Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Thanks for the encouragement, all!

Howdy all!

Thanks for the encouragement... hope we can hook up with all of you at some point! As we get further along we will look at the weather and that may help us decide on our departure date as well as route! Our initial thinking is to head a southerly route on the way to NY at least until we get to midwest to then head up to the Mothership... and return a northerly route as the temperature warms.

Any suggestions out there about the weather for May, June, July? The only times we have traveled in the midwest or east has been in the middle of summer... so not sure what we might expect. Hope to miss "tornado ally" activity or hailstorms and all that other stuff we don't get out here in California. We just have fire and brimstone here... [aka, earthquakes and forest fires]

Still looking for interesting places to camp past the rockies... Thanks for the link to the Virginia site looks nice! Other ideas out there?

Thanks for all the responses, love to hear your ideas!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:01 PM   #42
Certifiable

. , .
Thumbs up Pennwood is terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintoman
NorCal Bambi this sounds like a great idea. When You leave Jackson Center a great stop to make for the night that I recomend is http://www.pennwood .org .org This is approx. 250 from NYC. I can highly recomend this Airstream only park.
I can second that recommendation. The stopover is slightly less great now, however, ever since I tore up their beautifully manicured lawn on my maiden voyage last August when I neglected to raise the jack.

The people there couldn't have been nicer.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

sounds like fun... I could go half way from Maryland to Tenn... have a sister n law lives out that way...
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
I can second that recommendation. The stopover is slightly less great now, however, ever since I tore up their beautifully manicured lawn on my maiden voyage last August when I neglected to raise the jack.

The people there couldn't have been nicer.
To err is human. Speaking of which let me try the link again.http://www.pennwood.org
pintoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkyII
Did someone say something about taking Coors east of the Mississipi river?
The Coors beer plant is just about 2 blocks west of my office in Golden, CO...nice little campground right on Clear Creek right here in town. Clear Creek is where the water supposedly comes from to make Coors.

I would think the convoy would have to pass through Colorado one way or the other...don't know what your timing would be like, but all our rallies are posted on the DenCO/RMVAC websites...love to have you join us!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
punch pins

This is great the punch pins our going into our map. It looks like there might be a route falling into place. I'm working on a map I can post. Remember you can make posts on the Blog as well. Also Tim has made a spot for us on the VAP for this Thursday. Here are the web address again.
Bonded by Aluminum
theVAP - The Vintage Airstream Podcast - Home
Airstream at the MoMA - Dwell Blog - dwell.com

Lots of good ideas are comming in. I working at keeping up.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:55 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Keep 'em coming!

Thanks folks!

Nice suggestions for routes, rallies, places to visit! Keep the suggestions coming! We are creating a map with push pins and keeping track! We'd love more ideas!

If you think about it, you might also chirp in with the weather in your neck of the woods during May, June, July...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Map

Well here is whats beginning to present itself on the map. This is based on those who have added input to the site so far. This is just a beginning. So don't be afraid to offer new points just because they don't appear on the maps yet. Here is whats starting to present itself. Begin in Yreka California,
attend Cassini Ranch rally on the Russian River. Then head south, Maybe highway 50, across to Alburque, then follow the Santa Fe Trail up to Kansas City, next pickup the Lewis and Clark trail eastward. Then if you look at map 3 The suggested route swings southeast, next north by norteast up to NYC, Wilgus State Park Rendevous Rally, next swing southwest back to the Lewis & Clark Route and then basiclly follow it up into Washington, then finally back home to Yreka. Remember at this point this is just a general plan. Time, weather, the willingness of the gods and good fortune could change things. The purpose of the forum and the Blog will be to keep all informed of how things progress. This is going to be an adventure dictated by the journey and the experience. Schedules are not for the retired. Many of you may not be able to decide to participate untill you see us approaching. Maybe it will be a lot like the Lewis & Clark trek itself. Post, Post, Post. We have lots of push pins. This is meant to be living experience.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	west map.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	33867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Middle section.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	33868  

Click image for larger version

Name:	East side.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	33869  
Old 03-13-2007, 11:28 PM   #49
_

. , .
hi don...

that really is a push pin map, cool!

the planning is great fun.

i agree completely with an open travel timeline.

but is there a specific or general time you'd like to arrive at moma?

lets rally!

