Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2004, 03:32 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Mackinaw City Rally

Hi folks, well its time to look at the longer rally we were planning in Mackinaw City Michigan. Mackinaw City is a great area to vacation in. Lots to do and see, cool temperatures, nice campground with a view of the water, bridge and island.

First the campground:

http://www.campmackinaw.com/

Mackinaw Mill Creek campground. Full hookup 30 amp sites.
Things to do for the kids, playground, swimming, rec hall, food, etc. Check out the web site for some nice pictures. They also have a video on the campground that you can view. Bring your bicycles!

Dates: Arrival date is Sunday July 11th and departure is July 17th.

Cost: For 30 amp full hookup sites the cost is at follows:

1-3 persons $27 per night
4 persons $29 per night
5 persons $31 per night
6 persons $33 per night

Note this additional information. Your deposit will be one day's stay plus $3.00. There will be a $10 charge against your deposit if you cancel. Reservation changes will be charged $2. Your deposit will be credited against your total bill when you register upon arrival.

I know this might be early for something in July but like all things if we work ahead on this, our possiblity of staying together is greatly enhanced. Quite honestly even if we are not next to each other, the campground is still small enough for us to get around.

Note that you need to inform the campground you are with the "Canavera group" to insure that we will be clustered together.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:02 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We can meet up on Monday the 12th, but would have to leave by the 14th.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:03 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Jack,
It is a large campground with 600 sites (200 full hook up), it is also a busy week as GM is on vacation the first two weeks in July.
We are planing on being there Sunday but will be leaving on Wednesday or Thursday, so I will make my own reservations when you submit the group reservation in hopes I will be close to the group.
Jim
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I think Ford is also down the same weeks, so you better reserve early.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:47 AM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
It's Reservation time!

OK folks, I just called the campground and got the ball rolling for Mackinaw. At this time there is plenty of room at the campground. I have made my reservation and will be there from July 11th and will depart on July 17th.

You can reserve either by the Internet site, mail, or call. The number for the campground is 231-436-5584. The web site is www.campmackinaw.com.

Make sure you note on your reservation form in the comment area that you are with the "Canavera Group". This will get us as close together as possible. If you call for reservations make sure you understand that the campground phone will only be taking reservations on Saturdays till 4PM eastern time through the month of April. They will be taking calls every day beginning May 1st. Be sure you let them know the group name if you make a telephone reservation.

As noted by others this is a busy vacation time of year so the sooner you make your reservation the better assured that you will be able to get in the campground and camped with the group. Since we are handling this individually it is much like the weekend rally in that first come first served. They will not guarantee to keep us together if you make your reservation at the last moment.

Okay the ball is in your court! Go for it. Hope to see you in July in sunny cool Mackinaw City Michigan!

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-10-2004, 08:29 AM   #6

Fenton , Missouri
For those of you not familiar with the Mackinaw City area, I listed a few web sites that will give you a flavor of the area. Lots of places to go for day trips plus a campground with lots to do.

http://www.mackinawcity.com/

http://www.uptravel.com/

http://www.mackinacisland.org/

http://www.saultstemarie.com/index2.html

http://travel.michigan.org/locations/

http://www.campmackinaw.com

The link above is to the campground we will be staying at. Please be sure to let me know if you have any questions.

The link below will give you a video tour of the campground and the area.
http://www.campmackinaw.com/streaming%20video.htm

Hope to see you there!

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-10-2004, 12:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Jack,

I sure wish you lived in the West as I REALLY would love to make one of your rallies! Forum rallies are exactly what I am looking for. I think I'll keep next summer open so I can plan to make a midwest rally. You guys have fun!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:52 PM   #8

Fenton , Missouri
I'd love to see you here. Yea, its a long way and there are lots of folks from all over the country that I'd love to meet personally. Hopefully some of you folks outside of the midwest can pull your own thing together. Maybe someday we can host our own "International" type function.....hmm...but at least you won't see us in funny hats.....Toga's might be acceptable though. Ah yes, its all in the eye of the beholder.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
reservations

Jack, thanks for all the work you have put in planning the two rallys.

I made reservations last week, for my friend and me, on the Internet for the whole week. I asked them to place us near the water if possible and near you. Sorry, but this will be my very first Rally and I may need a bit of hand holding for a day.

I am a newby to RVing and very excited to be able to attend.

TNSue
2004 Suburban, 3/4 ton, Jordan 2020 Ultima controller
tnsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:28 AM   #10

Fenton , Missouri
TnSue,
Great to have you with us. No problem on the hand holding, that's part of the fun! Looks like you are #4 in attendance so far.

The list looks like this so far:

jcanavera
Silvertwinkie
eikel1we
TnSue

Just a reminder to everyone in that its a busy time of year up at Mackinaw so you need to check your calendar. Note that you don't have to stay the entire week. We will be happy to see you anytime you have free. Just remember that if you wait until late May or June, it may be difficult to get reservations.

Our plans will have us overnight at the KOA in Benton Harbor Michigan on July 10th. Those of you coming from the south might consider this a good overnight stop.

Hope to see you there!

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-15-2004, 10:45 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
drive time

Jack, this really has nothing to do with the rally but you did bring up a subject I had not given much thought,
I will be driving from near Knoxville on I-75 to Toledo to pick my friend up then on to Mackinaw.

How much drive time should I allow?? Baring bad weather and traffic that is cooperating, what can I plan on as an average miles a day travel?? 200....250.....300??

I would like a ball park figure to work with. I know there are many unknowns when traveling but sort of an idea.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

TNSue
Old 03-15-2004, 12:42 PM   #12

Fenton , Missouri
I know that we felt that from Mackinaw to just south of Toledo was pretty much a full day's drive for us. We drove that stretch when we stopped off at Jackson Center after our last Mackinaw vacation in 2001. Between 350-400 miles a day is usually our limits. Benton Harbor Michigan is about 380 miles from St. Louis.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-15-2004, 05:35 PM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Just thought some of you registering might be wondering. I'll save you a call to the campground. Unlike the June rally, you will not get a site assignment until you arrive at the campgrounds.

FYI I just got my confirmation for the Mackinaw rally today.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-19-2004, 12:02 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
reservations

I got mine the other day. Very excited.

As you said they do not assigne a spot until you get there.

But as long as I am within yelling distance I will be ok!
Old 03-19-2004, 04:37 PM   #15

Fenton , Missouri
Yes you can find me very easily. I'll be the one with an aluminum trailer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-19-2004, 05:53 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Thumbs up thanks a lot!

Oh thanks, your a great help.

But from what I can tell your spot will be where all the wild parties are and that is where I want to be.

Old 03-19-2004, 07:16 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Native Michigander

Hi everyone,

Have lived in Mi. all my life and vacationed numerous time in the upper part of the lower peninsula. Mackinac area is beautiful. You must go over to Mackinac Island which is a quick ferry ride (take Shepplers). The island is beautiful but no gasoline powered vehicles allowed. Bicycling is fun, and horse and buggy rides are available. It can be a tad pricey though as the tourist season is relatively short in Mi. and they have to make their $$ when they can.
If you are a boater, check out Mullet and Burt Lakes, their gorgeous. They are part of a chain of lakes and Lake Huron is accessible from Mullet (via a lock).
If you have an opportunity to go to the northwest part of the state, stop in at Petoskey, Charlevoix and Traverse City. All beautiful towns. Traverse City has a Airstream campground called Holiday Park. It's very very nice. Check it out, its in all the travel books. Hope I've been of some help to those that decide to go.
Don't eat too much fudge....and btw, charter fishing is very popular too. Lake trout and salmon. Have fun.

Bruce
you can leave me a pm if you'd like more info
BReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:54 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Lightbulb

Bruce,
I was in Mackinaw City a few years ago and attended a play of some sort at a theatre. I can't remeber the name of the facility but the play was tremendous. It was about America. If you could help me remember the name of it I amsure there are people at the Rally that would enjoy attending.

TNSue
Old 03-20-2004, 10:07 AM   #19

Fenton , Missouri
Re: thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally posted by tnsue
Oh thanks, your a great help.

But from what I can tell your spot will be where all the wild parties are and that is where I want to be.

I have always envisioned a wild WBCCI party at the International Rally with a rally goer who partook of too much spirits, trying to find their home in a sea of aluminum.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-21-2004, 05:16 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tnsue
Bruce,
I was in Mackinaw City a few years ago and attended a play of some sort at a theatre. I can't remeber the name of the facility but the play was tremendous. It was about America. If you could help me remember the name of it I amsure there are people at the Rally that would enjoy attending.

TNSue
TnSue,

Mackinac City is pretty small. I'm not familiar with the name of the theatre, but there is a nice visitors "welcome center" that I know will be familiar with the theatre you are looking for.
Hope this helps.
BReed is offline   Reply With Quote