Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #201
Emmett & Roxie

2008 28' Safari SE
Friendswood , Texas
Unfortunately, Brazos Bend State park is still closed for camping following Hurricane Ike last September as is Galveston Island State park. I haven't checked but strongly believe that Quintana Beach county park is probably not open either. South of Houston and along the Gulf coast west of Palacious to the Lousiana border suffered heavily during Ike and many people are still displaced. Most of the commercial campgrounds in the coastal areas are full due to the number of people still living their RV's while their houses are repaired. Stephen F. Austin State Park, Palmetto State Park, Huntsville State Park are open, but heavily used and it is very hard to get in at the last minute. Use the Texas Parks and Wildlife web page and their on-line service to check availability. One park that seems to always have space is Double Lake just north of Houston on US 59. That would be about 5 hours to San Antonio skirting around the north side of Houston and then to I-10. Maybe better to try some of the commercial campgrounds in New Braunfels or Austin.
Emmett&Roxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #202
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Thanks for all the advice on and off the forums. I think we have a plan now. We'll wander along and see you all at the rally. I've got the 67 Safari with us this time . It's very close to original, even has the original upolstry in great condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safari in winter.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	74783  
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #203
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Doug... Safe travels and the weather here is looking up.. overcast right now but it will clear out... Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #204
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
The weather here in Austin is beautiful right now, and we're very close to San Antone (90 miles or so). It's in the 40s right now, but it'll be sunny and 60s by the afternoon.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #205
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
We are now in Bastrop State Park near Austin.. was 59 F today and going down to 27 tonight... here until Sun than into Braunig... ... this state park is beautiful.. a little too much road noise for me ..
WBCCI 10103
Old 01-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #206
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Everyone should remember to bring anything they’d like to sell for the Shop and Swap to be held on Saturday morning from 9-11AM. Table setup for individuals and vendors begins at 8 AM. There is no charge for entering the grounds or for setting up a table to sell your Airstream parts, craft items or whatever you have on Saturday. Stick around and tour the Vintage Airstreams Open House in the afternoon and vote on the trailer you liked best.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Going to have to cancel

Work is gonna show it's ugly head and I'm going to have to cancel... I shouldn't complain about work as my company just cut 7% of it's workforce in the US today... I still have my job. Do more with less, everyone pulls up the slack and continues on....

I've sent a note to Elaine this afternoon... I think there is a waiting list to get in at the park. Hope somone can make good use of the spot we will give up...

Maybe next year...
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:47 AM   #208
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I'd received an email from Elaine advising that she'd received a cancellation this afternoon, but I didn't know who it was. I am so sorry it is you two. We were so looking forward to visiting with you two again.

With your cancellation we're now at 103 units. Elaine thinks she has a replacement for you, but isn't certain. We've pretty much been able to get everyone a site who was on the waiting list (we had six units on the waiting list) once the park relented and gave us an additional four sites. If anyone wants in now is the time to contact Elaine via email at elaine@gaj.com and let her know.

GStephens
Old 01-30-2009, 05:45 AM   #209
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
We still have snow and ice on the ground, but roads are beginning to clear. We are hoping for some serious melt this weekend. Assuming no setbacks, we plan to start for Texas early next week. Still debating the route we will take. Any suggestions, or road reports, that give preference to going through Oklahoma or Arkansas would be appreciated. I was told that dropping down to I-40 from Joplin, Mo.(I-44) on Hwy 71 was very scenic but understand they had the same storm (only worse) that went through southwest Missouri. The other option being considered was going through Oklahoma City and dropping down through Dallas. This is really how I like to plan my trips--don't get too definite until you pull out of the driveway, and then be flexible.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:35 AM   #210
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Stray -
I just checked the weather forecast for our area during the period of the rally ~

Daytime - Sunny to mostly sunny with temps expected to be from 67 to 72
(us Texans will be shivering in light coats!)

Overnight - Temps are guesstimated to be from 40 to 47

No rain expected. No snow is a guarantee! So OK, if it snows, I owe you a beer!

Looks like the weather is going to be absolutely perfect, as ordered by GStephens. So -Ya'll Come On Down and enjoy all the fun!!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:04 AM   #211
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
nohillgrish, though I’ve traveled through NW Arkansas and SE Oklahoma extensively in some breathtaking country, I don’t remember that much about the road numbers to be able to help you; however, once you get to Texas I do have a suggested route. US Hwy 281 offers a much, much more scenic North/South route into San Antonio than IH-35. IH-35 mainly follows the prairie down to San Antonio whereas US 281 goes through many scenic hills. Many, many travelers are currently trying to avoid IH-35 also because of the heavy traffic and construction slowdowns you would experience going that way. US 281 takes you down through a number of small Texas Hill Country towns. Much of it is two lane with broad shoulders. Other sections are four lane undivided highway and then once you near San Antonio, it becomes divided four lane. It is a good highway the whole route. US 281 becomes or transitions into IH 37 on the South Side of San Antonio and after this transition occurs, you are at the exit off IH 37 into the Braunig Lake RV park. Feel free to phone me should you wish to discuss this further or if I may help in any other way. You have my phone number.

