Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #601
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
We've got some delicious food to share

Sisters, I made the New York Times Bread ...get the butter Codybear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bread 2007 002 (2)-1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	33734  
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #602
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Nothing like warm bread with lots of butter. Looks yummy!
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #603
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Okay, so now I know what I'm doing this weekend! Dang! I was just thinking how badly I need to give up "white foods" to get in shape for my summer clothes!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #604
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Aria, here's the butter, please cut me a huge slice and spread a lot of oleo on mine!!!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #605
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Say there, Aria, nice job on the bread! I'll have a slice of that too, with a little bit of apricot jam. Don't forget to save a little of that for breakfast in the morning. It's delicious for toast!!!

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #606
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Jamie,

I sent you the recipe, hope you got it!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:53 AM   #607
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Jamie, I think I'll pass on the Cheez Whiz ~ Got any Brie or Bleu?

Shari
Hmm -- cheez whiz and bleu in the same sentence. Now there's a truly awful visual.

Sorry I missed your post yesterday, Shari. I do have a little brie, but no bleu in the house (allergies abound). Let's save the brie for this evening, and go with the jam and toast for breaky today. Are you gonna try the NYT recipe this weekend?

Anyone started spring cleaning on the Airstream yet? I'm seeing some sunshine in the forecast and I think I'll break out a bucket of water and sponge and get started on it mid-week. I'm also going to measure out that odd corner bed and make some new fitted sheets. Any suggestions for what to use for the sheeting would be much appreciated.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 03-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #608
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I've got some boursin cheese and some good onion crackers. We'll be going out into the Airstream today. Nice mild temperatures but the yard is mush with remnants of ice settling here and there. Tis spring sweet spring time, cold winter has passed! YEA!!! Also going to do some spring cleaning and get another visit from Michelle (thecatsandi) on Tuesday!

Kung Poa chicken is a favorite of mine and dear hubby made me a big batch, some Clois Du Bois and I am good for eats today.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #609
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Going out to clean in the Airstream a little today too, during 'nap time'! Not much I can do til the wood floor is finished but it will be fun to play camping....

Ooh Carol, sounds like a great meal today!! Say hi to Michelle!

Seeing that sun got me to thinking about Louisiana and then food ...hmmm wonder if Mrs. Towdaddy will share some Louisiana cooking secrets...
Old 03-10-2007, 09:41 AM   #610
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Glad to hear the weather is "breaking" in your area. Can it be our turn soon?
We have so much SNOW. We have been sweeping the Airstream (outside).

I will save some of the New York Times Bread for toast and I have the apricot jam. Sisters, if you never made Bread this is the one to try. So simple. You can use some whole wheat flour (better for us). I must tell I did try to delete some of the white flour...not as tasty.

I think it might be better to take and bread and increase the exercise? Pass me a large cookie to go with my black coffee.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #611
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Yummy!! All this talk of food makes me hungry. Sure Steph, I will be glad to share a secret of Louisiana cooking. Although I don't think it is that much of a secret. It is a trilogy. A trilogy is onion, celery, and green pepper. And of course a roux makes anything better! Whenever anyone is up to a Rivette Rush at my house the menu will be Louisiana cuisine.

I wish Betty Lou II was close enough for me to daydream in. I have some rearranging that I have to do. My stash collected over the winter to go in means that something has to come out. I have definite plans to start on March 29th, but if the weather will allow I will go for a day trip before that. We still have a lot of snow on the ground at home and I think there will be even more at Betty Lou's location. I did get a tablecloth remade to fit Betty Lou's table. I sure hope my measurements were correct. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works!

The sun is shining today and the birds are singing evoking hopes that Airstreaming is right around the corner. Ready or not here we go...

Vickie
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #612
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
WAaaahhhHHH!

I went to the lNYT link to get the no-knead bread recipe & it locked me out! I hate getting on those registration lists...can one of you PM or email the recipe to me? I am running off to the store, I don't recall there being any "special" ingredients (just lots of time)...I'll check in later - Thanks!

If it's too much trouble...no biggie I'll go back & do the registration thing later this afternoon ~

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 03-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #613
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
No-Knead Bread Recipe

Bummer about the link. I'll attach the recipe in a word doc.

No-Knead Bread
Makes one 1 1/2-pound loaf

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, plus more for work surface
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
Olive oil, as needed
Cornmeal or wheat bran, as needed (optional)

1. In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, and salt. Add 1 1/2 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Coat a second large bowl with olive oil. Transfer dough to oiled bowl and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, but preferably up to 18, in a room about 70° in temperature. When surface is dotted with bubbles, dough is ready.

2. Lightly flour work surface. Place dough on work surface and sprinkle with more flour. Fold the dough over on itself once or twice. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Sprinkle just enough flour over work surface and your fingers to keep dough from sticking; quickly and gently shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton, non-terry cloth towel with flour, cornmeal, or wheat bran; place dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, cornmeal, or wheat bran. Cover with a second cotton, non-terry cloth towel and let rise until it has more than doubled in size and does not readily spring back when poked with a finger, about 2 hours.

4. After about 1 1/2 hours, preheat oven to 500°. Place a 6 to 8-quart heavy covered pot, such as cast iron or Pyrex, in oven as it heats. When dough has fully risen, carefully remove pot from oven. Remove top towel from dough and slide your hand under the bottom towel; turn dough over into pot, seam side up. Shake pan once or twice if dough looks unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking until browned, 15 to 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Note: Recipe courtesy of Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery, and New York Times
Old 03-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #614
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks Steph..

Shari

Old 03-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #615
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towdaddy
Whenever anyone is up to a Rivette Rush at my house the menu will be Louisiana cuisine.Vickie
That is so sweet!! Ooh sounds like heaven to me!! I'm putting on some Beausoleil right now!!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #616
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I thought while we sat together over our coffee tonight I would share a little story with you that a good friend shared with me. Gather around a bit closer. That's good. Ok here goes...

A group of alumni, long established in their careers, and very successful, got talking at a reunion and decided to go visit their old university professor, now retired.

During their visit, conversation soon turned into complaints about all the stress in their work and lives. Offering his guests coffee, the professor went to the kitchen and returned with a large pot of coffee and an assortment of cups - porcelain, plastic, glass, crystal, some plain looking, some expensive, some exquisite - telling them to help themselves to the coffee.

When each of the alumni had a cup of coffee in hand, the professor watched and listened to them for a little while. Then he said: "Notice that all the nice looking, expensive cups were taken up, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones.

While it is normal for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress. Be assured that the cup itself adds no quality to the coffee. In most cases it is just more expensive and in some cases even hides what we drink.

What all of you really wanted was coffee, not the cup, but you consciously went for the best cups... and then you began eyeing each other's cups. Now consider this: Life is the coffee; your job, money and position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain Life. The type of cup one has does not define, nor change the quality of life a person lives. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee God has provided us. God brews the coffee, not the cups... Enjoy your coffee!"

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #617
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
That is so sweet!! Ooh sounds like heaven to me!! I'm putting on some Beausoleil right now!!
Just went to get out my Beausoleil and realized I only have it on LP and I haven't set up the turntable since we moved 2-1/2 years ago! Guess I'm out of luck this evening.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 03-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #618
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thanks, Carol. I'm sending your story on to 3 of my grown kids. In their 30's, dealing with all of "life," they will understand the meaning. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #619
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Carol, I am so glad you gathered us around for a story. I am a college professor (not retired) and I enjoy telling my students this story. I will share with current 55 of them.

And Tin Sista, Your recipe for New York Times Bread is not the same as the one I got from the New York Times. There is NO OLIVE oil. And this recipe
is so much easier. This is not the same as the one on Discuss Cooking Forum.

Shari, You can just Google New York Times No Knead Bread. If I can help just ask. It's a no fail Bread and is delicious.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #620
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Hey Aria, sorry for any confusion, the recipe I posted was the one that I used and the one I sent to Jamie. Here's what it looks like. I relied heavily on Rose Levy Beranbaum's method of time and temp not included in that recipe but from her blog. Should have been clearer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no knead.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	33762