Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2009, 12:27 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 Flying View Post
Booooo Hoooo Hooooo.... We can't make the trip after all. My better half is 5 months pregnant and has canceled all of the remaining trips. I keep telling her I will do every thing (like normal), she can even have the bed to her self. But she still says it's to hard on her. I say what ever...lol. I hope you all have a great time and enjoy the great weather your going to have.
Congratulations on the expected new 'Streamer'. We'll wait and see him/her at the first gathering after her/his arrival. We took our first born, Tiffany, camping (tent) 6 weeks after her arrival. Tiffany, just had her 38th birthday.
Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
Well....we are still planning to meet the group at Gurnsey Creek! The plan now is to try and head up there on Aug 4th (a day early), so we can assist Neil, Lynn, and Lizzy with the responsibility of "greeting."

Just curious...what route are most folks using to get there? I was just thinking of heading to Chico via Hwy 65/70, then taking Hwy 32 up to Hwy 44.
hi dee,

that's great you are going to assist neil with the greeting duties. cam and i will be rolling in on wednesday around noon or so. i use to live in chico and hwy 32 is the way in went to gurnsey. its an easy drive with the trailer. see you soon!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We (I) am experiencing some trip preparation frustrations . Our vintage (classic) tow vehicle lacks the proper temp and pressure gauges. Since the Buick is 95% original (even the engine is original...never 'worked' on) I never wanted to 'violate' it with after market accessories. Although the car has never really had problems I begining to feel the need for the gauges. Water temp and oil pres. gauges are in but the transmission temp gauge installation has hit a snag for the lack of a fitting. I have the car jacked up, trans oil drained and pan off to mount the temp sending in it. I took the sending unit and pan to several places to have a fitting welded into it but haven't found one yet. Placerville isn't such a small town that such a small item isn't available. Gonna make the rounds again tomorrow. I changed the oil while the car is 'up in the air'. Our plan is to take off Sunday to.....
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #64
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Neil,

The installation of those guages is a very good idea. I recently installed an exhaust temp guage on the diesel truck and I was surprised when I saw how easily the temp got up to 1200*F. Without the guage I would have flown up the mountains without a care in the world at 1400*F risking a melted piston...

Hopefully you can find a shop to simply weld in that temp fitting. There might even be a threaded fitting to install on the line just exiting the transmission. Good luck and have a great trip!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Neil,

The installation of those guages is a very good idea. I recently installed an exhaust temp guage on the diesel truck and I was surprised when I saw how easily the temp got up to 1200*F. Without the guage I would have flown up the mountains without a care in the world at 1400*F risking a melted piston...

Hopefully you can find a shop to simply weld in that temp fitting. There might even be a threaded fitting to install on the line just exiting the transmission. Good luck and have a great trip!

Vinnie
Did that this morning. I'm torquing the pan bolts next. Had to stop...it's hot outside still. Boy there sure are BIG thunderheads over the eastern hills/mountains. That's making it a bit humid here. Looks like next weeks Cararally will have some cooler weather.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 08-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Hey, Dan, I noticed on a map of 32 from Chico to Gurnsey that the road has some squiggly road lines. Kinda like maybe some road switchbacks. Switchbacks I can handle. I just need a heads-up. If you say the road is ok I won't worry. Also I noticed on the Gurnsey website that Golden Passports aren't honored for group campsites. If that's the case and we are 3 - 4 days early we may stay in a 'normal' campsite and move to Trout when you guys arrive. Warbler 5 if you come early and we aren't in Trout that's why. Hey....half price is a difference. I wonder why the GPs aren't good for group sites? Strange, but with the cutbacks I will roll with it my way.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 08-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
hey neil,

the days when i traveled hwy 32 were before i was towing but as i remember, the road is pretty easy. it's a little twisty but so are all the roads getting up the mountains. don't know why the GP isn't honored at the group site. anyway, glad you got the gauges working and your ready to go. i am leaving soon so this is my last post till red bluff. cam is waiting for me. here is a pic he sent me from durango rv park. the heat is gone so perfect timing for a stay in red bluff.

safe travels everyone and see you at gurnsey in the trout loop!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	84805  

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Lynn, Lizzy and I are set up in site 16 at Gurnsey Creek. Weather is pleasant in the 80s. The camp host wouldn't let us into Trout Loop because another group is in there now. We probably will put the top down and tour Lassen while we await you all. Very few campers in here so anyone coming early should have a spot until Trout is available.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gurnsey Creek Campground.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	84842  
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 08-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Green With Envy!

Lynn and Neil- What a great spot!

Mark and I have not taken the Aluminati out since Casini Ranch and would love to be where you are. Next year, I'm promising myself that we'll take some road trips. We had to pass on a stay with Doorgunner and Linda Lu at Sugar Pine Point this week. Can't have fun when there's work, so...we'll have to wait.

Please say, "Hi" to everyone at the Lava Beds. Throw a virgin into Mt Lassen for us! Kidding!!!-Karin

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Lynn, Lizzy and I are set up in site 16 at Gurnsey Creek. Weather is pleasant in the 80s. The camp host wouldn't let us into Trout Loop because another group is in there now. We probably will put the top down and tour Lassen while we await you all. Very few campers in here so anyone coming early should have a spot until Trout is available.
Neil
I am eating my heart out, Neil! It looks gorgeous there.... See you on Tuesday!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #71

1965 26' Overlander
Hat Creek , California
Sorry

It looks like Char and I will miss you at Gurnsey. Saturday we had a thunder storm with over 200 dry ligtning strikes. I spent last night and today fighting fires instead of working on the Airstream. We reassemble tomorrow morning to try to stop the Brown Fire from crossing route 89. I would recommend you don't count on going through Hat Creek, Old Station or Cassel. I think the roads east of Bogart are OK. If we can ,we will try to catch up at the Lava Beds. Still looking forward to picking your brains. Thanks Bob
LeapingTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
I just read about the Brown fire. Wish you the best, Char and Bob. That seems like a good population in the Cassel area. So many lightning strikes doesn't sound good.
It seems to me the only way to get to Lava Beds is via hwy 139 out of Susanville? I found it 4 miles less from Susanville to Pittville on hwy 139, versus hwy 44. Assuming hwy 139 doesn't have fire closures. Those fires seem to be further up off of hwy 395.
Sure wish I could join you all.
Anita
Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Quote:
Lynn, Lizzy and I are set up in site 16 at Gurnsey Creek....
Neil
So, Neil, what route did you take to get there? After talking to my CSU Chico son, Michael, who will be joining us, he thought Hwy 32 was somewhat narrow and suggested Hwy 36 out of Redding. I would guess that Dan and Cam will be heading in via that route on Wednesday. I would prefer NOT to be the one reporting on a route that should not be used by someone towing an Airstream. However, it's hard for me to believe that it could be worse than Hwy 1 north of Jenner!

Temps in Sac are in the low 80's today, as well....

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Take 36. 32 is steep and winding in places. The road is very good, however. Lynn, Lizzy and I spent the day in Lassen. Very enjoyable except when I put the top down this morning. The rear window shattered! Hope we don't have rain in the next 2 weeks. After Lava Beds we go to Carmel. See you soon. It's nice here.Neil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lassen.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	84894  
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 08-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Thanks!

Quote:
Take 36. 32 is steep and winding in places. The road is very good, however. Lynn, Lizzy and I spent the day in Lassen. Very enjoyable except when I put the top down this morning. The rear window shattered! Hope we don't have rain in the next 2 weeks. After Lava Beds we go to Carmel. See you soon. It's nice here.Neil
Thanks for confirming my route!

Lassen is a gorgeous park! We go there every year, usually for 10 days or so, and almost always in August. Back in the mid-1970's, I used to tent camp at Lavabeds....October was my month of choice....partly because the kids are all back in school by then ;-)

Sorry to hear about your window....I think we are clear for no rain in the mountains, but Carmel's fog may be another story!

See you tomorrow!

Dee, Paul, and Bailey

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We have arrived at Eagles Nest RV Park near Lava Beds. I now have a windshield as well as a rear convertible window to replace. A truck traveling in the opposite direction flicked up a boulder....sure sounded like it was....and it as a direct hit at the top of our windshield. Got a large starburst that is running gradually down in front of the steering wheel. The good thing is that if this 'boulder' was 2" higher it would have hit the Airstream. I can have a windshield replaced easier.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Eagles Nest RV Park.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	85042  
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #77
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
We have arrived at Eagles Nest RV Park near Lava Beds. I now have a windshield as well as a rear convertible window to replace. A truck traveling in the opposite direction flicked up a boulder....sure sounded like it was....and it as a direct hit at the top of our windshield. Got a large starburst that is running gradually down in front of the steering wheel. The good thing is that if this 'boulder' was 2" higher it would have hit the Airstream. I can have a windshield replaced easier.
Neil
Oh Neil.. that sucks.

This has been a tough trip for the convertible... Have a good time otherwise.. glass can be replaced.

Say hello for us..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Weather is gorgeous at Eagle's Nest RV Park....mid-70's. We have a total of 5 Airstreamers that caravaned from Gurnsey Creek campground, near Lassen's south entrance, to Eagle's Nest....it was sure great to travel Hwy 395 with aluminum in front of me and aluminum as far as I could see behind me!!! It has been fun renewing friendships and making new friends, as well.

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Sunday already and as Dee reported the weather is geat. Here are photos...mostly at the Eagles Nest RV Park. Obviously if you have been following this thread you know that I broke the rear convertible window to which Lizzy has taken advantage of. The remaining photos are of the usual rally type.
Neil.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Doggy window.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	85097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagles Nest RV Park.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	85098