Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Thumbs up June 2004 Midwest Rally is Set!

Hi everybody. I have set up a separate post regarding information for the June weekend rally at Moraine State Park.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=8550

This is the same location as last year and the folks at Moraine are happy to see us come back again.

I know its early but sites are limited. Remember we had 15 units show up last year. This year I am expecting additional units since the park was so nice and you all were so great!

This is really low cost camping and if things change you can cancel your initial reservation and only be out $5. So why not reserve now and make sure we can all be together!

Remember this is an electric only campground so you will either need to travel with water or fill up once you get there. Sites are all paved with varying degrees of sunshine and shade. Disposal facilities are close by and there are some nice bathouse facilities.
A playground is also nearby for those of you with kids.

They did encourage me to see if you can minimize the number of forms sent in so if there is a group of you who want to be next to each other, reserve multiple sites on one form. As for me I get dibs on being next to Silvertwinkie.....he needs special assistance.

Let me know if you have further questions but I'll post a recap of the attendees and site numbers as you get your confirmations back in the mail.

Stay tuned for further information on the July rally in Mackinaw City Mi.

Post if you have questions!

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
Old 01-20-2004, 06:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
You can count me in and maybe 3 others
Old 01-20-2004, 07:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
June 2004 Midwest Rally is Set!

Count me in!

My reservation and deposit will be in the mail to Moraine View State Park tomorrow. Unless one of the pair throws some kind of temper tantrum between now and June, I will be towing the Minuet with the Cadillac Eldorado.

Maybe I should change my signature and take out the "towcar in training" phrase. The Eldorado handled towing chores with the Airstream from Cedar Falls, Iowa to the Quad Cities (traversing I-80 and I-380) without incident. The Minuet should be an even better match for the car.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
Old 01-20-2004, 10:02 PM   #4

Fenton , Missouri
Kevin,
That puts the unoffical count to 7 at this point. Be sure to give me your site once you confirm. Be sure to put "Airstream Group" on the registration form.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-24-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
aka buckwheat's wife...

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Talking Moraine

We're in!
I've got the application right here on my desk!
Sounds like fun!

"I find that it is not the circumstances in which we are placed, but the spirit in which we face them, that constitutes our comfort."
-Elizabeth T. King
Old 01-24-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
aka buckwheat's wife...

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Moraine

Thanks Eric!
Looking forward to meeting all of you, also!

"I find that it is not the circumstances in which we are placed, but the spirit in which we face them, that constitutes our comfort."
-Elizabeth T. King
Old 01-24-2004, 06:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Smile 1st timer

We think we're going to have to make our reservations. Excited to check out everyones airstreams, and show off our own. We're in Chicago, (had to leave our a/s home, not quite ready for the road) this weekend. we found great heavyweight fabrics, as well as lamps and decor at IKEA. Cant wait to pull it all together, and get her out on the road!!
Old 01-24-2004, 06:18 PM   #8
aka buckwheat's wife...

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Okay...I don't think I've found the answer to this. Forgive my ignorance on this matter. When we enter the park...do we stop at the Host site....or do we go to our spot and have the host come to us? (Can you tell we've never done this before??) If one of you have given me the answer to this, let me apologize in advance. *s*

-Elizabeth T. King
Old 01-24-2004, 07:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings PluffMudd!

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance on this matter. When we enter the park...do we stop at the Host site....or do we go to our spot and have the host come to us? (Can you tell we've never done this before??)
Each campground has its own procedures, but at Morraine View State Park in the campground where this Rally is being held, you will enter the campground and the first place that you will approach is the "registration booth" - - it is on the right. If it is attended, you will be asked to stop and check-in. The hosts will then direct you for the easiest approach to your site. If it isn't attended, there is a bulletin board inside of the sheltered area where "notices and notes" for "late" arrivals are posted. This is where you will find notes regarding "emergency" space reassignments should they be necessary - - have only seen this happen once after a storm had downed a tree blocking one of the spots. If unattended, there is a large map of the campground in the "registration booth" with directional arrows that will help you to find your site. Unless you are a very early arrival there will be Forum members watching for arrivals who will help you find the "hub of activities"

Will be looking forward to meeting you at the Rally!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-24-2004, 07:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

we're in.

Please count us in for one spot in the AS group w/ the MH again. Look forward to seeing you all again.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Talking Will someone park us?

OK, so, since I have zero experience backing my baby up, and I don't know if I will have any prior to June, (although I better get our first outing in before June) Is someone going to park us like they did in the Long Long Trailer, or do I risk runnin into a neighbor??

Old 01-24-2004, 07:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

can help

We are hoping to go up Thursday...I'd be happy to assist or back your rig into place. Drive trucks w/ trailers daily at work...you'll get used to it the more you operate with both. I think I saw Eric (silvertwinkie) recommend that he had used a closed parking lot for a hour or so and "practiced" before he headed out for the camp ground.

I also see you are from St. Louis (???). Both Jack & I are from the t. Louis as well. Perhaps a pre-trip camping excursion could be made.

So far this year 2004, I've been out w/ the AS twice. We haven't had much of a winter here (knock on wood...ice storm forecasted for tonite). I went to Robertville SP both times...only camper in the whole park. The furnace does great job...both weekends temps in the 20's at night and 30-40 day. Just GREAT to get away...even if it is only 1/2 hour from home...it's still away from work.

Great to have you going to the Rally.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Sounds good.

We just bought ours a couple of weeks ago, then bought another to re-hab. So we'll have our hands busy. I'm in Chicago relaxing with some friends tonight, so enjoy that ice-storm. Hopefully it will clear up, I found a couch at Crate & Barrel Outlet that I want to bring back and replace the couch-fold-out-bed thing (I forgot what they are called) and I'd hate to pass up a clearance deal because I can't get it home.

Sorry I ramble.

I have a guy coming over to check out all of the systems this week, we're having trouble with propane flow, so we don't know if anything works. Anyway, If he has no luck I might hit you up for a look-see if all else fails. Looking forward to making some St.Louis contacts. I eat/sleep/talk air-stream now, and none of our friends understand.

Thanks, and contact you soon

Ron & Tony
Old 01-24-2004, 08:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
bartering???

I hope I spelled that right. My partner is excellent with Draperies and Upholstery, just quit work to start out on his own. I could probably get him to trade for anyone in the area that could assist us when needed.

I assume in this close knit community, that bartering happens from time to time, so I just thought I'd throw that out there, since a lot of local people will be checking out theis thread.

Thanks
Ron & Tony
Old 01-25-2004, 08:27 AM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
We're in...

I've got the application ready to mail tomorrow! Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Tin Can Luv... take advantage of Jack and Zamboni and find a parking lot to play some afternoon. You'll be oh-so-glad you did. Nothing builds confidence like success, and after an hour of backing, three-point turns, and learning to maneuver your A/S in a parking lot, your trip will be MUCH less stressful.

We've got a 34' tri-axle, and as Eric can attest from our trip to Indiana Dunes last year, it's pretty amazing where you can get them into, and how little fuss it really takes.

See you all at Moraine View!

Roger
Old 01-25-2004, 08:40 AM   #16

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Will someone park us?

Quote:
Originally posted by tin can luv
OK, so, since I have zero experience backing my baby up, and I don't know if I will have any prior to June, (although I better get our first outing in before June) Is someone going to park us like they did in the Long Long Trailer, or do I risk runnin into a neighbor??

I got into that experience once before. I actually hit a tree with my van during that episode. Too much help!

I learned to backup by going to a store parking lot after hours with a couple of tall plastic trash cans and some brooms placed in them. I did a lot of backing and soon learned how to do it right. The plastic trash cans bounce pretty well.

You will get lots of help though. Nothing to be afraid of. The biggest mistake most folks make in backing up is not pulling forward enough of the spot, leaving too little space to pivot the trailer.

Moriane is pretty good as far as back in sites go, you should find this one a piece of cake.

Our reservation form hits the mail tomorrow, so based on the responses so far I expect the folks at Moraine will be busy. Remember to post your spot so I can keep track of who will be where.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-27-2004, 02:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Talking Sent off reservation today!

Excitedly sent off my form today, with a whopping check of $16. But I noticed on the bottom, Alcohol prohibited....that's a joke right?

Just kidding, I'm sure the entire experience will be intoxicating in itself!

See you all there!
Old 01-27-2004, 02:32 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Jack!

Just received my reservation confirmation from Moraine View State Park. I have been assigned to spot P45. For some reason that number sounds familiar - - I think it is the same spot that I had last year.

Will be looking forward to seeing everyone at the Rally!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-27-2004, 04:24 PM   #19

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Sent off reservation today!

Quote:
Originally posted by tin can luv
Excitedly sent off my form today, with a whopping check of $16. But I noticed on the bottom, Alcohol prohibited....that's a joke right?

Just kidding, I'm sure the entire experience will be intoxicating in itself!

See you all there!
Well a coolie hides all so if you are respectable, no one will ask. Now if you are in a toga......

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-27-2004, 06:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Question Toga

Do Tell....
Closed Thread