Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
Cool What is the reason for rally locations?

I have been lurking around the rally forum for a while now, and after reviewing about 6 months of schedules, I am afflicted with the urge to ask the following questions:

Why do so many rallies take place at fairly remote, somewhat frumpy, mundane RV parks? Is it cost, capacity, availability? Am I clueless about the point of a rally? Maybe they are held in such places because the rallying type of airstreamer is there more for the group than for the setting? Is it that ralliers are a breed apart from the boondockers? Do ralliers have bigger rigs that can only be housed by a KOA-equivalent? Or is it that people like me, who believe we prefer settings like surfside, forested, mountainous, and seemingly unspoiled locations, aren't rally-oriented? (Maybe I just don't get the whole rally concept... it is about as alien to me as wanting to join the WBCCI after reading all the muck on that forum.)

Honestly, I think I'd like to get to know some of you, but I haven't yet seen a rally location that I would want to go to.
longdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you don't like the location or setting of any rallies, hold one of your own, in a location you select. Post about it here on the forums. If anybody else likes the idea, date, and location, they will join you.
I am posting this from a rally about a mile from the Pacific Ocean, where everybody had a lot of fun, some went surfing, some visited local shops and museums, and some went for a stroll on the pier.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Rallies are held wherever the host chooses to have them. It's just a group of friends camping together. In the NW seems like we mostly hit state parks, or nice little private campgrounds. I've never been to a rally at a KOA. You do need to find a place with enough room for everyone you're expecting. Sometimes we have them in group camp areas where there might be a limitation on size, like the 'confined space' rally in the gorge last fall. Other rallies might be in big parks like Beverly Beach. There's usually plenty to do in the area to entertain yourself, and campfires and potlucks are pretty popular for evening time.

Feel free to invite folks to join you in some forested, mountainous, unspoiled location and I'll bet people will show up, and then you'll have a rally on your hands

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
:

Why do so many rallies take place at fairly remote, somewhat frumpy, mundane RV parks?

Why, who knows, but they sure are not mundane when 5 to 50 airstreams roll in. We know how to party, the food is good and so is the company. Everyone likes to visit each others coaches, and get advice or help on something in theirs.

We are at a rally now that 7 trailers showed up for, but you would have thought more were here. We even had one couple show up without their trailer as it's not completed yet.

I don't think it matters if you select a campground or a pasture, if people are interested in the rally, they will come. Decide on a theme, or reason and put the idea out there. Just remember to take into consideration the weather and if a/c will be needed. Boondocking is great if it's not 120 degrees in the desert. And some older trailers do not have holding tanks that permit boondocking. 2 good reasons for using "mundane" campgrounds

Marie
Old 05-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Join us for the 4th of July Rally at Vernonia, Ore. We're boondocking at a great little campgound next to a creek. Every Rally is different, be it a forum Rally or a wbcci rally. We enjoy them both, nothing like visiting people with the same interests and ,of course, all the great food.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:59 AM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I attend three to four rallies each year. The most "mundane" campground we have rallied at was a Georgia Power campground on Lake Harbin near Columbus, Georgia. That little gem of a campground was located right on the shores of the lake and several campsites had piers right on their sites. This was no KOA I assure you. While there were no sewer hook-ups, the setting was beautiful and the facility well maintained. The sites were large and spacious. The pavilion was remote and private with a spectacular view of the sunset over the lake. Can't say enough about this little jewel.

Other rallies we have attended were on the shores of Lake Chatuge in the North Georgia Mountains. Again, great little campground owned and operated by the Towns County Lions Club. It has free WI-FI, cable and full hook-ups at most of the sites. Many of the campsites are directly on the lake shore. The rest have fantastic lake views. We have also attended the annual "Can Opener Rally" at Topsail Hill Preserve in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. This state park once was a private camping resort and has all the amenities of a resort campground. They now have WI-FI, they have always had full hook-ups and cable. Access to beautiful, undeveloped snow white beaches and plenty of other state park type activities to fill your weekend. All the campsites are concrete patios and landscaping that give you plenty of a sense of privacy. See photo below.

It all just depends on the person who sets up the rally as to where the rally is held and what type of rally it is. We are not the boondocking type so those rallies wouldn't interest us, but there are plenty of rallies in our area that don't require boondocking or staying in some really rustic campground or pass-through campground like some of the commercial ones out there. If there aren't any in your area at campgrounds that appeal to you, organize a rally at one that does.

Start a rally and they will come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Can Opener 2006-01.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	79563  
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Longdog, Nice to see you have formed such strong opinions all based on what you read here. For this is the authority on rallies and the evil empire known as the WBCCI. I have to tell you the WBCCI sucks. Their rallies are lame, such as this one....

Name:	IMG_3154.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	79578Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3155.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	79579
There was no electric or water except for the older members that needed it. All the rest of us had to use our trailers systems to get by. Central New York in full autum glorry and a town of 3000? What was the rally host thinking?

Name:	IMG_3103.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	79573
Those pesky kids and adults went on hay rides...

Name:	IMG_3106.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	79574
guys stood around and talked about life, politics, their Airstreams, and how incredibly boring the rally was and how what a horrible setting it was....

Name:	IMG_3107.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	79575
Some guy helped fix eachothers trailers...

Name:	IMG_3168.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	79576
Some of the ladies sat around the campfire and talked and knit...

Name:	IMG_1167_resize.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	79581
Some guys polished a trailer just because they could...

You are so right about rallies. I strongly suggest you avoid them all.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Frank;

I'm glad to see you modified your post, shows how passionate you are about Airstreaming!!

And I'm also noting that The Marines were on location at the covered wagon rally.

Is that fellow pounding a screwdriver into the side of his drainpipe??

Location, location, location, bla bla bla, It's all about getting together and having a grand time.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Frank, the population of North Norwich (where that rally was hosted) is actuall closer to 300 than 3000. Why are the rallies located in out of the way places? Because that's where the beauty is! I suppose you could have a rally anywhere, so why not pick the most beautiful location. Besides, for many the journey to the rally is as important as the rally itself. These trailers were designed to be used without 3 point hookups. That allows you to camp or have a rally literally anywhere. A friend of mine is having a rally at his farm this summer, and there will be NO hookups. Of course, we will be one of the most beautiful areas of the Northeast, with a pond for fishing and a stream for exploring and woods to play in and wide open spaces for kite flying. Nights will be spent around the campfire, probably enjoying some adult beverages and telling lies.

My question is: Why would you want to have a rally in a less remote, more accessible location?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I need to apoligize for my post. I was exaggerating a bunch.... North Norwich has a population of about 158 in town and around 1800 in the rural areas. Sorry about stretching it out. But the truth is the club sucks and so does it's rallies.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdog View Post
I have been lurking around the rally forum for a while now, and after reviewing about 6 months of schedules, I am afflicted with the urge to ask the following questions:

Why do so many rallies take place at fairly remote, somewhat frumpy, mundane RV parks? Is it cost, capacity, availability? Am I clueless about the point of a rally? Maybe they are held in such places because the rallying type of airstreamer is there more for the group than for the setting? Is it that ralliers are a breed apart from the boondockers? Do ralliers have bigger rigs that can only be housed by a KOA-equivalent? Or is it that people like me, who believe we prefer settings like surfside, forested, mountainous, and seemingly unspoiled locations, aren't rally-oriented? (Maybe I just don't get the whole rally concept... it is about as alien to me as wanting to join the WBCCI after reading all the muck on that forum.)

Honestly, I think I'd like to get to know some of you, but I haven't yet seen a rally location that I would want to go to.

Surely you did not mean to take the tone that comes across in your post. I will assume not and make a few general points in response. First, as noted below, rally locations are a function of where someone decides to organize one. This may mean a central location is key, or it may be that a specific location is desired because of a feature. Second, the main point of a rally is fellowship, so everything else is secondary to that. Finally, there are, in fact, boondock rallies.

I, myself, pass on a lot of rallies based on location. I am a boondocker by nature and for the most part have no use RV parks, and less so as the price goes up. On the other hand, I have attended quite happily rallies at a state park, a national forest campground, and a national forest boondock rally. I guess you can add on two Padre Island events with other airstreamers, although they were not rallies per se.

If you don't see what you want in terms of rallies and want to take part in one, why not organize one. I think you will find that if you have a good idea there will be plenty of help. If not, please be respectful of the membership who do rally and refrain from sniping from the sidelines.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Looks like lots of comments are already posted that came to mind when I read your post. Not a bad question.... there have been some rallies I have seen posted and often the first thought that comes to my mind, is "why did they chose that place?" Here in the Northwest we have oodles of really great places to camp and visit so it often isn't more than what is available on the weekend/week we want!

Sometimes places are chosen because it is a new spot and we'd like to see what it is like, other times the places are chosen because of the number of campers that will likely join in the rally, sometimes it is the roads getting there... or how far from other Airstream campers in your area. Some campers really prefer to have electricity/water/sewer... some are easy if boondocking. Often that decision is based on how long you might be there!

The best rule, go somewhere you like to be, make sure others can camp nearby and not be spread out all over the place, and relax and have fun. It is really all about the friendship. Airstreamers are great people!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Rally locations are a lot like home locations, all are picked from different criteria to meet individuals' needs. We live in the Metro Detroit area and as much as we probably would all love to camp in rugged outdoor places of grandeur there are only so many hours in a working family's weekend and only so far that we can comfortably get from the denser urban population and still manage to have the time to relax and socialize with one another. It isn't "vacation" it's more like going out to meet for dinner with the AS and sleeping over.

But hey I would also love to camp and rally in dozens of other locations I have seen rallies held at. I too like to walk and hike and take pictures of the outdoors. But regardless whether it's a rally at a state park in Michigan or Ohio or a private family campground that lets us basically spread out and "take over" the place and offers us excellent facilities for gathering together and a friendly staff, or if we can manage to travel to a distant rally such as the Florida Can Opener and stay at a luxury RV Resort/turned State Park on the ocean, rallies are about getting together with other Airstreamers and making and reuniting with friends.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What is the reason for rally locations?

One thing that we, as Airstreamers, need to keep in mind is that not every Rally or Caravan is going to appeal to every Airstreamer and/or his/her family members. Over the past 14 years, I have attended Rallys and participated in Caravans of all types. I guess that I may be more easily satisfied than some as there have been almost no Airstream activities that I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed.

There are many things that go into planning Rallys and/or Caravans. Among the many considerations that must be made by the planner(s) are:
  • Target audience and those most likely to attend/participate.
    • What facilities will be must haves for the target audience?
    • To what extent are the planners willing to go in order to accommodate the broadest possible audience, and will enough volunteer help be available to adequately host the event?
  • Location selection.
    • What is to be highlighted by the activity – most Rallys and/or Caravans have a theme or are organized around a main activity?
    • What facilities (campgrounds or other alternate venues) are available near the main activity or that will accommodate the activity?
    • Will the owner/management of a desired facility accept reservations for large groups and be willing to work with the organizers?
    • Does the owner/management of the facility require any type of surety bond or proof of liability insurance for the group?
    • How much will the desired location charge for the Rally, and can a realistic budget be developed around that charge?
    • Will the necessary sanitary facilities be available at the site or nearby for a reasonable charge if not included in the Rally fees?
    • Will there be any special considerations regarding pets or children who may be attending the Rally (restrictions on numbers, sizes, etc.)?
    • Does the venue restrict the types of activities that may be planned – for instance, if the organizer(s) wanted to have demonstrations of polishing, riveting, etc., would this violate contractual provisions or regulations of the venue?
  • Date selection.
    • If planned around a festival or other local activity, the date of that event dictates the Rally run to a great extent.
    • The dates that the venue has available and is willing to commit to accommodating a group activity.
    • The dates that fit into the planner(s) available non-committed time.
    • The dates that accommodate the primary target audience.
    • The dates that coincide with either the high-season or low-season to accommodate a particular activity or to accommodate the Rally budget.

I also understand, now more than ever before, that aging impacts each individual differently. Today, unlike five or ten years ago, I must be very aware of the facilities available at a Rally and the places where a Caravan may be staying. During parts of the year when the humidity will be high where camp will be made, my asthma and allergies almost demand 30 AMP electric for my air conditioner if I expect to get any beneficial rest -- and while I could purchase generator(s) to run my air conditioner, I don’t particularly like having to listen to one and wouldn’t want to subject my neighbors to one that would have to run nearly constantly to keep my air conditioner going.

Something else that I realized as a result of assisting in the planning of both a Rally and a Caravan, the background preparations are far more involved than is evident in smoothly run rally or caravan. Quite honestly, I don’t think it would be possible to plan a Rally or Caravan that would satisfy every Airstreamer; but somewhere out there are several Rallys or Caravans that should appeal to each Airstreamer. I always remember a bit of advice that a long-time WBCCI member gave me at my first International Rally – “don’t pre-judge a Rally or Caravan just by location – remember that it is the people and the lifestyle that draw us together.”

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
No offense intended, sorry to disturb the hornet's nest.

Geez,

The sarcasm of some of the responses was pretty clear, and was enough of an answer in itself. Enough said, and I apologize for what my questions led to. I really didn't mean to "snipe." I think I understand where things stand with respect to some rallies and WBCCI. I respect your passion.

The sincere and helpful answers to the sincere questions I asked are much appreciated, and include the private responses I got. I think the bottom line is that not all rallies or all ralliers are cut from the same cloth.
longdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
When is a rally a rally? We are planning a get together at Pearrygin Lake, just outside of Winthrop, WA in June. There will be three Airstreams and two SOBs. We are all friends and have known each other for a few years. We plan on fishing, shopping, dining out and in and just hanging out. Very informal.

We are all retired so we will do this during the week to avoid weekend crowds.

I think that's all it takes to have a good time. Pick a spot you like, invite a few friends or some local Airstreamers you would like to meet and have at it.

By the way, if anyone would like to join us, the dates are June 22nd, 23rd and 24th at Silverline Resort. Drop by if you get a chance.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #17
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Geez,

The sarcasm of some of the responses was pretty clear, and was enough of an answer in itself. Enough said, and I apologize for what my questions led to. I really didn't mean to "snipe." I think I understand where things stand with respect to some rallies and WBCCI. I respect your passion.

The sincere and helpful answers to the sincere questions I asked are much appreciated, and include the private responses I got. I think the bottom line is that not all rallies or all ralliers are cut from the same cloth.
No real harm done and I tend to agree with you about stuffy venues, but myself have planned rallies at places I wouldn't ordinarily camp because venue location was appealing or convenient to others. The most important ingredient for a rally is other ralliers. I can camp anywhere - but if I want to do it with others, I am prepared to make some compromises to facilitate that goal.

One of the huge drivers here in the NW is rain. If you have a rally with any group meals you need a way to provide cover. This means either a campground that has fixed shelter or event planning must include a well organized effort to build a temporary one. A couple of years ago we had a rally on the OR coast with 70+ trailers in attendance - it poured for most of the weekend and we ended up with about a dozen canopies lashed together in a small tent city to offer some dry-ish space to congregate. Not a perfect situation, but we still managed to have a good time

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Geez,

Your last line says it all. Different rallies for different folks. Those if us who have attended various ones for years, tend to forget new owners may not understand what the hoopla is all about and why.

I tend to want to believe all the responses were sincere, but some may have thought your question was a "snipe". I think most were just trying to answer you inquiry. plan your rallly, you will have between 2 and 50 coaches there.

marie
Old 05-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Thats why we have a unit-owned tent, like you might rent for outdoor functions. Its at nearly every rally, and is always the central gathering point. Even if it doesn't rain, its nice to have shelter from the sun, too. Can't imagine NOT having it.

As for us, we've rallied at everything from private ocean front, to someone's backyard, to the KOA, state parks...boondocking to full hookups. Some places I'd never pick to camp on my own, but it really doesn't matter, because as others have already said, its more about the group.
And as far as that goes, I bought the trailer to get away from people; never thought it would become a social outlet. As it turned out, we almost never camp alone.
So check out a couple of rallies. You might like it. Then again, you might think it stinks, like Frank. (must really be tough on him, having to endure all those rallies, just to collect pics to post on the forums )
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
When is a rally a rally? We are planning a get together at Pearrygin Lake, just outside of Winthrop, WA
That's a nice Park, we might see you there.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote