Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #1681
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Michelle - that is such a big bummer you are grounded!

But as we all have life thrown at us from time to time...you have found the best way to get through a tough patch - what a great attitude GIRL!

What with Paula and her big red truck and now you with your shinny red new wheels and check out that silver helmet - I bet at your next rally you will just decide to leave that on all day .

I have my motorcycle training book packed for the holiday - I am signing up when I get back for the first course I can get into. I figured there was no sense just going for my LSM when you are almost all the way to a full motorcycle license - so my motto go big or go home tee hee...

Congrates - and you be real careful now and really watch out for the other guy...

It will be a pleasure to ride with you one day Michelle

Biker Chic - too funny - where is Suz when you need her - I will let you tell that joke tee hee it would be great to post here and let everyone have a go at their new names tee hee
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #1682
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963
Michelle - that is such a big bummer you are grounded!

But as we all have life thrown at us from time to time...you have found the best way to get through a tough patch - what a great attitude GIRL!
Thanks I am trying.
Quote:
What with Paula and her big red truck and now you with your shinny red new wheels and check out that silver helmet - I bet at your next rally you will just decide to leave that on all day .
I have ridden with Paula in her big red truck and it commands respect.
Quote:
I have my motorcycle training book packed for the holiday - I am signing up when I get back for the first course I can get into. I figured there was no sense just going for my LSM when you are almost all the way to a full motorcycle license - so my motto go big or go home tee hee...
Down here in Montana the classes fill up fast. I got into the first one of the year because someone else cancelled. I had to ask to be put on the stand by list. My original date was Mid June. My lawyer was realy jealous. He is signed up for later this month.
Quote:
Congrates - and you be real careful now and really watch out for the other guy...

It will be a pleasure to ride with you one day Michelle

Biker Chic - too funny - where is Suz when you need her - I will let you tell that joke tee hee it would be great to post here and let everyone have a go at their new names tee hee
It owuld be cool if us "gals" showed up in with our trailer and our rides in the backs of the trucks. that would really get them others wondering.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #1683
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
We'll bring Buddies

Here are my biker babes. Look out! 125cc Genuine Buddy scooters -- my partner's is pink!
We'll load them on the truck, 2002 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison 6.6
Woo-hoo!
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Ok so it is not an Airstream but it travels with it.
They took my airplanes away from me but that can't keep me from flying low!

I think we need a Silver Sisters biker chicks Rally!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buddy Babes.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	58355  
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #1684
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:

It owuld be cool if us "gals" showed up in with our trailer and our rides in the backs of the trucks. that would really get them others wondering.
Yes that would be great - means I would have to do some serious shopping for a new truck too then tee hee...

Taking one step at a time - I want the license first. Then I will search for the perfect ride - tour around then when I am fancy and free get my road rig set up to travel with TV/AS & the Harley!!!!

Hey Girl what is she packing for power that Red smoothy you have there..

Hey Anne you are just a hop skip and a jump from the We Can Tow It Womans Rally - why don't you come on down and join us - we would love to meet you...
Old 04-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #1685
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

You biker chicks are making me jealous, think I can keep up with my folder? IndyAnne great picture. Looks like so much fun. There's a class here too. Hey that reminds me of when I took piano lessons and practiced on the cardboard keyboard. What were the parents thinking? LOL However you'd be hard put to catch a mistake.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #1686
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
You biker chicks are making me jealous, think I can keep up with my folder? ...............
Hey Carol Perhaps this one would be right up your alley....keeps the elements off

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10811...p_Scooter.html
Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #1687
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
HA, thats too funny!!!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #1688
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Now that scooter is perfect for me Sharon. I give you permission to shop for me any time!

But storage and space being a problem with a Suburban I am seriously thinking of even more compact travel options. Such as these. I kinda dig that helmet, I wouldn't have to touch up my makeup on the road.

(that's just a little squirt gun filled with margarita so I can refresh you gals if you are looking parched down there)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDVD_232.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	58404   Click image for larger version

Name:	HU002520.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	58405  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #1689
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Yes that would be great - means I would have to do some serious shopping for a new truck too then tee hee...

Taking one step at a time - I want the license first. Then I will search for the perfect ride - tour around then when I am fancy and free get my road rig set up to travel with TV/AS & the Harley!!!!

