Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #881
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Mrs Red and I decided that we REALLY screwed up by coming to Canopener. It was our first ever rally, and I'm pretty sure we ruined ourselves for any other rally we will attend... We'll be all like, "Well, sure it's a cool rally, but it's not Canopener!"

We had the BEST TIME EVER at Canopener. If they'd let me reserve my spot right now for next year, I would. You are the greatest group of people I've met in a long time... Lisa, Tom, Frank, Joy and Jared, Joshua, Tim and Jim, Brenda and Tami (Tami wouldn't give me a burger for some reason...), Wayne and Julie, Annette, Levon (great rye bro), Greg, Russ, Blanche (who I want a rematch with next year in the Cornhole tournament), TJ, Henry, Melissa and Brian, Bill and Shelley, Pete and Beth, Jose, Alex and his crew.... Ok, I realized I just screwed up, because I'll be here typing names all night. Man, so many awesome people. Hope I get to see y'all more often than once a year. Y'all come by the house one weekend. It'll be a blast! Plan on boondocking...

-Red, overwhelmed...
Old 01-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #882
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Mrs Red and I decided that we REALLY screwed up by coming to Canopener. It was our first ever rally, and I'm pretty sure we ruined ourselves for any other rally we will attend... We'll be all like, "Well, sure it's a cool rally, but it's not Canopener!"
Now go out and attend a small rally somewhere. That way, you don't have to compare it to Canopener because you'll have a completely new set of expectations.

Canopener 2015 was my first big rally, but not my first-ever rally. I've been to various WBCCI rallies before, and the informal "Two Weeks From Everywhere" AirForums rallies at various parks in Louisiana. They're all unique, and I have no reason to even try comparing one rally to another. They may be different varieties of fun, but they're all fun.

And if that doesn't work, host your own rally somewhere! Organizing an informal rally can be as simple as announcing on the AirForums "I'm going to be camping at XXXXX Park the weekend of MMM-DD-YYYY. There's still NN spaces that haven't been reserved. Y'all come and join me!" That is exactly how the "Two Weeks from Everywhere" rally got started.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #883
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Protagonist, it was great meeting you
Mr and Mrs Panama Red, how did you remember everyone's names? We're you taking notes?
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #884
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Now go out and attend a small rally somewhere. That way, you don't have to compare it to Canopener because you'll have a completely new set of expectations.

Canopener 2015 was my first big rally, but not my first-ever rally. I've been to various WBCCI rallies before, and the informal "Two Weeks From Everywhere" AirForums rallies at various parks in Louisiana. They're all unique, and I have no reason to even try comparing one rally to another. They may be different varieties of fun, but they're all fun.

And if that doesn't work, host your own rally somewhere! Organizing an informal rally can be as simple as announcing on the AirForums "I'm going to be camping at XXXXX Park the weekend of MMM-DD-YYYY. There's still NN spaces that haven't been reserved. Y'all come and join me!" That is exactly how the "Two Weeks from Everywhere" rally got started.

Sorry, I have to compare each rally to the next, just as I compare every person I meet to each other... Some of you really need to step it up if you want to move up on Panama Red's List of Awesome People.

-Red, being judgmental of everyone equally, because I'm nice that way...
Old 01-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #885
Never Enough Rivets

2000 19' Bambi
2006 23' Safari SE
Pensacola , Florida
Canopener, more than just a happy hour with wheels

Five years ago when we attended our first Canopener, Cindy and I realized early on that there was something special about this group of people. A fellowship of like minded individuals from all walks of life, sharing a long weekend with the goal of relaxation and enjoying the simple pleasures of life, good food, good drink, and easy conversation. Little did we know that this group of folks all smitten with Wanderlust would come to mean so much more. People pass into and out of our lives like chapters in a book and I am here to tell you that as I turn the page of the next chapter in my life, I am convinced that my "same time next year" friends have been placed in my path to ensure joy through the blessings of our time together in the future.

You are truly so much more than a bunch of retirees, cut-ups, and story tellers. You are family. I thank you for just being there, and Cindy thanks you as well!

Levon, you left without the XR bottle I have for you. I will hold it till next year.

Lisa, next year will be warmer. If not, I'll buy you two matching coats.

Jose, please do send the recipe for that drink of yours.

Ron, your dedication to building relationships with Airstream owners in commendable and I would tell someone to drive 1,000 miles out of their way to do business with you.

And to all you other wonderful people, God bless you until we meet again.

Jeff
Rivetng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #886
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Thanks to Tom and Robin for being the hosts of this year's Canopener. Their efforts, and all the other volunteer efforts, have resulted in the best Canopener yet! Also thanks to Foley RV, Dixie RV, Inland RV, and others for the great door prizes and other contributions. And a special thanks to the personnel and volunteers of Topsail Hill Preserve State Park for going the extra mile in making the park such a fantastic place for our rally.

See everyone at Canopener 2016!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #887
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I am so sorry we had to miss our first Rally this year. Having to go to Asheville next week to be with family. You all sound like you had such a wonderful time! I am so jealous! What is the date for next year's rally?

Laura & Tom
Old 01-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #888
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and The Uglier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 CanOpener.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	230267  

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 01-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #889
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2021 28' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
I'm on the left... I guess I'm good..sorry Joe...
Bonnie and I want to thank Tom/Robin and the rest of the gang for a great weekend!! Blessed to be a part of this group...
WBCCI #17771
Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
DeltaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:40 AM   #890
The man with "no" plan

1995 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Sorry to everyone for turning in early on Saturday night but Theresa and I had both been ill before the rally and the cold just caught up on us. Thanks to all for the fun week. We'll be there next year and this time I'll bring warmer weather (or a propane heater).
Old 01-12-2015, 05:44 AM   #891
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post

I resemble that comment!

AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #892
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
JJ & I had a great time. Thanks to Tom & Robin and everyone that made this Canopener so wonderful!
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:48 AM   #893
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Another wonderful Canopener. Thanks to all the hard working host and volunteers. Special thanks to all the sponsors. Getting ready to hit the road and of course it is raining.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #894
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Final Bell

Canopener 2015 Thank You

The Sunday morning potluck was well attended, with a capacity crowd at the Clubhouse. Fantastic food, Bloody Mary’s and Mamosas courtesy of Rivetng and 2ColliesCan, and Phil for providing the PA system.

Thus concluded Canopener 2015.

In reflection, I thought it all went so smoothly due to the volunteers, sponsors and participants…..and the Good Lord blessing us with good weather. Admittedly cool, but at least we were dry!

Many folks to thank, but I need to add special thanks to the following:

1. Greg and Pat Hadaway (Roadtoaster): for providing all our name tags, checking in attendees, handing out welcome packets and Margarita Day.

2. Chuck and Susan Nesbit (Florida 55) for creating the our map and the photo logs of our event.

3. Joe and Annette Conoly (AirHeadsRus) for Bloody Mary day and Annette’s skills of “Culinary Choreographer”.

4. Russ and Linda Drake (Luckyducks) for heading up the corn hole tournament and for being my “host” guide.

5. Howie (HowieE) for being the behind the scene guy who makes sure everything is set up and cleaned up for all our potlucks

6. Everybody who volunteered to assist with all the tasks and events!

6. Davis Hawthorne for providing the music for our Saturday night block party

7. Rick Foley and Ron Lester of Foley Airstream RV for providing Davis Hawthorne and the majority of our door prizes

Special Thanks to our Canopener contributors who provided door prizes, assistance or entertainment for our event:

Airstream, Inc.

Davis and Sax Entertainment, Gulfport, MS

Foley Airstream RV, Gulfport, MS

Highland Haven Airstream Park, Floyd, VA

Inland Airstream RV, Corona, CA

Kleen Tank, Sycamore, IL

Tennessee Cumberland Plateau Campground (TCPC) Airstream Park, Crossville, TN

Top of Georgia Airstream Park, Helen, GA

Dixie RV, DeFuniak Springs, FL

And special appreciation to Ranger Fred Provost and all the staff at Topsail Hill Preserve who worked so diligently to make our rally a success…..again!

We now officially hand off the baton to Annette Conoly, next year's hostess!

Tom and Robin
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #895
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Good grief, I look pregnant! Time to lay off the second helpings.

Echoing others, this was another great Canopener. Every year I meet new people and manage to remember a few more names of folks that attended the previous year. It's a great group. We also extend our thanks to Tom and Robin, the volunteers, sponsors and the park staff. It's a team effort and there seems to be no shortage of people wanting to help.

See you all next year. Annette, your goal is to fill the park with aluminum.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #896
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
Wonderful Memories

Food, music, stories, games, old friends, new friends, open house, dance, hiking, wind, cold, drink....and many more unforgettable memories....and all those who made it possible....THANK YOU.
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #897
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Great planning and fantastic execution from all angles. God bless you all and let the count down begin for Canopener 2016. Great leadership Tom ...... You ladies rock.

Joshua & Lola.

F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #898
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCan View Post
Protagonist, it was great meeting you
Mr and Mrs Panama Red, how did you remember everyone's names? We're you taking notes?

I kept the map with everyone's name on it, because I am the worlds worst at remembering names. Cool thing is, I get to make all new same old friends every time I meet someone again.

-Red, back at work and counting down to next year...
Old 01-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #899
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Red, something tells me that any rally you attend will be great rally because you're there....

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #900
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
We still haven't left, and won't until Wednesday. Whole different park with all the aluminum....

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote