Old 01-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Airstream Rally at Balloon Fest 2020 any hope?

We have been wanting to go to Balloon Festival for many years and decided 2020 would be the one.
We would very much like to join in with the Airstream Group ,but I realized that the odds were slim when I started seriously looking in August 2019. Unfortunately the registration process is still in 1990's using snail mail. This is great and a fair way to do it if you are living in the USA when the January surprise date comes.
Fortunately (no cold weather...LOL) we are in Mexico for January/feb and I dont see how I could get a posted snail mail thru? Ive noticed other people commenting on being away on cruises etc as well so they dont have much hope either.
To cover myself and make sure I got to see the show I registered online for the rally dates 1 minute after opening.This was done on the general rally site in mid-October. I know I can cancel with a very small penalty if I can get in with the airstream group. Im confirmed in VIP West which is close to the group anyway , I think...... it was in 2019 anyway?

My Questions ;
If I can arrange for family to mail a cheque from Canada does this work (not my name on Chq??)
Im assuming Canadians send a chq marked US$ as you wouldn't be able to send a draft/money order etc as you may not get in and can't cancel a draft??
I heard the 2019 group area wasn't full (cancellations etc??) could I move over if that is the case? I will already have a site...same dates?

The great thing is we are going ....we probably will not get to stay with the group but it will be amazing anyway.
We are doing Glacier National park...Yellowstone....Grand Teton....The Custer State Park Buffalo roundup then down thru Denver on the way there, so it will be a great trip!

Thanks in advance for any help

rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
It really does not matter who’s name is on the check we go by registration form - yes the rally fee needs to be in US dollars as it costs us to have a Canadian check put into collection to convert to US dollars which costs about $9 - we could raise the rally fee and do pay pal or some sort of software to collect the rally fee however our goal has been to keep the rally fee as low as we can - the only money we have to work with is approx $15 per registration rally fee and for that you get a great meal plus any other expense we have - the rest goes to the balloon fiesta folks - if there is a better way to do this we are all ears

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Thanks Ken ..... I know its in US$. I was hoping the question would get posted to the forum and I would hear from people who have dealt with it before. Ive heard that the Canadian banks won't accept cheques anymore that say US$. In other words if I write a chq on a Canadian Bank it will be in Canadian funds ...same as a US chq will be in US $. It use to be that you could write on the chq ...US$.... Ive heard thats not working now.
I have no problem with the amounts as Ive already paid in full to the Balloon site and would pay again to the airstream site... then apply for a refund from the Balloon site.
Hopefully we are staying in the same area(VIP West) and will get to meet some of the group.

Unfortunately I guess I didnt press the correct buttons to send my questions out to the general group?? Thanks anyway
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote