Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Golden West AirShow in Marysville in June?

I've seen messages about willingness of members to attend "Dry Camping" event. I know some members also are interested in airplanes and aviation. I know the NorCal group only has two major events each year (Russian River and Jackson..) and we might support a few more...

Sooo... I am curious if others would be interested in joining me for part of a weekend at the Golden West Air Show and Fly-In the second weekend in June (8-10).. It is pretty much a dry-camping event, though a few spots will have limited power, and they do have a single-wide trailer set up with hit showers for tent campers. They also have a green lawn area for tents, though it is some distance from RV parking area along runway. Pricing is very reasonable ($10/night + admission passes) and Marysville/Yuba County Airport is about 40 miles north of Sacramento off Hwy 5.. Parking spaces are adjacent to taxiway, and event draws experimental and antique aircraft, plus aerobatic performers.. A number of WW II military planes always show up, and they hold breakfasts and dinners in the large hangar, in addition to food providers in booths at the event.. Their website is at: Home Page

I'll be there any way starting Friday as Rally of 1, but I'd welcome additional company.. I'll try to post a few photo's lf prior events in future messages if there is any interest...

John

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
I figured I'd bump this 1 time just in case.. I still plan to be in RV Parking area by 3 PM, and setting up for weekend.. I am hosting a Piper Comanche lunch Saturday but Airstreams also welcome Noon- 1 PM for hot dogs/beverages/ chili/chips etc... There will be some sites with electrical power, but no water/sewer hookups. OK to arrive Saturday or leave early.. Show runs through Sunday afternoon with flying displays all three days for ~ 90 minutes..

Would appreciate PM if anyone thinking of joining, so I can plan for food and beverages.. (Pilot's get soda's, Airstreams can enjoy beer as alternate..) Easy to find airport with GPS, but more challenging with maps or "follow the crowd" model, since crowds pretty light in past years, and airport pretty far out in the country... Photos below show Airstream adjacent to taxiway, and typical antiques (Waco Biplane from 1930's...) Weather varies from cool and windy to hot...

John McG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoldenWest2011_Airstream.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	159714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	159715  

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Golden West Air Show again in 2013

Well--

The show goes on again, and I am going to take our Airstream up to Marysville CA again for this year's Golden West Regional Air Show over the weekend of June 7-8-9.. Once again, they'll have dry camping spots with electricity for 30 or more RV's I've reserved a spot next to taxiways with 30A power (operates only 10 hours/day, but that is plenty for A/C and morning coffee..) for the weekend, and will bring barbecue for a lunch on Saturday if anyone cares to join.. There is a dump station at Truck Stop where Hwy 99 rejoins I-80 to empty tanks on way home.. Link to camping reservations and information is: http://www.goldenwestflyin.org/camping/Camping2013.htm

If anyone were flying in, camping next to planes is free, but there is manicured lawn area behind control tower for small fee. Showers are available for free, and there will be breakfasts and dinners served in large hangar..

Main website for air show is: Home Page

Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
John;
Marysville EAA is a nice event. Pretty low key , close to Beale AFB (unexpected flyovers),can be warm.
The EAA workshops are tops in my opinion.and the airshow is up close and the performing pilots are readily available.
I had a vendor booth there for a few years displaying my RANS line of homebuilts, the show was always a fun time, have not been in some years. gave my first "Young Eagles" flight there.always a hoot to introduce kids to aviation!! the looks on their faces is just something else!
Grass roots aviation at it's best, tho not even close to Arlington , still a good day out.
Have fun..
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
F/A 18's from your door...

Thought I'd include photo taken from inside trailer of F/A 18 taxiing by the line of RV's about 40' away.. Max performance takeoff on runway about 100' away pretty amazing...

Golden West used to be major EAA-supported show with lots of experimentals and lots of seminars and lots of people.. After a sad lawsuit EAA backed away, and sponsors have trouble promoting beyond greater Marysville, so drive-in crowd pretty sparse.. Seeing only private fully operational UH-1 Cobra Gunship helicopter last year was interesting, as were a number of antiques and experimentals.. There is usually a B-17 from Phoenix area on tarmac, and offering rides, and often unusual antiques or restorations...

Three NorCal EAA Chapters flew in nearly 30 planes Sunday morning for bonus display in exchange for free food at breakfast hangar.. Lots of RV's (the planes..) and other homebuilt hotrods..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	184970   Click image for larger version

Name:	GoldenWest2012B.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	184971