Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #521
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Pot lucks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I am just starting to catch up with this thread and looking forward to meeting all you AVATARS out there in real life! This may have been done but for those of us new, tell us about how many pot lucks to plan for, and what other things that require packing for, etc. I don't want to be a moocher but rather an contributor. I gather there are three pot licks it looks like (thanks Howie).
Hello Rodsterfl
So glad you've choosen to participate in the Can Opener. Regarding potlucks, all of them, as is every event, are totally voluntary. That being said, if y'all are there early, Thursday has turned into Chili Night potluck, of course there's the Saturday Night Throw Down potluck - that's a bring your favorite potluck dish - and the last potluck is the Sunday Morning breakfast.
A note to you and all 1st timers (and perhaps a reminder to others!) as to what to bring: please make enough food to feed a minimum of 10+ people; please bring all your own eating utensils and drinks (the exception to the drinks is Margaritaville Friday and Bloody Saturday!!); and Friday night is also a BYOC - bring your own chair, and table too for that matter! As Howie mentioned earlier, always provide a serving utensil for your potluck dish and label what your fabulous culinary entree is!!! Speaking of labels, it would be wise to put your name on all your serving pieces, that way when those of us that are tossing the dishes to the side, err I mean when those of us that are clearing and cleaning the tables, you'll be able to ID your stuff!
Hope that helps, or perhaps hinders, your participation! The bottom line for all of the Can Opener is to have FUN
Annette
Old 11-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #522
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Oops, I meant BYOC for Saturday night!
Annette
Old 11-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #523
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Hi all,
We've been full-time for the past year and everytime I spy a rally, either too far in the future to know where we'd be, wrong time, wrong place. Finally we'll make one (tho technically, I guess we'll be party crashers as Topsail is full—shock—and we will be staying down the road at Grayton Beach, #59 should any other late bloomers want to cluster for a Canopener East Annex). While we've seen the occasional neighboring streamer to chat with, it's lonely out there nestled between the montster Mo Hos... Looking forward to meeting a few of those "avatars" who have many times smoothed our leap into living on the road with sage advice and no small amount of encouragement.
Al & Robin.
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #524
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Canopener 2012 Throwback

Thought some of the new folks might like to see the Canopener 12 video that I produced. This was the last year that Jenn and I hosted, and probably the last year that everyone fit into the Clubhouse. Canopener has grown to the point that it needs more volunteers each year to be successful. You can call them anything you wish (organizers, guru's, whatever), but without their efforts, it would a bit chaotic and not nearly as enjoyable. One of the reasons for Canopener's success has been the willingness of the "volunteers" to do whatever was necessary to make it happen. I made the mistake of trying to do too much on my own when we were hosting, and consequently became quite grumpy by the end of the rally. Russ was much smarter, and formed a committee to handle different tasks. I saw that Tom is asking for 2016 volunteers, and I encourage you to step forward and continue to support this great Airstream Rally. Even though we have sold our Airstream, some of our best memories are of the Canopener Rallies. We are looking forward to attending this year and visiting with old friends (staying in one of the aluminum-sided cabins).

Ron & Jenn

Canopener 2012 - YouTube

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #525
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I just looked at the sites and as of tonight at 11:54pm, there is only one RV site left at Topsail Canopener weekend- site #21!!! We pretty much filled the place.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:56 AM   #526
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Thought some of the new folks might like to see the Canopener 12 video that I produced. This was the last year that Jenn and I hosted, and probably the last year that everyone fit into the Clubhouse. Canopener has grown to the point that it needs more volunteers each year to be successful. You can call them anything you wish (organizers, guru's, whatever), but without their efforts, it would a bit chaotic and not nearly as enjoyable. One of the reasons for Canopener's success has been the willingness of the "volunteers" to do whatever was necessary to make it happen. I made the mistake of trying to do too much on my own when we were hosting, and consequently became quite grumpy by the end of the rally. Russ was much smarter, and formed a committee to handle different tasks. I saw that Tom is asking for 2016 volunteers, and I encourage you to step forward and continue to support this great Airstream Rally. Even though we have sold our Airstream, some of our best memories are of the Canopener Rallies. We are looking forward to attending this year and visiting with old friends (staying in one of the aluminum-sided cabins).

Ron & Jenn

Canopener 2012 - YouTube
Ron, thanks for the comments and for posting the video. We did have fun! Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:00 AM   #527
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post

Ron & Jenn

Canopener 2012 - YouTube
Thanks, Chief, for your participation and your experience in hosting Canopener. And thanks for reminding attendees we sure need volunteers each year to pull off a successful rally.

We still need a couple of folks to volunteer to "ride herd" on the Thursday night Chili and Dessert and the Sunday morning potlucks for this year's rally. These events pretty much run themselves, but do require someone go over to the clubhouse early to make sure tables and chairs are arranged for the event and then return the clubhouse to original condition afterwards. I promise you will not be by yourselves.....folks always pitch in to help. Holler at me if you could help out.

Look forward to more frequent posts as we enter our last month of preparations.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #528
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcate View Post
Hi all,
We've been full-time for the past year and everytime I spy a rally, either too far in the future to know where we'd be, wrong time, wrong place. Finally we'll make one (tho technically, I guess we'll be party crashers as Topsail is full—shock—and we will be staying down the road at Grayton Beach, #59 should any other late bloomers want to cluster for a Canopener East Annex). While we've seen the occasional neighboring streamer to chat with, it's lonely out there nestled between the montster Mo Hos... Looking forward to meeting a few of those "avatars" who have many times smoothed our leap into living on the road with sage advice and no small amount of encouragement.
Al & Robin.
What a great idea. Hopefully others that are wanting to attend but have not been able to get a spot at Topsail will join you.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #529
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Hoping so... thanks for the "endorsement"
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #530
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
We can pitch in. Hope to arrive on Thursday.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #531
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The closer we get to Canopener time more people will drop out. Keep a close eye on the Topsail reservations page for openings.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #532
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCan View Post
We can pitch in. Hope to arrive on Thursday.
Thanks, BassCan! I'll send you a PM to follow up.
Tom
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #533
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Newark , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumitater View Post
We still need a couple of folks to volunteer to "ride herd" on the Thursday night Chili and Dessert and the Sunday morning potlucks for this year's rally. These events pretty much run themselves, but do require someone go over to the clubhouse early to make sure tables and chairs are arranged for the event and then return the clubhouse to original condition afterwards. I promise you will not be by yourselves.....folks always pitch in to help. Holler at me if you could help out.
I'd be happy to help out for the Sunday morning potluck. I'm a newbie here but not to rally's in general. Not sure what time we'll get in on Thursday but we are staying until Monday so have lots of time on Sunday. And by Sunday I won't be a newbie!
I even have my own bullhorn to call everyone. Still looking for that special dinner bell.
Beth
Moonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #534
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I will help too-- somewhere.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #535
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
I never mind lending a helping hand either, just point me in the direction you need me.
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #536
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I too remember the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Canopener. Time for Airstream fun and food. Hope to make it back one day.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #537
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
We will be around and helping whoever whereever needed. Maybe I will remember I'm not the boss and advice giver, too...
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #538
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Will Be Glad To Help On Sunday Morning

We are staying on after Canopener for a few days, so would be glad to help on Sunday morning. Just let us know what we can help with.
Tom and Deborah
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #539
Never Enough Rivets

2000 19' Bambi
2006 23' Safari SE
Pensacola , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonkitty View Post
I'd be happy to help out for the Sunday morning potluck. I'm a newbie here but not to rally's in general. Not sure what time we'll get in on Thursday but we are staying until Monday so have lots of time on Sunday. And by Sunday I won't be a newbie!
I even have my own bullhorn to call everyone. Still looking for that special dinner bell.
Beth
I will help Beth on Sunday morning. I have to be there early to set up the Mimosa bar anyway.

Jeff
Rivetng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #540
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksons Gap , Alabama
Reba and I are available to help where ever needed. We will arrive Thursday afternoon and I will be available to help get tables and chairs set up for the Chili supper on Thursday evening. I will help with the same requirement on Sunday. Just point me in the direction.
Frank and Reba
Frank McFee is offline   Reply With Quote