Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #921
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I was just surprised that you need a Yahoo account. Used to be I could use my Google account. But it has been a while since I used Flickr, and I didn't realize they changed it to Yahoo only. I don't have a problem with creating a Yahoo account, once I create yet another password that I can remember, that I haven't already used for some other account. That's why I'll do it later. First I have to review all of my other passwords so I don't duplicate one I've already used.

Hi Pro, check out the software called "LastPass" to end the password nightmare. Its not everyones cup of tea, but I love it.

Cheers

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 01-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #922
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Just wanted to say THANK YOU to all those planning, prepping and attending Canopener!

We met some really great folks and everyone was friendly and willing to answer the 1,000 or so questions I had. I loved the open house and while I was originally hesitant to open my own house I am glad I did. We received so many tips and suggestions I had to keep a notebook. My only regret is that I didn't get to see more of the other open houses. Guess that will give me something to do next year.

To the bloody mary supplier, thank you for being so kind to my young'un. She talked her daddy out of $10 in tips so that she could buy pickles and okra at the 'food booth'. It was only after we strolled around the park looking for the 'food booth' that we realized she was actually partaking of the fixings for the bloody marys. But you never ran her off and everyone there was very sweet to her. I promise next year we will bring her own jar of pickles and okra.

Monya - just wanted you to know the possum is living inside, Abby loves it!

Thanks again and looking forward to seeing everyone again next year!

-Melissa - guessing its still too early to reserve
Old 01-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #923
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.nolte View Post
Thanks again and looking forward to seeing everyone again next year!

-Melissa - guessing its still too early to reserve
I'm planning to make my reservation as soon as the first post in the Canopener 2016 thread is posted telling us what the dates are and that they're taking reservations for those dates on ReserveAmerica.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #924
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Canopener 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'm planning to make my reservation as soon as the first post in the Canopener 2016 thread is posted telling us what the dates are and that they're taking reservations for those dates on ReserveAmerica.

It's a good idea - the main loop last year filled up in perhaps 4 weeks after announcement!

Edit: I mean when reserving for 2015
Just following the 2014 canopener.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #925
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksons Gap , Alabama
This is the first time to get on the forum since arriving home on Monday evening from the Canopener. I was amazed with all of the replies and what a great time everyone is expressing. Reba and I share the same impression that this Canopener was one of the best. If you did not meet at least 20 new friends and laughed until your sides ached, I feel sorry for you. Thank you Tom and Robbin for spearheading and motivating the helpers to go all out to make this past weekend a great memory for us. I am not going to attempt to list names of all of those that made the Canopener special. Panama Red and others covered that pretty well. We look forward to next year.
Frank and Reba
Frank McFee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #926
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
My first time back on the forum too since Topsail. I just want to say that I really enjoyed meeting so many people with their streams. It was great to meet the faces from the many posts and to share ideas, stories and new adventures as in the morning hike, seeing that cool redneck cart (Panama Red) with the coon tail riding around previously posted and then of course meeting new people and I came alone!

Just a note to anyone thinking about going in the future, even if you are to go it alone, it is a great time as you truly do get to crash other people's campfires and talk with them, etc. In a comfortable environment. I met up with the Nolte tribe and saw their neat 30' Sovereign that way and others too. Oh, and even when my potluck food botched Paddledipper stepped in with an idea to fix it! BTW, that long exposed picture is fantastic. Nice to meet all of you. oh, and now I know what Cornhole is after a quick orientation by LuckyDucks and watching it being played.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #927
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Long exposure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
My first time back on the forum too since Topsail. I just want to say that I really enjoyed meeting so many people with their streams. It was great to meet the faces from the many posts and to share ideas, stories and new adventures as in the morning hike, seeing that cool redneck cart (Panama Red) with the coon tail riding around previously posted and then of course meeting new people and I came alone!

Just a note to anyone thinking about going in the future, even if you are to go it alone, it is a great time as you truly do get to crash other people's campfires and talk with them, etc. In a comfortable environment. I met up with the Nolte tribe and saw their neat 30' Sovereign that way and others too. Oh, and even when my potluck food botched Paddledipper stepped in with an idea to fix it! BTW, that long exposed picture is fantastic. Nice to meet all of you. oh, and now I know what Cornhole is after a quick orientation by LuckyDucks and watching it being played.
Rodster:
It was great meeting you and enjoying the Thursday potluck together. Sky(Dale) made the long exposure shot of Silverbee. We talked on Monday morning. We plan to hang it in the trailer. He is a talented photographer.
Once again, the weekend was wonderful. On to Alumalina in March and back to Canopener next year.
Deborah and Tom
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #928
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Greg and I had a great time this weekend and can't wait to do it again, but hopefully next time with an actual Airstream! Thanks to everyone who made us feel welcome and who opened their doors to us. What a great community!

While touring Airstreams on Saturday, we encountered two sets of SOB full-timer bloggers, whose blogs I've been reading for a few years now. What a surprise to meet them in person! One pair, Nancy and Betsy, just started workamping at the Topsail camp store, and just today Nancy wrote a post all about Canopener:

RV-A-GOGO: Surrounded by Tin Cans

Very cool!

Joanne
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #929
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
Greg and I had a great time this weekend and can't wait to do it again, but hopefully next time with an actual Airstream! Thanks to everyone who made us feel welcome and who opened their doors to us. What a great community!

While touring Airstreams on Saturday, we encountered two sets of SOB full-timer bloggers, whose blogs I've been reading for a few years now. What a surprise to meet them in person! One pair, Nancy and Betsy, just started workamping at the Topsail camp store, and just today Nancy wrote a post all about Canopener:

RV-A-GOGO: Surrounded by Tin Cans

Very cool!
Joanne
Oh wow, our little turquoise and orange Attitude Adjuster got a mention and two pictures on the blog. That makes me SMILE!! Wish I had met them but I was out looking at all the other wonderful tin cans at the Rally!
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #930
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Wow. Great article. A Tin Can Invasion.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #931
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Glad it was salvaged Rodster, because it was GOOD!
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #932
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Over 250 photos are up on the Canopener 2015 Flickr site. Here is the link:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2694207@N24/?added=6
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #933
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
It really to bad you folks have put your photos in the member only site. They want you to create a membership and give them a live and active cell phone number. The result will be a bunch of junk coming to my cell number - to bad would have enjoyed seeing the images...
Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 PM   #934
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I suppose you could setup a free site somewhere and ask people to send you their photos to post. I don't know a lot about Flickr, but I don't remember giving them a cell number. If I did, I haven't seen any increase in junk to my cellphone.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #935
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
I did not give Yahoo a cell number when I set up the Flickr account for Canopener. I also didn't give them my regular email address. For these types of sign ups I use a separate email address I can kill later if I start getting spam. I suggest you try setting up an account without providing you cell number.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #936
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
Hi PharmGeek and others. We were there last year so I know you all will have a great time. We are leaving in less than two weeks for Tucson, the Alumafiesta! And to PharmGeek, I know the kiddos will enjoy the beach more after it warms up some. We just wanted to see southwest Arizona.
Tom
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is & 2200 generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #937
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I suppose you could setup a free site somewhere and ask people to send you their photos to post. I don't know a lot about Flickr, but I don't remember giving them a cell number. If I did, I haven't seen any increase in junk to my cellphone.
Thanks for your input and I'm glad you have not seen any increase in your cell phone junk traffic. For me the last thing I need it Yahoo having access to my cell number and selling it to the world.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #938
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
I did not give Yahoo a cell number when I set up the Flickr account for Canopener. I also didn't give them my regular email address. For these types of sign ups I use a separate email address I can kill later if I start getting spam. I suggest you try setting up an account without providing you cell number.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
I just tried again and I give them a burner email address (as recommended) and the signup page tells me that a cell number is REQUIRED and will NOT allow me to move forward.

To bad, but thanks for the input. I just don't need to see these images bad enough to get a bunch of junk from Yahoo. Everyone I know who uses them for their mail service has been pummelled with hacked accounts mailing spam to everyone in their contact lists.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:32 AM   #939
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
I just tried again and I give them a burner email address (as recommended) and the signup page tells me that a cell number is REQUIRED and will NOT allow me to move forward.

To bad, but thanks for the input. I just don't need to see these images bad enough to get a bunch of junk from Yahoo. Everyone I know who uses them for their mail service has been pummelled with hacked accounts mailing spam to everyone in their contact lists.
Yahoo bought Flickr. Google bought Picasa. Both Yahoo and Google make money by selling information gathered from their "free" services. Loss of privacy is the price we pay for many "free" internet services.

A fictional cell phone number might be one way to overcome the problem. I know movies and television show use the "555" number prefix for fictional numbers.

I certainly understand the concern about revealing one's cell phone number. I set up my Yahoo and Flickr accounts long before this requirement was instituted so I wasn't even aware of the cell phone number requirement. I'll study the issue over the next year and try to find another solution for photo sharing prior to Canopener 2016. I have no experience with Picasa and Instagram. Perhaps a Canopener website is the best answer.

I'm open to suggestions.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:37 AM   #940
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
They text a number to your cell phone that you use to log in... Not sure how you would do it if you don't have a cell phone. Surely they have an option for people without a phone.

-Red, and don't call me Shirley...