Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 03:33 AM   #681
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Canopener last minute tip #3

I am reprinting a post Luckyducks did last year, information still good for first-time attendees:

First time Canopenians

There are a number of you who are first time rally attendees. Sometimes new rally attendees ask what they are supposed to do during the rally. Other than choosing what events to participate in, the answer is just to walk around and talk to people. Of course, normal tourist activities are abundant in the area, but making friends and comparing Airstream notes seems to be the predominate activity. If you see a campfire going one evening, just crash the party. The fun factor is up to you!

Check out the beaches. The beaches of northwest Florida are absolutely beautiful, with sugar white sand and clear water. A lot of people visit the beach in Topsail Hill Preserve State Park (the state of Florida bought this beachfront tract to preserve it forever). From the campground, the beach is 3/4 of a mile away, so you might want to ride a bicycle (nice bike paths) or take the park's free tram.

Other than the beaches, Google Destin or San Destin for information on the area. There's a lot, I mean a lot, of shopping - you name the store, they probably have it.

Another thing to explore is the community of Seaside. It's about 30 minutes east of the campground and is a picturesque seaside town. The movie, The Truman Show with Jim Carrey, was filmed there. There are 5-6 Airstreams in the center of Seaside that are little restaurants.

Campfires

Topsail Hill Preserve State Park does not have fire pits or places to burn campfires. If you want a fire, you are allowed to bring a fire pit from home.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #682
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Cornhole Tournament

What: Cynthia Thoede Memorial Cornhole Tournament
When: Friday, January 9 at noon
Where: Signup and tournament in front of site 156 on Wild Oak Lane
Entry Cost: $5

This year we are dedicating the tournament to Cynthia Thoede, a long-standing member of our Canopener family who passed away suddenly in September. She and her husband Jeff (Forum name Rivetng) were both known as fierce competitors once the old bag of corn started flying. The entry fee this year will be $5/competitor (or whatever amount over $5 you wish to contribute). All proceeds will be donated to the Gadsden Street United Methodist Church Children and Youth Programs, Pensacola, FL in memory of Cynthia’s dedication to the church and youth. Jeff will be attending and you will still have to fight him on the playing field!

In preparation for the tournament, we need additional cornhole boards (at least 2 more sets) and volunteers for judges/scorekeepers (instruction will be provided). Please sign up below if you are playing or can help. Last minute sign-ups at the tournament location are welcome. This is a single elimination tournament.

Rules and information on the game of cornhole are at: Official Rules for Corn Toss, Cornhole, Bean Bag and Bean Toss

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Players:
1. HowieE
2. Jeff T. (Rivetng)
3. Pete (Moonkitty)
4. Lisa (Chief Simba)

Can Bring Cornhole Boards:
1. Luckyducks
2. Rum Runner
3. Moonkitty

Judges/Scorekeepers:
1. Braith Eldridge
2. Annette Conoly - margaritas accepted as bribes, err... payment, I mean refreshment
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #683
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I know this has to be simple, but how do I add my name to the cornhole tourney list? If I copy and paste, it loses all the bold font and italics.

-Red, making this harder than it is...
Old 01-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #684
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
FL Panhandle , Florida
Stratman, did you mean it when you titled your post "Party Time"? Some of us ladies like to dance, and you play a mean guitar!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #685
The man with "no" plan

1995 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foil-warped View Post
Stratman, did you mean it when you titled your post "Party Time"? Some of us ladies like to dance, and you play a mean guitar!
Last 2 years I brought my stuff only a few participated (the fun people) so I thought we'd do something else. Since I'm the back corner of the loop I thought I'd just light it up with my PAR 64's if the weather permits and DJ this year. I'll bring a microphone and we can use the PA system for the pot luck if we need it. Hope that's ok.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #686
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Wait, there will be fun people there? We may not come now...

-Red, allergic to fun...
Old 01-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #687
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Wait, there will be fun people there? We may not come now...

-Red, allergic to fun...
If you are allergic to fun, just hang out at the other end of the park with your fellow sticks in the mud. Like me…
Old 01-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #688
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you are allergic to fun, just hang out at the other end of the park with your fellow sticks in the mud. Like me…
Protag:

In that you posted at 5:01 p.m., is it safe to assume that you are now a newly-retired stick in the mud?

Happy trails

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #689

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Protag:

In that you posted at 5:01 p.m., is it safe to assume that you are now a newly-retired stick in the mud?
Indubitably. As of the time that I'm posting this I have been retired for 4 hours and 3 minutes! It still doesn't feel real just yet.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #690
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Indubitably. As of the time that I'm posting this I have been retired for 4 hours and 3 minutes! It still doesn't feel real just yet.
Retired 2 years and 2 days ago. It must be working out ok, not working at Walmart - yet.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #691
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have somewhere in the ballpark of 9,490 days till retirement (give or take)......it's probably best that I not count yet

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #692

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
SuEllyn and I are both retired Federal Government Employees. SuEllyn retired on 12/31/1999, and I punched out on 12/31/2001. Now they pay us not to show up and we have filled our time Airsteaming.

We live three miles from Topsail, and will be walk-ins for the Rally. My cell is 850-830-9444. If anyone needs any information about the area, please feel free to give us a call. We have lived here for twenty years and are very familiar with the area.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #693
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
OMG, that's fantastic! I can't even imagine what that must feel like. (In 271 days, I'll find out.)

Congratulations!!!

Joanne
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #694
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Looks like site 63 just opened up if anyone is still looking for a site.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #695
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We will not be participating at Canopener this year (other plans), but hope everyone has a FABULOUS time! Hard to imagine how you would not. Enjoy and be safe!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #696
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
Jonestown , Texas
Congratulations!
Can someone tell me how to post what I am bringing to the potluck?
Texas Gal 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:19 AM   #697

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gal 61 View Post
Find post #628, this thread, which is the last time someone posted the potluck list.

Select the "Quote" button to copy the entire list into your post.

Remove the "QUOTE" tag from the beginning and the "/QUOTE" tag from the end.

Edit it to add your contributions for each potluck that you'll be contributing to, and if you're bringing tables or canopies, and "Submit Reply."

That's it!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:19 AM   #698
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Canopener last minute tip #4

Picking up welcome packets:

Beginning Thursday you can go by and see Roadtoaster (Greg) on site 154 to get your Canopener badges.

You will also receive a welcome bag containing a Schedule of Events, campground maps that Florida 55 (Chuck) has been maintaining, an "Open House" sign you may display on your trailer if you wish to participate in the open house and brochures/information from some of our contributors (Foley Aristream, TCPC and Top of Georgia Aristream parks, Kleen Tank). Be sure and pay attention to all the enclosures, there are some giveaways and freebies in there!

On the subject of the badges, if you have any of the plastic sleeves/clips or lanyards from previous rallies or occasions, please bring those.

Tom
Old 01-03-2015, 06:22 AM   #699
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gal 61 View Post
Congratulations!
Another option is just post what you are bringing and I will add it for you.
Tom
Old 01-03-2015, 06:51 AM   #700
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
What: Cynthia Thoede Memorial Cornhole Tournament
When: Friday, January 9 at noon
Where: Signup and tournament in front of site 156 on Wild Oak Lane
Entry Cost: $5

This year we are dedicating the tournament to Cynthia Thoede, a long-standing member of our Canopener family who passed away suddenly in September. She and her husband Jeff (Forum name Rivetng) were both known as fierce competitors once the old bag of corn started flying. The entry fee this year will be $5/competitor (or whatever amount over $5 you wish to contribute). All proceeds will be donated to the Gadsden Street United Methodist Church Children and Youth Programs, Pensacola, FL in memory of Cynthia’s dedication to the church and youth. Jeff will be attending and you will still have to fight him on the playing field!

In preparation for the tournament, we need additional cornhole boards (at least 2 more sets) and volunteers for judges/scorekeepers (instruction will be provided). Please sign up below if you are playing or can help. Last minute sign-ups at the tournament location are welcome. This is a single elimination tournament.

Rules and information on the game of cornhole are at: Official Rules for Corn Toss, Cornhole, Bean Bag and Bean Toss

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Players:
1. HowieE
2. Jeff T. (Rivetng)
3. Pete (Moonkitty)
4. Lisa (Chief Simba)
5. Kevin (Panama Red) Coroni accepted as tokens of friendship...

Can Bring Cornhole Boards:
1. Luckyducks
2. Rum Runner
3. Moonkitty

Judges/Scorekeepers:
1. Braith Eldridge
2. Annette Conoly - margaritas accepted as bribes, err... payment, I mean refreshment