Hey Girl what is she packing for power that Red smoothy you have there..
Ruby has a 1200cc Boxter engine. 110hp
Quote:
Hey Anne you are just a hop skip and a jump from the We Can Tow It Womans Rally - why don't you come on down and join us - we would love to meet you...
Speaking of jump. Ok here is an idea. We have a rally near a Drop Zone (parachuting). Bring our bikes and ride them to the Airport!

Anyone? Anyone?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #1690
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Ruby has a 1200cc Boxter engine. 110hp

Speaking of jump. Ok her is an idea. We have a rally near a Drop Zone (parachuting). Bring our bikes and ride them to the Airport!

Anyone? Anyone?
Oh my I am distorted all in pain just thinking about that idea...Now I would do the jump and it would be the most exhilerating feeling I am sure - but it is the LANDING that worries me.. two friends of mine broke their ankle and one broke their leg on a jump their first and last tee hee.....with my terrible sports injuries on the one leg I do not know if I would be able to - unless they had a big like state wide crash matt for me to land on...

But I like Carol's fancy back pack, helmet and martini gun a little better tee hee....

Might stick with the ground for a bit - as I have a problem with steps being in inch high these days

I'll watch, take pictures and push you all out the plane - kind of like that idea better - give you all the confidence that you need to JUMP!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #1691
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
Sweet bike Michelle!

Quote:
Ok here is an idea. We have a rally near a Drop Zone (parachuting). Bring our bikes and ride them to the Airport!

Anyone? Anyone?
ME! ME! If my moped would count as a bike...?

Welcome Julianne! You are living the life! That is exactly what I want to do someday soon. Maybe we will cross paths.

Last week I was down at my contractor's, going over the Airstream. I just keep telling myself, it gets worse before it gets better.. she is all torn to pieces! We are working on new grey and black tanks and fitting them in with the new pieces of frame in the back. Lots of measurements. My head's spinning; I'm glad someone else knows what they're doing

Why I am Bunking with Laura

The Good

The Bad

And The Ugly (this is that missing crossmember in the vicinity of the above pic and most of the black tank box)

Is it bad form to make a thread on a rebuild when you're not the one doing it? I don't wanna over-spam you guys here with rust and holes that will give you nightmares.
BrockLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #1692
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Aww poor Airstream, its okay Brock, it will be okay LOL, you will love bunking with me, the caravel is a lot of fun!!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #1693
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Love that photo Michelle!

Keep that fighting spirit sister!! You are an inspiration!! A heroine!!
Proud to be your friend!!
Old 05-17-2008, 03:42 AM   #1694
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Greetings Ladies,
Carol lead me to this thread. I was a bit bummed I just missed the womens' rally and now I don't have to feel sooooo bad

I'm in the Airstream dreaming stage right now. That and the AS convincing for the DH.

We live a bit west of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Our twin sons are Juniors in high school. Currently we camp in a Starcraft pop-up with A/C and slide outs. It is about 18' closed up for towing. DH doesn't want to tow anything 'massive'. We are thinking of an Airstream between 19 and 25'.

Looking forward on catching up on the 100+ pages of posts.

Teresa
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:54 AM   #1695
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
hi!

Sorry that you missed our rally! Glad you found us though. We hope that you will bring you pop-up to one of the rallies this summer. You can join us anytime. We are NOT the snobby bunch that some folks portray us to be just cuz we have Airstreams. You will find lots of good choices for something to tow. Larry and I have a vintage Argosy Minuet that is only 3500# and is a dream to tow. There are some great old trailers out there...with a little elbow grease and hard work they become "new" little treasures.
This weekend we are fortunate enough to be having a little mini driveway rally. Big Al and Jean are here from Canada so that Jean can run in the Cleveland Marathon! Camping in our driveway. We sure enjoy the company. Maybe you can join us Ohioans some weekend too.
Lou...SW of Cleveland in little ol' LaGrange!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #1696
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Rivet Go for it, Teresa!

Hi Teresa and welcome!!!

We recently purchased a 25' AS and I have towed, hooked up and unhooked, camped AND backed it up my long, windy driveway all by myself!!! Of course, it was all thanks to the helpful hints and encouragement that I received here on the forum and at my first rally with the the New England Unit of the WBCCI

The AS was my dream for as long as I can remember, but I had only been in one, years ago, and that one was waiting for a major rehab (I still thought it was the coolest thing ever!). I had been looking at AS floorplans online, dreaming, and at DH's request had gone and looked at a couple of SOBs, but I was unimpressed with the ones I looked at. DH just wanted to camp comfortably, he didn't care about brand.

