Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you want to win the door prize?
I really need it. 0 0%
I want it, but I don't know why. 2 40.00%
Can I bribe the judges? 0 0%
Too ugly for me! 3 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2002, 07:58 PM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Mystic Springs Moho Rally!

I have decided that I will be offering a doorprize to one attendee at the Mystic Springs Rally.

Before you say great! read on.

I have a 19.5 steel wheel with a Bridgestone tire (regroovable) in good condition as a second spare. I feel that 2 spares is a bit redundant and am offering it up as a door prize.

The winner of the door prize will be the Motorhome Rally attendee that can come up with the best rally story, camping story, best bribe, or even a really ingenoius reason that they need a new or second spare.

Points for originality, humor or just pure b.s. will be tallied by the forum members and the award will be presented at dinner on Sat.

Of course if there is no intrest in the prize I will just leave it in my garage.

The winner of the door prize will be responsible for all taxes and must allow the forum moderator to use their handle and story in future rally posts. Once I give away the tire and wheel I will not take it back! It will be up to the winner to arrange to get it home.

So with that being said, post your entries!

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spare tire.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	67  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Ugly, ain't it?

That is one UGLY wheel. Although Floridians all know that "Tires ain't purty!"

I'm not sure if you're the winner or loser if you have to take it home from Mystic Springs. But I'll be a winner for getting it out of my garage.

Old 03-27-2002, 08:27 PM   #3
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
If I would be the lucky winner, not only would I have 2 spares, but I also would have two extra lug nut holes...
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 08:36 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Peter,

My MH has a 10 bolt rear and 5 bolt front. I assume from your post yours is different?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 03-27-2002, 08:49 PM   #5
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Yes, Brett, 8 and 8.
The 10 lug rim might be a hard to find item.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:57 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
AHHA! The door prize is even better than we thought! It could be a RARE piece perfect for your collection!

Well, if the wheel won't work someone may still want to upgrade their spare. This tire has not been regrooved, and does not need to be. I would say we are looking at 80% left of the original rubber.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 03-28-2002, 09:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I had a medium sized screw in my tire that I just got removed. It did not puncture the tire! That was the last repair standing between us and the rally! Filling the gas and putting in some water (in the right spots!)(not 80 gallons of water) for the trip.

By the way, I was wearing shorts in that photo but it was so cold the night before that the host shut off the water and drained the lines at 6:00p.m.! I did have my first hot shower in my 345 at Mystic Springs so it will always have a special place in my heart!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 09:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Fred,

I must have missed something somewhere else. I just have to ask...where did the 80 gallons of water go? Please say it wasn't in your fuel tank.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Classic Motorhome Rally #2 Directions

From I-10, go north on Highway 29. If you are going north, it will be a right turn. Watch for the WBCCI wooden arrows.

There is a Williams Truck Stop at I-10 and Hwy 29 for those needing fuel. For those coming through Tallahassee, there is a Flying-J in Midway (just west of Tallahassee). They have the best fuel prices in the area. The exit/mile post is ROUGHLY 195.

FROM DICK AT MYSTIC SPRINGS

I don't believe that the is a mile post number (Hwy 29) but there is a large silver airstream sign at Mystic Springs Road. Additionally, as you go north toward the turn off for the park you will go through a small village called Bogie.It is just past the top of the next hill that you will see the large airstream sign at Mystic Springs Road. Hope this helps. Also hope that you have a great rally. Anything that we can do please feel free to ask.

DickM.

Yahoo MAP
http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt...et+Map=Get+Map
Old 03-31-2002, 05:30 PM   #10
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Road trip check

Engine oil:
Generator oil:
Transmission fluid:
Radiator:
Power steering fluid:
Brake fluid:
Windshield washer fluid:
Get Fuel:
Tire pressure:
Spare tire pressure:
Front Air bags: 55psi
Rear Airbags visual:
Natural Gas:
Fresh water tank: 1/4 full max
Turn water pump on until stops
Empty main and waste tanks:
Check driving lights, turn signal and brake light:
License plate light working today?:
Wash windshield:
Check awning:
Unplug power cord:
Bins locked?:
Gas off?:
Kick tires:
Door locked?:
Fridge on 12V
Lock fridge door:
Vents closed?:
All inside bins closed?:
TV safe?:
Sliding Bath door in locked position?:
Everyone strapped in?:
Take off!
Activate co-pilots rattle control mode:
Old 04-08-2002, 07:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Motorhome Rally - Post-Rally Debriefing

ok, I'm the first one on but I had the shortest distance to travel.

We had seven (7) classic motorhomes at Mystic Springs and oh what a site! Everyone had a great time and learned a ton. We had a riviting class, awning school, parade of home, and some get down and dirty underneath stuff. I'm sure photos will be coming.

We had 2 coaches from Florida, 2 from Texas, 1 from Georgia, 1 from South Carolina, and 1 from Indiana.

Peter now understands my hose reel 'problem'.
My front air bags don't work!
Charles' 'to do' list is now many times longer!
Dr. Joe wants more room (coach envy is against the rules).

Here's the first photo (minus one coach)!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12_asr_01 all2.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	87  
Old 04-08-2002, 08:45 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

I'm so jealous!! I cannot wait to see the rest of the pictures!

Welcome back!
eraffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 09:49 AM   #13
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Lightbulb Posting pictures from the rally!

I have setup a category on AirstreamPhotos.com for the 2002 Mystic Springs MH rally. If you all upload your pictures to the same place, they will be well organized. You can also post comments on AirstreamPhotos.com and they will count towards your Rivet counts!

Once they are uploaded you can link to them in a post here in the forums. To learn more about including multiple photos in a post, please visit How to include multiple pictures in a post! thread.

I look forward to seeing & hearing all this great rally!

If you anyone has trouble uploading your images, please post your problems in the "How-to" section. Lets not clutter this thread with "off topic" photo posting questions. I may need to change some settings to allow uploading photos from your digital cameras easier. Currently the largest image you can upload is 1024 x 1024 pixels. This is to save server disk space.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 03:52 PM   #14
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Awesome, just awesome!!
We just landed in Austin, 1500 miles with no problems. We had to drive right through a massive storm in Louisiana and found a lot of flooding on the other side of it.
It will take a while to digest this adventure.
After seeing all these fine coaches and meeting some truly great people, we are proud to be owners of an Airstream Motorhome!
Kudos to Fred and Alan for picking Mystic Springs Airstream Park, which I believe every Airstream owner should experience.
When we drove up to Mystic Springs on Friday afternoon(after searching for shrimps for hours), the park host Rona and Sandy jumped out of their Airstream Trailer and rang a bell, welcoming us.
Our 1979 Excella had a very small cooling leak at the top of radiator, which I promptly wire brushed, cleaned with denatured alcohol and fixed with JB Weld (it worked!!) The drip of brake fluid, I noticed at the master Cylinder (scary!), was caused by some rust at the lid gasket.(fixed)
There was only one other MH in the park at that time. It was Cliff from Indiana with his beautiful 1987 345. After I set up camp, I immediately started to dismantle the 345.
It was rather disappointing to find nothing wrong with it, except the door bell wasn't working.
How Cliff can drive without a working door bell is beyond me.
In the early evening Charles and Ernie from Houston, Texas descended on Mystic Springs in a
1989 345LE. Charles called the trip the shake-down test. His coach was in perfect condition, except his rear air bags were ready to blow any time.
After dark, Edie and Brett arrived at the park with their 1976 Argosy. The park hosts stayed up to welcome them.
Alan and family in their 1982 280 came in way passed midnight, but we never heard them.
By Saturday morning, we were 5 MH's strong and everytime I looked down the row, it send chills down my spine!
Saturday afternoon Fred and family arrived in their 1985 345, hose reel fixed, 0 psi in the front air bags.
By late afternoon, the last missing MH founds its way to Mystic Springs. Dr Joe and Winn in their rare 1984 270 excella. Dr Joe must have felt like he was pulling into a pit stop at the Daytona 500.
As soon as he parked his coach, his exhaust pipe was remounted, his awning fixed and made operable and was given general shake down.
What a great experience!
More picture at:
http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photos/index.pl?stype=1&thumb=1&cat=511
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	welcome.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	93  
Old 04-09-2002, 05:44 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Peter,

After you left we all felt it was time to go and were all gone by 11:00 AM.

Now all we need to do is schedule a rally for next month to fix all the stuff that went wrong on the way home!!

I know what the problem was. My coach felt neglected at the rally and just wants some attention

It is good to be home but Edie is already asking "Where are we going next weekend?"

Had a blast with all of the attendees and look forward to the second "Classic Airstream Motorhome Rally".......BTW where and when is the next rally?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 04-10-2002, 10:13 AM   #16
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Post-Rally Comments

Arrived back late yesterday after passing through considerable rain in the Augusta, Georgia area, without mechanical, environmental, road hazard or physical problems or mis-adventures.
In summary, this Rally was AWESOME!! we immensely enjoyed meeting everyone in attendance. We were particularly impressed with Peter's instinctive mechanical aptitudes and sensitivies to the characteristics of each of these unique vehicles. Each vehicle was uniquely different from each other vehicle at the rally, although, the shared commonality with the "Air Stream Motorhome" Group as a whole.
We love the little Rally Momento which Cindy made for each of the vehicles in attendance, and "Big Girl;s" is displayed over her dash. The conferences, discussions, and "Pot Luck" were Great!
The provided fellowship, technical information exchange and update in our knowledge base were tremendously helpful.
This first Rally was one for the Books, a never to be forgotten experience. We are glad we were able to attend, and God Willing, we won't miss any in the future. Looking forward to receiving the attendance listing with addresses, etc., which Charlie is forwarding to each of the attendees by e-mail.
Take Care and God Bless,
Dr Joe and Winn
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 05:17 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Thumbs up 1st Classic Airstream Motorhome Rally

I didn't really know what to expect when we set off for the rally but I was opened to anything. When we pulled into Mystic Springs and Rona and Sandy our camp hosts rang the bell I knew I was home. The camp sits on the edge of the river in the middle of a dense forest, except for the fool in the jet boat on Sunday the only sounds were from birds and happy campers and the occasional train that rumbled by.
By Saturday afternoon the Mystic Seven had assembled, each a unique and mystical
vehicle carrying people who were anxious to share their stories and knowledge. To hear how each coach found it's family was great, from those who did research and flew all over to find just the right one to those who didn't even do a test drive but bought simply because they were in love.
The guys were great the way they climbed all over each coach tweaking little problems and learning to rivet.( I know why Peter spends so much time on his, it was very evident when we drove through that storm with out a hitch he's outside right now under the hood) And Brett, remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease, you just gotta squeak louder next time and I 'm sure the pit crew will surround your vehicle and start wrenching!
I thought it was cool also that the president of the local club came out to welcome us to their park. He really made us feel like it was there for us too even tho we were not official club members(yet). They let us use their club house and all the wonderful amenities that they have obviously worked very hard for over the years. I can't wait to go back there.
Who knew that the coaches would all be so different! Who knew Cliff could cook an
Apple Brown Betty in the middle of the sticks. Who knew we'd be hanging out with a famous musician with gold albums, with a Doctor who made us all feel like we were so smart and young when it was really him that was so smart and young! With such incredible women who were also smart and funny and loving and all so artistic in making their coaches, homes. Who knew Fred and Charles had such ****py air bags! They had the biggest finest coaches in camp!
Who knew? Well we all know now and I can't wait to see all ya'all again!!!!
......one of my favorite lines I heard was when Monique said she went home and told Fred that she had seen one of those incredible Airstreams
only instead of it being pulled by a car,
it was pulling a car!
the rest is all our histories..............
CatStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 06:58 AM   #18
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Kudos

Really nice post CatStream - Flattery will get you everywhere. Dr Joe and Winn
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 09:08 PM   #19
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
I received my little Rally gift from Catstream today, since she only brought 6 to Mystic Springs.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2002, 06:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
rally reflections

We just got back to Atlanta after our rally experience, and then a few days at TopSail Hill Preserve - RV Park at Santa Rosa Beach.
Wow, what a week! We really enjoyed the rally- meeting everyone and sharing so many ideas, and tips. I appreciated all the new informations I digested. Having Peter show me how to drill out old rivets and re-rivet was a great treat. This may be old hat to some of you Airstreamers but was a new experience for me, and a good addition to the ever growing bag of "keep it alive" tricks.
We are excited about the prospect for future, and larger events.
My co-pilot and the kids all had a great weekend. Many thanks to the WBCCI in Pensacola for their hospitality.
From Mystic we visited the Naval Air and Space Museum, which is not to be missed. It is as well put together and laid out as the Smithsonian...
We then drove over to Santa Rosa Island right across from Pensacola Beach, to check in at the RV park. Well the park is in Santa Rosa Beach- which is NOT on Santa Rosa Island!! The folks there never even heard of TopSail. ..we rechecked our directions,
and drove the scenic route across the National Seashore to Destin, and just beyond to TopSail. This has got to be one of the nicest RV parks on the Planet. It has beautifully landscaped sites,
concrete pads with full hookups and cable tv. Many bike paths,hiking trails, fishing lakes, a pool, and shuttle to the beach, which is prisitine preserved sugar sand dunes. Truly beautiful.
The whole place was a treat, although we did suffer through almost 4 inches of rain in 24 hours.
The Airstream did suddenly develop a leak which soaked the carpet mid-coach even with the door, but we couldn't determine where it was coming in.First thought it was the water heater, as that area was a bit wet too, but when the rain stopped the wet areas started to dry. Not wet enought to be a big worry, but enough to be the next project on the list. I do have quite a list, but no emergencies.Will post the progress on these on our Motorhome tech page.
All in all a fine time from start to finish...and our 82 performed beautifully.(photos to be posted later)
A really big thanks to all of you attendees who made the first Motorhome Rally a memorable one.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote