Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2004, 03:36 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Thumbs up Rte. 66 Caravan/Rally

Hey folks, hold this date for something different. A Route 66 Caravan/Rally planned for September 24-26th starting just southwest of St. Louis. Vintage extrodinare Midamrail (Molly Butterworth) and myself are working on the details at this time.

You will get a taste of traveling old route 66 for a short caravan followed by three days and two nights at a full hookup campsite that is close to the old highway. We will have trailer tours and other things going on that will fit into the rte. 66 theme. Molly is planning a lot of this so I will let her fill you in on the details as things fall into place.

We plan to advertise this to VAC and WBCCI sites including the Forums, so space will be limited. You will need to make your reservations early. We have reserved the entire campground for this event so once we are full we are full..

Molly and I will have more information as this comes together.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:21 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Ya know, you guys might be on to something here. I was just reading an old issue of AZ Highways that features many of the sights along ol' Route 66 here in AZ. I was trying to figure out how a rally or something could be organized to follow the highway. What do you all think of a series of rallies that followed the original route from Chicago to Santa Monica? A member could attend as many as their schedule would allow. Say, for example, you could attend one in Chicago one weekend and pickup the next rally the next weekend somewhere further west and sort of pass the torch (sign-in list) to another member there that could attend the next rally at the next designated gathering point along the route. Over the course of a fall season, the torch could make it all the way to the last Route 66 rally. We could really get a lot of folks involved and possibly a retired couple or folks could attend everyone.

Am I just dreaming or what?

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I think that's a wonderful, if ambitious, idea and I personally would write it up for Airstream Life ...
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
It's been done by the hot rod guys. Can't tell you right now the organizers but it sure sounded like fun. I think the cruise started in ?Indiana? going to the next scheduled stop, and so on, all the way to Cali. Participants could pick up the cruise and/or drop out along the way according to their personal schedule. Something of that magnitude with Airstreams would indeed be ambitious but truely awesome !!

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:44 PM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
I was trying to figure out how a rally or something could be organized to follow the highway. What do you all think of a series of rallies that followed the original route from Chicago to Santa Monica? A member could attend as many as their schedule would allow.
Am I just dreaming or what?

FF
Personally I think its a cool idea and the news media would just gobble this story up. I don't know whether this could be pulled off this year at this point. I know we are pretty much locked into our dates with our campground at this point. But lets keep the fire under this one...we just might be able to pull it off in '05.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 08-08-2004, 08:27 PM   #6

Fenton , Missouri
Hi folks. Sorry to say we are going to postpone this rally till next year. Midamrail and I both have had some things that got in the way of us pulling this off in the mode that we wanted. I don't want this to be poorly done or not meet everyone's expectations so we will regroup and try again for next year. Sorry to those who had tentatively put this on your calanders but it was for the best to hold off at this time.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 08-08-2004, 08:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
make lemonade out of lemons :0-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Hi folks. Sorry to say we are going to postpone this rally till next year. Midamrail and I both have had some things that got in the way of us pulling this off in the mode that we wanted. I don't want this to be poorly done or not meet everyone's expectations so we will regroup and try again for next year. Sorry to those who had tentatively put this on your calanders but it was for the best to hold off at this time.

Regards,

Jack
NO WAY coudl we go THIS year, but maybe next year things will loosen up! This might work out for the best, because more people will have more time to plan.

We are going to Rochester, New York in may for a Graduation.. (HALLELUJAH chorus inserted here) Other than that, we may be looking for something wunnerful to do!
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
yes let's ...

... make it something really special. in fact we could even include makeshift dog parks here & there so that the canines don't feel as if they have been sentenced to solitary/legcuffs the entire trip...
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 12:33 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

It all sounds great, especially the dog parks (Ernie loves playtime!). We will have at least a few trips under our belt by then and would be worth the trip from San Diego.

Keep us all posted

Barbara
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote