Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
ohh and who had the Baileys to add to the hot chocolate?
uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:57 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by uluwene
oops! almost forgot the peanutbutter cookes, banana bread and a big jug of hot chocolate for this virtual rally and camp fire.
YUUUUMMMM i'm thinking I could go for a snack right about now - just set the fire on in the house and sitting having a break - the puppies are all snoring at my feet patiently waiting for 4:00 o'clock - dinner time.

And then a familiar sound these past few days the snow plow in the distance.

Time for a Sherry - Croft is my favorite....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hurry Rivettes!!!! Grab some popcorn - just put in the Long Long Trailer!!!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:39 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Sharon... Have one for me also.. I left mine at home in the north... my white wine is nearly gone and that just leaves the red...my least favorite ..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:10 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Breathe again--I've got the Baileys!

"I guess "nature study" would be my main offering since my original profession was Interpretive Naturalist at an Audubon Nature Center. Still love to just see what is happening in the natural world around me and often carry field guides and binoculars as well as the small digital camera when I go for walks.

About a year and a half ago I went back to my childhood passion of horseback riding. My trainer succeeded in getting the horse and me over a jump TOGETHER, a couple of weeks ago. What a thrill to go back to what I was enjoying as a teen and find I can still ride and get better too in my ummm 6th decade." Nancy, this rally gets more and more interesting. I love to journal, and I'd love to illustrate my journals and do some scrapbook style photos in them, but don't feel gifted in that line, you're a trained naturalist, and maybe you could show us how to do illustrated nature journals and we could adapt that to our AS travels???????!!!!!!! I too loved horseback riding when young. Because of that, I made sure that my daughters had horses, for pleasure riding and showing in 4H and district shows. My trailering experience is mostly from hauling them around the state! I can't imagine getting back up to ride again now (also in 6th decade!) so my riding cap's off to you And jumping even--I drove, but never jumped. ~G Yeh, I've never seen the Long Long Trailer and have wanted to get it! Okay, ready. . .
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I noticed there's plenty of room still around this virtual campfire. Here, let's drag over some more logs for sit-upons. We must have many Silver Sistas on this forum who could join us. Let's see how big a campfire ring we can make this evening. Oh, and is there any more thought about a virtual rally chat night? ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 01-31-2007, 03:45 PM   #87
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Loved "The Long Long Trailer" We watched it all together at a rally (Nor Cal at Lake San Antonio) and laughed at all the mistakes we've all made just like Lucy & Desi.

The short version of hobbies: Hiking, kayaking, photography, painting, dogs (3), camping of course, journaling too, lots of international travel.

Now, I brought a nice bottle of wine...anyone want to share?
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:15 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Catching up...

Well, it's been a long day and I'm worn out. Thought I'd sit my bottom down around the campfire and catch up with everyone. Any more of that Baileys left for my cup?

Can't believe all the things I'm finding in common with the rest of you. I've been a part-time student for the last 25 years or so while I worked fulltime, raised daughter #1 as a single mom, then re-married, still working, still a student, then two more girls, now home-mom, and still a part-time student. Working on a Liberal Arts degree with natural science concentration (botany), and as if that's not enough, also working on a certificate in Natural Science Illustration. If all goes well, I'll wrap it all up in 2008. Last fall I took a really cool course in Nature Journaling for my certificate program (teacher was awesome -- she made her own journal books!), and I'm getting ready to travel to Florida for 5 days on my own (woo-hoo, momma's 1st annual winter escape!!), doin' nothin' but sitting on the beach, visiting the local gardens and nature preserves, drawing and doodling. I don't like my writing, so I just sketch and paint, plants and landscapes, that kind of stuff. Here's my favorite sketchbook artist. I want to make travel journals this good someday.

I also collect junk, usually from the local transfer station swap shed. I've got some real prizes there -- vintage furnishings for my future art studio, dozens of antique canning jars, baskets, old kitchen utensils, cups, and saucers, gardening supplies, and camping stuff. Really great stuff -- and for free! Reduce, reuse, recycle!!

You ladies that are photographers are doing something I just never got the hang of. I'm in awe of Carol's talent with the camera! What an eye she has!

I'm also a gardener. And that doesn't mean I'm good at it, I just do it. Most of what I can get to grow gets eaten by deer. But I keep at it. And with a botany background, I can usually give you the name of the plant I just killed, in latin, family name, genus, and species.

And, yes, I can't wait to try flyfishing someday. Who's gonna teach us? So many of us who want to go fishing... That's definitely a rally down the road.

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #89
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Wow ladies we all have a lot in common, a willingness to try new things and grow!!

Jamie I hear ya about the deer, its an ongoing battle here, I finally got lucky last year protecting hostas with cayenne pepper and garlic, but then the yard smells a little different. Course after it rains, sigh, there I am sprinkling the plants again...we'll see if it works this year, seems like they get used to my repellants...I love gardening perennial plants/flowers.

I'm taking a beginners fly fishing class in May, so I hope to be able to fly fish around others without being a health and safety hazardI think the only thing I'd be able to teach would be watch out for Steph she's casting again arrrgggghhhhh....

I share with my campfire sisters a love of nature, walking, hiking, biking, kayaking (not white water, just slow and easy recreational). I love to cook, and am presently trying bread baking--4 loaves so far and nobody's been hospitalized

I love to appreciate music, photos, fabric art, and all the great things you all create. I'm taking a beginning basic weaving course in March, just to see how patient the instructor can be with a slow learner...
Old 01-31-2007, 06:53 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Steph, for years I wove on an old Sears Roebuck rug loom, vintage 1940's. I loved it: pine, mellow glow to the wood, tray over the heddles to hold the fun accessories for weaving, I made rugs, toweling, place mats, and so on and gave away everything I made. I finally realized that pine is a soft wood that just does not stand up to hard use. The warp tension became impossible to set because of wear on the wooden and iron parts, so sadly, I finally let a neighbor with a wood-crafty husband who could work to replace some parts carry it away. One of my goals in retirement is to get a new maple or other hardwood Leclerc or Swedish loom, sign up for a refresher course in warping and design, and weave again. Keep us posted on your March class and your progress in a delightful fiber art! You inspire me: hmm-I may sign up for a class this winter or early spring even if I don't have a home loom now. ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 01-31-2007, 06:58 PM   #91
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Well, ladies, it's been a long day down here in Tennessee. The weatherman is forcasting 1-3 inches of snow for tonight. We haven't had snow in at least 6 years. At least, not any we could play in! Sometimes I envy all of you up north, then a lot of the time I don't!

Like a lot of you, I like just about anything outdoors. Hiking, fishing, canoeing, boating, and, of course, camping. Last summer I worked at wake boarding. The kids were doing it, don't see why I was having so much trouble! I would like to learn to kayak. That looks like a lot of fun. I also like to garden and can even put up the veggies.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:13 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
...working on a Liberal Arts degree with natural science concentration (botany), and as if that's not enough, also working on a certificate in Natural Science Illustration...
Hi Jamie -

Recently, my sister just became the director of UCSB's Sedgwick Reserve, if you're ever out this way, you should check it out - it's an amazing place for research scientists, gardeners, artists and the lover of nature. I bet I could even set up a private tour!

It is amazing how many interests we all share in addition to the silver beauties. Gardening, junking, art, photography...

By far, my favorite thing to do is to comb flea markets, garage sales, thrift stores, and yes, even a dumpster or two now and then, to add strange, funny and unique things to my growing collections of previously-loved furniture, metal, glass, and well, stuff.

I also gleaned a love of art from my art professor father who taught printmaking at UCSB for almost 40 years. I love to sketch and water color and have even been pondering an idea to create airstream "portraits" for my friends (maybe I'll give my idea a whirl at the WC Women's Rally.)

I'd love to learn to fly-fish too. Sign me up for a lesson or two!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:22 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrmr
Hi Jamie -

Recently, my sister just became the director of UCSB's Sedgwick Reserve, if you're ever out this way, you should check it out - it's an amazing place for research scientists, gardeners, artists and the lover of nature. I bet I could even set up a private tour!
Wow!!!!! That place looks like heaven on earth! So much natural beauty in California, and throughout the country that I just have to get to someday. Can't wait to get my degree done, and get out there exploring and painting!

-J

Anybody got any chocolate left? Hot cocoa?
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 01-31-2007, 07:25 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey
Sometimes I envy all of you up north, then a lot of the time I don't!
The last few years we got tons of snow. This year we haven't even got a full inch, just a little dusting. New England winters are totally unpredictable. Well, except for the cold. You can count on at least a few days of freezing temps.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I love Long Long Trailer. I think of it when I hear my AS doorbell. Sharon this is good and buttery. I brought my popcorn salt too if anyone wants a sprinkle.

We share so many like interests here. We should really do this more often.

Shhhhhhh I love this part. Stacy is so funny, poor Nicky. Ha ha ha
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Well, I've got my Cab here, and I just got back from the RV place to buy furnace ducting and the thrift store for more 60s kitchen gadgets. I wonder where I'll put all the stuff I'm buying... but there's always the possibility of another one!!

I absolutely LOVE thrifting, and if we had a good flea, then that too. I have been accused of having a 'champagne taste on a beer budget' so I comb through the crap and make it cool again.

For Christmas I made my kids a retro stove- it's pretty cool, I even like to play! The airstream has got me going retro, when a year ago I thought that stuff was ugly- go figure!!
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:51 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Hope you ladies don't mind my bringing my medical charts to the campfire. I am so far behind that I can't stop writing. It's sleeting out, it's icy out and I want this virtual rally to be real and the weather to be just a little brisk and the campfire to be warm. Oh Spring, where are you.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:51 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Hey, Carol, can you show us how you touch your tongue to your nose?

Steph, someone told me to put Irish Spring soap out in the garden to repel the deer. It didn't work. Smells fresh and clean out there, though, like the garden just got out of the shower. I'll have to try the cayenne & garlic.

I'm goin' for another drink.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 01-31-2007, 08:05 PM   #99
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Sorry about that. A phone call from home. I thought the cell phones wouldn't work out here. Oh well.

You can also use any kind of peppers for spray in your garden. Jalapinos, seranoes, habaneros work well also. Just remember to add a little dish detergent so it will stick to your plants. When I had the space to garden, I did the organic thing. If you can have chickens where you are, they are also good at eating the bugs in the garden. I let mine free range and they would follow the rotor tiller up a row and down a row, then up a row and down a row. It was funny to watch.

As far as a specialty goes, I don't really have one. But I am willing to try almost anything. I really enjoy animals and have 2 dogs and 3 cats of my own. My dogs love to camp and will try to be the first to the TV when I am loading the TT. I also have a pet sitting business besides my day job. Right now I am staying with 2 Great Danes, 2 mutts and 1 cat.

Anyone ready for s'mores yet?
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #100
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Ghirardelli chocolate hazelnut cocoa steaming in mugs here!

Hey hey the campfire is heating up!! Med charts eh Juel?? Hang in there and put your feet up!

Meredith, I think that Airstream portrait idea is something you could run with!!! Cool!

Thrifting is so much fun, man it brings back memories too! Its like oh I remember seeing that in grandma's kitchen wow...

Kathy if you ever want to come up north we have a guest room and a spare coat, you can play in the snow any old time you want!! Course its the wind chill that'll get ya here...

Georgia, way back in the day, I used to ride in 4-h too, hunt seat over fences, dressage, and western too, couldn't get enough of horses as a girl ...that's so sweet you did all that for your girls!! Course now I just admire them from a distance, my sis in law raises rocky mtn spotted horses kind of like Tenn walkers, they are so sweet!