I found out there is an AS dealer with a huge inventory about 5 hours from us, so asked DH to swing by there on the way to somewhere else, JUST to LOOK and see what the floorplans and space is like, and we ended up buying one on the spot!!! I was and still am quite surprised by this, as we do not tend to be impulsive with large purchases, and we did not own a TV yet either, so this was a major financial commitment for us. We are thrilled, for the most part. A major decider for my DH is that the AS will be useful for a very long time, which did not seem to be the case with the few SOBs I looked at (no, I did not see every brand and am not slamming any one in particular, this is just my impression of what I saw).

Though we like the 25'FB a lot, I kinda wish we had gone for the 27'FB. I like the orientation of the queen bed better and the extra 2 feet of storage space would be super! But really there is plenty of room for us and our teen son in the 25'. The FB (front bedroom) layout has the sofa running right down into the dinette, and I chose this because my son is about 5'10" and will likely be at least 6' like his dad, and when he sleeps on the sofabed his feet extend onto the dinette cushion. He finds it very comfy Once the kiddo heads off to his life without us in a few years, we will find the 25' to be very adequate for part time use.

My dream is to someday fulltime, at least for a year or two, though I could do it indefinitely. In a couple of years I will begin looking for an older unit that we can have made over to suit us completely, probably a 34', and we like Danish Modern/Scandinavian style. At this point it is not DH's dream, however, so we'll see!

Oh! I have never towed anything before this AS, but it tows like a dream!!! Amazing, really! It helps that I bought a 3/4 ton truck (a 1/2 ton would have done fine for this unit, but remember the fulltime dream?), but the AS is designed to tow easily. You will be amazed! I suspect it will tow easier than what you have now, but don't have the experience to know for sure. I have to look in the rear view mirror to remember I am towing! So do not let that stop you from getting exactly what you want, as we did. I have heard lots of stories of people going up just a few feet in size in a relatively short time after purchasing their first one (which I have thought of, too), so do just buy what you want, even if you have to upgrade your TV to do so. You will NOT regret it!

You CAN do it and it is FUN!!! Go for it

Lynda

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #1697
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Linda, what a nice post.

I have to share my day with the 'sisters'. This is a repeat of a post on another thread to a great extent but your post made me want to tell you all.

Spent the afternoon at the Tin Can Camper Rally here in Michigan. LOTS of vintage campers, most in fine shape. Liked the Caravel, Bambies are cute but too small. Overlanders a good size. It was an open house so we got to explore and ask tons of questions. Went with two other couples. One Bambi/retro crazed, another partners who I think are leaning towards a new one.

DH came up to me this evening and said, "Can I tell you how I really feel about this airstream business?"....er, not what someone dreaming of an AS wants to hear but after 20 years of marriage I reply, "Not really but lay it on me." Here I was thinking OK, x-nay on the Airstream - Ay.

He then says, "I've got to tell you I don't really like the vintage campers. If we get one I prefer the sleek look of the new Airstreams" Guess it will be a new or a gently used camper for us in the future!

Still wondering about size......

Linda, does your hubby fit comfortably in the 25 ft AS?
Old 05-18-2008, 02:19 AM   #1698
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Talking Woohoo Teresa!

I am SO psyched to hear that your hubby is interested!!! Ride the wave!
So cool you got to check out lots of different sizes, floorplans, and ages of Airstreams.

We three fit nicely in this size, and I could see a fourth teen fitting as well, from a "hanging out" perspective as well as sleeping. We like the layout, having a dedicated bedroom for us, as well as the way the sofa and dinette are grouped together. We invited an elderly gentleman friend over for breakfast in the AS one morning after church, and he is easily 6'3" and broad shouldered (DH is also broad shouldered), and we all comfortably visited for a few hours. It was really nice He is a great cheerleader for us, so excited that we are getting out and exploring and enjoying our time together while still "young" and healthy, and thinks it is great for our son. He is right!

If you all plan to take longer trips together, the 27'FB would give you more storage room, which would probably come in handy. We do not tend to pack lightly so we could use it, even for shorter trips! We are getting better at this though.

The only 25' layout I am familiar with is the front bedroom (FB) that we have, and we love this layout. It has a queen size bed (though twins are available, and I understand they have more storage accessable from outside). The bed is very roomy for us, we are used to a king bed at home and this is fine. DH is just under 6'1" tall, and the bed is barely long enough for him. We may install a 6" piece of foam up under our pillows, to extend the bed by that much, though it really doesn't seem to bother him so we may not bother.

The bed is a little tough to make because though it is not mounted right up to the wall, one side is kind close and you cannot really walk on that side due to the lower curve of the AS. DH sleeps on that side cause he doesn't mind crawling over the end of the bed to get into it, whereas I am stumbly at night and need to have easy access to the bathroom, so this works fine for us. He does have to be careful not to bump his head (again) in the overhead storage, and one side of that storage is a little tough to access. We will be switching over to a duvet and cover and making the bed look tidy will be much easier on me

The 27'FB has the bed mounted at the very end of the trailer (as opposed to ours being sideways). I like the look of this better, but have not tried to walk around it. Should be easier though, and then both sides get a night stand. Not sure how you access the outside storage with the bed this way though.

Tomorrow I will put down the dinette and ask DH and son to lay down on dinette/bed and sofa, to see how your twins might fit. I'll let you know what my guys think about this arrangement! Their feet will share the same space, but the beds are nice and wide.

We are not very handy people, so going new was good for us. IF I had it to do over again I would look for one just a year or two old, though, because it would save a lot of money. DH really likes that it is ours from the beginning though. My problem is that I am not an "off the rack" kind of girl, but spending much money on customizing a brand new trailer is a tough sell. Also, should we decide to trade in a few years, we probably need to keep it original, or at least save the original stuff (?). I am having fun dreaming of my custom interior that I hope to someday have!

This works for us because we are out camping and using it! Eventually I would like to get an older unit and have it completely redone to our taste, but DH would never have gone straight to that, especially since it is likely to cost about the same as a new unit by the time we are done with it!

As far as the TV (tow vehicle) goes, I understand that a 1/2 ton is adequate for up to 25' newer models (much heavier than the vintage on same size), but 27' and up you really should look into the 3/4 ton vehicles. This may determine which direction you go in. We went with a 3/4 ton so we have room to go bigger later if we want to, without also having to upgrade our TV! So for us, since we were buying a TV as well, we made a long term commitment. Plus, being complete newbies to towing, we like the confidence and peace of mind that having the extra power give us.

Teresa, take your family to the nearest AS dealer with lots of units, soon!!! All of you hang out for at least a half an hour in the unit(s) you like, stretch out on the beds, stand in the shower (oh! the shower light should be moved! tall people could bang their head on it), sit on the toilet with the door closed, imagine your stuff in the cabinets, etc. This is the best way to really get a feel for the space

So excited for you! And remember, if I can tow and camp in this thing solo, YOU can too! Seriously, it was all completely new to me, and I am doing it! So very cool!

Lynda

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #1699
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Today doing a bit more dreaming. DH and I have narrowed our 'dream' selection down to a Safari 25 FB with the twin beds. He is really concerned about outside storage as our pop-up has a TON and then what to do with the bikes...

I really like the interior with the green. Some I see have checked green cushions on the dinette.

We will be taking a trip this summer to the factory in Ohio (2 1/2 hours away) and stop at one of the big dealers along the way. In the mean time, I'm surfing the net and have called a couple of places to see what storage will be. DH is a stickler that no camper will be parked outside at our house and our pole barn only has a 9' door. I can see his point, it is a pretty good signal that you aren't home if your camper is gone.

Off to look at the other messages.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #1700
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Hi Teresa,
I also welcome you to our group! I may have a solution for your bikes. We carry ours inside the AS. Our s-i-l had bike fork racks mounted to a 2x4 set up to carry 2 bikes in the back of a pick-up he no longer owned. He gave it to us and Ike cut it in half and re-positioned the fork racks. The bikes fit cross-wise in front of the sofa, each one with it's handlebars facing a side wall. The 2x4 frame keeps them stable and in place. This works very well with interior in our '75 Tradewind, the only drawbacks being the sofa, nor the table, can be used during overnight stops while traveling. The kids have "borrowed" the racks to transport their bikes in the back of their Yukon this wknd.
I found a great picture of a fork rack mount on e-bay - at the bottom is a large picture. Item # 300224561391 Of course, they're available at bike
shops.

Good luck in your search,
sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote