Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Would you attend a photo rally on the north rim area June 8-10?
yes 5 71.43%
no 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Photography Rally at the North Rim

Hey folks, who wants to have a photo rally in the area of the North Rim of the big ditch. I am thinking early June (since thats when I will be there). Anyone else interested? Im willing to help organize it some.....just brainstorming here...

Oh yeah, me and one of my SOB buddies are doing this so its not an all aluminut event......

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think the Midwest Rally is going to be in early June again this year.
FYI......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The midwest rally rocks

I hate to miss it, but I expect to be 1,500 miles or so to the west. I think that the Grand Canyon is far enough away not to be competing with the Moraine View Rally for people.

I'm thinking the thing to do would be to pick an area to use as a base and then do day trips out. Maybe share images at night. If anyone wanted to take a shot at large format photography I would be willing to share my 4x5....

Old 12-07-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Rod----"Rat's" i'll be on the south rim then--took a summer workamper job with Xanterra the concessionaire at the park. --be aware there is a lot of construction beng done at the North Rim, several renovation projects in process. also the campground there is small and always Booked--need to make reservations early. The little forest campground at De Motte Park about half way to the park entrance on 67 has been remodeled with several more sites there---however it's non reservable.. Was told they plan on closing the larger camp at Jacob lake for remodel ---a call to the Jacob Lake Lodge could probably give some info concerning that.---Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Rodney,
This sounds like something that we might be interested in. The north rim is a great place to visit. Since you can not make camping reservations untill 5 months prior to the camp date you have a couple of months to start planning. Once the reservation window opens up, it books fast. We are weekend campers (we still work ) so anything we plan would be around an extended weekend. I understand that the North Rim Campground has several small group sites as well.
Santa has told me to expect a new camera this year. It looks like it is going to be a Canon Powershot S3.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
That would be Soooo cool to go! (too far )

Nice web can link tho, check it every day!

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webca...am/grcacam.cfm
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Rodney,
This is a great idea. The N. Rim is one of our favorite remote AZ destinations. Richard is absolutely right about how quick the campgrounds fill up so planning well in advance is the smart thing. A day trip on the North Rim can be 100-150 miles round trip sometimes more. There is just so much to see. It is one of the least populated areas per square mile in the entire country! The thing I love about the N. Rim is you can find many vistas that you can sit and stare at the big hole and never see a soul for a entire day! Keep me posted on the details..
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
"The little forest campground at De Motte Park about half way to the park entrance on 67 has been remodeled with several more sites there---however it's non reservable.." Might be worse than that.
We stopped by De Motte Park Lodge in early October because the Jacob Lake CG was full. We were told that the De Motte campground did not open in 2006. Nearest unoccupied place we found was in Kanab.
I would take Mike's advice and do some telephone work before planning to camp close-by the North Rim.
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Hummmmmmmm, if I didn't have this real J.O.B. I'd be there in a heart beat... I'd even bring my own 4 x 5.
Maybe I need to buy another lottery ticket?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
Hey Rod,
Do you have exact dates in mind? I have art shows the first weekend and Father's Day weekend in June, but would like to do this.
Cheers , Jeff
Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:03 AM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
June 8-10?

Jeff, I'm thinking June 8-10th. At the moment my plans are to hit Canyon DeChelly on the way west, then I want to spend a week or so in the area of the Big Ditch and Page. I was also thinking about hiking down to Havasu Falls, anyone done that?

Anyway, as I see it, this whole thing is pretty flexible. Where we camp, how long we stay and so forth are all fair game. I will also be in the area a for at least a few days on each side of that time, so the timing is less critical for me than for some. I'm more interested in hanging out with some other airstreamers and playing with my cameras than anything else.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
.Quote: I was also thinking about hiking down to Havasu Falls,

Have you checked out the location of the falls?? The are off the south rim. You have to drive half way to Kingman then north another 50 or so miles. Also it will be Blazing hot that time of the year. Not trying to discourage you, just to inform. ---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:46 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I was also thinking about hiking down to Havasu Falls, anyone done that?
Havasu Falls is wonderful. Lots of WOW factor. Moderately difficult hike. It's about 8-9 mile hike to the village of Supai and 2-4 mile hike to the three falls. check link below for more info. and reservations etc.
Havasupai Tribe

Now I must tell you it is a long haul from the north rim to the jumping off point for Havasu Falls (trail head starts on the west rim on the south side of the canyon) it's about 350-375 mile drive from the north rim village 7+ hours to the end of Indian Road hwy 18. So you'll want to plan accordingly. You may want to consider camping somewhere on the south side the night before the hike. It’s been 5 years since I last did this hike and I don't remember a lot of room to park at the trailhead so I'd leave the AS in a campground nearby (which is 60-70 miles from the trailhead.) Maybe someone else could give additional advice on parking at the trailhead.

In the end if you like really like to hike, this one is worth all of the trouble. The falls water is Caribbean blue green it is another world in a very remote location. Happy to answer more questions..
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, there you guys go again, planning another rally at a time when we're stuck here! (And now that I've got a new camera -- ancient Pentax SLR to a new digital Pentax SLR -- I'm itchin' for a photography tour!)

Lynn
Old 12-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Oh, there you guys go again, planning another rally at a time when we're stuck here! (And now that I've got a new camera -- ancient Pentax SLR to a new digital Pentax SLR -- I'm itchin' for a photography tour!)

Lynn
Is that the K1000? I learned on that camera. Fantastic camera, darn near bulletproof. Maybe I will stop in and see you on they way west...

Old 12-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Is that the K1000? I learned on that camera. Fantastic camera, darn near bulletproof. Maybe I will stop in and see you on they way west...
Yep, the old one is a K1000, one of the best film cameras ever built, IMHO! I'm keeping it, though perhaps more out of sentiment than anything else. The new one is a K100D, with which I can use the two lenses that I had for the K1000. (Pentax has a special on at the moment, so I also get a $50 rebate.) I've got the new one set to full manual mode so that it's a reasonable match with the K1000.

And, to bring this back to the thread, I'd dearly love to take the new camera to the north rim! Alas, our travel time is limited to April/early May and then to latter October and November.

Lynn
Old 12-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Rodney; The North Rim sounds great to us. My wife and I have camped there ten consecutive years. We missed out 2006 accident on the way there. In the past we did not have a problem with reservations as long as we avoided the holiday weekends and booked early.

If our WBCCI Unit caravan does not happen we will be at the N.Rim, June 8-10.

Charlie M.
Las Vegas, NV
2005 Safari 22'
Charlie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
We went to North Rim in June, 2005.
Stayed in Page. Did North Rim, Vermillion Cliffs, Antelope Canyon, Rainbow Bridge, and Monument Valley.
The weather can be unpredictable. North Rim was flatout COLD when we were there. It was 41 degrees, it rained, it hailed, it sleeted, and the evening we left, it snowed on us....June 11, 2005.
The photos were fantastic due to the weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-055F.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	29578   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-878F.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	29579  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-879F.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	29580  

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:57 AM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
As David stated, the weather at the North Rim can be cold and wet. This is from the GCNP web site.
Quote:
SUMMER
North Rim summer temperatures are cooler than those on the South Rim due to increased elevation and can range from 40s-70s°F (5°-21°C). The North Rim is 8000 feet (2438 m) above sea level. Thunderstorms frequently occur during July, August, and early September. Inner canyon temperatures are extreme. Daytime highs at the river, 5000 feet (1500m) below the rim, often exceed 105°F (40°C).
The temperture is so different from the rim to the river. We hiked to the bottom (from the South Rim) a few years ago in October. At the top it was cold. All the way down we were putting excess cloths in our packs. At the bottom we were in shorts and t-shirts...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Poll added

I added a poll to gauge interest. The date is the date when I plan to be there. If it doesnt work for folks, I would be all for it being on another date even if I cant attend.