Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We will not be able to make the November rally date...but we are going up to Fool Hollow Lake tomorrow (18 Oct) for a week...we usually spend a week in the fall and a week in the spring there. One of our favortie AZ state parks... Sorry our schedules didn't mesh better... If anyone is in the neighborhood during the week we are there, come on by!

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #22
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Just got back from Woods Canyon Lake on the rim. It was cold and very windy. Woke up this morning to 28 degrees. Are you sure you want to make a run up there in a month? It could get very cold and white...

Winter time camping is best in the desert not the mountains...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Cold

We just returned from a week-long stay at Fool Hollow Lake State Park on Thursday the 25th...for the most part the days were OK...in the 60s unless it was windy then it was pretty darn cold...we had 1 night at 27 degrees and 2 nights at 29 degrees...and the rest were in the mid to low 30s. We were asked to disconnnect the water at night because of potential freezes. We did that, and at 10 AM the morning after that 27 degree night, the drip from the water supply was still frozen... pic below... The good news is that the fall colors were in full force...

I'm with Richard...it's gonna be real cold at Fool Hollow in November...which is OK if you're ready for it and like the cold!

I'll be posting a report on our travel thread, "AZBAMBI...On the Road Again" soon: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ain-36172.html, and I will also be adding this trip to our personal travel log website ASAP...

Take your Woolies!
TB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FoolHollow_0ct07_Camp_06_Sm.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	48164  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 10-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Good reports guys. I will have to give this some hard thought, but we were looking forward to some great cold and crisp fall weather. I am thinking some electric heat strips may be the way to go. Let me ponder this.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini
Last year around 15th of Oct. we got snowed on in Pinetop-Lakeside on our way to Benny Creek cg at Greer.Spent two night in the snow and moved to Ponderosa cg on 260 east of Payson to get down lower and warmer.
We would like to join you if I can make your date.
we are always to have any of you from down south visit a 4CU Rally and see if you like our camping style.NO pomp,NO meetings,JUST fun and . If you like the unit then you can join .Our next near you will be New Years at Picacho Peak state park .Please see posting about it under WBCII Rally on the forum.
Hope to meet you al soon

Snow on 15 Oct. It is 88 outside right now. I think we will be OK, but TBRICH had his H2O iced up pretty good, that is good for a thought pause. We will definitely hook up with the 4CU guys soon. AZFLYCASTER has thrown out the invite and we will take him up on it. We just have the one day off on 11/12 and driving all the way to central NM is just not a trip we want to make on this particular occasion. We have been baking down here all summer and are oh so ready for some cold weather. In fact, if we got freezing rain I would consider it a very successful weekend.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Weather is looking very good! Less than two weeks away and looking forward to a great time.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson
Weather is looking very good! Less than two weeks away and looking forward to a great time.
elolson...you should be fine...even though the weather was chilly when we were at Fool Hollow 18-25 Oct, it was pleasant enought and it should be fine for you next week...Hope you have a great time!

I've finally updated our travel log (see link below) to include our Fool Hollow trip if you want all the details. I also posted a few pictures on the our travel thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ain-36172.html beginning with post #28...

Travel well!
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 11-07-2007, 06:31 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Nice pics. I see the salt river canyon was one of your stops, always a great backdrop for good photos. With this endless summer we have been having it will be great. I did notice that the forcast has it dropping this weekend so that may be the end of it. But I am soooo looking forward to some cool air. I am going to bring two sets of heat strips for the water and the sewer to keep the lines open without a disconnect just in case.

Just a few days away, surely it won't stay a rally of one? Such great fall weather to be enjoyed.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Outstanding weather, plenty of spots. Great views. went biking, played some tennis, did some fishing. All in all, everthing we could have hoped for in a nice weekend getaway.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Glad you had a good time! It's a great place to visit...

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 11-13-2007, 11:21 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Fools Hollow

Marge and I just spent four days at Fools Hollow (10-30 to 11-3) and were very impressed. The park is clean and well maintained, with a friendly and helpful staff. We hit a good spot of weather, no precip and mid sixties during the day and mid thirties at night.

They did say that it is very full in the summer.

Harry W
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
My rally turned into a rally of one, but I did call the staff and for a large organized group, with lots of advance notice, there was some flexibility on taking reservations; something they normally do not do. This might be something to consider for the summer when they are booked.

One of the host volunteers said that this past summer on TV spot aired on the park and ever since it was the busiest summer they had and even the fall was above average usage.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We're planning to head up to Fool Hollow for our annual spring trek around 26 March and stay into the first week of April...to take advantage of the park's special winter rates...which end 31 March... Weather will still be on the edge of winter, but its a great time to be there...quiet, brisk and beautiful.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI