Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2014, 05:27 AM   #481
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetng View Post
But I gotta say this, if you use the word "Czar" one more time moving forward, I'm gonna hurl!!!!
It is a much-overused title, I'll agree, and misused in this case. A Czar isn't somebody who steps up and does all the thankless work; he's the guy who steps up and makes other people do all the thankless work, and then takes credit for it all. Just like in pre-Soviet Russia, where the title originated.

The guy who actually steps up and does all the thankless work has
other titles here in English-speaking countries. Gofer. Stooge. Grunt. Navvy. Minion. Serf. Lackey. Peon (actually, that's Spanish, but still…). Flunky. Drudge. There are so many to choose from, take your pick!
Old 11-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #482
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
I think Guru fits :-)
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #483

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddledipper View Post
I think Guru fits :-)
I suppose so, but it lacks a certain insouciant iconoclastic irreverence…

But of course, since I've never been to Canopener before, I'm not about to volunteer for any of the positions (yet). The last time I volunteered for something I didn't know enough about, I ended up with a career in Federal civil service! So as far as I'm concerned, the people who actually volunteer can use any title they like and I have no right to complain. Even "Czar," if that's what blows the wind up their skirt, floats their boat, or whatever.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #484
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Quote:
Brother Tom,

Life this year has taught me that the plans we make for the future are sketchy at best. I intend to reconnect with my Canopener family every year for the foreseeable future until I stop breathing. I feel that regardless of the organizational hierarchy, Canopener will live on through the efforts of all of us that plan to attend in the coming years. But I gotta say this, if you use the word "Czar" one more time moving forward, I'm gonna hurl!!!!

I commit to filling in along with anyone else out there that wants to continue to attend Canopener and help in any way possible. From pushing a broom, to editing video, or whatever needs to be done. But if I'm ever referred to as a Czar, I will be forced to shove my Safari off the nearest cliff and go back to tent camping. You know where I stand.

Jeff
To my good Brother Jeff: Please stop fooling around and tell me how you really feel! You would do a fantastic job in any position you felt led to assume...and I would gladly call you whatever title you designate. You have the depth of experience with Canopener to fill any position. I personally think you would make a great host if timing is right for you.

And Panama Red and Mrs. Red: maybe you would like to tag base with Florida 55 to get an idea of what this position entails and see if you are still interested. If so, wonderful!

Thanks for stepping up, folks!

And please, if you are interested in assuming some responsibility during the upcoming rally or for next year, let us know. We still need some potluck coordinators for this year..
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #485
Never Enough Rivets

2000 19' Bambi
2006 23' Safari SE
Pensacola , Florida
Ok guys,

The best "title" for these worker bee positions is one that I became familiar with back during the days of working in my Dad's gas station in Louisiana. Unfortunately I/we can't use the term on this public forum. I like the sound of guru, it's cute. Regardless of what the Oxford Dictionary defines it as, most of us working class, blended whiskey drinkers understand what it implies.

Regarding nametag responsibility, if Greg has had enough of it, I wouldn't mind taking care of it in the future, but he and Pat are still responsible for the Margarita Extravaganza. They do it too well, and I will be busy dragging around the booze wagon. I still offer my broom pushing and easy-up assembly talents as needed. And when it comes to "Host", I think we just need to gather the usual suspects once we are all together and do a few rounds of paper-rock-scissors.

Jeff
Rivetng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #486
Never Enough Rivets

2000 19' Bambi
2006 23' Safari SE
Pensacola , Florida
Boy did I speak out of turn. I read Alumitater's post at approximately 1:00am on Sunday morning after getting a little rowdy at a Corvette Club party. The Czar thing blinded my reading comprehension and only now do I see that "a volunteer for the nametags for 2016" is already in place. So forget what I said about nametags, and I guess I'll just see you at the rock-paper-scissors throw down.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #487
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Quote:
Boy did I speak out of turn. I read Alumitater's post at approximately 1:00am on Sunday morning after getting a little rowdy at a Corvette Club party. The Czar thing blinded my reading comprehension and only now do I see that "a volunteer for the nametags for 2016" is already in place. So forget what I said about nametags, and I guess I'll just see you at the rock-paper-scissors throw down.
Never out of turn, my good man, and always welcome. Bring your best "rock-sissors-paper" game to the throw down.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #488
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Quote:
Hi Jeff,

I think Greg was referring to me as the future name tag volunteer. I'd be happy to do it if we are going to Canopener 2016 - not sure about that yet but will know for sure this coming summer. I'll keep your name in my hip pocket in case we aren't going to be able to attend.

Karen
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #489
Never Enough Rivets

2000 19' Bambi
2006 23' Safari SE
Pensacola , Florida
Hi Karen,

Sounds good to me. If you can't make it, I'll be sure to bring a few Sharpies and just tell everyone to write their names on their foreheads.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #490

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Hi Karen,

Sounds good to me. If you can't make it, I'll be sure to bring a few Sharpies and just tell everyone to write their names on their foreheads.
That works for me! I've got LOTS of forehead!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #491

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Hi Karen,

You may need to assign someone to write your name on your forehead. Writing your name on your own forehead is difficult. I know. I've tried it.

Along this line, can we register to attend parts of the rally? We live two miles from the Topsail campground. We will not need a campsite as Lucy (our Airstream) will be over in Jacksonville.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #492
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If memory serves me, wasn't one reason we started forum rallyies was that the WBCCI rallies were too structured and complicated. Are we getting away from simplicity and closer to what we were trying to avoid? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #493
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
This is our first rally also. But will pitch in with forehead name tags and any other needed tasks.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #494

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
If memory serves me, wasn't one reason we started forum rallyies was that the WBCCI rallies were too structured and complicated. Are we getting away from simplicity and closer to what we were trying to avoid? Jim
At least Canopener doesn't have committees* for everything!

*Committee - Like teamwork, but without the work.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #495
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Protag your retirement date is getting closer.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #496
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Looking forward to retiring in a couple of years. Waiting for our youngest to finish college.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #497
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
There is NO STRUCTURE at the Can Opener. There are no events planned other than the timing of community meals and the notices posted for the convenience of those who wish to attend. Attendance at meals is not mandatory and fines will not be issued to those who do not attend. The closest thing to a structure is the arrangement of the tables necessary to facilitate the Pot Luck dinner.

There are no parking police, you make your own arrangements. No badge police and badges are not required to be worn, badges are available just to facilitate conversations lest you forget who you are talking to.

The Can Opener has grown and long since past the size where one individual could manage it. Steve did originally conceive of the idea and proposed a weekend schedule. That schedule has survived as a foundation with many extending it before and after the weekend. Our first year the Pot Luck was in an empty campsite with 2 6 ft. tables and a 60 watt construction light hung in a tree. We have progressed through several meals held in the Campground rec hall only to outgrow it. The last 2 years the size of the Can Opener required us to again move outside with last year growing to a point of needing 2 serving lines working both sides of each line. With things growing to that size some coordination/planning is required. Since only about 20 people get involved with this coordination/planning I don't think those that are offended by structure will even notice.

Please don't let your stay be threatened by the posts discussing what might appear to be setting up a structure. Those effected have to use this tread also.

I do the garbage.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #498
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
You may need to assign someone to write your name on your forehead. Writing your name on your own forehead is difficult. I know. I've tried it.

Along this line, can we register to attend parts of the rally? We live two miles from the Topsail campground. We will not need a campsite as Lucy (our Airstream) will be over in Jacksonville.

Brian
Hi Brian,
You would be most welcome to stop in anytime you want to. I am sure Roadtoaster will see this and make you and Suellen name tags so no forehead ink needed. Look forward to seeing you,
Old 11-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #499
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
There is NO STRUCTURE at the Can Opener. There are no events planned other than the timing of community meals and the notices posted for the convenience of those who wish to attend. Attendance at meals is not mandatory and fines will not be issued to those who do not attend. The closest thing to a structure is the arrangement of the tables necessary to facilitate the Pot Luck dinner.

There are no parking police, you make your own arrangements. No badge police and badges are not required to be worn, badges are available just to facilitate conversations lest you forget who you are talking to.

The Can Opener has grown and long since past the size where one individual could manage it. Steve did originally conceive of the idea and proposed a weekend schedule. That schedule has survived as a foundation with many extending it before and after the weekend. Our first year the Pot Luck was in an empty campsite with 2 6 ft. tables and a 60 watt construction light hung in a tree. We have progressed through several meals held in the Campground rec hall only to outgrow it. The last 2 years the size of the Can Opener required us to again move outside with last year growing to a point of needing 2 serving lines working both sides of each line. With things growing to that size some coordination/planning is required. Since only about 20 people get involved with this coordination/planning I don't think those that are offended by structure will even notice.

Please don't let your stay be threatened by the posts discussing what might appear to be setting up a structure. Those effected have to use this tread also.

I do the garbage.
Well said Howie.

No one is compelled to attend Canopener, pay a rally fee, participate in the events, or volunteer for anything. What appears to be "structure" is really a gift of time and money by a group of dedicated volunteers who enjoy the rally and continue to make it something special.

I do wonder why a person who doesn't own an Airstream, and isn't signed up for Canopener, is reading the thread and concerned about how the rally is being executed by the people who spend their time making it happen.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #500
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I have owned several AS and I know structure when I see it. The fact that I riled some feathers proves there is structure and order. I'm not saying that is bad, I'm saying that it seems as things get larger and better organized, we are approaching too much of a club identity. As far as WBCCI rallies go, no one in the club is forced to attend. If the fact that I no longer own an AS but have been welcome here is I problem, I can go away. Interesting that the biggest complainer to my comment was the biggest complainer about Falluminum. Me thinks I no longer need to deal with the few on this forum who think they can intimidate. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote