Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #1881
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Sharon, thats kind of random, but thanks for thinking of me! Were you off you meds or something LOL
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #1882
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Naaa I think I had taken some clarity drugs that day...along the lines that everything is water related out East - food from the sea, boats that go get it, sea that is all around on the two Islands we spent time on - and with you being such a force on the front - bumper boats was just a natural thought progression.

I think to that I was thinking about how I could manage to get to the Mak City rally and you came to mind right away.

Anyway it was just a thought I had and saw your smiling face in the little boats having a great time smashing and bumping - life is too short not to have abstract thoughts.....they get you through the day sometimes
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #1883
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Hi everyone!

I've been trying to catch up here but clearly have missed some things. Sorry about your dog Carol - always gut a wrenching thing when a pet is ill or injured. Hope the recovery goes well. Sharon, it sounds like you & Peter had a wonderful trip. So sorry to hear about your mum. Do keep me posted, time permiting.

We've been pressed into action here. Mary & Mike sold their house, taken an apt. and will be breaking ground for their new home soon. Ike & I were coming down state to take his mother to a Dr. appt. on Sat., Aug. 23 and have been here ever since helping to pack, stuff self storage, clean the apt, and move in. Just dining rm. and 1 bd. rm. of furniture remain along w/washer & dryer for storage plus a few odds & ends to deal with. We missed the last hurrah of the season at the lake - and I hear the best weather of the season. Figures, eh? But as they say (who ARE they any way?) , "Ya do what ya gotta do" and my favorite, "Paybacks are hell!" We hope to go back home tomorrow.

We Rivettes seem to be having mom issues. Sharon, and Steph - how is Dave's mom? You're not alone as Ike's mom is having health issues. Some of you know we had a bit of a scare several wks. ago and now a second biopsy has been done. Her blockage of the common duct (where the liver bile duct and pancreatic duct meet and flow into the duodenum for digestion) is a cancerous tumor after all. We are going to take her to U of M in Ann Arbor next Tues. for an endoscopic ultrasound to see if it has spread into the duct or elswhere. Dr. appts. are now 1 each wk. for the next 3 wks. She is a two time cancer survivor already - go Ruth!!

Better get some things done so it appears I've been busy today - when daughter Mary gets home from work!!

Sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #1884
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hey Suz!!! Sorry to hear that about Ike's mom. You've had a lot going on between parents and children. Glad to hear from you. Hoping for an early spring at Lake George for you two and the and time to enjoy it.

Where has the summer gone? Waay too fast. But we are still planning on going to Mackinac for Laura's early autumn rally. It aint over yet. We'll be fighting the end of the season every day at a time. Come on over and make up for time lost.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #1885
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
O.K. if I join in?

Hi all,

I'm single and about to retire and will be picking up my first trailer in a week or so - a 28' 2007 Safari SE. As soon as I can sell off three generations worth of stuff (from a long line of collectors and pack rats, and my house which is gonna take a while) I'm going full timing with my dog, a black lab, named Jasper Joy.

It's a big deal for me and I'm sure I can pull it off - but once I learn to back the trailer up - LOL I should be fine. Have enjoyed the posts on this thread and hope you'll have me as part of the group.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #1886
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
But of course. Welcome Louisa! Love your lab's name. We share even a middle name. lol Good sign.

We definitely have to downsize and like you we have accumulated more than we can handle from every where and every one. You will have to share your experiences.

Congratulations on your new Airstream. We love pictures too, hint hint.

We got some back up wizards here. My experience varies, from surprise I did it to drat its not going well at all.

photography
Old 09-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #1887
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the welcome. Will try to do pictures as soon as I get my A/S. Right now I'm waiting for tow mirrors and a brake controller to arrive and learn how to install them and then will schedule delivery based on the weather. The dealer is in Vermont - 4 hours away (without towing a trailer) and there are lots of steep grades. I'm picking her up alone (Jasper doesn't drive and doesn't help much - except with love) so it's gonna be an adventure. I make handmade books so am going to make a log for my adventures - I have some really neat aluminium type mylar to use for a cover for the book and will post a picture of it as well.

She's a Safari 28 with a sofa (goucho?), dinette and queen bed fore and aft - I really like the layout and am eager to start stowing my gear aboard.

Have enjoyed your posts on other threads - thanks for the welcome.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #1888
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I look forward to seeing those books that you make. That's a super idea to have a special log for trips. I squibble down my data on plain paper and intend to enter thoughts and facts in a nicer format later.

Take it slow, and don't let anyone rush you up or down. I think some of those places can also be narrow as well as hilly? It does sound like a beautiful first trip. You tow it girl! We'll be cheering.

photography
Old 09-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #1889
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Welcome Louisa!! Always room for another Silver Sister!! (and best friend Jasper Joy) I'm a huge fan of airforums.com and assure you many things, or situations, can be solved, fixed, avoided or made better here. All you need to do is ask.

It'll be getting cooler soon and we'll be bringing out the Hot Cocoa, Bailey's & coffee and Smores........... and maybe a little wine too. If we can't get together in person we do so virtually.

So again, welcome,

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #1890
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile I'm holding my breath til Jamie posts again hmm

Jamie quick post I'm running out of reserves its breaking up on me!!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #1891
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Welcome Louisa and Jasper Joy. There are a lot of us rivettes that tow (and back up) all the time. Once you get your new Airstream, set up some orange cones in a parking lot and practice. Of course, there is always the "find a way to do it once you need to" way also. Just remember, we are here to help and enjoy your experiences!

I remember having to take care of mom at one time and I know it can be a trying and exhausting time. I lost her 11 years ago in August and I miss her every day. In fact, she is the one that got me interested in Airstreams. I am now on my 4th one (just purchased it last week), and remember her fondly every time I look at them. That is just one way I feel I stay connected to her.

Been busy here getting school started, but will be back on the road soon. Hope to see everyone at a rally, or at least, around a campfire. Happy trails!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #1892
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Sue wow I am so sorry to hear the bad news on the results for your Mom. My prayers are with you and your family. Your mom sounds like a strong lady and hopefully they have found it early.

Mom is waiting on the nuerologist.... not sure what the options will be to alleviate the pain but one would be nerve blocks which will hinder with her total mobility. She had a therapy session yesterday that got her out of bed and standing and she cried in agony.... We will hopefully know more by the end of the week. And Hope that Mom can come home. I will take the ModPod over to stay at Mom and Dad's for a while to help them out and to keep Mom's spirits up. The girls will be with me and Peter can come over too - it is not far for him to get to work from there.

The Silver Sister well wishing vibes are close to my heart to give me the strength we all have inside of us to do what we must for our families. As I receive I shall send as many and more back out to all who are in trying times of the heart.

A Big Grand Welcome to you Louisa...you must be busting at the rivets waiting for your new Safari - what a knock out you will be going down the road. Pictures Pictures Pictures we want pictures like yesterday girl!

Oh and the back up thing - least of your worries. The more important items are the colours, bedding accessories and stocking up with what you will need. Like the various Happy hour accessories, wine glass margarita glass, sherry or port glass, glass for shandy, glass for your stiff drinks (that is after you back up into a tight spot - with great success every time).

Then there is the toss cushions - ones that match, ones that you lean on read against drink against entertain against, ones you fall asleep on, some that you need to use as a back rest others you need to use to keep things from moving around as you travel and then several others just for show does anyone get this vision of opening the door and all these colourful pillows come spewing out of the trailer....

Yes Carol I ask the same thing - where oh where has the summer gone!!! - Did we actually have one???? From what I can remember - I spent almost 2 of it in bed then a month dreaming about a trailer being ready to use then a good 3 weeks of slinking around securing the ModPod Anniversary Surprise. And now 3 weeks that just flew by on a great Holiday out East.

I sure hope I can make the Mack Rally is there a limit to the number of times you can go in and out of a Country???
Old 09-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #1893
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Sorry Suz about your mother in law. She's blessed to have you as her daughter in law that's for sure.

I hope my future daughter in law is as nice to me!

Sharon, you are a closet Michigander I knew it Between Michigan and Ohio, you just can't decide...

Shall we get you a green card
Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #1894
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hey Steph; How was your holiday??? did you have a great time - was the weather good for you. did you get any kayaking in? Okay how about any backwards kayaking in... - pictures love to see some...Does the Card have to be green - I want primary colours all mixed together and I like his picture for my disguise...Can't think of two Better States can you?

Oh I forgot Louisa - does your Jasper Joy look anything like our Taz.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3182.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	66841
These are my two charges that would travel with me Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3180.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	66842
....if I could just stomach the poop and stoop/scoop thing....thus far I have had the Hubster along so I have been saved by the bell... I even mark it and send him on a mission so that I will not have to pick it up if an accident happened while out with no bags... Perhaps the sewer gloves would help me out a bit....

That was taken our first night just stopped and popped the girls into the trailer within 2 minutes they thought they had found the perfect spot even before the dog cover made it on the bed!!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #1895
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
He does

Hi Sharon,

Yes they could be from the same litter - except that Jasper doesn't have the gray on his muzzle (I'm the one with the gray!) I often call him Jazz - they should meet - Taz and Jazz - sounds like a Sunday afternoon event..

Do you know the trick of taking a plastic bag and putting it over your hand and then picking up the poop and pulling the bag off your hand with the stuff inside? - works great - also breathe through your mouth and you won't smell it!

Great news - my dealer called today and my A/S is ready - new micro/convection installed in place of propane and the taillights have been replaced - they were very corroded and I asked to have that dealt with- it's a new trailer - no problem - great dealer- I'll get her either the end of next week or the beginning of the following. If UPS tells the truth my towing mirrors will be here tomorrow and the brake controller on Tuesday and I'll be good to go. Anybody want to go with me to bring her home?

I'm thinking about naming her the Silver Schooner - what do you all think?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #1896
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Taz and Jazz , Jazz and Taz - that is too funny. Me too on the grey actually "silver" but I do the denial thing and shower in the fountain of Youth every 6 weeks

Taz will be 10 this October. You would think she is a puppy still if not for the silver wiskers....Now Haily who has a look sometimes of a very old doggy is only 6 this December. I hate to think in terms of time with our furbabies. I just think we are so blessed with their devoted love day in and day out.

That is great news you must be really really excited - hey as we get into our prime it is difficult enough to sleep - I bet you must be staying up now 24/7 dreaming of all the places you will be going and touring and the fun and people you will meet in your Airstream.

If I did not just come back from our Holiday I would jump in right off and put my hand up for consideration for a travel companion. NewHamshire and Vermont are breath taking states.

You will do just fine. Just a suggestion... if you have a couple of extra days and not in any hurray to be somewhere - why don't you hang out at the dealer for a night or even two. I am sure there would be a Walmart near by - you could go off on a short solo trip do some practice with some pilons - backing and turning around them just to get the hang of the length of your rig and then head back to the dealer for an overnight. You could see how everything is working and if you had questions or issues you could take care of it the next day. Only need an extention cord and a dog bone a bit of fresh water in your tank and you are set.

Where abouts do you pick her up?
Old 09-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #1897
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Thanks for the suggestion - I am planning to stay at the dealer's a night or two. But I hadn't thought about driving her around in that area - good idea! It's in So. Burlington, VT - about 200 miles - gorgeous country along I-89 - and it's unlikely that I can go back there again before spring - so want to make sure everything works before I take off. I'm not concerned about pulling the trailer - just have to get used to it - but my driveway is narrow and there's a humongous tree on one side and a telephone pole on the other about 15' apart - so backing her in there is going to have to be very precise and I hope there won't be a lot of cars parked on the street as it's not very wide. I figure if I can get her in there I can park her anywhere. I'll just have to take my time and tie up the street and will probably provide a lot of entertainment for the neighborhood - LOL.

I haven't had any trouble sleeping - I rarely do - but I am excited and can't wait to get on the road and meet people who like to travel as much as I do.

Jazz is five - going on two! I keep waiting for him to settle down and he has somewhat - but he's a little hyper for a Lab and like all labs he's stubborn and sometimes will listen to me if he wants to. He'll sit and look at me and I can tell he's thinking - should I do what I'm told although I don't want to - decisions, decisions. LOL
Old 09-05-2008, 07:05 AM   #1898
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Louisa..sounds like you are all set to go..

"about" 15 feet apart! so that leaves you 3.5 feet on either side of you.....

Wow that is a mile you are laughing girl.....

Couple of reminders.

You own the road

Do not worry about the other people (except of course in defensive driving situations) I mean like tailgaters - don't speed up to accommodate others, or move over on merge lanes if you are not comfortable - you follow the rules of the road.....They merge - too many times the middle lane does not give way either to let you move over as a courtesy to the on rampers - but the law is the "onrampers" WAIT - but they think they don't have to..... My Hubby has a big issue with this and gets all worked up about it

Changing lanes - with a longer load just give your self more time - indicate well ahead - ( it sounds like you may have towing experience yes??)? if so then all this is just a refresher and certainly not meant to tell you what to do...

When you get to your drive - I find the key issue that people get themselves into difficulty is that they do not take the room they need to maneuver both the tow vehicle and the trailer. If you do not pull forward far enough then the TV has to make a sharper turn - sharper turns mean more depth space of the lane. My vehicle is 18'f long most lanes are 22' - so this lack of space gets your tow vehicle into branches and other obstacles. It also puts the TV on more severe angles making it difficult for you to use your mirrors to see both sides of the trailer.....

So your objective is to move the whole rig on as least a curve as you can - go very slowly - another big point - the faster you go the more difficult it is....I like to keep my package between 45 and 65 degree angle if I can - even if to accomplish that I pull forward and edge back several times to do that.

Pulling forward is not an indication that you have not hit your mark and do not let anyone tell you that. It is an indication that you want to obtain a better angle of your TV and Trailer in order to park it where you want it to best sit without hitting anything along the way.

Cars parked on the street will certainly give you lots to look at while doing your back in. But just means you will evaluate the situation different to that if it were free of parked cars.

Leave your vehicle at ANY time and check your situation. Do NOT rely on anyone else to tell you "just a little more" "over to your left" or 'your right", "keep coming" yadayadayada - you would be surprised how many people get their lefts and their rights mixed up once they leave the wheel

I have made it a point to not listen "period" save one command - "stop" - if I hear that then I am close to something in someones mind.

I like to stop my vehicle and get out - if someone wants to help me I will ask them okay - where do you want me? Then I politely ask okay you just tell me if I am going to hit anything and each attempt (sometimes first go yeah) (other times 100 goes - yeah) cause either way the end result is where I want to be - so who cares if I do it in 1 go or a 100 goes.

Getting bent out of shape is a guys trait so why should we do what they do...tis an ego thing for some I believe. Others just get frustrated cause they have come to the realization that they are not perfect

For Peter and I it might be a "competition" issue I win I win I win - even when I loose I win - could be an ego thing Seriously we both help each other a lot - it all depends on the mood and how tired we are at the end of our travels....

On our vacation we figured out why people like to get in during daylight hours.... but it did not stop us from getting in in the dark several times....

And there lies our lesson for today.....have fun take your time - the confidence you have is already within you - you just have to let it shine through...listen to others but do not let them tell you what to do. It is your rig and you will put it where you want to.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:26 AM   #1899
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Just want to send all those Moms out there a big hug cause they deserve it - troopers they are indeed.

Well the line up of doctors have done their rounds with my Mum! - and it is somewhat discouraging to say the least....Each of them say it is not their field - in other words the diabetes people say it is not related and the nuerological people say it is not related - and the pain management people can not pinpoint anything either. But they all continue to prescribe and unprescribe - one puts her on something the next takes her off and puts on her something else - it is like a cat and mouse game...

Some times with all the medical marvel it seems we humans are no further ahead in our education of the human anatomy. And we all place such trust in our doctors in that they know what they are doing 100% of the time....

lambs to the slaughter I say. Trust no one and question everthing - if you don't you could be the next statistic.

My mom came very close to stroking out because of what doctors were prescribing put her into an overdose crisis. That landed her in the hospital. The pain medication being prescribed is for this excruciating pain in both her legs that started about 3 months ago....they cannot find the answer why.

Now they have given up and are using her as a guinea pig on pain meds to see which ones will keep her comfortable without overdosing her....It is a nightmare and I feel helpless!!! Talk about playing Russian roulette with my Mum!

Her mobility has dropped 100% and has resulted in becoming bed ridden within several weeks. She is having to have a physio therapist come in to work with her but that means sessions of excruciating pain - depressing!

She is on Dialysis - her kidneys failed due to 5 years of Breast Cancer Preventative Toxic medications. Breast cancer survivor yes but the ferry man is charging way too much!

She is too young to be facing all this - after a life of devotion to helping other people - life has stolen her retirement completely.

Get your ducks in a row people and live life when you can - DO NOT WAIT!!!!

I guess I am in the care giver angry stage, and worried to death about what is to come. There is a lot of support out there - but I draw most from my silver sister friends.....

Thanks for being here for my morning vent.....

Running to Tim's any one for coffee and Tim Bits?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #1900
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Kathy! Congratulations on your 4th Airstream! Pictures we want to see. Hope to meet up again, perhaps the next can opener or somewhere in between someday. You're mom was a cool mom to get you into Airstreaming. How nice to feel that connection when you are out there streaming. My parents didn't camp but my mom took me on lots of road trips. She enjoyed driving and seeing what's around the bend. If we missed a stop we'd find another. Followed the signs. It was mostly impromptu. Onward never backward she would tell me.

Sharon, glad you mum will be home from the hospital soon. Good advice you gave to keep active in the oversight of care and ask questions and keep involved with the providers of treatment. Lou and Suz and Steph and you have done so much of that for parents too. Good daughters make a good difference.

Louisa, wouldn't it be fun to go fetch your Airstream and get it back with other Rivettes, almost like a mini Rivette Rush or rally. I think we'd all like to go if we only could.

Nice pictures Sharon. Yes, I'll have some coffee and some timbits, thanks. Those are my favorites. Hey you took the one I had my eye on!

Steph, how about an online kayak lesson?

photography