Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What is your first choice for location and date?
Jamaica State Park, VT 8/27 - 8/28 4 20.00%
Jamaica State Park, VT 9/11 - 9/12 0 0%
Jamaica State Park, VT 9/17 - 9/18 2 10.00%
Jamaica State Park, VT 10/1 - 10/2 2 10.00%
Jamaica State Park, VT 8/27 - 8/28 and NJ 10/1 - 10/2 4 20.00%
TBD, NJ 10/1 - 10/2 3 15.00%
No preference but will attend when decision is made 4 20.00%
Other (please specify) 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2004, 07:45 AM   #101
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funchucky1
I assume, then, that there are others attending?
My wife and I are finalizing plans now....
Sounds like fun!

um...yeah. there's about a half-dozen that I know of. very informal. rent a site, and show up.

so are you coming all the way from Illinois, or were you planning on being in the area, anyway?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:44 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Hey folks,

Still working on getting Sunday off from work so we can come. Picked up our new tow vehicle, so no longer worried about traveling the hills of Vermont. Oh, really hope we can come!!

Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:47 AM   #103
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titu & Gail Ahmed
Hey folks,

Still working on getting Sunday off from work so we can come. Picked up our new tow vehicle, so no longer worried about traveling the hills of Vermont. Oh, really hope we can come!!

Gail
well, at least post some pics of the new tug!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:50 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titu & Gail Ahmed
Hey folks,

Gail
Oh how I hate to say this but it must be said! If this is a "new" denali shouldn't you break it in before you tow. Maybe you could drive to someplace and back to get the miles on it.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:27 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
We are planning to start breaking it in this weekend. Oh, I guess you're right, that will only be one week away. Don't think we can drive 1000 miles that quick. Well, we'll have to drive the van! Well, either way, we'll try to come. Maybe for the day if nothing else!

Will post pictures soon! The rig is resting in the garage at the moment. It has so many features we need a book to figure them out! Never owned a vehicle like this before. Thanks to you all, we bought this.

Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:45 AM   #106
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Alas, I have to report that we might not make it to the rally. Our Honda Pilot is the subject of a recall, for a transmission fault. Our appointment to have it inspected is Aug 25.

If the transmission looks OK, the dealer will install an oil jet kit to prevent the problem from occurring, and we'll be on our way. But if the transmission flunks, they will have to replace it (free) and we will be grounded during the dates of the NE Forum Rally.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:02 AM   #107
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
So drop off the trailer, drop off the honda, and come camping with the car. Pick up the Honda, pick up the trailer, ect,ect
Old 08-16-2004, 12:33 PM   #108
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
So drop off the trailer, drop off the honda, and come camping with the car. Pick up the Honda, pick up the trailer, ect,ect
Yeah, I would but it's a two-hour drive from up here in the north land. Yikes!

But if you give me a ride, I'll do that!

Old 08-16-2004, 12:38 PM   #109
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
can't they do the fix after the rally? I mean...I'd think it would take a few days to actually "get" a transmission. unless they're stocking them, or something.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:05 PM   #110
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Yeah, they really are stocking the tranny, or at least they have it nearby. We called them today to check. If it needs replacing they promise to have it done five working days.

We could re-schedule for later but I am nervous. If the fault exists, it manifests itself by suddenly locking the transmission, and in the words of Honda, "a crash could occur without warning." Imagine a front-wheel drive vehicle suddenly locking up the wheels at speed ...

Admittedly this is a rare event, but I am leery of towing 200 miles R/T knowing this. (Good thing I didn't know it last weekend when I towed 600+ miles!)

Old 08-16-2004, 04:31 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
Yeah, they really are stocking the tranny, or at least they have it nearby. We called them today to check. If it needs replacing they promise to have it done five working days.

We could re-schedule for later but I am nervous. If the fault exists, it manifests itself by suddenly locking the transmission, and in the words of Honda, "a crash could occur without warning." Imagine a front-wheel drive vehicle suddenly locking up the wheels at speed ...

Admittedly this is a rare event, but I am leery of towing 200 miles R/T knowing this. (Good thing I didn't know it last weekend when I towed 600+ miles!)
Exactly, don't know.
Bring your cell phone and I'll come get you if you don't make it down and let them get the honda. Whoever heard of towing with a honda in the first place. You need an American truck.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:48 PM   #112
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Hey, Chuck.

Yeah, we were in Illinois (long story), and now we're in NY, which is where we technically live.
The Midwest rally was fun (well, we were there friday and saturday, despite the fact that the shell was off the frame of the trailer at the time).....and now we're in the northeast.

It'd be nice to see and meet some Airstreamers out here!

We're leaving in a day or two to go on a trip....Kennebunkport, Bar Harbor, Nova Scotia... and the plan was to return home the middle of next week. So we're trying to figure out if we can kill enough time to still be up in Vermont for the rally. We'll be on the road for well over a week at that point. Did I mention we have a two-year-old son? And our trailer's only 20 feet long?

I think we can do it. And I think I'll make the reservation in Jamaica tomorrow. Maybe for thursday and friday nights.

-Chuck
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:06 PM   #113
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Quote:
We're leaving in a day or two to go on a trip....Kennebunkport, Bar Harbor, Nova Scotia... and the plan was to return home the middle of next week. So we're trying to figure out if we can kill enough time to still be up in Vermont for the rally. We'll be on the road for well over a week at that point. Did I mention we have a two-year-old son? And our trailer's only 20 feet long?
Hey, sounds like a plan! Killing time should not be a problem along that route. If you are really going to Nova Scotia, I can't see how you could get back next week anyway. Just the drive to the ferry in Bar Harbor is about 300 miles from any part of NY state (take a day or two and stop in Freeport along the way), and then you can easily use up four or five days in Acadia National Park, and a week in Nova Scotia. Hit the beaches along the southern coast, then the historic sites in Halifax, then Cape Breton or a side trip to PEI. If you've got the time, enjoy! You're lucky to have it!

We have spent nearly 40 nights in our 17-foot Caravel this calendar year alone -- with an active 4-year-old -- so I'm here to tell ya it only gets better with practice. The trip to International was 17 days straight and we didn't want to come back.

I hope we'll see you in Jamaica, full of great stories from your trip, a loaded digicam, and a bit of suntan!

Old 08-16-2004, 08:59 PM   #114
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
Hey, sounds like a plan! Killing time should not be a problem along that route. If you are really going to Nova Scotia, I can't see how you could get back next week anyway. Just the drive to the ferry in Bar Harbor is about 300 miles from any part of NY state (take a day or two and stop in Freeport along the way), and then you can easily use up four or five days in Acadia National Park, and a week in Nova Scotia. Hit the beaches along the southern coast, then the historic sites in Halifax, then Cape Breton or a side trip to PEI. If you've got the time, enjoy! You're lucky to have it!

We have spent nearly 40 nights in our 17-foot Caravel this calendar year alone -- with an active 4-year-old -- so I'm here to tell ya it only gets better with practice. The trip to International was 17 days straight and we didn't want to come back.

I hope we'll see you in Jamaica, full of great stories from your trip, a loaded digicam, and a bit of suntan!
Well, we are on Long Island.....so we are taking a 10am ferry to New London, CT on wednesday. Then we are spending that night at a campgaound in Kennebunkport, ME. Shouldn't be a bad drive.
We then have reservations in Acadia for thursday, friday, and saturday nights. And the plan is to stay sunday night, too, I expect.
Then, on to Nova Scotia. It seems that the ferry is VERY expensive for vehicles - something like $400 EACH WAY for the truck & trailer...! That is WAY too costly. So we weren't planning on spending too much time in NS for that reason (we hadn't even decided if we're going to take the truck there or not).

Anywho, we figured we'd meander back down this way after that. But I guess we're really in no rush.
I'm sure you're right, we'll have no difficulty spending the week up northish, then getting to Jamaica thursday. I guess we'll spend a night or two there....Or three. We'll see what we feel like.

No one would be offended, would they? There's no interior yet in the '56 Safari, so we'll be showing up in our <shhhh!> '62 Avion!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:37 PM   #115
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Quote:
No one would be offended, would they? There's no interior yet in the '56 Safari, so we'll be showing up in our <shhhh!> '62 Avion!
Nah, this is a Forum rally, which means there aren't any rules. I think a lot of us would be curious to see your Avion anyway.

Since you're considering taking the Bar Harbor ferry to Yarmouth NS on foot, just be aware that Yarmouth is a relatively small and not highly interesting town. The best part is the fast ferry ride on The Cat, IMHO. Taking the truck will give you mobility but if you aren't staying overnight I wouldn't bother.

Have fun -- see you in Jamaica

Old 08-22-2004, 10:20 AM   #116
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Help! They're Booked!

Of course, I've waited till the last minute, and now the campground is booked.
If anyone needs to cancel (or otherwise not show up) for friday or saturday night, please let me know. We'll be in the area!

Thanks so much....
oh, yes.
We don't really have internet access, so emailing me to let me know may not be too useful.

We'd really like to go!
Thanks, all....and if we miss you all, have a GREAT time!

-Chuck
Old 08-22-2004, 11:09 AM   #117
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Of course, I've waited till the last minute, and now the campground is booked.
If anyone needs to cancel (or otherwise not show up) for friday or saturday night, please let me know. We'll be in the area!
Chuck,

You have a couple of options:

1) rluhr may not attend so perhaps you could take his spot -- rluhr, if you can let us know definitely if you are or aren't coming, that would be helpful.

2) over59 reserved an extra site -- if he hasn't already sold it to someone else, perhaps you could use that site -- over59, please reply and let us know if the site is still available

3) pam may not attend so perhaps you could take her spot -- pam, if you can let us know definitely if you are or aren't coming, that would be helpful.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 04:14 PM   #118
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Unhappy

Our site is available: #13. Sorry to say we won't be attending the rally after all. Got the front clearance lights wired and working, but no rear lights and no brakes! Jamaica SP is close enough that we may stop by and visit, depending on what else we end up doing on the weekend. Is there a potluck/ happy hour planned?

We haven't cancelled our reservation yet. If someone wants the site, let me know by Wed. Otherwise I'll just cancel it.
Doug
Old 08-22-2004, 04:53 PM   #119
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
We expect to come, but if we do cancel it will be Thursday. I'll post here if so. funchucky, I hope you can snag Cruiser's spot.

Old 08-22-2004, 08:04 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Dropping like flies you are. Offered extra site to Annz but have not heard anything.

It's available but limited to 17 feet. 13 may be larger?

I am sure there we be happy hours and cann't imagine not having a rally potluck.