Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #141
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Of course we'll all help with the backing up. Though I admit I still need help myself sometimes... I honestly think it's easier than it looks...just go slowly and take your time. And there is always someone at the campground who would love to do it for you if you don't want to or get too frustrated. But we'll all be there and it will be a snap!

The weather is just gorgeous right now..hope it holds up for next week.
Ahhhhh. We'll take lots of pictures.

See ya all soon!

Laurel

(Sorry you can't make it...We'll see you next time Monica.)
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks, Laurel. Nice to know there's plenty of back-up!
By the way, do you--or anyone else--know of an easy-access gas station on 101S before Cachuma (but below King City)?
As usual, all suggestions appreciated.
Janet
Old 03-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #143
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Hi Janet -

Los Alamos, just after Santa Maria, has a big Chevron station. I think that's your last chance before the turn off at hwy 154.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Many thanks, Meredith. That sounds ideal.
Michelle, hope your travels are going smoothly and you're still planning to rally with us! Can't wait to meet everyone.
Janet
Old 03-15-2007, 04:44 PM   #145
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Western Sisters,

Head 'em up, move 'em out...(anyone old enough to remember "Rawhide"?)

How excited we all are for each of you that will hit the road on a new adventure next week. I would love to be right there among you. Unfortunately, it is a little far for me right now. My "Betty Lou II" has not even been de-winterized yet. We will have to live vicariously though all of you this time around. It sounds great and I know it is going to be so much FUN! Please take pictures to share with us. Have a drink on us and remember we are with you in spirit. "GIRL POWER"

I hope to meet all of you someday...

Vickie (Mrs. Towdaddy)
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #146
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I'm going to try to get there on Wednesday and so is Debra.

What area should we try to get our sites in?

And how many sites should we try to hold?
Old 03-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Hi Bam,
I just talked to someone @ Cachuma (805-6865055) and he said that it shouldn't be too hard for us to get some sites together, or near each other, in the Barona area (where the full hook-ups are) if we arrive Wed. and Thurs. He said the "most popular" full W/E/S sites are along the edge-83-90s-but they fill up quickly with snowbirds, who stay awhile. Meredith mentioned in an earlier post that sites on the opposite edge of the loop-62-121, also seemed pretty good. Pull throughs are W/E only, sites 125-132.
He did say that we wouldn't be able to block or save sites even though there will only be 5 of us.
The weather is so fabulous right now! We'll be getting a little cooler up here with some drizzle on Wed. (we need it!) but clearing again for the weekend.
Could you PM your cell or email me @janetbyers@sbcglobal.net?
Thanks!
See you soon!
Janet
Old 03-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #148
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
We're in the home stretch....

Hey Ladies

Wow, one week from tonight, we'll be sitting around the fire with our hot toddies, telling ghost stories!

I am going to arrive Thursday afternoon with my trailer. My husband is going to drive with me up the 154 and wait while I get situated, but then I have to return to SB because I have to work a few hours on Friday morning .
I should be back at Cachuma early Friday afternoon.

Debra and Laurel, thanks for getting to Cachuma on Wed. and giving all prospective sob neighbors the hairy eyeball so they won't park in the spaces next to you guys!
Old 03-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Terry stopped by Cachuma on his way back from a trip south, checked out the sites, and brought back a map. The full-hook-up area he thought was the nicest was the same as Meredith's friend: The 62-121 loop.
But to tell you the truth, at this point I'll be happy anywhere! Can't wait! Weather is supposed to be terrific. Have fun Debra and Laurel, and don't worry about nailing down sites for us. Don't want to picture you frantically "saving seats" like Elaine! But I am all for the hairy eyeball thing...
Janet
Old 03-18-2007, 08:36 PM   #150
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Ladies,
I am currently in western New Mexico headed your way! I was wondering which sites we were trying to gather around.

Remember you can bring your SO but you have do drive some of the way and he can't say anything (unles you are going to hit something) when you are backing into your spot!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Hey Michelle! Glad to hear you're heading in the right direction! We're planning to circle the wagons in the Barona area, but since it's first come, first serve, we're still not quite sure which specific sites we'll end up with. As each of us arrive we'll do a blatant "Airstream Silver Sisters" thing at the kiosk so they'll know where to send you. And no matter what, you'll get a warm California welcome!
Janet
Old 03-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #152
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
wagons ho!

Debra, Laurel and Michelle,

You guys will all be coming from the South, right? Are you planning on driving up San Marcos Pass over the mountain?, or are you going to take the 101 past Buellton and then drive to the campground from the North? I'm asking because I'm kind of nervous about driving up the whindy 154 mountain pass with the short little pull-outsl. Has anyone been up that way yet? Should I be nervous? Driving to Buellton and then coming in from the North is a little longer, but it's flatter and straighter.

Am I making a big deal about nothing?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Hi Meredith,
We use 154 almost every time we visit family in SB (lots!) and it's really not all that bad. There are a lot of turns, but the road is fairly wide and the turns aren't tight. If you go around, you're still going to have a big hill after Gaviota, where it can also be kind of gusty. So San Marcos Pass from the SB side might be the lesser of the evils, and definitely faster.
And if the cars stack up behind you, well...so be it. It becomes four lanes again toward the top of the pass, and stays that way until after the bridge. Then a wide two lanes until Cachuma. You'll do great.
Looking forward to sharing travel/driving stories and getting lots of advice!
Take care,
Janet
Old 03-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #154
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Hi. I will be coming from the north (I'm about an hour and a half north of Santa Barbara. I have driven through the Cachuma Pass (154) several times (both from the south and the north) with my trailer on the way to other rallies and it's not a problem. There are many passing lanes so you really don't need to pull over at all. The Cachuma Lake Campground is kind of in the middle of the drive on 154 so going all the way around wouldn't help you much, it would just make the trip a lot longer.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy the drive is. The first mile or two is the windiest and then it straightens out. Just go slow and you'll be fine. It will give the other vehicles a chance to admire your Airstream.

Safe travels all!
See you soon,
Laurel
Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #155
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I am coming from the south and east. My plan is to pick up 101 as soon as possible. I think this will be I-40 to I-15 then 101 but I have not taken a good look at the map yet. I am expecting to be there mid day thrusday. I could be there Wednesday depending.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #156
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Safe journey Michelle, glad you are enjoying being back where its warm!

Hey western sisters, hope you have a super get together! Please post pix!!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:26 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks Steph, and Vickie and Carol!
It's going to be especially fun to have Michelle there as our Silver Sisters' liason. A great connection to the rest of the contingent! And I'm sure we're going to have plenty of photos to post.
Cheers,
Janet
Old 03-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #158
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Okie doki, it's up the pass then! Thanks for the encouragement, girls. We live close to the bottom of San Marcos Pass, so I guess it does seem silly to drive all the way around. The closer the rally gets, the more I seem to be freaking myself out with all the "what if's."
Old 03-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Meredith is the road far from you? Perhaps you could take a drive to feel it out before you tow. Just go at your own pace and do not worry about holding anyone up behind you until you get to a place you are comfortable to turn out in. Don't let anyone pressure you to move any differently than you are comfortable doing. They'll get over it and you surely would not be the first rv to ever be ahead of them.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. You will do famously and I bet you a quarter you'll enjoy the drive.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:07 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
You and me both, Meridith. You're truly "not the only one..."
I did a little practice run last Sunday, hooking up, towing, docking etc. and it was a bit hair-raising, but mostly just because it's all such new info. On the road, it feels fine, but we detoured through Salinas to have a little "maneuvering" experience and that wasn't so fine. The driving was ok but the neighborhood we ended up in was beyond sketchy. And making a quick uey was just not in the cards. But I survived, and amazingly enough Terry survived (I can't believe I'm making dinner for him right now) but I'm ready to rip those honey-toned vocals right out of the nav. system.
But I did get home with lots more experience under my belt and much more confidence. No city driving for me, but I think I'm freeway-ready.
Still not consistent with the backing though, and am going to count on some significant help at Cachuma.
My admiration for all those women who tow with such adventursome spirits just grows and grows!
See you soon!
Janet