Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #341
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Dear Pharm420Geek, does this mean you won't be bringing brownies to the potluck?

-Red

Oh dear - I make one joke and now will never hear the end of it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #342
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
I'm seeing a brownie cookoff, similar to a chili cookoff, on Canopener's schedule of events. Tables of brownies and ice cream as far as the eye can see...
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #343
Never Enough Rivets

2000 19' Bambi
2006 23' Safari SE
Pensacola , Florida
Ummmmmh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddledipper View Post
I'm seeing a brownie cookoff, similar to a chili cookoff, on Canopener's schedule of events. Tables of brownies and ice cream as far as the eye can see...
You just described my version of heaven.
Rivetng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #344
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetng View Post
You just described my version of heaven.

Sure, until you watch me decimate a table of brownies and ice cream... It can get rather ugly.

-Red, The Brownie Annihilator...
Old 10-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #345
Never Enough Rivets

2000 19' Bambi
2006 23' Safari SE
Pensacola , Florida
New Activity Potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Sure, until you watch me decimate a table of brownies and ice cream... It can get rather ugly.

-Red, The Brownie Annihilator...
So in addition to the Cornhole tournament, maybe we should have a brownie eating completion.
Rivetng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #346
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetng View Post
So in addition to the Cornhole tournament, maybe we should have a brownie eating completion.

If we could combine the two, and make them Bourbon Glazed Brownies... The Bourbon Glazed Brownie Cobbler Eating Cornhole Tournament Contest (and we're talking NORMAL brownies here, PharmGeek). I'm in!!!

-Red, taking Protagonist's ideas to the next level...
Old 10-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #347
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Canopener 2015 Map Update 10-17-2014

Canopener 2015 rally maps have been updated to show the current reported reservation status. A quick count shows a total of 101 reservations for the rally. Links to the maps appear below. If you have registered with the campground, and haven't registered with the rally, please go to the rally RSVP page to record your name and site number.

Canopener 2015 Map - 103 Loop

Canopener 2015 Map - Outside 103 Loop

Canopener 2015 Rally RSVP Page
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #348
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Could you include a brownie map please...

-Red, planning his brownie eating ahead of time...
Old 10-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #349
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Sycamore , Illinois
Outside Loop, Site 66

FYI, our names are Jim and Debbie -- our dogs are Trey and Fiona. Noted on the most recent map that you have our dog's names as the Airstreamers (not that they aren't also). Just didn't want to show up and get two name badges with our dog's names on them!
2ColliesCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #350
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Proposed agenda and miscellaneous information

Proposed agenda as of 10/20/14:

Canopenians:

Here is an update on our progress towards Canopener 2015. By the number of RSVP’s so far, we are on track for a record attendance.

For those of you who will be attending for the first time, welcome! And we think you will thoroughly enjoy yourselves and Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. Robin and I rate it as one of the finest we have ever encountered…..and hope you will too.

I have included the full name of the park to draw your attention to the “preserve” aspect of Topsail. The park has not only a “class A” RV park, but one of the most beautiful beaches you will ever see anywhere and several miles of paved trails for walking, jogging or cycling. There are also several connecting unpaved trails for your enjoyment. I want to encourage you to not only enjoy the Canopener festivities but avail yourselves to the beauty of the park.

Note we have planned three pot luck events for which we will be posting a sign-up on this thread so we don't end up with all desserts…….tell me again why that would be a bad thing?

We are still working on the agenda for the rally but here is what we have planned so far. Bear in mind this is not the final agenda, but it should be pretty close:

Thursday, January 8:

Chili and dessert pot luck (4:30PM): For the past couple of years we have had this event on Thursday evening which is a good opportunity for early arrivals to get together and have some fun and good food. Location will be the clubhouse.

Americana Under the Stars (6PM): As last year, Topsail is hosting an event called “Americana Under the Stars” Thursday evening from 6:00pm until 8:00pm and the entertainer will be Brian Smalley. This event is open to the public and we arranged the pot luck for late afternoon so we can attend and not interfere with the event. It will be at either the clubhouse or the amphitheater (TBA).

Friday, January 9:

Hike with the Ranger (9AM): This was a lot of fun last year and is a great morning light hike to some of the interesting parts of the preserve. The ranger explains the flora and fauna and points out some of the beauty of the park. Great for adults and kids alike. Additional details TBA.

Cynthia Thoede Memorial Cornhole Tournament (noon): Stan and Lynn Lemons (Forum name StanandLynn), site 156, will again host the cornhole tournament on Wild Oak Lane. The single elimination tournament kicks off at noon.

This year we are dedicating the tournament to Cynthia Thoede, a long-standing member of our Canopener family who passed away suddenly in September. She and her husband Jeff (Forum name Rivetng) were both known as fierce competitors and a force to be reckoned with once the old bag of corn started flying. The entry fee this year will be $5/competitor (or whatever amount over $5 you wish to contribute). All proceeds will be donated to the Gadsden Street United Methodist Church Children and Youth Programs, Pensacola, FL in memory of Cynthia’s dedication to the church and youth. Jeff will be attending and you will still have to fight him on the playing field!

Saturday, January 10

Breakfast with the Ranger (9AM): We are hoping to have this event again at the clubhouse. In the past few years, the breakfast was prepared by the Friends of the Park or Camp Hosts at a cost of about $5/head, proceeds to the Friends of the Park for park improvements. The ranger gave a history of the park, flora and fauna and other interesting information. Great event for adults and kids alike. This event is open to the entire park and is first come, first served, seating limited to about 80 people.

Trailer Open House (Noon): In your welcome packet you will receive an “Open House” sign which you can post on your site indicating your Airstream is available for viewing during open house so you can show off the decorating ideas you have incorporated into your Airstream. Attendees will be walking around getting to know one another and having a great time. Rick Foley and Ron Lester of Foley RV (our Airstream dealer in Gulfport, MS) will have a new Airstream on display on site 166.

Pot Luck dinner (5PM): on Wild Oak Lane. This is a don’t miss opportunity to enjoy some of the finest food on the coast prepared by our attendees and is the main event of the rally. We will have live music (Davis and Sax) after dinner provided courtesy of Foley RV. We will also be giving away door prizes provided by Foley RV, Airstream, Inc., and others TBA.

Sunday, January 11:

Potluck breakfast (9AM): served in the clubhouse. This will be our final event for the rally.

Stay tuned for additional information and details as we get closer to the event date.

Final note: Canopener is a family-friendly event and we expect to have some young folks attending with their parents. There has been some friendly banter on the thread about pot brownies and such. I know I shouldn't need to say this…..but just in case….all attendees should be aware alcoholic beverages are prohibited in public areas in all Florida state parks (discretion is the key) and marijuana is considered an illegal controlled substance. ’Nuff said.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #351
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Canopener 2015 Map Updates - as of 10/20/2015

Map update links below including replacing dogs with people on site 66 .

Canopener 2015 Map 103 Loop

Canopener 2015 Map Sites Outside Loop 103

It appears this will be the largest Canopener rally with over 100 Airstreams participating. Given the size of the rally, and the planning effort required, the organizers request you report your rally attendance on the RSVP page. A campground reservation does not automatically register you with the rally. When you RSVP, please include first names of all people in your Airstream so we can make the proper name tags. We'll be using the RSVP list for the name tags so please check to make sure the information is correct. Here is a link to the RSVP page for the rally.

Canopener 2015 RSVP Page
Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #352
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
We are smuggling in some SOB friends. They will be in 124. Their 5th wheel should stick out like a sore thumb in this sea of aluminum. Of course, a couple of us will be in fiberglass boxes which might stick out as well.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #353
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoaster View Post
We are smuggling in some SOB friends. They will be in 124. Their 5th wheel should stick out like a sore thumb in this sea of aluminum. Of course, a couple of us will be in fiberglass boxes which might stick out as well.
Do they have names or are they coming anonymously?
Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #354
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
No screen name since they aren't members here, but they do like to be called Karen and Rick.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #355
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Mrs Red is concerned that you all will think we're trouble makers, with all the "Bourbon Glazed Pot Brownie" comments... and, since she hasn't logged on here to set the record straight, I guess I'll leave it that way.

-Red, aggravating the Mrs for 32 years now...
Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #356

1974 31' Sovereign
O Brien , Florida
Oh, I now have an account, Panama Red and now I can set the record straight!!! For the record, we are not trouble makers. I will do ALL that I can do to keep ole Red straight. I can't promise , especially if ya'll egg him on... he LOVES an audience

I am very excited about the Canopener and can't wait to see what ya'll have done to your airstreams!
Mrs. Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #357
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Some couple of ladies were pouring some kinda tomatoe juice for attendees - they even put like celery and okra and pickles in it - so nifty - I'm not a big fan of tomato juice but put some in my 3 year old's sippy cup - he enjoyed it and went to bed early that afternoon and slept like a log

This place is super kid friendly!!

I kid more of course regarding the above

Interesting - someone PM'd me before canopener 2014 warning me that it's just a bunch of old drunks (I am paraphrasing uncharitably for effect) but we enjoyed what was a relaxed family friendly weekend and met a few other families while there that was free of annoying drunk people or illicit substance use

Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #358
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Canopener 2015

Topsail is wonderful too

If you have kids bring bikes - if have small kids bring one or two if those pull behind bike trailers - we pull them in a trailer and use a second one for beach gear

Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #359
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Oooops, pushed it too far...

-Red, signing off for a bit...
Old 10-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #360
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
And, after reading the activities list, this thing sounds better and better. We have a friend here in North Florida that is a biologist for the state, and he took us for a guided canoe trip down the Ichetucknee River some years ago. That was incredibly interesting. Lived here most of my life and learned a lot of local history I never knew. So, the ranger guided event should be awesome. Looking forward to meeting everyone here, and participating in the different activities. I'm guessing I go out in the first round of the Cornhole tournament... I stand a much better chance of winning a brownie eating contest, just have plenty of milk on hand.

Pharm, we learned the tomato juice trick years ago, but they always seemed to wake up REALLY grumpy... I'm thinking tomato juice has some kind of chemical effect on the brain.

-Red, not really signing off...