GStephens
Old 01-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #212
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
Stray -
I just checked the weather forecast for our area during the period of the rally ~

Daytime - Sunny to mostly sunny with temps expected to be from 67 to 72
(us Texans will be shivering in light coats!)

Overnight - Temps are guesstimated to be from 40 to 47

No rain expected. No snow is a guarantee! So OK, if it snows, I owe you a beer!

Looks like the weather is going to be absolutely perfect, as ordered by GStephens. So -Ya'll Come On Down and enjoy all the fun!!
Great it's shorts and T-shirt weather for us Canadians.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #213
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Stray,
By this weekend, Oklahoma City, OK will clear if ya want to come this way. We are leaving Monday before noon. Got to drop off a couple of MANX kittens at the vets, then we will be on our way. It would be cool if we could caravan.
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #214
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
George and the other event organizers are even working on the weather for us. What a great forecast!!!!!!
Wednesday, Feb 4

High: 69 °F RealFeel®: 70 °F
Sunshine and patchy clouds

Wednesday Night, Feb 4

Low: 45 °F RealFeel®: 37 °F
Clear

Forecast Details | Hourly Forecast Available on Premium | AccuPOP® Precipitation Forecast
Thursday, Feb 5

High: 68 °F RealFeel®: 67 °F
A full day of sunshine

Thursday Night, Feb 5

Low: 47 °F RealFeel®: 40 °F
Clear

Forecast Details | Hourly Forecast Available on Premium | AccuPOP® Precipitation Forecast

Friday, Feb 6

High: 67 °F RealFeel®: 66 °F
Sunshine and patchy clouds

Friday Night, Feb 6

Low: 52 °F RealFeel®: 47 °F
Patchy clouds

Saturday, Feb 7

High: 70 °F RealFeel®: 66 °F
A blend of sun and clouds with a passing shower

Saturday Night, Feb 7

Low: 53 °F RealFeel®: 47 °F
Mostly cloudy with a passing shower
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #215
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
The RV Park has just given us four more sites for the rally. As of tonight, we have three of those four sites open if anyone is interested in attending. I know this is last minute, but we have been turning folks away now for close to three weeks and have this last minute opportunity thanks to the Park finding us these four sites for which they apparently had cancellations from other RVers. If anyone is interested, contact Elaine Jackson via email elaine@gaj.com as soon as possible. Since it is so late in the game, I’m relatively sure she’ll agree to take your rally fees at the rally.

GStephens
Old 01-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #216
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
A balmy 70 Degrees????

That's Speedo weather. I'll bring my aluminum colored one

Why do you all look like this...?

Steve
Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #217
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Steve, Doug & Extiger,
You guys are my new favorite weather folks. Whatever it takes, I'm going to get my trailer dug out of the ice this weekend and get it ready for the trip to "the promised land" of great weather, great people and warm hearts.
Gayland,
I'm taking a serious look at the Hwy 281 alternative you suggest. At first glance, it looks like that route will add 80 miles or so to the trip. However, the drive you describe is my kind of country and sounds like it may well be worth the extra miles.
CJ,
Will PM you about more specifics on our travel plans.
Thanks to all.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #218
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Hello everyone ... Well we are here and it is sunny and the sky is blue... VERY WINDY... all awnings up... cool today compared to yesterday when we arrived.. was 79 F... beautiful... the winds are to die down later tonight.. park is nice but sites are close. Nice facilities.. yes and dog owners will love it... small fenced in area to let dogs off lead... yes..makes for happier dogs to be able to run a bit.. Water pressure here is 70 PSI if anyone is interested.. see everyone here.. we are the only vintage here .. 3 other newer ones...
WBCCI 10103
Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #219
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohillgrish View Post
Steve, Doug & Extiger,
You guys are my new favorite weather folks. Whatever it takes, I'm going to get my trailer dug out of the ice this weekend and get it ready for the trip to "the promised land" of great weather, great people and warm hearts.
Gayland,
I'm taking a serious look at the Hwy 281 alternative you suggest. At first glance, it looks like that route will add 80 miles or so to the trip. However, the drive you describe is my kind of country and sounds like it may well be worth the extra miles.
CJ,
Will PM you about more specifics on our travel plans.
Thanks to all.
Definitely take the 281 route if at all possible. Coming so far, what's another 80 miles?

It'll be worth it, I promise. I live in Austin and I love Austin, but the hassles of taking I35 through downtown Austin just aren't worth it, unless you plan to stop off and hang out for a couple of days.

But, if you DO decide to take I35 through Austin, stay on the upper deck (far right lanes) of I35 though downtown Austin and you'll be able to see the State Capitol building as well as the campus for The University of Texas as you drive through the city.

Safe travels, and I'll be looking for you all on Saturday when I come down.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #220
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Seminar schedule?

forget it
PetervB is offline   Reply With Quote