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Yea, sometime before they remove the trailer from the Museum. Midway would be in June
We have to be back in Yreka in Mid to late August.
Question, Did the rabbit's hat slip.
Don
Old 03-13-2007, 11:49 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Summertime and the living is easy!

Don, Don't forget the I-80 corridor! If you come anywhere near the Quad Cities remember we are the only place in the U.S. where the Mississippi River runs East and West instead of North and South! I live in Illinois just south of Rock Island (The Rock Island Lines R.R.) and to go to Iowa I have to head North! During the summer months we have lots to see and do here. Just to name a few... Bix Biederbeike Jazz Festival and Marathon, Sturgess-On-The-River Both in Davenport, Iowa. The Rock Island Arsenal is home to the U.S. Army Armament Command. It is located between Ia. and Il. in the middle of the Mississippi River. It was the site of Fort Armstrong in the 1830's and housed Confederate P.O.W.'s during the Civil War! There is a Confederate Graveyard located on the island that is decorated with Confederate flags over the 4th of July Holiday! It was also the site of the first Bridge to span the Mississippi River. I could go on but for now I'll let you decide if you want more information from the Heart of the Midwest! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
BIGED52, these ideas sound like more pins on the map, thanks. Before too long I will start detail maps of given areas with more detail. Your type of response is just what we need. Thanks again Don
Old 03-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
A couple of my distant relatives came to this continent between 1630 and 1640. They landed in Virginia. So yes I'd like to make it to that area and do some resurch. thanks Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
Don,
Not sure if your travels will take you close to Virginia, but we would love to have you visit our Airstream Park. ZoominC6 and I would love to show you around the area!!
Here is the link Highland Haven Airstream Park

Abe
Old 03-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
updates

The blog I've created for this trip has been updated. Check it for additional information. Bonded by Aluminum Don
Old 03-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
If you can make it through Arkansas you can experience the absolutely amazing natural beauty of the state. The north-western quarter is incredible with curving mountain drives and beautiful vistas. Plus, Lake Ouachita and Lake Catherine (near Hot Springs) are gorgeous and I have personally camped at each several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. Petit Jean State Park is another gorgeous place not far from Little Rock. (We live 25 miles south of Little Rock.) Just west of Little Rock is Pinnacle Mountain State Park, but I am not sure if they allow camping there. Little Rock has the Clinton Museum (if you are interested), the inital site of school desegregation in the south (Central High), the house that was used in the opening shots for Designing Women, the submarine U.S.S. Razorback, and lots of other attractions. Pine Bluff has the Railroad Museum and the National Band Museum and Sheridan has the Grant County Museum. Lots of neat stuff to see and do!

Hope to see you on your travels!

Susan & Brad

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Alumatube, Thanks for the information. Once again it looks like more pins in the Map. Speaking of maps any websites you can suggest.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
If you can make it through Arkansas you can experience the absolutely amazing natural beauty of the state. The north-western quarter is incredible with curving mountain drives and beautiful vistas. Plus, Lake Ouachita and Lake Catherine (near Hot Springs) are gorgeous and I have personally camped at each several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. Petit Jean State Park is another gorgeous place not far from Little Rock. (We live 25 miles south of Little Rock.) Just west of Little Rock is Pinnacle Mountain State Park, but I am not sure if they allow camping there. Little Rock has the Clinton Museum (if you are interested), the inital site of school desegregation in the south (Central High), the house that was used in the opening shots for Designing Women, the submarine U.S.S. Razorback, and lots of other attractions. Pine Bluff has the Railroad Museum and the National Band Museum and Sheridan has the Grant County Museum. Lots of neat stuff to see and do!

Hope to see you on your travels!

Susan & Brad
Old 03-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Welcome in NY too!

Don and Claudia,

Just posted comment on blog... we have Courtesy Parking here in Central NY. Looking forward to talking with you...

VAP On!

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Wow, vintage vehicles ,the museum and yours, plus a VAP fan. It dosen't get any better. I replied on the Blog as well.
Thanks Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Don and Claudia,

Just posted comment on blog... we have Courtesy Parking here in Central NY. Looking forward to talking with you...

VAP On!

Rob
Old 03-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
If you are headed to the International Rally in Perry GA also, there are some great parks outside Atlanta...right off the main Interstate also....Maybe I can jump in line if you are headed south after we wrap up a three week trip up and thru VA, NC, and who knows where.....I will check the blog....
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #60
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Am I missing something here, what month are we talking about?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote