Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2003, 04:53 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Chicagoland rally/Midwest rally

Before the forum blackhole, I believe Curtis posted something about getting another rally on the books. Brandi and I are totally up for that.

I added to the thread by saying that although another Midwest Rally would be fantastic, we got the sense that a bunch of folks in the "Chicagoland area" might like to also meet over a weekend at one of the campgrounds around the area. Of course this would not be limited to those of the Chicago area, others would be very welcome to join as well.

So this is sort of like two posts in one....

The continuation of the conversation that Curtis started and also to see if anyone would be up for a local weekend. I took a look and Zion and Starved Rock seem fairly close. Anyone up for something closer before another Midwest Rally?

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 05:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I was missing for a reason :(

Eric and all,

I was unable to attend the Midwest rally because my Caravel
has been in the shop for over a month waiting for parts from a well known vintage parts dealer on the left coast.

It would seem that though they have the parts ... the haven't been able to get them out the door and shipped in anywhere near a timely fashion.

I was optimistic that It would be ready for the rally, but excuses
and missing shipments seemed to be the ongoing theme.

I am still waiting going on 5 weeks now. The sad thing is that
I recommended to the shop that they get the parts from this
dealer.

Oh well ... live ... learn .... wait .... then pay ...

I would hope that I will be ready when another rally is arranged.

Names have been left out to protect the innocent ... for there are many sides to every story. This is not an invitation for explaination on the part of any of the involved parties .....
simply a statement of why I could not attend a rally that I had
kicked off the idea for.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=3388

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 06:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to airstreamDreamer2
Talking

[I][SIZE=1][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=teal]I had a really great time at moraine view.The fishing was great! I caught my very first fish there!!! I hope we do it again soon!Please plan one quickly. I can't wait to hang out with the peoplefrom the rally again!

AirstreamDreamer2

airstreamDreamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

As I was saying...

What about a fall midwest rally in the Kansas City area? Easily accessed from just about anywhere - including Chicago; and even Denver and Dallas would not be too terribly far.

I am thinking specifically of Watkins Mill State Park, just seven miles east of Kearney, Mo. off I-35, and just a few miles north of Kansas City, Mo. Wonderful historic setting in Jesse James country, beautiful rolling, wooded hills, an excellent reservable area (but electric only), a lake, hiking/biking trails, tours of the only 19th century woolen mill to retain its original machinery, and attractive, shaded campsites.

The best time for fall color would be early to mid October.

Just an idea.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 07:30 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
DMC,

Sorry you missed it. Especially since you started the thread. Maybe next time. Thanks for getting the juices flowing.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 08:06 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Missed it !!

Jack,

I am sorry I missed it also.

One of the sadest things in life .... is a missed opportunity.

I guess next time I will get my running gear in order ....
IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WINTER!!

I am glad that it was so much fun for those who attended!!

Dave
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 08:32 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I was thinking of these places off the top of my head for a Chicagoland rally due to location (open to suggestions on other local ones too):

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt.../R2/CHAINO.HTM

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...R2/ILBEACH.HTM

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...tarve/park.htm

The Chicagoland rally of course would be open to anyone who wanted to go.

Now for the next Midwest rally conversation. As for the Kansas City idea for another Midwest rally, although I am sure would be a nice place, for us that would be too far for a simple weekend type rally. I think that a rally should be no more than 3, maybe 4 hours. Kansas City from Chicago would be over 8 hours and Denver and Dallas although beautiful are not midwestern states. Although open to anyone, I feel a midwest rally should be designed with the intention of making it centrally located to Midwest folks. I think that if it's a midwest rally, and it's for weekend or an extended weekend, the states should be central or a bit further south in Illinois or Indiana. As Jack pointed out, they are the most central to the midwest and almost equal in distance for all. I think one of the reasons (besides hanging with a bunch of great Airstream folks) that the last Midwest rally was so successful was because it was more centrally located to most (within that 3-4 hour window).

Just my .02

Eric
Old 06-15-2003, 08:49 PM   #8
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Hi everyone! Just back from a trip across Iowa pulling the 34'! Since the Forums world collapsed right after I posted last (was it MY fault????) I wanted to tell everyone how sorry I am that we couldn't make it to the rally at Moraine.

It's nice to see the forum back up, and We'd definately be up for another 'local' rally! We'd sure like to meet everyone.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 08:52 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not to worry Roger.... I still have the chocolate milk on standby for the next rally!

Toga, of course is optional!

Eric
Old 06-15-2003, 09:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Chicagoland rally/Midwest rally

I might suggest a possibility for a Fall Rally. There is a wonderful commercial campground (Rustic Barn Campground) located in Kieler, WI that is centrally located for a number of activities. It is about one-hour West of Madison, WI on US 151. Some of the attractions include:

Galena, IL and Galena Territories - - less than 30 miles

Mineral Point, WI - - less than 30 miles (historic town very similar to Galena, IL)

Dodgeville, WI - - less than 45 miles - - home to Lands End

Spring Green, WI - - less than 55 miles - - home to House on the Rock, Taliesen, and American Players Theatre

Platteville, WI - - less than 20 miles - - home to the Univeristy of Wisconsin - Platteville, and the Lead Mining Museum.

Dubuque, Iowa - - less than 10 miles - - home to many attractions - - of great interest Mississippi River Paddle Wheel tours that include a meal either lunch or dinner depending upon duration of cruise - - these tours feature gorgeous fall colors and the opportunity to spot eagles as well as many other forms of wildlife.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 09:23 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Cool Hello Midwest Rally Folks,

Tom and I weren't able to attend this year's rally, but next time there's one within 4-5 hours or so of Cincinnati, I'd like to know about it. I'll keep watching this forum.

thanks,

Cherie
KY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 09:29 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think all those places are great, but I think they might bit far for a good number of folks unless it was an extended weekend type thing. I think a full week for some might be a bit much. Of course, people could come and go as they pleased. For example though, Jack would have about a 6+ hour drive and that would be a Star Trek for just a weekend. Looking at the map, I could see issues with some folks in Ohio, southern Indiana, Missouri, Kentucky, etc with a WI or far northwest Illinois location. Of course, if the group wants to do it, that would be really neat. Like I said earlier though, I think one of the main reasons the last Midwest rally was as successful as it was could be due to the fact that it was a centrally located within reason for most.

Anyone local (Chicagoland area) keen on a Chicagoland rally before the next Midwest rally?

Eric
Old 06-15-2003, 09:31 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Hello Midwest Rally Folks,

Quote:
Originally posted by Kentucky Girl
Tom and I weren't able to attend this year's rally, but next time there's one within 4-5 hours or so of Cincinnati, I'd like to know about it. I'll keep watching this forum.

thanks,

Cherie
Case in point.

By the way, JP posted something that peaked my interest......

http://www.airforums.com/forum...6587#post36587

Eric
Old 06-15-2003, 09:42 PM   #14
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Re: Chicagoland rally/Midwest rally

Quote:
Originally posted by overlander64
I might suggest a possibility for a Fall Rally. There is a wonderful commercial campground (Rustic Barn Campground) located in Kieler, WI that is centrally located for a number of activities. It is about one-hour West of Madison, WI on US 151. Some of the attractions include:

Galena, IL and Galena Territories - - less than 30 miles

Mineral Point, WI - - less than 30 miles (historic town very similar to Galena, IL)

Dodgeville, WI - - less than 45 miles - - home to Lands End

Spring Green, WI - - less than 55 miles - - home to House on the Rock, Taliesen, and American Players Theatre

Platteville, WI - - less than 20 miles - - home to the Univeristy of Wisconsin - Platteville, and the Lead Mining Museum.

Dubuque, Iowa - - less than 10 miles - - home to many attractions - - of great interest Mississippi River Paddle Wheel tours that include a meal either lunch or dinner depending upon duration of cruise - - these tours feature gorgeous fall colors and the opportunity to spot eagles as well as many other forms of wildlife.

Kevin
kevin,

sounds good!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 09:45 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Those of you who live on the far ends of the Midwest region and want a rally, just do it. If you look back on the threads earlier this year, we all talked and talked about what dates and where and finally I think I drew the line and picked the location and date.

Quite honestly, my effort other than getting things going was pretty minimal and could be duplicated by any of you out there. So those of you who want to make it happen closer to you, just pick a date and someone step forward and make the wheels turn.

If I can help or you need some encouragement, just ask.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 09:59 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, to me as was the case with the old posts over the winter, at this point, I'd like to get some feedback from the folks.

Although I myself have an idea on locations, I haven't really ruled anything out myself at this stage (except an 8 hour drive). The main goal to me besides getting a nice place is to get a good size group. I am not sure we will see the 14 we had last time, but it would be much better IMHO if we could get 6 or 7 units. I think that's what we were shooting for last time and due to location, location, we exceeded that goal.

At any rate, I think the next Midwest rally will surely be after the 4th of July. With that in mind, there is a fair amount of time to collect thoughts and suggestions and see where the group might all like to go with the goals in mind.

On the other hand, I am myself trying to see it before the next Midwest rally, we might get some of the "local" folk of Chicagoland (others welcome as well) to a rally in these exact areas of IL or WI. So far I am hearing that 3 might make such a trip be it a Midwest rally or a "Chicagoland" rally.

Anyone else care to add to the discussion?

Eric
Old 06-16-2003, 05:02 AM   #17
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
How about this...

How about every couple of weeks, one of us just sponsors something local to them, and posts it. They show up, and anyone who can make it shows up. No one will be able to make them all, but some of us will be able to make some of them.

Any thoughts?

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 05:36 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to airstreamDreamer2
I agree with silvertwinky. An eight hour drive will be way too far for my mother-in-law who is disabled. And what about those of us who have to be back at work on monday? We can't drive 8 hours on friday just to leave really early on sunday. It would be rediculous.

airstreamDreamer2
airstreamDreamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 06:13 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by 85MH325
How about this...

How about every couple of weeks, one of us just sponsors something local to them, and posts it. They show up, and anyone who can make it shows up. No one will be able to make them all, but some of us will be able to make some of them.

Any thoughts?

Roger
I think that is a down and dirty way of getting something together, but I think that for either a Midwest gathering or even a local gathering that a bit more planning should be done. Of course it's not required but....... one nice thing about the planning stage is that we all as a result got to be parked in the same area rather than randomly through the campground which to me, made the rally a real gem.

Eric
Old 06-16-2003, 07:23 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
1969 29' Ambassador
Winthrop Harbor , Illinois
Labor Day Midwest Rally

Hello Jack, Kevin, Eric and the rest of the band of Gypsies!

We have just booked three sites at Blackhawk Lake in Wisconsin for the 3 day Labor Day weekend. I know that sites are still available, and that you are allowed to park up to three trailers per site (at triple rate of course).

Soooo, here is an informal invitation to a Midwest Rally.

Eric- I saw your list of campgrounds for a local rally, it looks great however I would not recommend Chain-O-Lakes. We camped there last year and found it to be a miserable place. just an FYI.

Take care y'all!
Cottage is offline   Reply With Quote