Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
2013 Rose Parade Rally

Danielle and I attended the 2013 WBCCI Rose Parade Rally (Tournament of Roses Parade Rally?) and had a wonderful time. For us this was a bucket list event but we will certainly consider attending again in the future.

Region 12 members and other volunteers have this rally organized very well. Parking, food, parties - it was all great! I urge you to consider attending this rally.

One of the attendees mentioned that anyone (and I mean anyone) can help build one of several floats for the parade. In Rose Parade lingo these are the "self-built" floats. But don't think self-built means anything less than fantastic! We spent a few hours working on the Sierra Madre float and thoroughly enjoyed our time with that group. Here's a couple of YouTube clips for the Sierra Madre entry:

To help with the Sierra Madre float you simply show up at the build barn off Sierra Madre Boulevard and sign a volunteer waiver. After that you can come and go and help when time permits.

Other comments about the rally:

This is a great location - just a few blocks from the parade route and just a few miles from many major things to do/see while you're in Pasadena.

The parade is not the only event associated with the Parade. 1) There is a band fest at the local football stadium (not the Rose Bowl). The band fest was three separate time slots (you choose one or more to attend). I highly recommend band fest. 2) Float building - this is a self-paced tour of several professional float building barns. Be prepared for crowds! 3) Equestrian events - this is a competition of equestrian parade entries. Similar to band fest but with horses. 4) Post parade float viewing - great for seeing the floats up close after the parade. Once again, be prepared for crowds.

I cannot say enough about the parade and rally. This is truly a great experience! Be sure to work on a float - it makes the experience so much more meaningful.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #2

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
A couple of my friends were there and had an absolutely amazing time!
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Hey Lucius
We have to agree with everything you said. We had a great time and as Gail said in an email to one of her freinds"she hadn't been that excited since she was a kid waiting for Santa Claus." Region 12 and freinds did a bang up job on the facilities and amenities. The horse show and bandfest were an absolute must as was the close up viewing of the floats. Its just amazing to see how they put these floats together.
Pete & Gail
Airstream Annie is offline   Reply With Quote