looks bad, but skin can be replaced - the older the trailer the easier it is - so bring the trailer out - you will have a lot of folks give you a lot of opinions on fixing it - please be sure it is fixable - its just flat sheets of metal - hopefully you can get some insurance money to help pay for it - its much more time consuming than it is material cost. Been there done that when I first got my 58 - it was overwelming, but you take it one step at a time and it will come together and you will have a nice trailer.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 01-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Aerowood - thats great that its and electric cycle - thats something I would like to try out.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-26-2008, 01:58 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Ken, no promises this far in advance but if I can get away I would like to bring a gutted 1960 Traveler for a frame off floor replacement. I can have the belly pan removed, any frame needs identified and repaired before we leave Riverside. If that is too ambitious I'll see if I can have the floor done in advance and try to do a belly pan and banana wrap instead. Will the rally site accommodate us dismantling our trailers for the time needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
The rally is scheduled for the last weekend in April (25 to 28ish).

The FCU is trying to come up with some different ideas for rallies and this is one of them.

Extreme makeover - hmmmm that would be really cool - think we can do it? Anyone want to volunteer their trailer ?? Hee Hee....

Yes the plan is to make it very educational - but of course very fun. We already have someone signed up to do an electrical presentation, a solar presentation and Rosie (Aka Ellyn - my wife) will demonstrate buck riveting - this time without getting a hole drilled into her finger (I'll let her tell that story - I swear it wasn't my fault - - - - course not sure she would agree with that one.... )

And I know we have a floor section to repair on one trailer.

So again let us know your interest and plans

As with all of our now famous FCU events - it will be lots of fun.

Ken J.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 01-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Wow - I think this is the extreme makeover Jerry was talking about. This could be done if we have a bunch of hands. I've got you on my list, hope you can make it - over the next few weeks I'll be getting this rally organized and will put a list together of all the things we want to accomplish.

As far as the floor goes, what do you plan to do in terms of new wood - are you planning to seal the wood in anyway? What I did was epoxy the edges and then Verathane the rest of the floor so that hopefully it will not rot again.

This also brings up the question of how many days we want to have this rally for - being that I am a CPA type, I tend to take time off in late April so I'm good for whatever we decide.

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
BTW - I used to own a 59 Traveler, so I know that trailer really really well.

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I just signed up. I can bring a large air compressor. Just let me know.

I am interested in shell off floor replacement and plumbing. I look forward to meeting all of you and a fun few days of Airstream repair!!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Major cool - we have Air!! (pun intended) Yes a large compressor would be nice - doe it run off of 110 volts?

I now have 17 committed and somewhat commited - getting close to the 20 was thinking should be a max - we can re-evaluate that if need be.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Ken.....it's a 30 gallon tall Craftsman compressor and runs off of 110v. Please let me know if you want me to bring it. I can also bring a fairly long extension cord too.

Let me know of anything else I can do to help you out with this.....just looked at the RV resort online....looks like a nice place!
Old 01-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yes I think yours is much bigger than mine - so yeah if it would be ok, plan to bring it. I've got lots of air hose, so probably won't need extension cords.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Some updates.....

If each of you who have signed up or are interested, please pm me your e-mail address, I will update you that way too (in additional to the forum) so that we all make sure we communicate with each other. We have folks signed up on and off the Forum and want to make sure each of you know what is going on.

The response has been really great for this rally and mentioned a couple of items.

Its important to know that we will be camped right next to Camping World - so if we need parts or even any work done on trailers we are a stones throw from there.

Second - since there will be enough of us - lets put together a big swap meet - bring your old (or new) parts that you want to part with and maybe it will pay for your trip (although in my experience, I usually spend more than I make at the swap meet) Lets try to make this the biggest Airstream swap meet - even if you are not joining us for the rally, bring stuff anyway.

And third - since we have folks with some larger projects and coming long distances, we will expand the rally beyond the weekend - stay tuned for that.

Stay tuned.....

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Ken,

I have sent you my email address and will plan on bringing the compressor to the rally.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thanks and bunch!
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-28-2008, 01:24 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
Ken, is it OK if we bring the kiddos Saturday & Sunday? Since our poor squished Pacer is not remotely campable, we will leave it at the campground during the rally, so we can work on it, but we will probably drive home at night.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yes! Kids are always welcome...!
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Extreme makeover - hmmmm that would be really cool - think we can do it? Anyone want to volunteer their trailer ?? Hee Hee....
I'll certainly volunteer mine -- and the "demolition" phase has already been done, thanks to Mr Ray "Hot Shot Express" Reavis.

The frame has been redone, but other than that the trailer is as naked as you can get. Interior skins off, no electrics/plumbing/tanks, nada. We would love help with the bodywork (Aerowood has very kindly offered to source materials for us and fabricate a few things), running electric & plumbing lines and installing tanks (we've rehabbed a couple of houses but have zero experience with trailers), and getting the interior skins back up. We're willing to put in long hours and supply lots of food and beer!

Then it would at least be usable -- even if we were just sleeping on air matresses and using a cooler, at least we could get to a few more rallies this year!

(BTW, I sent in our application for the FCU via the main WBCCI website -- I hope that was the right way to do it.)
Old 01-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
applications are sent to the Unit

Corraleno,
Normally, applications are sent to the Unit. An exception would be if someone wanted to join the WBCCI as a Member At Large, MAL, with no unit affiliation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corraleno
(BTW, I sent in our application for the FCU via the main WBCCI website -- I hope that was the right way to do it.)
AIR #10274
Old 01-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
Oops.

OK, I just went to the FCU website linked in your signature, and printed out the application form. Who do I make out the check to, and do I send it to the address on the form (Glendale, AZ)?

Thanks,
Jackie
Old 01-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #60
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Jackie and welcome. Make the check out to Four Corners Unit and send to me, Brad, at the address that's listed on the form. Hopefully its the Port Au Prince address.

Thanks and I look forward to meeting you.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
Closed Thread