Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Retro ...

The Atomic Home is a really cool shop and the items in it really are genuine. They aren't newly made to look retro.

You'll have fun picking out things for your Flying Cloud.

The owners are nice people, too.
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Even more places

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Nancy!

I will add a few of my favorites as well -- I am about 55 miles South of Whittington.

. . . .

There are many other attractions. The above are among my favorites where I take visitors to my home.

Kevin
Thank you, Kevin! And there are even more places that we haven't listed.

Nancy
Old 02-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Midwest Rally/Rend Lake Rally Prizes

soldiermedic, we'll be in Western Kentucky the weekend of the "Branson Spring is in the AirForums" rally so we're sorry that we'll miss that rally. Gosh, darned, guess we'll also miss our opportunity to win the much heralded sombrero/dip/appetizer fiesta server prize.

However, in May for the Midwest Rally prize table, we will contribute a sampling of Darn Hot Peppers products from Rancho Bella Vista in Cobden, Illinois Darn Hot Peppers: All natural fresh and dried specialty hot peppers. They have wonderful locally grown dried peppers, seasoning, flavored honeys and jams and salsas.

We'll see you all at Rend Lake in May or Prairie Pines at Rantoul in June or Branson in the Fall.

Safe travels,

maccamper crew of 2
Old 02-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I LOVE HOT PEPPERS.

I gotta win that prize.

Looks like this rally is very slow coming together, but should pick up speed now that warmer weather is on the horizon. I was at the St. Louis RV show today and talked to alot of campgrounds about rallies in MO and IL.

Steve
Old 02-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
St Charles , Missouri
I will be there, but wife will be on a retreat that weekend. Might be boys weekend with AJ the dog. I am going to try to make it, job searching right now, so it will depend on that. I gave a guy your card Steve. He has a late model Stream that has a leak that Bill Thomas is having problems with. His name is Bill.
Air Hamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #26
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
FYI

I just heard on the news tonight that our new improved governor is re-opening seven state parks due to more people doing "stay-cations"

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but if there's a chance that Moraine View is one to reopen.

An announcement is due tomorrow 2/26/09

Jonathan
Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Lev,

This rally is being held five weeks before Morraine View with the respect that Morraine View was still going to be held. This is no way a rally to compete against it or to take its' place. We just wanted to offer a rally for midwest streamers in May since there wasn't anything going on.

Steve
Old 02-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #28
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Sorry about that.

I think maybe I posted that in the wrong place.

J
Old 03-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Argys most definitely can come ...

driverjohnlh, you asked if Argys can come to the Midwest/Rend Lake Rally in May. You betcha they can!

Looking forward to seeing you at the rally -- hope your "maybe" becomes a definite "yes, will attend."

maccamper crew of 2
Old 03-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
We have a little less than two months to go before this rally is set to happen. I'm going to promote the rally when I am at the Kentucky rally the 3rd weekend in April. This location is a great central spot that most mid westerners should be able to get to.

If we don't spend the two weeks after the KY rally in Florida, I will plan to smoke a few boston butts, and bring them for the potluck.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Midwest Rally and Rend Lake, IL

It must be Spring Fever time! The traditional start for me is when I have my first Rally reservation arrive that is one other than the WBCCI International Rally reservation which tends to arrive too early to cause much thought of Spring. Today, I received my reservation confirmation from Whittington Woods -- looking forward to the rally -- it will be the first time that I have had my Overlander out and about in a little more than three years.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Great news Kevin,

We'll see you there!

Steve
Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Only a month away from the rally. I am hoping we pick up some people in the next couple of weeks as we get closer, but spots are limited. Maccamper crew of two have graciously offered to make laminated name tags for all rally attendees..thanks alot you two.

Friday night potluck and on Saturday night we will have an Armadillo Egg THROWDOWN. Armadillo eggs are a piece of cheese and slice of jalapeno that are rolled up in sausage to resemble an egg. You can bake, fry, or smoke them. I'm looking into an Armadillo trophy right now, so get your reservations made!

Steve
Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Armadillo Egg THROWDOWN

Hey Steve ... you're on! Count us in for the Armadillo Egg THROWDOWN! Laird is bringing the Backwoods smoker ... and says "our eggs will be smokin' ....!"

maccamper crew of 2
Old 04-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Nancy

You and Laird trying to make it two in a row ehh? Hopefully there will be enough people to give you a run for your money!

Steve
Old 04-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Well ... we were thinking that an Armadillo Egg trophy would look mighty nice beside our 2008 Branson Chili Trophy .... smile

Nancy Mac
Old 04-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Site visit to Whittington Woods ... looks great

Hey Steve,

We're in Southern Illinois this week and thought we stop in and visit Whittington Woods Campground. We were most impressed. Here's our "site report." You did a great job finding this location.

Mary and Reed, the owners, are making good progress in having the campground ready for guests. They have owned another campground in the past and are new owners of Whittington Woods. They are excited about our rally in May and hope to have rallies be a large part of their business. They were most intrigued when we told them about the Armadillo Egg Throwdown.

All the sites have a fresh layer of gravel and are fairly even and level. Grass seed has been sown in the landscaped areas and has begun to sprout all over the campground.

The main shower/restrooms have been newly remodeled with all new ceramic tile and new fixtures. The secondary bath house should have the toilets and sinks spruced up by the time of the rally, with the showers to be done soon after.

The pavilion is spacious and equipped with a 120V volt duplex outlet on each side. Outlets are mounted fairly high, well above the reach of young children. The picnic tables are large and spaced with ample distance between them. About 30 feet from the pavilion there is a fire ring of stone-size concrete pieces loosely assembled on the ground.

Power and water are distributed from central pylons, serving 4 different surrounding sites. Depending upon which site you are in, and the length of your standard power cord and water hose, you may need a short extension.

Most of the back-in sites around the pavilion are fairly deep and angled nicely. There are a couple sites where mature trees are close to the site entry, and there is one short site that is at a right angle to the drive. You may wish to check out the sites when you arrive and make sure you are comfortable with getting your rig into it. There are plenty of spacious sites available.

There is no problem with having beer and/or wine out and available at the open house or during activities. There are reasonable guidelines for quiet hours and decorum.

Each site has its own picnic table and small fire ring. Water is supplied from one of the local communities and is not on-site well water. When we were there, an electrician was checking the power pylons, and the wi-fi signal was strong and clear. There is no cable TV, but local stations can be pulled in on a standard antenna.

We'll post some pics we took when we get back home after Easter weekend.

Laird and Nancy
Old 04-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Nancy,

That's quite a recon you did on the campgrounds. Mighty nice of you to do that. We're three weeks away from the rally and still have PLENTY of spots available. Perhaps we can get some of the fine folks who attend Morraine View or the Kentucky rally to come out since it is a pretty centralized location.

Perhaps Nancy can post a picture of the really cool name tages being made for the event!

Steve
Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Friday and Saturday night food

Rend Lake Rally is almost here!

Laird and I will arrive at Whittington Woods on Thursday 4/30 so we'll have plenty of time to fix Italian Roast Beef for a "roast beef sub bar" for the informal potluck Friday night. We'll bring rolls, toppings (horseradish, mustard, peppers, onions, cheeses) so everyone can build their own sub.

For Saturday night, we'll bring baked beans (based on Mike Mills' 17th Street Bar & Grill Baked Beans). And, maccamper will be doing Armadillo Eggs for the throwdown for sure.

We're looking forward to the rally!

maccamper crew of 2
Old 04-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
pictures

I am not sure how many pictures I can cram into one posting, so here are a couple of the pavilion at Whittington Woods. One shows the "back" side of the pavilioin and a small fire ring, the other is of the "front" side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whit-woods pav and fire ring.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	452.4 KB
ID:	78782   Click image for larger version

Name:	whit-woods pavilion.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	78783  

Tags