Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2003, 08:48 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Just checked the weather and it appears that it is going to be a great weekend! Friday and Sat should be sunny and warm. Sunday there appears to be a 30% chance of isolated thunderstorms.

http://www.weather.com/weather/local...ocalUndeclared

Brandi and I should be at the campground before 4pm. Spot reservations where everyone will be are posted above (with 4 of us, it shouldn't be too difficult to find everyone).

For those arriving on a weekday, the check in time is 2pm. If you are arriving on Saturday, the check in time is 5pm according to the confirmation post card I got in the mail.

Also, I'd just like take a second to remind everyone (not panic anyone) that chooses to brave Lake Michigan's temperatures to use caution when swimming. There has been some news coverage recently of mishaps regarding the undercurrents the lake does possess.

Bring plenty of sunscreen too!

See you all Friday.

Eric and Brandi
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:23 PM   #22
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Brandi and I should be at the campground before 4pm. Spot reservations where everyone will be are posted above (with 4 of us, it shouldn't be too difficult to find everyone).

Eric and Brandi
Uhhh... how will we find everyone??? Oh, yeah... NOW I remember... the SILVER trailers!

Ok, the fridge is on and cooling, the Excursion got a lube/oil/filter change, gotta pump up the tires, and we're outta here!

We're going to try to leave here no later than noon, so we should be there between 4pm and 5pm if all goes well.

See you guys Friday evening!

Roger & Laurie
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 06:03 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Don't forget us!

Quote:
Originally posted by 85MH325

Uhhh... how will we find everyone??? Oh, yeah... NOW I remember... the SILVER trailers!

Roger & Laurie
Hey! Don't forget us little Minuets......we're white, little, and less shiny.

We're so excited that the weekend is approaching! I am a bit nervous about the dangerous water. I heard that 7 people drowned on the fourth of July? Frightening. We'll be sure to keep our little guy safely strapped in his floatation device at all times. I have a pair of buoys of my own......hardee har. And Ron, well, we don't call him "Monkey Butt" for nothing. All in all we're a pretty buoyant family. Seriously, we will be much more careful and alert.

As for the Hobo......I haven't quite decided what we will bring. How about this; everyone else post what you will be bringing and I'll make sure not to bring those things? Ha ha. Honestly, I probably won't decide until Friday right before we leave when I go to the Farmer's market and see what looks really scrumptious. I will be bringing some sort of marianated beef product: the old buzzard (that would be my dad) just purchased an entire cow. I'm going to take a trip over to the "Mom and Pop" grocery store. So what is the point of this paragraph, you ask? The point is - we'll be bringing something and something else from a cow.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Tracy, Ron, Will
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 06:25 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Chicagoland Rally announcement!!!

Greetings All!

If all goes well, I will be arriving around 2 p.m. on Friday - - spent all day in the garage with the Cadillac in hopes that it would be ready for the trip so the trailer didn't get loaded nor did two necessary repairs get completed. May still get there on Thursday, but it is looking very unlikely as the Minuet needs to have its water system sanitized, the propane tank hold-down rod replaced, as well as finalizing the loading of the coach.

My plan is to bring Johnsonville Brats and Li'l Smokies for the Hobo Meals - - will see what else I find when shopping the farmer's market tomorrow - - the big news around here is that the early season Peach crop is ripe and among the best in recent years.

The Suburban will doing towing duty again for this rally as the new wheels for the Cadillac looked great, but even with AirLifts the front tires scraped on the upper edge of the fenderwell nearly constantly - - so its off to the drawing board again - - it's beginning to look like the only way to get a new wheel for this car is through a custom manufacturer at something like $575 per wheel that will insure a new wheel that matches the original's dimensions perfectly.

Will be looking forward to the Rally!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:21 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bummer. I was really looking forward to seeing the Caddy/Minuet combo. I know we'll eventually see it!

We will most likely have a beef or chicken item. Right now it's looking like chicken.

Eric
Old 07-10-2003, 05:33 AM   #26
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
undecided...

We'll definately bring something to the hobo meal... just don't know what yet. I guess we'll know for sure by Saturday nite!

Kevin... I'm bummed too about the Caddy, but we're just glad you're coming. It occurs to me now that perhaps we should have hosted this in the Quad Cities!!! (almost no trip at all for us!)

Tracy... please bring that list of behaviors that we men are supposed to exhibit at the campground. I seem to have forgotten most of them, and none of us would want to disappoint you! In a moment of old-age, I seem to have also forgotten the specs on the pillows that you wanted... can you bring us back up to date, please?

Tracy AND Kevin... what a I MEANT to say was: "NOW I remember... the silver and WHITE ROUNDED trailers!"

Eric... keep the choco-milk-in-a-can cool. We have an extra-large fridge if you don't have enough space. Oh, and BTW, I'll be happy to let you level OUR trailer with OUR electric jacks and stabilizers if you have a compulsion to do more than one trailer levelling this trip, but don't want to get worn out...

See you all there tomorrow nite!

Roger & Laurie
Old 07-10-2003, 05:39 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: undecided...

Quote:
Originally posted by 85MH325
I'll be happy to let you level OUR trailer with OUR electric jacks and stabilizers if you have a compulsion to do more than one trailer levelling this trip, but don't want to get worn out...

Roger & Laurie
After setting up again, I think that after our chocolate milks and you and Laurie are fast asleep..... you might find that on Sunday when you go to leave, a new shiney manual crank system(s) on your 34 footer and I somehow magically have a new electric ones....got my tools all packed!

Eric
Old 07-10-2003, 05:45 AM   #28
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Re: undecided...

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie

After setting up again, I think that after our chocolate milks and you and Laurie are fast asleep..... you might find that on Sunday when you go to leave, a new shiney manual crank system(s) on your 34 footer and I somehow magically have a new electric ones....got my tools all packed!

Eric

Roger
Old 07-10-2003, 01:24 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Unhappy Out of Town...

Sounds like fun, but we are in Georgia right now camping in Sue's brother's driveway.

We are on our honeymoon (married 6/24/03). We had planned a long trip for getting to the family reunion in Maryland, and then to Georgia to see Sue's brother. We camped in Indiana, Ohio (planned to get into the Airstream tour at 2:00, but missed it...), then Swannanoa North Carolina before the head gasket blew. Had it ('92 Chevy diesel pickup) towed to a (relatively) local Chevy dealer, and traded it in on a Tahoe. Then, we couldn't catch up with our planned stops, and went up to Maryland to a hotel. Now we're back in the trailer, and had to blow off another planned stop (at Fort Mountain State Park, Georgia) when Buffett (Sue's Golden Retreiver) fell off the side of the basement stairs and had to have emergency surgery to repair a torn/herniated abdominal wall. we leave tomorrow to camp in Land Between the Lakes, Tennessee, then Effingham Illinois then be home Sunday.

Too much stress...but hope to catch up with some of you guys over a weekend sometime later this summer!

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:15 PM   #30
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Thumbs up Congratulations are in order!

Congratulations on your status as newlyweds!

I can't believe that you'd pass up the Chicagoland Forums Rally for a mere honeymoon trip; albeit one full of adventure, but I guess we'll understand THIS time!

We'll look forward to seeing you at another sometime perhaps later this summer!

Best of luck, and enjoy your honeymoon!

Roger
Old 07-10-2003, 03:37 PM   #31
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Flooding not an issue

I just got off the phone with Indiana Dunes. The heavy flooding that is affecting most of North Central and Northeast Indiana have not affected the Indiana Dunes area at all according to the park office.

I was just a little concerned about towing all the way across Illinois tomorrow afternoon and then finding the park closed...

Roger
Old 07-10-2003, 04:47 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings All!

Just returned from the farmer's market, and general errands. I was able to get a peck of Cling Peaches and a peck of Nectarines for the Hobo-Meal-Fest - - both from Flamm's Orchard, one of Southern Illinois' oldest orchards with more than a century in the business - - traditionally their fruit is considered to be one of the premium varieties from this area. Was also able to get six pounds of new red potatoes that should make a good addition for the hobos. I will also bring Johsonville brats and Li'l Smokies for the meat addition of the hobos.

Looking forward to the Rally!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 07-10-2003, 08:15 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
you all have a great time I will catch you on the next one
Chris
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 02:58 PM   #34
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well we just got back from "The Dunes".

Roger has most of the photos and will most likely post them when possible. I have a few too and will post them when possible as well.

To recap the weekend we all met on Friday night. Roger and Laurie had their 34' Classic and did Roger thread the needle! Very tight spaces, but Roger managed just fine. Lots of faces in awe as the 34' flagship made its way.

We all met for a fire Friday night and talked shop. On Saturday, Ron, Tracy and Will went to the beach. Roger, Laurie and Clinton and Clinton's friend Nick went to the beach and waded. Later we all ate at a White Castle, which was Laurie's first time!

After lunch, we dropped off the kids and Roger, Laurie, Brandi and I went wine tasting at a few local places. That night we all did the hobo meals and it was not only fun, but very, very YUMMY!

Again, a campfire, stories (Roger's are some of the most interesting that I have heard yet and if you want the info, you'll just have to attend one that Roger is at!) and another failed attempt at trying to get Jiffy Pop popcorn to pop without burning the whole thing!

This morning, we all went about our normal morning rituals. After that, Brandi and I went across the dunes to the lake. When returned, all three campers met up, talked and took a group photo at lunch and left for home.

Brandi and I had a fantastic time. It was very awesome to hang with Tracy, Ron, Will and to also meet and hang with Roger, Laurie and Clinton.

Thanks to all that made it!

Eric
Old 07-13-2003, 08:10 PM   #35
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Thumbs up Just got home...

We meandered our way back to Eastern Iowa from Indiana Dunes this afternoon. What a GREAT time this weekend!

Eric's recap about tells it all. I dunno about the part about my stories tho... We REALLY enjoyed everyone's company. We just wish that more of you had been able to make it!

The weather was ideal, but the campground was crowded and a little less than friendly for 53 combined feet of truck/trailer. But we made it into our assigned spot with a minimum of fuss. The sites were shaded and we had a nice breeze all weekend.

The two Airstreams and one Argosy attracted a fair amount of attention from the SOB folks. We had at least half-a-dozen SOB folks want the 'grand tour' of the 34'. That was fun. Met some nice folks.

The campfires were fun (thanks Eric!), the food (except for the White Castles) was EXCELLENT (thanks to Brandi, Laurie and Tracy) and a good time was had by all!

We're up for another get together any time!

Roger
Old 07-13-2003, 08:35 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

It sounds like I really missed out on a fantastic Rally. Despite having secure reservations for four nights, my tow vehicle and trailer didn't want to cooperate on Thursday or Friday, and then Saturday dawned with a Sinusitus/Seasonal Allergy attack that meant no driving for me until Sunday. It certainly sounds like the weather at Indiana Dunes was better than here in far Southern Illinois - - we have been sweltering with highs in the mid-to-upper-nineties with humidity in excess of 90%.

The side-trip to White Castle must have been great! I think it has been at least three or four years since I was last at a White Castle - - used to be on my regular list of stops when I traveled frequently between far Southern Illinois and Russell, Kansas.

I had everything read to pack in the trailer for the hobo meals as well as the fresh fruit as promised. Even after getting the tow vehicle situation straightened out by late afternoon of Friday, the Minuet then decided that it needed attention - - the original PAR water pump sprang a leak in the diaphragm, and not one- - but all three low level water system drains refused to be closed. I believe that I was able to secure the necessary repair parts so I might get the Minuet and Suburban on the road sometime this week - - the Cadillac is on the waiting list to be evaluated for custom fitted wheels from a company in California.

The descriptions of the Rally really make me wish that I could have gotten things together in time to make at least Saturday and Sunday.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 07-14-2003, 05:39 AM   #37
nds
3 Rivet Member

White Castle should only be consumed when Sky Line or Gold Star Chili isn't available.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 06:38 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Out of Town...

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil and/or Sue
Sounds like fun, but we are in Georgia right now camping in Sue's brother's driveway.

We are on our honeymoon (married 6/24/03). We had planned a long trip for getting to the family reunion in Maryland, and then to Georgia to see Sue's brother. We camped in Indiana, Ohio (planned to get into the Airstream tour at 2:00, but missed it...), then Swannanoa North Carolina before the head gasket blew. Had it ('92 Chevy diesel pickup) towed to a (relatively) local Chevy dealer, and traded it in on a Tahoe. Then, we couldn't catch up with our planned stops, and went up to Maryland to a hotel. Now we're back in the trailer, and had to blow off another planned stop (at Fort Mountain State Park, Georgia) when Buffett (Sue's Golden Retreiver) fell off the side of the basement stairs and had to have emergency surgery to repair a torn/herniated abdominal wall. we leave tomorrow to camp in Land Between the Lakes, Tennessee, then Effingham Illinois then be home Sunday.

Too much stress...but hope to catch up with some of you guys over a weekend sometime later this summer!
Ohh you missed it. Fort mountain is nice. I have done some snooping around up there. The road up the mountain is twisty! haha Fun in a sports car but would probably wear you out with a trailer in tow.

Should have spoke up earlier and maybe a few of us could have caught up to you. I'm in Marietta and a Allen is about 5 miles down the road from me in Roswell. Been looking for an excuse to meet a few folks from the board.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 07:49 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Welcome home all!

We had a really great time this weekend.

Kevin, so sorry you couldn't make it. You definitely were missed. Great to see Eric and Brandi again. Thanks for "hosting" our evenings and providing fire....fire and more fire (Eric), plates and forks and aluminum pocket gizmos. You two are so well matched. Roger and Laurie, we're so happy you made the long trip to join us. Roger, I think we're all in agreement that you have the most interesting stories. And Laurie, thanks for all the pregnancy advice. All four of you were really a pleasure to be around.

I was thinking on the way home while stopped in I- 80 traffic (that's when I have most of my deep thoughts and epiphanies) how great it is to meet such interesting people. Little did we know that buying a used trailer would bring with it such a diverse group of new friends with a common love for camping.

We definitely would love to do it again soon. With any luck we can get a few more to join us! Thanks again to everyone for reminding us what a worthwile purchase our still new to us Argosy was.

The Lawrence Clan
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote