Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
The NEXT big NorCal rally?

There has been a lot of interest in another rally now that we have all gotten home safely and recovered from all that food, those Margarita balls, the flying spuds, tarantulas, and all those wild turkeys and other Airstreamers.

Any suggestions as to when and where???

There was some talk about Joshua Tree but there are no hookups there which would put a damper on the lighted disco balls. Somewhere near the middle of the state seemed to work well for a lot of people.

The idea of picking a place with plenty of sites and having people register on their own also seemed to work well.

Thoughts?

Rally on,
Laurel
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Let's go somwhere warm.

Slab City?.

How about the least used State Park in California? It's East of Palmdale. 3 Miles North of Lake Los Angeles and Right next to Edwards Airforce base? I'll get the name.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
When I talked to Big Dee at the rally, he metioned something about the Casini Ranch on the North Coast at the mouth of the Russian River west of Santa Rosa, but I think he was looking at springtime. Maybe a desert rally in the winter would be good in the meantime.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
We really enjoyed Pismo Beach last fall, maybe something by Morro bay or Cambria?
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Desert? Winter Rally? Don't forget about the Four Corners Unit Rally.
February in Arizona, good times and new friends.....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
We really enjoyed Pismo Beach last fall, maybe something by Morro bay or Cambria?
Morro Bay State park
San Simeon State Beach (Near Hearst Castle)
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Many of the State parks have length limit sizes. There are several non- goverment parks in that area to look into.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Nor Cal?

I thought that 'Nor Cal' refered to Northern California. We did not make it to the recent rally because it was just a wee bit out of the distance we felt traveling at this time. That's not to say we would not have enjoyed going. So we said peraps we will go to the next one because more than likely it would be held in "Northern California". All the location suggestions so far are more 'So Cal' We thought of you all at Lake San Antonia as my wife and I were enjoying the Vintage Travel Trailer Rally in Coloma on the same weekend. 1/2 of the trailers represented there were Airstreams.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Well, I thought I wuld have heard by now "All right, Neil, why don't you suggest a No. Cal. location?! I am new to rallys so if I could get the 'requirements' for such a large gathering I would check around up here. Here being the Central Valley, Tahoe and points north into Redding and such.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 10-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Half Moon Bay in January

Jan and I are camping at Half Moon Bay State Park Martin Luther King weekend, January 12,13,14. Never stayed there before but it looks like a nice place right on the beach. No hookups but there's a dumpstation and large 55' back in sites. Check it out at googlearth. We made a reservation through reserveamerica.com. Any of you Airstreamers are welcome to join us then. You would have to make reservations on your own. Still lots of sites available. Could be cold and rainy or could be sunny and warm that time of year. But hey...who cares! I'll be in my Airstream!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HalfMoonBaySP.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	27452  
Old 10-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Well we could do a Northern California rally. AND a Southern California rally. And maybe somewhere central as well. We can just call them California rallies. There is always a debate as to where the south ends and the north starts anyway.

There are enough people on this forum that wherever we decide to go it will work well for some and not as well for others. But let's not let that get in the way and get some dates on our calendars.

I have a question about selecting campgrounds...do most people want/need hookups?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:37 PM   #12
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
whats the state park around tomales bay? just west of Petaluma on the coast?

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
we vote for the full hook-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper
...do most people want/need hookups?
We prefer full hook-ups since boondocking will require some repairs for us. But, having said that, we'd consider anything if it means we can rally again!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Hee-hee... I just have to say, Northern CA is definitely up here in Eureka. I'm from Santa Cruz originally... but I'd say anything north of San Fran qualifies... just playing... we have a good laugh up here about this subject !

Big Sur is AWESOME- never camped there. There are beach front sites at Sea Cliff beach in Aptos. Fort Bragg is really pretty too.

California is a HUGE state. My friend just left for a 16+ hour drive to San Diego. Santa Cruz definitely felt half-way, but that is just the coast !
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Another "Northern" Vote...

We are from Yreka... went to the "NorCal" Rally at Lake San Antonio... it was great ~ well worth the drive down. (Nearly 500 miles...each way) But, I vote for something in the central area... either coast, "middle" (Delta?) or Sierras.... as long as we don't need chains or snow gear. Get enough of that here! But, there are folks who come from San Diego and such.... so whatever the place, just let us know! California is a BIG state....

We are happy with or without hookups. A dump site nearby within a couple of miles is always nice as is potable water.... but we are tough old goats... we will be game! I vote for best weather!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:44 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari
Orcutt , California
Olema Ranch!

Somewhere to consider in the Nor Cal area: We stayed at a nice place last June in the town of Olema, CA. The RV park is called Olema Ranch and is about 5 miles from the town of Point Reyes Station, 20 minutes W from Fairfax and 40 minutes SW. of Petaluma. It is also about 20 minutes N. of Stinson Beach. Their full hook-up area surrounds a park area with an ampitheatre in the center, it is very sunny and open. They have another area that is very wooded with Red Woods. The wooded area does not have full hook-ups but has partial and they have a honey truck that comes around to empty tanks for a fee. There is a lot around to do. You can visit the Point Reyes Light House, which is awesome. Point Reyes Station is very nice little town to stroll through, and Stinson Beach is also very nice. Their website is www.olemaranch.com. We also stayed at an awesome KOA on the edge of Petaluma. This KOA is nicer than any other I have seen. It has a great Red Wood area to camp in and is close to town and easy access from the freeway. The only bummer for us is 6.5 hr drive from Santa Maria for both of these parks, but well worth it.

I really enjoyed meeting most of you at San Antonio, we were the awkward newbees so we didn't get around to meet all! This group is as great as I expected, well rounded with all ages of people! We look forward to future outings.

Jason
Pimprnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Next up

doorgunner - Sonoma Coast State Park is just north of Bodega Bay and has two camprounds. One is Bodega Dunes in the bluffs/dunes on the north end of the bay and the second in Wrights Beach which is a few miles further north right on the beacb. No hook ups at either but water and restrooms at Wrights Beach and water, restrooms, showers and dump station at Bodega Dunes.

BamCamper - I agree with you 100%. Who cares what we call it.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
[quote=sequoiacoast]Hee-hee... I just have to say, Northern CA is definitely up here in Eureka. I'm from Santa Cruz originally... but I'd say anything north of San Fran qualifies... just playing... we have a good laugh up here about this subject !
For some weird reason Fresno is the imaginary divide to north and southern California. All the places you mentioned way up north are great. We have camped there many times with 'the kids' in the '70s and '80s. Patricks Point is my wifes favorite. The Redwoods..Russian River and near Burney Falls is one of my favorites, Lassen. Say, who needs a Southern California?
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 10-25-2006, 08:45 AM   #19
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I've stayed at Olema Ranch and it's very nice. Not cheap as I recall but the grocery store offers Espresso and gifts... I'd be willing to drive to the "far north" for a rally (but then I'm easy...I'll drive anywhere ) It may be easier for all to pick someplace a LITTLE more south-ish. Is there anything around the Santa Cruz area? Or the Sierras? Sounds like a place with hookups would be best.

*waves to Northern friends CaddyGrn* It was nice chatting with you both and thanks Don for your help and tree climbing skills!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:19 AM   #20
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Bodega Dunes thats the one- thanks Timemachine, Oh BTW Bam I used the Barista daily at the Nor Cal Rally. You didn't get the word? I'm sorry owe you one. Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote