Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #221
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
"Rollartoaster!" Love it! You gals are so funny.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #222
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Ok Irish, hope this helps!
The thread is: "What do you carry for travel dishes?"
And I got our set of sheets at "SheetsUSA.com".
Janet
Old 02-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #223
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Wow ladies...I just read this whole thread! What a fun bunch...I got a real charge out of reading your posts on the trials and tribulations of streaming experienced by all. Appreciate the tips that were given....I like the idea of putting men's boots outside your camper if your camping alone...very creative!

Well it's already been a year since owning our camper, a 21' Sovereign which I adore. I found it on the side of the road about 10 minutes away from my house. We use to go by it every weekend on our way to soccer games and in the winter time I would scrape the ice off the inside of the windows just so i could catch a glimpse as we went by. The day finally came when I could not take it any more so I convinced my husband to do the knock on the door thing and the next day we were giving a deposit. It's a real fix-r-upper because it was so neglected and is still a work in progress. We managed to get out six times last summer and had a blast.

I have one amusing story to add...
Our first rally and my first real tow came back in June of last spring. I told my husband, "I just don't want to go over the Bourne Bridge (goes over to Cape Cod)...and a very narrow two laner..well as we approached the round about...that looked something very similar to that scene in "Vacation" with Chevy Chase were they kept going round and round the roundabout...that's what I was facing at 5 o'clock traffic!...and as you guessed it I got pushed over the bridge! ...not only had I gotten pushed over it but now I knew I was facing coming back over it because our destination was on the otherside
of that *&#@ roundabout! Then came the question where are we going to turn around..now my husband was freaking because I was much bigger than the minivan that pushed us over and why didn't I just move into the left lane!but I was not getting a ding on our first outing and the guy was not letting me in! We found a place to turn around, a gas station with a mighty big dip at the entrance that surprised us both with a clunk....I got out and did a walk around and saw nada. We made it back over the bridge and made it safely to our destination..yes we were the newbies of the weekend and a good laugh was had by all as they watched me back up the camper. Everything was going great till we heard a drip...yup..that was the clunk! We had bottomed out and it pushed the rubber flange back on the drain valve. I found myself on my back on the wet ground in the pouring rain that weekend fixing our new leak and making wonderful friends with people that were so helpful in giving advice. It was quite the adventure and I could hardly wait for more with less clunks down the road.

...great thread Jamie!

Ann
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:17 PM   #224
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I could almost see that happen Ann. Easy for the guys to tell us just push on over. I wouldn't have either. I love the story and I could really feel for you and then the leak in the rain. Oh dear. It's no wonder we have such an emotional attachment to our Airstreams, we have been through a lot together. Kind of glad my AS can not talk! That's a great wish btw, I think I may adopt yours too. More adventures and less clunks down the road.

photography
Old 02-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #225
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Good grief, I'm away a few hours, and we have a bigger campfire! Everyone, scunch around to make room. I just happened to bring back with me a hot carafe of decaf coffee and some. . .Baileys! Irish of TheThreeSeas, you must have a good story for your name. I hope you share it with us. Welcome to the campfire Seattlebound, Anne, a flyfisher woman We'll all be happy to have some flyfishing leadership when we finally get to really rally. Welcome! And Ann, enduroryda, I've enjoyed your posts, and now you share a great story Well, I'm settled in now and with a few more logs, the fire is warmly blazing. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #226
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
-G- Wow I think I have had a bit too much Irish...........Aria, Ann, Anne and Annie - with that combo half way through the evening camp fire I am going to be in Real Trouble Thank Goodness for Irish - that is a name I will not mix up cause it surely tastes fine...

Welcome all you sistas.

Okay I'm in! if someone wants to teach me Flyfising. Can't wait...

You Gals from the South East side of Lake Ontario - come on up Annie and my way a day earlier and we can caravan on into the RSSR to Ohio via MI to pick up the crazy ladies. Anne - you won't have to go too far if you would like to join us too. Hopefully you can catch a trip with some of the gals leaving to the International after to get in a real tow.

I have brought over a few of the fallen trees around here and axed out some comfy seats while the new sistas have been telling their adventures - wow what a short story book we could compile

The Blue Fairy Fauxpaw
[I]We did not have our own Blue Buggy for our First Rally - so we borrowed our friends - but it was too big to fit under the trailer. And the hose we had was too long as well. While we were have a few wobbly pops I noticed someting dripping at the back (wish it was the fresh water - but we were not hooked up to anything) Turned out the kink in the hose was not letting the water into the blue buggy and we filled up the hose and it was backing up into the pipe. Our little pull leever for the - yep you know what tank has a little tapp handle on it - so naturally I thought if you turned it the leak would stop - it would not turn and before poor Marvin, Annies Husband could say (Don't Touch that flippin leever!) it was too late I pulled the lever. I did not realize that he had undone the hose from the "bum hole". Only a bit of blue water and tisue escaped over Marvins arm - okay propably a pee pee too, like a little one only as we just got there!! Boy our first Rally, Airstream, WBCCI thing ever - if looks could kill [I]

I am still apologizing for that almost three years later.....

Now to change the subject....so you are not left with that vision...

And for your viewing pleasure - I think these little guys are so cute.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6846.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	32237  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #227
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Goodness looks like you marked out your territory for lifelong friendship. hehe And here I have been trying hostess gifts. Talk about rolling up your sleeves and getting down and dirty. Poor Marvin. Ah but Annie and Marvin are such good sports!

I have a pop-up story I could tell. When we first got our pop-up we didn't have time to camp but we were anxious to set it up and try it out. We took it to a local state park by our house and spent the night but we both had to leave for work the next afternoon. When it was time to strike camp we could not get the pop-up down. I went to the payphone and called the dealer and asked them to send someone right away as we could not stay. When I left Bradley was unscrewing panels over the cables that raise and lower the pop-up and pulling them out as well. It was a mess and we were so upset that this new pop-up didn't even work the first time out. I reamed the guy on the phone about it being no good and was terribly upset. When I returned from the phone call, there it was all put down and snapped up and ready to roll. My husband the genius, he's my hero. He can fix anything. I was a happy camper that he was able to fix it. But I was curious, and I rushed up to him and asked what the problem had been and how had he managed to fix it. He said, after a moment of quiet, I put down the door. Does anyone remember Gilda from SNL? Well that is what I had to say, I had to call the dealer back and say, "Never mind."

Sharon I love the comfy seat you made. G may I have some more decaf with just a smidge more of Baileys please.

photography
Old 02-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #228
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Wheel interested....glad to see you are going to share the seat Sharon made.
And G Do you have regular coffee and Brandy. Enjoyed your pop up story.
Just got our Airstream...stories to come.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #229
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Oh Gees - what a day!

Nice to sit at the fire and have a nice cup of coffee with you all - hmm I think I need to top it up with some spirits of somekind and some extra cash.

Spent 2 hours at the garage today - seems the rotors are in need of changing and the rear wheel cylindar is leaking. I know the engine coolant is leaking - but when they pressure checked the system it did not leak - go figure - so nothing can be done at this time - so we will be traveling with engine coolant by our side and have to check it every gas up.

Called around to get the brakes done and wow $500.00 bucks - so instead I order the parts and grovelled to my neighbour friend up the road who is a retired mechanic. He normally does all our work for us but in the Spring and Summer - not the winter. So the TV is spending the night at his place. I even had to get her throught the car wash so that I would not mess up his nice clean garage.

Got the left Signal light going on MoonBeam - just a bit of corrosion - bulb is fine. Last on the list is the brake connection. It is a mystery - can not seem to get a connection registering on the prodigy. Works fine onthe Overlander so we now it is not the TV or the prodigy. So before we start yanking everything on the GT - I think I will pull the break-away pin and see if the brakes are working of the house battery. If they are - then that means we have a good ground and the brake wires are all good. We know the umbilical has continuity - so that would leave the problem being on either the inside trailer terminal - or the outside trailer terminal. What a big pain in the &^% trailer wiring is - any trailer for that matter. - all else fails on that one if the brakes are okay then we will have to hard wire and skip the outside terminal. then sort it out for the PO in the Spring when it is not so you know what cold outside!!!

What to do still - book the hotel rooms, clean the car, leave instrcutions for the parents and get ready for hopefully uneventfull trip. But best of all we can not wait to meet all you Rivettes that can drop in for this "Rivette Rush"

Feet are nice and warm now - but the butt has to stay cold - no time to yank the Yukon seat to test the modular terminal under it. (Personally I think it is just a switch) but then that would not cost as much at the garage right. And this guys thought they were going to soak me today....I had my retired mechanic go over a few things with me first - so I would not sound like I did not know what I was talking about. So they took me right in and showed me everything. But I had to show them where the coolant leak was tee hee.

Made some nachos - help yourselves....I set some chocolate down at the end of the log ...but I have no idea where they have gone now...
Old 02-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #230
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Oh. Sorry. Those were yours?
With all you're going through, you deserve far more than a little Godiva now and then! I love how well informed you are about what's going on with Moon Beam. Good luck with that brake connection. Here, have a little Khalua in that coffee.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #231
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
hmmmmm that hit the spot.. TKS JanetB
How is the weather out in good old CA bet ya it is better than CAN
Old 02-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Oh well, hmm. It's all relative isn't it? We can tolerate very little change in the expected down here, you know. And January has been way too dry so we're loving the rains were having this week. And of course the ski folks in the Sierras are ecstatic...
But, having relatives in Alaska, I know when not to whine! My darling neice at UA Fairbanks cheerily informed me this morning that it was a bit "nippy" at -15 up there and she was heading out to x-country with her team. Yikes! You all are amazing.
All these perspectives--yet another reason that it's so nice to be around a cozy fire with such a compatible group!
Hey by the way, I'm a gardener too. What do you do during the winter? I have a gardening catalog problem and I can't imagine not being able to dig in the dirt soon-- while the tremors are still somewhat under control...
Old 02-13-2007, 05:34 AM   #233
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Safe trip ..

Dear Friends.. Sharon and Peter ... please drive safely... 407 ..at this time of year is a good idea.. May you have Angels on your hubcaps.. ... Wish we could be part of your journey.. we will be home in 7 weeks.. Hello to Carol and am looking forward to meeting everyone later this year..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:13 AM   #234
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Hi Annie,

I am looking forward to meeting you too. Believe me you are better off where you are. It is not pleasant here. Mother Nature really lulled us into this one. Enjoy any sun and extra warmth you can for us. The snow here in SW Michigan has been unending going on 3 weeks now.

I believe I will put another log on the fire. I can't seem to shake this cold feeling! Warm weather stories would be good about now, that is if we can remember any. It seems so long since it has been warm. Where are the marshmallows?

Vickie
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #235
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Vickie

The sun is shining for now... and will get up to 75 F.. Had rain all day yesterday and will have some thunderstorms later today... was going to get the laundry out and hang it on the line beside the clubhouse. I am becoming a Floridian... complaining about the cold when it gets below 45 F... ... at home in Canada at this time of year.. at this temp ..we would be sitting on our deck with a cup of coffee, sitting in the sun.. We really miss Sharon and Peter.. good friends.. we have had some great times.. Met Carol last summer at the Metro Detroit Rally.. spent most of a week with her and Oreo...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #236
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I just raised the tarp to make a snow shelter from the north wind, so gather round. It's amazingly snug in here ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 02-13-2007, 09:59 AM   #237
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Thanks so Georgia for the tarp! The wind is brutal today. The fire is burning nicely with the wind blocked off. Where did that poker get off to. Carol, did Baron or Oreo think it is playtime again?

Vickie
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #238
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I'm sorry Vickie, Orie get DOWN! You have only to say play and their heads snap around and they are in ready mode. The poker looks a little shorter and knawed on. Georgia I would have never thought about a tarp to keep us snug, great idea.

Annie you and Marvin enjoy that Florida weather. Annie and Marvin are really good cooks. Brought Orie and me in and treated us like royalty. No hot dogs on a paper plate outside this was first class. I am thinking Steph will be bringing her kayak to the women's rally in June. I want to learn all I can from you all.

Sharon you and Peter leave when? Do be careful we have a storm coming.

Jamie is back from Florida---seems like next year we should all go at the same time together.

Janet and Aria your back yards must be filled with plants and critters. I bet you have the best gardens. Here I brought over some of my plant catalogs. Look at this one. The blooms off that bush have been so fragrant and hardy. I just love it, maybe you can get one started.

photography
Old 02-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #239
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
How many of you take snips and cuttings whereever you go and try rooting them in sand? If you dip them in hormone powder, you'll have a better chance at rooting. It takes powerful positive thought to have faith that a tiny little rooted start will grow into a beautiful shrub or tree, but. . .sometimes it does! This is bad--now I'm thinking garden and we have fresh snow on the ground and a howling north wind. I always try to plant spinach and peas by St. Pat's and sooner, if the groundhog is right this year. I didn't get our garden spot fall plowed last year after harvest and cleanup so it won't be so easy to get started this spring. I still have five Rose of Sharon shrubs to transplant out into the yard somewhere --these were bedded in with lots of other garden starts from when we made our move from town to our pond place last year. Speaking of. . .we're thinking of trying to ice fish for some of our catfish or crappie if this cold stays on til the weekend. Never have done that! ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 02-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #240
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Talking Pass the seed catalogue please

Oh the things that get a girl through winter! Seed/plant catalogues do it for me! Photos of lovely plants, such a contrast to the view out the window eh?

Georgia, I haven't tried the root hormone/sand thing yet. I will have to. I would like to do that with my lavender plants, some of my deer friends ate back the lavender this winter, I'm not sure how well they will do in the spring, they were gorgeous through fall.

How about going straight to the chocolate and skipping the marshmellows?