Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
site pictures

Here are some more pics: one of a typical site, one of the power posts that provide electricity to 3 or 4 sites, and one of an atypical site with a mature tree on each side. The picnic tables and fire rings had temporarily been moved onto the fresh gravel so they could better sow the grass seed.

The entire campground has large mature trees. They had not leafed out when we were there, but by the first of May will hopefully be starting to provide a wonderful canopy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whit woods typ space.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	78784   Click image for larger version

Name:	whit-woods power post.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	78785  

Name:	whit-woods tight space.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	551.2 KB
ID:	78786  
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
The campground looks very nice and should provide us everything we need for a perfect rally other than nice weather>

Amy and I spoke with several rally attendees at the Kentucky rally this past weekend who have interest in attending> I am hopeful that they make reservations before the full hook up spots are filled>

For food we will bring an entertaining table side bowl smoked shrimp for Friday night and Armadillo eggs with something else tbd for Saturday>

Steve
Old 04-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Rend Lake Rally Name Badges

We're working on clip-on, laminated name badges for the Rend Lake Rally and think we have the hang of it now.

If you want a badge, please "private message" us with the number of badges you need and the name for each badge. Attached is an example. We are limited to the amount of space for names on the badge.

Thanks!
maccamper

And, thanks to moderator, Janet, for sending the pic file of the logo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rend Lake Badge eg.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	78889  
Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I think they look fantastic.

You know the Medic family will want three for us, and I think you pretty much have our names committed to memory

Let me know if we can help in any way.

Steve
Old 04-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Update on The Atomic Home

Steve,

Here's an update on The Atomic Home that I mentioned in an earlier post about things to do in Benton, IL.

The good news is that they are still in business. The not so good news is that they are relocating to Murphysboro, IL and won't be open for business till the middle or end of May. That will be after the Rend Lake Rally.

We were in Benton a couple of weeks ago and learned that The Atomic Home had moved. This afternoon I had a call from one of the owners with an update on their new location. Murphysboro is about an hour's drive from Whittington Woods.

The new store address is 1424 Walnut St, Murphysboro, IL. They'll be just a couple of blocks from the original 17th Street Bar and Grill -- home of Mike Mills' award winning BBQ.

Nancy Mac

The Atomic Home | The Atomic Home
17th Street Bar & Grill - World Champion Barbecue
Old 04-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
UGH!!!!!

One of the things I wanted to do the most was pay a visit to that shop to get trinkets for my Flying Cloud!

On a side note, I use a promotional company for my Leak testing business, and I am having some momento magnets made for everyone who attends. I am using the same graphic that you are using for the name tags.

Steve
Old 04-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I just got a call from the Benton Evening News about the rally. They are going to do an article on the rally, and want tocome out Saturday during trailer tours. I am glad to see that there is this much interest about our quaint midwest rally.

Just got the trophy for the armadillo egg cook off, and some small momentos for everyone.

Only a week away!

Steve
Old 04-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Cool, very cool !
Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
With everyone posting so much (Sarcasm ), I forgot to see what people would like to bring for pot luck items.

We're bringing Bowl Smoked shrimp on Friday night, but for Saturday we are bringing Armadillo Eggs and a specialty item never made by us before.....the BACON EXPLOSION.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Potluck Food

Oh my heavens! Bacon Bacon Bacon Pork Pork Pork ... it will be fun watching that all come together!

Friday night:
We'll bring Italian Roast Beef, rolls, toppings (horseradish, mustard, peppers, onions, cheeses) for a roast beef sub bar.

Saturday night:
We'll bring baked beans (based on Mike Mills' 17th Street Bar & Grill Baked Beans) and armadillo eggs.

Here's a sneak preview of maccamper's armadillo eggs. He did a practice batch a couple of days ago. The lizards are keeping an eye on the armadillo eggs

Nancy Mac
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sliced egg and bowl.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	79277  
Old 04-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Potluck Foods

Decisions --- Decisions -- Decisions -- I have so many potluck dishes that I have wanted to try making this season so both of mine will be new to my repetiore.

Friday Night:
Steamburgers -- a variation of the Maid Rite or the Loose Meat sandwiches that were served at Roseanne and Tom's Cafe in Iowa. I am working from a recipe developed by a very close friend in the Quad Cities.

Saturday Night:
Sweet and Sour Meatballs -- a variation of Sweet and Sour Pork only with beef and pork meatballs. Served over rice for a taste tempting treat. I will be making these from a recipe that was developed by a friend from my hometown.

I will be carrying my new automatic doughnut maker so we will see how this thing works. The literature claims that it makes up to six dozen mini doughnuts per hour -- I haven't tested it yet so I am not promising anything from this machine -- but I do want to give it a trial.

Kevin

P.S.: Hopefull, I won't have what has become my usual first camp-out of the season trials -- it is looking like a rushed week but barring anything unforeseen, I should be on schedule or a little ahead. My towcar has to go in for an oil change and speedometer repair, and I am hoping that my new tires arrive for the Overlander before my scheduled departure (its current Marthons are five years old). Both the towcar and trailer need a thorough cleaning -- almost insures that we will have the predicted rain Monday through Thursday!.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
I will be carrying my new automatic doughnut maker so we will see how this thing works. The literature claims that it makes up to six dozen mini doughnuts per hour -- I haven't tested it yet so I am not promising anything from this machine -- but I do want to give it a trial.

Kevin
Holy Cow!!!!!

With the free doughnuts from the campground every morning we'll be loaded to the gills. I know we are arriving on Thursday evening. Anyone else?

Steve
Old 04-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Arriving Thursday

Kevin -- wow, we're anxious to help you try out that new doughnut machine and sample your new potluck additions. We'll bring a bottle of Canyon Gold.

Steve, we'll be driving down on Thursday, too. Don't know what time we'll hit the road. We'll take US 51 south and just south of Centralia we'll pick up Interstate 64 and then take Interstate 57 on down to Benton. That's our usual route when we head to Southern Illinois.

A Travel Center of America is at Mt. Vernon off Interstate 57 & 64 milemarker 95. It's an easy in and out for filling the gas tank and has clean restrooms.

See y'all soon! Travel safely everyone.

Nancy Mac
Old 04-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
The newspaper is planning on an article this week, and then wants to meet early on Friday morning to get info for Saturday's activities. While I told her that this rally is not drawing a ton of participants like many others, people interested in airstreams would be welcome to stop by for any info.

7AM is when they want to meet on Friday...anyone going to have coffee ready?

Steve
Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
There is a chance, very small, that I'll be able to stop by on my way through back to Mississippi. If I do, it'll likely be late Friday afternoon. I was planning on stopping be and doing the Airstream factory tour, but there won't be any production going on on Friday so maybe on my trip back here later on this summer I'll do the tour.

Steve, do you think that the campground will give me any grief for stopping by for the afternoon?

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Brian,

Are you just planning on stopping by for a hello, or are you planning to stay overnight? Either way it won't be an issue since the park is bending over backwards to make us happy, especially after this news article was brought up.

Just let me know your plans, and we'll take care of it all.

Steve
Old 04-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Coffee and jalapenos . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
The newspaper is planning on an article this week, and then wants to meet early on Friday morning to get info for Saturday's activities. While I told her that this rally is not drawing a ton of participants like many others, people interested in airstreams would be welcome to stop by for any info.

7AM is when they want to meet on Friday...anyone going to have coffee ready?

Steve
Steve, we're usually up and about early. Laird will brew extra coffee on Friday morning. I'll have a pot of hot tea in case anyone is a tea drinker like I am.

On another note, we bought our jalapenos while ago for the armadillo eggs. Meijer grocery had a sign in the produce section saying that the jalapenos were grown in the US.

Nancy mac
Old 04-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
MMMMMmmmmmm.....Smell that smoke.

First batch just went into the smoker.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pre smoke.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	79433   Click image for larger version

Name:	in da smoker.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	79434  

Old 04-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
and now for some prizes...

The trophy for best armadillo eggs, and a nice custom coffee mug as a door prize.

Isn't that armadillo awesome!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plaque.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	79438   Click image for larger version

Name:	cup 1.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	79439  

Name:	cup 2.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	79440  
Old 04-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
The trophy for best armadillo eggs, and a nice custom coffee mug as a door prize.

Isn't that armadillo awesome!

Steve
Awesome, indeed! Most impressive, Steve.

maccamper likes the trophy a lot --- says he'll try his best to win it!

The coffee/tea mugs are neat, too.

nancy mac

Tags
illinois, midwest, rally, rend lake